Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz/Chatel/Les Gets/Morzine 2016/2017

Poster: A snowHead
@Badbobby,

What do you call off piste? Rarely any powder in these parts, this time of year but there is plenty of off piste skiing to be had. It just takes the form of spring snow. Not the same but still lovely to ski on.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Also just returned from Les Gets. In four days we skied to Torgon, Croset, Avoriaz, Les Gets and Chery from 0830 to 5pm every day. The latter was fantastic although the return to Les Gets was brown so gondola down. Everything else had pretty good pistes for the time of year, we didn't ski over rocks but there are some bare patches on some slopes and runs that are already closed but I have a goggle tan and that says it all. Hope that can keep it all going until Easter - Avoriaz and Chatel will be ok but it might be tricky for the rest, have to see.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@zzz, Hi, I mean stuff that's deeper than the piste. Not fussed about perfect powder, just need to be able ti get better when I can't see my skis! Wink
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Been checking the weather forecasts for Avoriaz constantly as I am thinking about going at Easter next year and trying to work out if it's a safe bet or not. Every time I look at the forecast it looks like high temperatures and rain - is that actually happening at Avoriaz's height, is this normal, and will it be struggling come Easter?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Handy Turnip, Easter is early next year (1st April) and Avoriaz is high. You should be absolutely fine. I've skied Avoriaz later than that and probably had the deepest snowpack of the year. However, at the same time it was pity dire down in the valley as all that snow had fallen as rain at lower altitudes. In short, the PdS will be absolutely fine then. If you like to stay in a resort with snow around it, then go high. probably above 1400m.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks @foxtrotzulu, much appreciated! I'm looking to take the kids for the first ever trip next year and was eyeing up Easter as it's cheaper than half term - I'd definitely be looking at a resort with snow around it, to help sell the wonder of skiing to the kids. Hopefully Avoriaz should fit the bill. We don't need the whole PdS to be open as me and the gf will have a quick blast in the morning, then mess around on the nursery slopes with the kids in the afternoon.

The thought of being rained on doesn't fill me with joy, so thought I'd better check!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Handy Turnip, personal preference, but if you're thinking of Avoriaz then I'd consider la Plagne too. Just as high and IMO a better skiing area. Well, it seems to sit in its skiing are better than Avoriaz. Neither are quaint little Tyrolean villages, but I think La Plagne and the surrounding area has more charm in some respects. Also, and this could easily be a personal misconception, but it feels to me as though Avoriaz sits towards the top of its skiing area with muich of the skiing below. La Plagne seems to sit, at the same altitude, with more skiing above it. Others will be able to confirm or refute this.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@foxtrotzulu, Agreed. The pistes at Avoriaz aren't much higher than the resort/town, so its height is slightly misleading.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@foxtrotzulu, @Badbobby, it also gets hideously busy as everyone from the rest of the PDS heads up there around this time of year, with very unseasonal queues coming at the the old slow lifts i.e. all of them.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
For what is worth I'm a big fan of la plagne (my old man used to have an apartment there and I also did a couple of seasons there) and snow is usually fine at Easter but we took our kids (7, 6 and 4) there at NY and it wasn't great for beginners. My older 2 were fine but a lot of the blues have quite steep sections which were pretty daunting for my youngest. It's also a fair trek of a transfer if flying to Geneva. We're off to Avoriaz 2nd week in April with my brother who's kids haven't skied before and looks to have a better selection of greens. Will wait and see how they compare. Flaine was where we went last Easter which is recommend as pretty snow sure and we'll set up for kids, 3hr ski school is also a bonus!!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
La plagne does have a lot of skiing over 2000m though and up to 3200m on the Roche de mio so snow quality is more likely to be better......
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Cheers all, some fantastic tips regarding La Plagne, definitely going to take a look snowHead
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
La Plagne (far), Flaine (crazy busy), Chamonix (steep and unconnected) are all possibly better than PdS for spurious reasons like altitude. In fact you could say Austria, Italy, Switzerland, US, Canada are also better bets for snow than France. Move along, nothing to see to here. It does snow occasionally, like the pic below from a few weeks ago at 1400m. And sometimes, when it's about -20c, it even reaches Morzine.

In all seriousness, everywhere with snow is getting busier. Used to be just weekends, now we're seeing powder starved locals ditching work etc to be there for that rare dump on a school day.
Personally am happy with the little old lifts, the quiet tree runs, the families that stick to the piste. Tranquille.

Ohhh yes, forgot, Rock the Pistes should be good this weekend.....can't wait to see Caravan Palace, Friday, Pleney.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There should be some good racers in Morzine tomorrow for the military races. There is a night race on Pleney.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
More of a report for an occassional skier going to morizien and worried, rather than diehards.

Got back Monday from Morizine, after a short break, Saturday was very wet but having never skied in the snow it was an experience, and of course very empty slopes. Tip have spare gloves.

Sunday and Monday, warm, sunny and beautiful.

Plenty to still do, occasional tarmac and brown bits, and the traverses more effort as the slush slows you down. For newbies, lower blues trickier as the slush lumps, act as brakes, so go higher and red.

But still plenty of fun to be had
latest report
Fly on Saturday. Hoping it's going to hold up! Various hints of some snow on upper levels this weekend, but looks like next week might be clear skies again.
snow conditions
@Badbobby, are you still planning to take the off-piste lessons? I am in Chatel next weekend and looking forward to it whatever the conditions may be (perhaps excluding rain)
snow report
@Ozboy, I've got the lessons booked in and they'll be what they'll be! Ideally there'll be some off piste, but my sister is coming for the first two days and therefore the first two lessons will be on piste as she won't do off. I've not had any lessons at all for 4 years, so it won't be a complete disaster if I don't get much off piste instruction - a few hours and decent pointers would be welcome though.

Yes, the rain is my big fear! Never experienced it in a ski resort.
ski holidays
@Badbobby, I learnt to ski in Australia and was a regular at Thredbo for many years before moving over. I am used to rain and value anything goretex, and packing a second pair of gloves. It was not unusual to ski in soft wet snow mixed with mud which we affectionally called Elephant Snot.

Have fun
ski holidays
@Ozboy, thanks for the gloves tip. Sounds like taking a rucksack with dry clothes is a good idea Wink
snow report
langball wrote:

Ohhh yes, forgot, Rock the Pistes should be good this weekend.....can't wait to see Caravan Palace, Friday, Pleney.

Thumbs up for this!

Great band, skiing, beer, sunshine. Lindy-hop in ski-boots.... Embarassed

Does it get any better?

Arrive tomorrow! Toofy Grin
snow report
Quote:

taking a rucksack with dry clothes is a good idea

wrapped in plastic, I learnt that lesson on saturday. But don't shandy off, keep skiing. If you can't see because of the rain on a visor, go faster - it blows the rain off.
snow conditions
@shockingmoment, ditto, interesting to see what the weather will be like.

Also where is the Pleney Rock the Piste stage, can say i've seen one in the past.
latest report
@shockingmoment, there's loads going on, but this is the one I am not going to miss. Weather looks ok Friday, cloudy, dry, and about 10-12c.
Should be a big turnout....here's a brilliant clip from them live in Paris. If nothing else, check out the dance sequence from 2mins on.

more info here, think Pleney stage is above the Belvedere chairlift
http://en.rockthepistes.com/program.html

http://youtube.com/v/-7JOa3dISg0
ski holidays
It snowed last night @ 1250m ( glad I took the snow tyres off this weekend ). Only about 4 cm, but it should mean that for those lucky enough to get out today, it will be nice on the pistes till lunchtime they can see see Ran N Bone Man in Avoriaz this afternoon.
snow report
Clearer today in Les Gets, the sun is out and we had a dusting of snow overnight, 1240,
ski holidays
@langball,
Quote:

Personally am happy with the little old lifts, the quiet tree runs, the families that stick to the piste. Tranquille.

Quote:
Ohhh yes, forgot, Rock the Pistes should be good this weekend..

Vraiment tranquille!
ski holidays
@foxtrotzulu, balance is the key wink

and if you're going to play loud music on the slopes, then quality over quantity. We don't want a Moosevirt opening up....although I would still go there, every night.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
got on Prodains at 2pm and had a good afternoon bit slushy at times but good to be back on snow. Stayed in Linderats area as queue for Interets (sp) huge. By 4pm slopes deserted and turning to nice corn snow, run down to Prodains more than acceptable.
snow conditions
Can you still ski down to the super Morzine lift? Due out 8-15th so may change by then anyway but at the moment (fingers crossed) lots of snow forecast for first week in April.....
snow report
@stevew, encouraging update!
latest report
That's according the the j2ski site and does state mountain weather changes can't be relied on but I've got my fingers crossed!!
latest report
If anyone is going next week theres currently an offer on lift passes online, 6 days for the price of 5. Save yourself about €50.
snow report
gabbooc wrote:
If anyone is going next week theres currently an offer on lift passes online, 6 days for the price of 5. Save yourself about €50.

I have just done this actually - used last year's card as well so saved €3!!
snow report
Hi

Is Super Morzine open at all, in either direction?
ski holidays
Super m still running so I presume it's just about holding on up there. Took a run about Morzine prior to rock the pistes gig yesterday. it's also in a very sorry state and many runs have days left. Another week of warm temps and they might be forced to close it.
snow report
Fast_ted wrote:
Due out 8-15th so may change by then anyway but at the moment (fingers crossed) lots of snow forecast for first week in April.....

Don't forget to report back, I'm curious to know how conditions are at that time. Cheers Smile
snow conditions
@Nelbert75, cheers

I'll report back through the week. Fly out at 3
snow report
Nelbert75 wrote:
Super m still running so I presume it's just about holding on up there. Took a run about Morzine prior to rock the pistes gig yesterday. it's also in a very sorry state and many runs have days left. Another week of warm temps and they might be forced to close it.

Told you now have to download on Zore. Not skiied that area but after high winds subsidised really excellent but slushy skiing today. Skied avoriaz in morning bit of Switzerland around lunchtime, had a quick lunch around bar if avoriaz mosettes and cater in afternoon, run down to Base of prodains still ok.
snow report
We skied over to Les Crosets yesterday morning. Very windy and the gondola from Ardent and the various chairs running quite slowly. Glorious when the sun came out. Pretty soft getting back to Ardent. Skied around Morzine this morning as it is disappearing fast. About a shoulder's width of snow going down to the Atray Creperie for farewell coffee and crepe and then walked down to the lift. We took the dog up Mt Chery at lunch time for a walk, saw three skiers and sat at the Belvedere having a drink and watching the pisteurs coming down over the tiny bit of snow, grass and mud, skiing with all the orange protecting stuff from the pylons up the slope. End of the season over there.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy