Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz/Chatel/Les Gets/Morzine 2016/2017

Poster: A snowHead
It'll be fine. Says he, confidentially rolling eyes
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There was 3cm @ 1250m last night
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It seems there was 5cm last night in Avoriaz, whoop whoop.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Puking it down at 1100m now. Proper big, fluffy flakes. Settling fast and been a couple of cm in last 10mins
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Still coming down in the Les Gets village. 5 cm now.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If anyone is transferring to or from Chatel this weekend, be aware that the road to Thonon is closed with a diversion in place. http://www.lemessager.fr/chablais/la-route-de-la-vallee-d-abondance-coupee-apres-un-ia923b926n176211
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just started to turn to rain before up at Prodain, carnage on the road going up with stationery cars with no winter tyres/chains. All seems to have calmed down a bit and raining in Morzine village sadly.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Big old rock blocking the road. That and the snow will liven up Paris transfer Saturday!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
BergenBergen wrote:
If anyone is transferring to or from Chatel this weekend, be aware that the road to Thonon is closed with a diversion in place. http://www.lemessager.fr/chablais/la-route-de-la-vallee-d-abondance-coupee-apres-un-ia923b926n176211

Not so. It was closed Wednesday to Friday, they reopened it late on Friday afternoon and will keep it open until 08:00 on Monday, then shut it again for further safety work.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Absolutely chucking it down with thick sleet in the village here and visibility is very poor. Not sure on conditions up top, hopefully coming down as snow rolling eyes
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Heavy snow all day above 1100m, coming down at a few cm per hour in lindarets. It's heavy wet stuff, but that's exactly what's required to set up a decent base. Plenty of fresh snow fun to be had in the trees and not that busy either. Looks like another day of this is forecast too. Smashing
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Good to hear @Nelbert75! Coming down as snow now, very heavy. Hope it continues.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just to reiterate the above comments, snow down to about 1100m but very wet below 1500m and obviously gets better the higher you go. Very poor viz up top today though and avi risk of 4.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just cleared a good 30-40cm of fresh snow off the drive at 1100m that's fallen over night. I love a day that starts with the snow blower!!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
About 70 cm fresh at 1250m.
Heading out in 15 mins.
ski holidays
Quite busy in Les Gets at 9 this morning, we went up to the Chavannes and it was full of ski schools, lovely ski down to the village seeing only one other person and then we went over to the other quiet side, and spent the morning there. We could see from the Grande Ourse at coffee time that the LG side pistes were pretty busy.
It was all change this weekend, the bus now comes round four times an hour and the French seem to have reclaimed the village, hardly an English voice to be heard yesterday. I didn't ski but my OH said the only English he heard was on his return down the Vorosses when a rather imperious female voice was heard to say, 'turn right now' - to get over the poma track for the Paika.
Back to the UK tomorrow for three weeks.
snow conditions
Pamski wrote:
It was all change this weekend, the bus now comes round four times an hour and the French seem to have reclaimed the village, hardly an English voice to be heard yesterday.

Lots of French people, speaking French in a French ski resort? How rude! snowHead
snow report
@SlipnSlide, it was an appreciation of native voices around. We often ski in Praz de Lys, and the almost complete lack of English voices there is very refreshing.
ski holidays
@Dashed, Left for a work trip last night. My wife has had to clear 30-40cm of fresh snow off the drive.

Now I am scared to go back.
snow report
Matt1959 wrote:
@Dashed, Left for a work trip last night. My wife has had to clear 30-40cm of fresh snow off the drive.

Why? In case she stops clearing the snow?
snow report
Pamski wrote:
@SlipnSlide, it was an appreciation of native voices around. We often ski in Praz de Lys, and the almost complete lack of English voices there is very refreshing.

Yes sorry, was just being flippant wink

I have to admit though there's been the odd time when I've been patiently waiting my turn in a lift queue, listening to the locals nattering away seemingly unaware that they've just pushed right in front of me, and I've thought to myself "Bloomin' foreigners!", before remembering that its actually me who's the foreigner... Very Happy
ski holidays
Matt1959 wrote:

Since it started snowing this weekend, all my wife has done is stare through the window.

...if it gets any heavier I guess I'll have to unlock the door and let her in.

Baboom tish! I'm here all week.
snow report
Happy valley was pretty untracked today as the road that leads to it was roped-off ( does that mean closed Smile )
The road was closed for avalanche danger ( Risk was posted as 2 today ).
We accessed from the side as it avoids the cliff above the road and is flatter, so avoiding the main avalanche danger
The cornice on the right looked pretty gnarly and nobody had dropped in there, so we rode along a few of meters back from the edge and dropped in lower where it did not look likely to break away - it was fine. The snow was maybe 35 cm deep, but a little wet and heavy.

@Snoozeboy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
anyone got a link to a site that hosts local privately owned catered chalets? For Les gets.

thanks, Greg
snow report
I went through Chaletsdirect.com

Ended up at Chalet Gentiame last week which was excellent
snow report
Hey all. Driving up on Saturday, apart from usual half term carnage, anything should be aware of, how is the road to Avoriaz, is it clear etc. I have chains and winter tyres, just want to know the state of play.

G
latest report
Me too. An update on all of that would be welcome - also an indication of the resort conditions? Driving to Reims today then down to Morzine on Saturday. Presume there will be half term travel chaos...
ski holidays
Road up to Avoriaz will be clear. A few days since any fresh snow here and not been particularly cold. Would need another big dump to give any chaos, other than normal busy half term roads.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Looks like temperatures are staring to creep up early next week - up to 6C at points. Be interesting to see how that effects conditions, especially the busy runs back into resort.
snow report
@Handy Turnip,
I think it will definitely affect conditions. It's going to be super warm all week with heavy traffic. I think the pistes will hold up ok because of the artificial snow but expect lots of snow melt and green patches alongside the pistes below 1800m.
snow conditions
Cheers- just passing Les Neyrolles on A40. Getting very slow...driving conditions good down here though lots of fog and blizzards further North!
latest report
Went to La Chapelle today - good snow coverage, a bit heavy off piste, very sunny no one around.
There were a few (6 maybe) people in ESS classes in Torgon, but otherwise we had the place to ourselves.
snow report
So, @zzz, still no repeat of last year's epic powder day but@Handy Turnip is likely to be quite happy?
latest report
@WindOfChange, good call. As always, if there's enough snow it's just the best place to go in a busy week.
snow conditions
@under a new name,
If @Handy Turnip, wants to ski in the sun on piste he's going to be a happy boy, as I am too because after Feb, the off piste will be consigned to next year, most of the snow will be gone and as you know, I will be otherwise focussed. The problem is for you tour operators; the general feeling is the last few seasons have been pants so the ski business is over. That will affect your bookings but we have both seen it before.

As an aside, I skied Pleney/Nyon today. Above 1600m it was still quite fun with wintry snow but the off piste was rock strewn, below 1600m the snow was largely man made.
latest report
@zzz, @under a new name, I arrive on Monday and yes, i'll be sticking on piste so will definitely be happy if we get blue skies and sunshine.

It would be nice if temperatures were a bit lower though.
ski holidays
It's pretty warm out today.
The sun is just starting to dominate the clouds and visibility is picking up.
Linga was not too busy early doors.
latest report
Can I have a weather update for Les Gets please, out next week, looking warmer, how's the pistes baring up ?

Thanks all
Puzzled Puzzled
ski holidays
Weather today at 1250m ( about 12KM from Les Gets as the Crowf lies ) is about 4 degrees and Sunny.
I was in Super Chatel snow park Sunday afternoon, and the snow was in great condition.
The pistes were in good nick, but the off piste was all tracked.
ski holidays
@windofchange, Thankyou I'll take that. snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy