Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2016/17 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We made it around ski circus challenge. For planning we started at Schattberg at 8.25, skied fast on amazing pistes for next 2 hours when we were back at Saalbach. Got a bit stuck on Bernkogelbahn and Bernkogel which cost at least 30 minutes. 11:45 - 40 minute lunch in Fieberbrun (S4). Made last lift (Limburg) at 15:30 ie with 45 minutes to spare before closure. It's 36 miles skiiing.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
hammerite wrote:
Wrong ski area sorry! Meant Tirol S! G link is over in Wagrain.

Aaah, that explains it Laughing
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Some of the lifts open at 8am, ski/board without stops and through lunch (sambo on the lifts). And you should be done by 12-12.30 depending on crowds, wait times and your speed!! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi Everyone,
I'm off to Saalbach for 3 nights on 1st March in a small group. I've been studying the posts here and think it's one of the best threads on the forum. Hence I've got most of the admin tied up. But still a couple of queries:

We are arriving in Munich at 9.30am so don't expect to be in resort until 1pm (private transfer). Our plan is to go free skiing from 3pm on 1st (any recommendations for late lunch in the village just before this)? My group are keen to ski as long as possible, so we will probably head to Hinterglemm and continue night skiing, which I believe is continuous from when the rest of the pistes close. The only problem with this is missing The Hinterhag. I thought we might be able to cab back and catch an hour or two. What time does it close/ quieten down in The Hinterhag?

Our 2 full days skiing will be spent doing the anti clockwise circuit and doing Fieberbrun, depending on conditions. Our final morning will be spent in Leogang and hopefully the Chicken Man for a fairwell lunch. I have noticed that the week we are going is carnival week. Does that tend to make the area busy? Are there any pinch points to avoid?

We also seem to be spoilt for choice in the evenings with some good live music on offer. The website says there is a boarder display on Thursday evenings near the bottom of the Hinterhag run. Has anyone seen this? Is it any good?

Finally, I have seen that run 68? Viehofen run(?) is often recommended but requires a bus link at the bottom. Does the bus continue to the Saalbach Shattberg lift, so that we could continue round the clockwise circuit? I'm guessing it does. Just trying to keep options open.

Thanks in advance for any help. I really can't wait...
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Our 2 full days skiing will be spent doing the anti clockwise circuit and doing Fieberbrun, depending on conditions. Our final morning will be spent in Leogang and hopefully the Chicken Man for a fairwell lunch. I have noticed that the week we are going is carnival week. Does that tend to make the area busy? Are there any pinch points to avoid?

Leogang is one of my favourite resorts in the area, along with Fieberbrunn. Leogang is great for free skiiers and snowboarders, great park, great vibes. Get a beer in the AsitzBrau "the highest brewery in Europe", good food and great hot chocolate. Both resorts have the pistes in great condition and is generally quieter than Saalbach/Hinterglemm side.

Quote:

Finally, I have seen that run 68? Viehofen run(?) is often recommended but requires a bus link at the bottom. Does the bus continue to the Saalbach Shattberg lift, so that we could continue round the clockwise circuit? I'm guessing it does. Just trying to keep options open.

Run 68 was closed a couple of days ago when I was there, might be reopened now but it's in an awful state. Will be back in the area in the next day or two and can check what the status of the slope is again. 680 is the main bus that goes from Zell am See through Viehofen, Saalbach and on to Hinterglemm. There's a regular ski bus from Viehofen going to Vorderglemm also, new lift system there which is great, worth checking out and might be a good option for making your own way to Shattberg.

Shattberg area is generally quieter. Also take note of the lifts that open at 8am, you'll definitely get the most out of your day if you're on one of them...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@EdYarker,

Once you arrive, get your gear and lift pass sorted then take the bus to Hinterglemm. Lunch at the Unterschwarzach opposite the U-bahn lift then start skiing at 3pm. Alternatively lunch at the restaurant at the bottom of the Zwölfer lift, as the bus stops right outside.

Hinterhag Alm kicks off just before 4 pm and finishes between 6pm and 7pm, depending on how long you can tolerate the bosses' singing.

Carnival week probably won't make much difference to the crowds as this year it doesn't clash with the Scandinavian holidays. To avoid pinch points, get on the mountain before 9.30 when the ski schools start to arrive at the lifts. The early lifts are all in Hinterglemm, but a popular option is to take an early bus to the end of the valley at Hochalm to get ahead of everyone else. Great skiing up there this morning on an almost completely empty piste - in what is one of the busiest weeks of the season.

The Thursday night show is a freestyle show with boarders, skiers and usually a mountain biker doing tricks off a large kicker. Accompanied by music and fireworks.

The ski-bus from the bottom of piste 68 only goes to the Schönleiten lift in Vorderglemm/Jausern. The Postbus 680 only runs hourly and is not a free ski-bus. From Schönleiten there is a connecting ski bus back to Saalbach or you ride up the Schönleiten lift, turn left and ski home - often via the Berger Hochalm for happy hour, then the Hinterhag, then Bauer's or Burgi's before falling into Spitz Pub. However, 68 has been closed for 10 days due to lack of snow (it is one of the few pistes without snowmaking and is south-facing) and unless there is a big dump in the next few weeks, it is very unlikely to re-open.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for the very prompt replies. It looks like 68 may not be worth it (or even open), although a long range forecast shows a decent dump the weekend before we go, for what it's worth.

@quinton, I'm interested to see you advising that we take a bus to Hinterglemm on Wedneday pm. Is skiing over not possible from 3pm? It looks like it won't be worth dashing back for The Hinterhag Alm either. We can save that for Thursday and Friday along with the other bars you recommend. Perhaps we could get up to the Goasstall instead?

@shredder, Leogang certainly looks like a great area to explore and very convenient to be back at the end of the day. We will certainly be visiting the highest brewery in Europe!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@EdYarker, the après at the Schwarzacherhof is actually pretty good. If you're doing the night skiing you'll be able to have a wee break in between runs. It's at the foot of the night skiing to the left of the U-Bahn as you come down. Not th cheapest apres drinks mind you but great fun
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@EdYarker, you can ski over no problem. Up the Bernkogel, down to the Reiterkogel lift and wander across Hinterglemm. Or you will probably have time to head over to Hochalm from the top of the Bernkogel, up the Zwolfer then across to the U-Bahn.

If you want to take full advantage of the night skiing on you first afternoon I wouldn't bother with the Hinterhagalm. The Unterschwarzach is actually decent for apres so you can easily mix a few runs down the Ubahn and a few beers in there.

You could also have a few drinks in the Goasstall and wander across for night skiing too.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@boabski, x-post
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks @boabski, the Schwarzacherhof is a bit easier than Goastall.
Whilst we're talking bars, where is the best place in Saalbach for late night revelry? I see plenty of options for off the slope après but not too much about night clubs/ late bars.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Whilst we're talking bars, where is the best place in Saalbach for late night revelry? I see plenty of options for off the slope après but not too much about night clubs/ late bars.

@EdYarker, I see that you arrive on a Wednesday. If you still have the energy for apres-apres-ski that evening, I would head off to the Oetzi Bar (between the Hotels Eva and Panther towards the top of the main village street), where Spacey (Geordie entertainer, and, according to Scarpa and Kooky, a veritable "god of apres-ski") will be playing his electric guitar from about 10pm. He plays in there on Mondays and Wednesdays.
There is also live music, as well as usually plenty of revelry, in the Underbar (opposite Bobby's Pub at the bottom end of the main village street) - every evening.
There are two nightclubs - Castello (under the Saalbacherhof Hotel in the centre of the village, and Taverne (on the left of the upper part of the main street).
Bobby's Pub is always popular - music (live girl group on Friday night, but can't recommend them as I haven't seen them yet). Ten-pin bowling also available. Also good value bar food, including excellent pizzas.
On the skiing front, lunch at the Chicken Man is a good call - you will be impressed! Over at Fieberbrunn I can recommend the Ferchlstadl and the Wildalpgatterl for lunch - also, if the weather isn't sunny, the tiny, rustic Teehuette for the "best chilli con carne on the mountain" - or so they claim.
I see that you have in mind a late lunch in Saalbach while you're waiting for 3pm. Unless you would be content with (or only have time for) a sandwich from the MPreis supermarket in the village square (which also has a seated cafeteria area), or the bakery next door to Hansi's Best Price, you best bet might be Berger's Sport-Hotel or the Schattberg Stub'n or Bauers Schialm, or Peter's Jagatee Bar (which is right by the Bernkogel Lift Station). Thinking about it, Peter's might not be a bad idea -possibly the best of those suggestions for what you're looking for (presumably a quick bite to eat without any frills).
If you're needing equipment, go to Hansi's Best-Price (next door but one to Bobby's Pub at the bottom of the main street) and tell Hansi that I recommended you to go to him. He will give you a worthwhile discount, as well as a schnapps or two, and his service and equipment is good.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Tue 14-02-17 23:13; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@quinton,
Quote:

depending on how long you can tolerate the bosses' singing.

Couldn't agree more! Her tone-deaf, gutteral, incredibly flat yowling (e.g. when attempting U2's "Wiz or Wizout You") is the stuff of nightmares and prompted one of our guests, a few days ago, to ask who was strangling the cat. However it does arguably fit in with the general insanity of the place, and of course sometimes a thing can be so bad it's good (in an entertaining sense), especially after a beer or two. Of course Josef Solar, who has been performing in there every evening of every winter season for at least 35 years is an absolute icon and just about manages to compensate. It still beats the Goassstall IMHO.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Tatman's Tours wrote:
@crudeFool, All the village centre 4 star hotels have wellness suites, so it's just a question of choosing one and asking if they will allow a non-resident to pamper herself. We can't recommend a particular one as we don't use them, but I think that the Hotel Kohlmais next door to us, for example, charges non-residents 12 euros. However I have heard stories of people being turned away by the Kohlmais, on the basis that they don't have the capacity. However I suspect that much depends on who is asking and who is on the desk - in other words it might help if they like the look of you. One young man I know who was turned away had a peculiar hair-style and jeans hanging at mid-buttock level.
The ones I would suggest trying are the Panther, the Kendler, the Eva, the Bauer, the Post, the Saalbacherhof, the Alpenhotel, the Alpin Resort and the Kohlmais - all in the village centre.

The Post had a nice heated outdoor pool and also worth noting that the Spa had separate clothed and baked areas to save the modesty of us Brits.
snow conditions
@PeteMan,
Quote:

baked areas

Sounds as if the sauna was rather too hot, especially with clothes on!
ski holidays
Quote:

sometimes a thing can be so bad it's good (in an entertaining sense), especially after a beer or two

This. Seeing Evi 'perform' Unchained Melody, throwing hearts, while 100s of wasted skiers sang along, was just fantastic.
snow conditions
The insanity of The Hinterhagalm is something I've been looking forward to experiencing for quite some time and if I had my way, I would spend our first day from 3pm skiing around Saalbach and heading there for Apres but the rest of the guys want extra skiing at the night ski slope and I can't really argue with that. Besides, if we are going to stay up for Spacey and then Castello/ Taverne, we will need to work up a thirst.
Many thanks for the advice Tatman and the numerous lunch options. I have already been in touch with Hansi for ski hire (thanks to a previous recommendation from you).

One more question (sorry). We are staying in Landhaus Gappmaier on Ronachweg, nearer the top end of town. Is there any way we can ski across and access the road nearer the hotel or do you have to ski down the piste all the way and walk along the road to get back? It's a bit unclear from Google maps.
ski holidays
Apologies to the original poster, but a quick question if I may? Are these apres options still available early to mid April, or has the town quietened down by then? I'm looking at options for a late trip (snow permitting) and have really liked Saalbach on previous visits.
ski holidays
@EdYarker, Not sure without popping up to the LH Gappmair to have a look, although I'm pretty sure that taking a left, off-piste turn from piste 51 will take you at least close to where you want to be. I have friends who do that to ski back to their apartments down by the medical centre on the main road, and that's a lot further out and down than the Gappmair. Doesn't their website shed any light?
snow report
@Valluga, It's pretty quiet in early April - many of the apres venues, including the Hinterhag have closed by the end of March, taking the view that Easter visitors will include a fair proportion of families with children. It's still nice though- usually sunny and relatively peaceful and relaxed.
ski holidays
Was in Fieberbrunn on Sunday as my quick access route to Saalbach from Munich. My first time in Fieberbrunn.
Everything was wonderful until around 15:30 when we were stood at the top of the F14 run to take us back to Fieberbrunn only to discover that the run was roped off and closed! Luckily the pisteur was still standing there and told us that if we skied like the devil we could still make the return via TirolS II, but only if we made it in the next 3 minutes! We made it, but the guys at the TirolS II told us we were lucky, and big exception etc etc.
Something to be aware of if you are coming in from Fieberbrunn. You need to know that the return takes a while and they start shutting it down really early... and a taxi from Saalbach will cost you a fortune!
snow report
You are very kind Tatman. My thought was that there maybe some off piste from Blue 51, but it's difficult to see. There's nothing on the hotel website. It just says 3 minutes walk to the lift. I guess the chances are we will be embarking on Apres over at the bottom of the piste anyway, but it would be good to know in case anyone needs to nip back for anything or anyone wants a pm sauna before heading back out for beers. Thanks.
@Steilhang, Fieberbrunn warning duly noted. I think head over early, ski, have lunch, head back.
ski holidays
@EDYARKER there is a way through off run 51 just before Kohlmais Stuben. Next to the line of trees on google maps and the big bend in road. (It's uphill)
snow report
Thinking ahead for next year... will the link with Zell be properly complete or is this going to be 2019?

Have a (probably) non skiing partner and she likes the look of Zell - I like Zell too, but want a bit more skiing than it has.
snow conditions
think I've just found the answer - the year after next

http://www.schmitten.at/en/service/press/press-articles/extension+of+the+skiing+area+schmitten+%E2%80%93+zell+am+see-kaprun_p2314
latest report
Quote:

Have a (probably) non skiing partner and she likes the look of Zell - I like Zell too, but want a bit more skiing than it has.

@buchanan101, A group of my old skiing friends (12 intermediates) recently had a holiday in Zell am See. On three days out of six, they took a taxi to and from Saalbach (Schoenleitenbahn). Says it all really.
snow report
Quote:

Fieberbrunn warning duly noted. I think head over early, ski, have lunch, head back.

@EdYarker, and @Steilhang, As you may be aware, the last cable car to return from Saalbach to Fieberbrunn is advertised as 3.30pm, whereas the last cable car to return from Fieberbrunn to Saalbach is 4.00pm.

I went over to Fieberbrunn with a companion a couple of days ago and had a good ski round. We started down piste F14 at around 11.00am, skied most of the pistes over there and had a leisurely lunch at the Ferchlstadl. Then we met some friends at the Streuboeden restaurant and stuck with them whilst they had lunch. We set off up the Laerchfilzkogel gondola at about 3.00pm and then took piste F1 to get us back over to the Reckmoos Nord gondola. We were up at the top and ready to ski back down piste F12 in the direction of Saalbach at about 3.30pm, and we arrived at the Tirol S gondola at about 3.50pm. We then had no problem in catching the last lift, the Wetterkreuz chair lift at just turned 4.00pm to get us back up to the Bernkogel. We weren't skiing fast and took it all at quite a leisurely pace with plenty of stops for a chat or to take photos (or get our breath back). Hope this is helpful.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks Tatman. That's helpful. Without trying to get too obsessed with the long range forecast, there seems to be quite a lot of snow around just before and during our trip (1st March). Have you tried the various ski routes in Fieberbrunn? We have a couple of keen powder hounds who will be desperate for off piste if the conditions are good (and I'll be quite keen myself). Are there any good know off piste routes on the Saalbach side?

@John617, thanks for the instruction. I think I see where you mean. Could save a bit of walking but depends how up hill the cut through is!
snow report
@EdYarker, Can't help you there - however Richard and Johan, who run the Underbar (opposite Bobby's Pub) spend much of their time skiing the off-piste and back country so I would suggest you get chatting to them. See their videos on YouTube - google "Saalbach Bergenholtz"
snow conditions
OK will do.
Thanks again.
latest report
@EDYarker One minor thing to add. We were just coming back from Hinterglemm / Fieberbrunnn side and found it quicker to take the beginner chair 18 and ski back slightly up 51 and walk up very short hill to the cut through past Kolmais rather than catch the lift to run 51.
snow report
@John617, Thanks, I will look at that on a map.
snow conditions
Does anyone know what time the skibus is starting at the moment - as the Zwolferkogel Hochalm and Reiterkogel are opening early at 8am, are the ski busses now running earlier aswell (More specifically, what time would the first no. 5 bus from Saalbach Jausern). Thanks
ski holidays
@Saalbachsnowhead, All the information is here: https://www.saalbach.com/en/service/info/skibus-nightliner

All it says about the ski bus starting time is that they run from 08.30am. If you're really keen, you could get the 07.18am 680 postbus from Saalbach Jausern, which would get you to Hinterglemm for just after 07.30am.
latest report
That would be way to early, Think we'll just drive; thanks anyway.

Edit: We decided to wait at the stop for 7:30 this morning - A no.5 turned up at 07:35? Is this official, as there seems to be no mention by the website?

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 17-02-17 19:57; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Hi all, not long now till my first Saalbach trip. Been studying piste maps and YouTube videos for a while now and just have a few questions regarding some of the blue piste runs in the area. I’m trying (if at all possible) to avoid any steep blues so just need to check on some particular blues and routes to ensure I’m well prepared. Have already had some very useful info from Richard (tatman’s tours) but still have a few questions:

1. Route to Berger Hochalm from Saalbach. To access blue 56, is it easier to get the Kohlmaisgipfelbahn to the top and then traverse across to the start of blue 56. Or Kohlmais 3er chair up and then Panorama 6er chair up and then down to start of 56? Which of these two options is easiest (less steep) ??

2. For trip out to Leogang I was thinking of catching the bus to Vorderglemm and then getting the Schonleitenbahn up to Wildenkarkogel. Then blue 62 to SeidlAlm and then blue 63 (instead of blue 64) to bottom of Polten chair. At top of Polten chair, would get the new blue variant 81 or MOntelino trail down to Asitzmuldenbahn and then up to Kleiner Asitz and then blue 87 to ALte Schmiede or Asitzbrau. Does this route/option sound ok?

3. To return from Leogang, I see I would need to get blue87 down to Asitzgipfelbahn 8er. Then up and either blue 85 or blue 83 down to Sportbahn. But which of the two (83 or 85) is easiest (less steepest)? Then blue 81 and then blue 63 down to below Polten 8er to rejoin blue 64 down to Schonleitenbahn mid station. From here I would decide on going down to valley station and catching the bus; or up to Wildenkarkogel and blue 66 across to Bergeralm and then across to blue 52 and down to Saalbach

4. From top of Bernkogel I would ski down to ReiterOst chair and then up to Reiterkogel. To get to the bottom of Hasenauer chair, I see two options: turn left onto blue 34 and then turn right (at some point near Reiteralm onto a blue trail to bottom of Hasenauer chair. Or option2, blue 32 all the way down to hasenauer chair. Which of these two routes is the easiest (less steepest)??

5. From the top of Zwolferkogel there is a family ski trail ( I think) blue 11 down to Zwolferkogelbahn mid station. But looks like there is another blue run 18 down to Ellmaualm. Is this blue 18 relatively easy or quite steep/hard??

Thanks
snow report
jimmybog wrote:
Hi all, not long now till my first Saalbach trip. Been studying piste maps and YouTube videos for a while now and just have a few questions regarding some of the blue piste runs in the area. I’m trying (if at all possible) to avoid any steep blues so just need to check on some particular blues and routes to ensure I’m well prepared. Have already had some very useful info from Richard (tatman’s tours) but still have a few questions

The problem you have is that many of the blues in Saalbach unless they are tracks are not much different from the reds as the south facing side where most the runs are is of a consistent slope. Blue 56 I think is for example a track as is 66 back

I remember the blues down towards Leogang are not steep I think..

Beware as well Blue 2b as the bottom of that late in the day is pretty horrid. Having said that the two blues off the back of the Schattberg (2a and 4) are pretty easy going and good snow as high up
snow conditions
@jimmybog, Right, here goes!

1. In my opinion, it's easier (and quicker) to take the Kohlmaisgipfelbahn to the summit and exit the top station to the left (to the right there is an initial steepish slope). There is an easy track just below the top station that takes you across from piste 53 to 56. It's literally only about 20 meters below the top station, so don't ski past it. I think that this is easier than taking the two chairs and skiing down the slightly steepish section between the top of the Kohlmais 3er and the bottom of the Panorama 6er.

2. I confirm that piste 62 splits into a wide piste and a track to the Seidlalm, and the latter is the less steep, although the piste isn't bad. However, if the gentleness of the gradient is the primary consideration, and you don't mind snow-ploughing down a relatively narrow track, then the track is the way to go. From the Seidlalm, I confirm that piste 63 is easier than 64, and they both lead to the bottom of the Polten Lift. From the top of the Polten Lift, there are three ways of avoiding the initial steepish (graded red) drop-off on piste 81. You will be able to assess all three from the ridge and decide which one you like the look of. One is to traverse to the left on to an easier and less busy piste that leads down below the Sportbahn, another is to go right and take the blue dog-leg shown on the piste map (however my recollection is that the initial part of that dog-leg is fairly steep - though less used and potentially mogully than the red section), and the third option of course is the Montelino trail, which is basically a "wave slope" about ten feet wide with lots of bends and humps - some people like them, and I have known cautious skiers prefer to snow plough their way down that particular slope, rather than do the initial steep drop-off from the ridge on piste 81. Otherwise your planned route sounds okay, and you will find piste 87 unproblematic. Bear in mind that, in addition to the Alte Schmiede and the Asitzbraeu restaurants (both very impressive), you have the third lunch time option of the Mama Thresl's Hendl Fischerei (aka the "Chicken Man"), which is fast developing the reputation of the coolest mountain restaurant in the Alps. All three are within a stone's throw of each other.

3. On your return, the easiest of the three ways down to the Asitzgipfelbahn is, as you say, piste 87 - note that to get on to this you ski through a tunnel under the Asitzbraeu restaurant. On emerging from the tunnel you cast your eyes to the left and upwards to catch a glimpse of the famous "loo with a view" and any exhibitionists who might be using the three urinals that overlook the piste. You then ski straight down an easy, 10 feet wide schuss and turn hard left at the bottom (easier to schuss it than try to do any turns or try to moderate speed). To get down to the Sportbahn, I think that you will find piste 83 less steep, although I always prefer 85 as it's hardly used and generally has good snow on it. You can assess piste 85 as you go over and look down on it from the Asitzgipfelbahn. The reason it's used so little, is that it's counter-intuitive, when you dismount from the Asitzgipfelbahn, to turn hard left and ski back across the top of the snow park, as if you're heading back towards Leogang, before turning right on to piste 85. Most people head straight on, on dismounting from the Asitzgipfelbahn, conscious that their skis are pointing in the direction of Saalbach. It's one of those occasions when not following the herd can pay dividends. When you get to the mid-station of the Schoenleitenbahn, we generally take the Schoenleiten 6er chair up to the Wildenkarkogel. That is the last lift you need take, and it's downhill all the way, calling at the Bergeralm's happy hour (3.30-4.30pm) for refeshment. We usually wait for the piste groomers to come up in convoy at about 5.15pm and then ski down the freshly groomed "magic carpet" - although sometimes they come up piste 51, rather than 52, so a decision is required at the Kohlmais mid-station. Piste 52 is less steep than piste 51, but 51 is less used and may be in better condition. Piste 52 must however be taken if your plans include a visit to the Hinterhag Alm (or Maisalm).

4. From the top of the Bernkogel you should take the easy blue option - piste 47, which involves skiing back towards Saalbach but keeping well over to the right. You will see a little hut where you need to turn hard right onto piste 47, which is a gentle track leading down to the Reiter Ost chair. Piste 34 would certainly be an easy way of getting down the Hasenauer 8er, provided that you take the zig-zag blue route shown on the piste map. Piste 32 is initially a gentle track along the ridge (some poling may be required initially), followed by a very good, wide piste, which only becomes a little steeper towards the end - still very wide though. Piste 34 is probably less steep, though more circuitous.

5. Piste 18 is another overlooked piste, and it's a while since I did it. My recollection however is that it's enjoyable and not especially steep - consistent with being graded blue.
snow report
Thanks all, really appreciate your help and advice!!

Can't wait to get there and especially looking forward to the HinterhagAlm!!

Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy