Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz/Chatel/Les Gets/Morzine 2016/2017

Poster: A snowHead
andyrew wrote:
foxtrotzulu wrote:
@DJL, Pelting down with rain or snow? [edit: just looked at the webcam. Rain 😂😂😂]

That's odd, what webcam did you look at? Geneva airport? Because all the webcams I've just looked at (All Chatel, Torgon Chapelle and Abondance) look very very white? Maybe just the way the light is shining on the ... rain?

I was looking at the Morzine village webcam. Looked like there had been a light dusting that was then being washed away by the rain. Probably turn back to snow as night time temperatures come on. Don't forget, Morzine is that little bit lower than Chatel and Les Gets.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@foxtrotzulu, we often find when we drive from Morzine back to Les Gets that the temperature can drop by about 4 degrees by the time we are home. Quite green there but still a garden full of snow here.
There seems to be lots of wind on the forecast for Monday afternoon.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Most of the lifts in Avoriaz closed about 2.00 this afternoon. Conditions were great in the morning but is blowing a gale out there just now. Hopefully the wind will die down overnight.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Snowing steadily in Petit Chatel and according to the lift report Combes, Cornebois and Chaux Des Rosees are closed: http://app.infonet-online.fr/pdf/chatel.pdf

Forecast shows gale force winds later!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@DJL, thanks for the update. Was considering plj this morning but expecting the gales and lift closures this afternoon. Looks like plan b now
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@BergenBergen, report updated. Now showing all open as at 08.22
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@DJL, chatelweb forecasting 90 cms to come down today at 1800m. Lucky you Very Happy

Do you know the reason why La Forestiere run down to lake Vonnes is often closed? Is it lack of snow or risk of rock falls / avalanche? I understood they did a lot of work on this run last summer.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Ozboy, currently raining at La Chapelle Cret Beni. Imagine it will be snow high up.

Forestiere looked skiable when we went over it yesterday. Certainly last season it was full of rocks and with no snow cannons it is a bit low for reliable cover.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@DJL, did Bernex this morning and not two many people about. Fresh snow at the top but really really sticky towards the car park. Resort shutdown at 2 pm and now the wind has really got up. Lots of tree debris on the roads so glad to be back in the flat. . Buckets of snow up high.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
A couple of runs after lunch but then it started to blow and come down heavily. By the time we bailed out it was heavy rain at the bottom. Now snowing at 1300m and time for tea and cakes!

Plenty of snow higher up but v soggy low down.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Well we had thunder and lightening over Morzine after lunch - glad I wasnt on the slopes, alot of soaking wet people in town.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Looking forward to the weekend and hope the wind will have settled down as I barely had the chance to ski the weekend just gone. Went up on Saturday morning and only managed to get one run in before all the lifts shut (and by the time they re-opened in the afternoon I was enjoying a bottle of wine a bit too much to go back out!).
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Everything shut this afternoon. The Mrs and her elder son were taken to Avoriaz on a piste basher. Has to return some friends to the Ardent car park - fairly interesting coming down.

Tomorrow is due for snow all day but at least the wind will be gone - hopefully.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
After all that rain, complete with thunder and lightning yesterday, I've just opened the curtains in Morzine to about 8 inches of snow and it's still dumping. Powder skis today snowHead
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Still snowing. Pisteurs having to clear over a foot of snow off each chair on Chavannes lift might take them some time. 😁
ski holidays
It's snowing in Petit Chatel. It was snowing when we went to bed. I think it was snowing all night. It is forecast to snow most of the day. Why couldn't winter have arrived last week!

Not ventured out yet but looking down to the parking area there looks to be about 40 cm and I can hear someone having an epic getting their car moving. A day to see whether 4x4 and winter tyres means chains won't be needed. Or maybe I'll just walk to Barbossine and start the day from there! Suspect it may be a slow start.
snow report
Driving up the valley. Reached Abundance. ok so far. Starting to look like an episode of ice Road truckers
snow report
Had to abandon the Punto 800m from summit of Col du Corbier last night around midnight.
The snow was super heavy, and deep. Could not get up with studs, or chains.
The Duster just flew up with non-directional Nexens.
Col was ploughed at 6am, unploughed side roads were about 45cm this AM, again Duster was just dandy.
snow report
@WindOfChange, We've got a dandy Duster too - we're based in Chatel for the season. I bought one after seeing that the local police used them up here and it's never let me down. Super Chatel bubble just open, as for the rest it'll take them a while I should think!
snow conditions
@alj - the Duster is my second favourite 4x4 that I've owned after my 1987 Defender ( I even put it ahead of my Subaru Forrester).
I think it's excellent - never misses a beat.
I can't believe you are online at this time.
If I were not at work today, and based in Chatel, I'd be on the PLJ chair right now looking to lay some tracks down happy valley Smile
snow report
@WindOfChange, We will be up (somewhere) when something opens. Right now it's the SC bubble, Linga bubble and a couple of drags at SC. Avalanche risk of 4 today so Happy Valley will have to wait - Petit Chatel on the other hand........
snow conditions
Be safe out there ( and leave some stuff for me to play on at the weekend ) Very Happy
ski holidays
Quote:

Be safe out there ( and leave some stuff for me to play on at the weekend )

Wot he said wink
snow report
@alj, that big open field over from the side of Epervier is a frequent slider. Take care.

We're just waiting for Petit Chatel/Barbossine to open. Don't fancy digging the car out!
latest report
@DJL, Yes understood - will stay in the trees snowHead
snow report
Petit Chatel now open but Barbossine not (according to the app). Drags to Super Chatel and Tronchey chair still closed as at 10.08.

Sounds like all will be open soon. Time to get dressed.
snow report
DJL wrote:
@alj, that big open field over from the side of Epervier is a frequent slider.

Where the Epervier enters the Torgon valley and becomes Col du Croix I saw a 6m x 2m x 0.6m slab break away on the steep part to the left of the piste last year.

It broke up and fizzled out by the time it got to the piste, which was lucky as there were a couple of skiers blissfully skiing past without having noticed it at all.
snow report
Yep, be careful out there kids - not a day to be pushing things. Massive slide in Tignes this morning has buried several people at least.

Stay safe.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My other half reports some of the best snow ever on piste this morning, around Morzine and Les Gets
snow conditions
@Dashed, thankfully, apparently, no-one missing nor seriously hurt.
snow conditions
@Frosty the Snowman, it certainly was very good. .stopped now, cars being dug out and I walked the dog up by the lake here and the snow was practically up to my bum, I do have quite short legs.
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
My other half reports some of the best snow ever on piste this morning, around Morzine and Les Gets
and Chatel. After 25 years finally in the right place at the right time Very Happy
latest report
Thigh deep on the red run down to the Onnaz lift. Visibility varied a lot but there was fresh snow everywhere and even runs that had been bashed had a decent layer on top. It was noticeably heavy below about 1500m but lovely stuff up high.

Glad I had the fatter skis today. Tired legs now. Some spectacular wipeouts in our group but it's not so bad when you have a soft landing.

Snowing again now in Petit Chatel and starting to cover the road.
snow conditions
Mates who live in Morzine have been sending me endless pictures of them out on their big powder boards having huge amounts of fun.

I am jealous. Very jealous.

I'm in Austria next week - please keep snowing so I can have some fresh too!!
ski holidays
Yesterday up there in terms of great days in Chatel. We stayed safe and did lots of tree skiing for visibility and did some great stuff off the top of the Morclan back into Chatel via the hard to get to red (you have to pole/skate over the top). Resting/working today to recover Very Happy
ski holidays
Never seen powder on piste like last couple of days. Skied down the black yeti in les gets on Tuesday morning and it was waist deep on the piste. Been a joy to ski sun to wed
snow report
Heading out to PDS on sat. Very excited snowHead
snow report
Rain on and off overnight and looking damp down the valley with low cloud hanging about. 4C on the balcony and no sign of a snow line at 1700m - can't see higher as its in the cloud. Not ideal.

Great day out round the Roc d'Enfer circuit. Two laps punctuated by a very fine lunch at Le Torchon just above the Follys drag lift departure. In there for about 2 hours which ruled out a third circuit but very enjoyable and run by a bunch of people who seem genuinely happy to see you.
snow conditions
Was about zero half an hour ago, raining now, bit noisy on the roof and seems to be washing the snow off the velux in the bathroom.... we were hoping to go round the Roc d'Enfer circuit today as we have friends staying. Decisions, decisions, first being who is getting up to take the dog out and get wet.
ski holidays
@Pamski, do it ( you know you want to)! If it rains more than expected the long lunch option is even better. If you are heading for Le Torchon best to book ( but you're an old hand and knew that already). We didn't yesterday and had to stand around at the bar for 15 mins which was excellent as they felt sorry for us and gave us a kir.

St Jean greatly improved since I was last there with the new fast chair from the top of the bubble and the new drag to avoid the tarmac dodging on the way back to the gondola base.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy