Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2016/17 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
jimmybog wrote:
scyco wrote:
honved wrote:

I've previously found that it's the punters that are the issue at the Eva Alm. Its deerskin lined benches seem to attract a certain clientele who likes to be seen flashing the cash. The only problem I've ever had is getting a seat since many of the people there have been there since about 2pm after their cursory bit of skiing.

Agreed, it is definitely that kind of establishment. Not really my thing but it seemed like a nice place to stop for a drink to get out of the rain. It was actually two separate incidents the first being the bar tender abruptly shouting at the Mrs to speak English as it's better then there German - in which she's fluent. Brushed that off. As we were only stopping for a quick drink we took a seat by the bar. Then when I very politely tried to order another drink I got shouted at by a different guy saying it's table service only. When I apologised and wondered if would still be OK as we were sitting a the bar and had previously been served there, he began shouting again. When I say shouting I mean shouting. The place went dead only for all the attention to be put on the two for absolutely no reason or provocation. To be honest, I can only imagine if he behaves in such a way to the wrong person he's lucky all we did was walk out in that regard. So, if you do go. Speak English and don't order a drink at the bar?!

Bobby's, Spitz and apres place opposite are all great and much better atmosphere.

Disgusting behaviour that by the staff. Luckily I have never experienced that anywhere across the alps (so far). If that staff member continues, then yes, he will definately upset the wrong person sooner or later. The trouble is, some people thrive on situations like this and would enjoy nothing more than getting into a conflict with that staff member. It wouldn't take much for someone to make the atmosphere and situation very unpleasant and uncomfortabe for a staff member and other guests!!

We often have a beer or two at the Eva Alm and have never encountered any issues with the staff. It is popular so sometimes you have to take a less than ideal table and bide your time for a better one.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Was lovely to meet up with some fellow Snowheads for lunch and a few runs today.

The mysterious Tatman couldn't make it so will continue to be mysterious wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Raven, he managed to make it to the Happy Hour at Bergeralm Madeye-Smiley
It was lovely to ski with you...and eat chicken!

I had probably one of the best days skiing today, the pistes were amazing, hardly any queues unless you went over the Asitz side and then they were only 2 minutes at the most.
We did the Schattberg black (1) which was *interesting* still my favourite black in the whole Amade Skullie
I just love Saalbach, there really is something for everyone and with the new lifts over to Fieberbrunn etc the area is massive, we only skied about a quarter of it.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Raven, sorry I couldn't keep our assignation at the Chicken Man, but glad that you made contact with Kooky, Scarpa and Kiteman. Also glad to have introduced them to the delights of the Spitzbub and Spacey (who seemed to go down very well). Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

in the whole Amade

@Kooky, The whole what?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Tatman, sorry my abbreviations!
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=126210&highlight=

Yep, I am a huge fan of Spacey now. If anyone want proper good old fashioned Apres then I cant recommend that place high enough Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Rugby viewing advise please, what's an alternative to Bobby's if it's packed out?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Kooky wrote:
@Raven, he managed to make it to the Happy Hour at Bergeralm Madeye-Smiley
It was lovely to ski with you...and eat chicken!

I had probably one of the best days skiing today, the pistes were amazing, hardly any queues unless you went over the Asitz side and then they were only 2 minutes at the most.
We did the Schattberg black (1) which was *interesting* still my favourite black in the whole Amade Skullie
I just love Saalbach, there really is something for everyone and with the new lifts over to Fieberbrunn etc the area is massive, we only skied about a quarter of it.

How were conditions on the a Schattberg run yesterday? I did the red run that turns black halfway down a Schattberg and the snow was really good on the red part. Unfortunately as soon as it turned black it also turned icy. I did have a moment about half way down the steepest part when I sortof froze and started to worry that I would slip on the ice and have a nasty fall or be stuck half way down the run, paralysed with fear and have to be rescued

Shocked

I'm pleased to report that neither of those scenarios materialised and I made it down in one piece (although not particularly stylishly.)
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Raven, A few years ago I decided to video myself doing the top half of the Schattberg black run. I caught an edge almost immediately, and the entire video consisted of me sliding down head-first, swearing at my own ineptitude.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi All. Flying out to Saalbach tomorrow, how are the conditions. Looks great on the Webcams.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Raven, it was very hard packed, not really "icy" but you definitely wouldn't want to have a fall on it, as Mr.Tatman said, you probably wouldn't stop til you reached the bottom and its a very long run Skullie
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
That day was indeed an awesome one. Great to meet up with Raven and to see Tatman and co later. It's amazing how enthusiastic you get for soft moguls after a few jagertees, tequila and beers.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So thats is for another year! Had fantastic and very memorable week in Saalbach. Overall the snow was great. The Mrs is now convinced that winter holidays are fun (probably the biggest plus a of the week)! Had a wonder down into Hinterglem yesterday to see what it's like. Have to say I much prefer Saalbach. The atmosphere, access to slopes and just the slopes in general look much better over in Saalbach. It is essentially one resort though.

Does anyone know what that Siren was last night? Thought it might be an avalanche waring thing so the Mrs decided to close the window to keep the snow out?!

Gonna go for a look about in Zell today. Hopefully the lake is still frozen but I doubt it after warm weather this week.

Thanks to all for all the advise on here!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Apparently the siren was for a fire. Sounded like an air raid siren you here in movies to me!

I also had a great week in Saalbach. Arrived in St Anton this afternoon and it's definately 'the big smoke' here compared to Saalbach!

Just a shame there were those days with high temps. Slush is not my favourite type of snow to ski.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@scyco, the sirens usually go off to summon the volunteers of the fire brigade in the case of serious accidents/floods/fires/etc

They almost always test the sirens every Saturday afternoon at 12.00
latest report
Just a reminder for anyone in Saalbach-Hinterglemm at present - the superb Irish band, Cuckoo, will be performing in Bobby's Pub this evening. Not to be missed!
snow conditions
What time will cuckoo be on ?
latest report
@mee, They usually start playing around 10pm so I would suggest getting to Bobby's around 9.30. They're appearing in Bobby's on alternate Wednesdays. During this month the lead singer, Eamonn, is taking a break but his stand-in is excellent. Their gig the Wednesday before last went down extremely well - it's worth making an effort to see them, especially if you like Dubliner/Waterboys/Pogues type music, and even more so if you enjoy a jig! I can also recommend their CD if they have any available.
snow conditions
So the cuckoo will cuckoo about 10 times and they will be on stage
snow report
Arriving at Saalbach this weekend. Just seen that run 68 is closed. I assume that means it wont open again for some time as there is no more snow forecast. Does than also mean that the route back from zell will be closed. (Although my other half says it makes no difference as it seems I have planned to eat roast chicken all day long)
ski holidays
@John617, Yes, piste 68 closed last week, and it will take a sizable dump for it to open again. The ski route from the Schmittenhohe at Zell down to the Glemm valley may however be skiable, as it's north-facing and in the shade all day long. Not that many people will have been doing it as the two areas are still not officially linked.
snow report
Not surprised about piste 68 being closed. I decided not to bother with it last week after seeing the state of it from the bus. There was also another run that goes down from the bottom of the Sunliner lift to the road that was in a pretty dire state.
snow report
Heading out to Hinterglemm on Sat. How is the snow looking generally?
ski holidays
Can anyone recommend somewhere in Saalbach that does a spa / pampering type thing? Coming at half term (18th Feb) with the wife and kids - the wife's a reluctant skier, so would be nice if she could have an afternoon off somewhere nice.

Cheers!
snow conditions
@crudeFool, All the village centre 4 star hotels have wellness suites, so it's just a question of choosing one and asking if they will allow a non-resident to pamper herself. We can't recommend a particular one as we don't use them, but I think that the Hotel Kohlmais next door to us, for example, charges non-residents 12 euros. However I have heard stories of people being turned away by the Kohlmais, on the basis that they don't have the capacity. However I suspect that much depends on who is asking and who is on the desk - in other words it might help if they like the look of you. One young man I know who was turned away had a peculiar hair-style and jeans hanging at mid-buttock level.
The ones I would suggest trying are the Panther, the Kendler, the Eva, the Bauer, the Post, the Saalbacherhof, the Alpenhotel, the Alpin Resort and the Kohlmais - all in the village centre.
latest report
We stayed at the Alpin, it was excellent for relaxation after skiing
snow report
@rg1, Generally it's been pretty good, and there's enough of it on the pistes. It's turned cold again after last week's warm weather - today many runs were hard-packed with ice in places. The snow cannons are running tonight, temperatures being well below zero. As you know things can change rapidly but the outlook is for sunny weather for the foreseeable future - no doubt freeze/thaw conditions as the temperature becomes warmer again.
ski holidays
Thanks Tatman's Tours / tripowski.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Getting pretty busy around Saalbach these days but find the Shattberg area is quieter and still in great nick. Conditions are generally better there than in Zell (my closest resort) but going the extra 10-15mins drive for a much better day out. The ski route from Zell to Viehofen has good coverage but a frozen layer is lying on top making it quite difficult and not that fast/enjoyable.

I've been trying hard to rent a splitboard, literally nowhere in Zell and have emailed 4-5 places in Saalbach area. Anyone any suggestions?

Also, where's the party at for carnival?? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
After nearly having a nervous breakdown on the black under the Schattberg express last week I've tackled numerous blacks here in the Arlberg with much more confidence.

I had a fall on one black run but I also had a fall on a blue run so it all evens out. Very Happy
ski holidays
First day back at work after a week (got home Saturday evening) in saalbach 😞 Had a brilliant time, with only one bad visibility day over fieberbrunn area. Went over again Friday and it was excellent and quiet! Last few days were glorious, staying high till late to avoid the slush and moguls later on in the day. Got to the chicken man for the first time! Was there for 11.30 and got a seat on the terrace and must admit the chicken was as good as described 👍 Only 2 hospitalised out of 18 (1 of which was also hospitalised last year!) so not too bad considering the amount of apres! Hinterhag was nuts as ever, apologies to anyone we may have been near. Pints and Jagermeister litre bottles phone torch lit in ice buckets aplenty and various states of undress Inc one of ours fully naked more than once 😱
Apologies, once again!!!
latest report
Whitty wrote:
First day back at work after a week (got home Saturday evening) in saalbach 😞 Had a brilliant time, with only one bad visibility day over fieberbrunn area. Went over again Friday and it was excellent and quiet! Last few days were glorious, staying high till late to avoid the slush and moguls later on in the day. Got to the chicken man for the first time! Was there for 11.30 and got a seat on the terrace and must admit the chicken was as good as described 👍 Only 2 hospitalised out of 18 (1 of which was also hospitalised last year!) so not too bad considering the amount of apres! Hinterhag was nuts as ever, apologies to anyone we may have been near. Pints and Jagermeister litre bottles phone torch lit in ice buckets aplenty and various states of undress Inc one of ours fully naked more than once 😱
Apologies, once again!!!

The exhibitionist in me is impressed, even more so if ski boots were involved in the disrobing.
snow report
honved wrote:
Whitty wrote:
Apologies, once again!!!

The exhibitionist in me is impressed, even more so if ski boots were involved in the disrobing.

I think he did both with and without over the week 😀
ski holidays
The children having taken and failed the run 14 black challenge today (although in fairness half the people on the run fell to the bottom) now want more. Is the ski circus challenge do able / ie can it be done in less than 7 hours? The only thing i have worked out about it is to start at Scharttberg so the afternoon is in our valley.
snow report
@John617, Depends on where you're staying and starting out from. If in Hinterglemm then starting by going up Schattberg makes sense. If in Saalbach then going up either Schattberg or the Bernkogel would be the two obvious options. If staying further down the valley between Saalbach and Vorderglemm, or at Jausern or Viehhofen it would make sense to start by going up the Schoenleitenbahn and then over to Leogang. The whole circuit of the valley, excluding Leogang and Fieberbrunn, takes about 3 hours, skiing at a moderate pace, so add a couple of hours to allow for incorporating those two additional tangents, plus another hour for lunch and possibly the Schattberg black run (piste no.1), and you could probably do it all in 6-7 hours without busting a gut.
ski holidays
@John617, we stayed in Hinterglemm and started the challenge by heading up the Westgipfel. If I was staying in Saalbach I would probably go up the Bernkogel first and get Fieberbrunn done first. The main reason for this would be the conditions. The week we were there the G Link didn't open for a day and closed early another day due to wind.

The way we did the challenge we managed to get back from Fieberbrunn by about 2pm but didn't stop for lunch until we were back over the G Link.

It took us 5.5 hours skiing/lift time (this included a couple of extra runs after we'd finished the circuit). We skied quite fast but would stop to re-group at regular intervals.
snow report
@hammerite, what/where is the G Link?
snow report
I don't know where the G link is either. But I have been looking for it for a while.
snow report
Wrong ski area sorry! Meant Tirol S! G link is over in Wagrain.
ski holidays
@John617, There is some controversy over whether it exists Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy