Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2016/17 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

especially looking forward to the HinterhagAlm!!

...which may come as a bit of a shock when you first go in. Get a drink (it's waiter service, or you can queue at the bar), and give yourself time to adjust and enter the spirit. Find a good spot, like a table downstairs, if you can find one, or upstairs at the far side by the little bar, from where you can see the performers. Guests of ours have shot out immediately and faster than they entered, only to return a few days later and say that it was the best evening of their holiday. It's a bit insane, but it's been going on for 40 years, and you'll get the hang of it after a while. (There are plenty of Youtube videos available, including the little-known footage of John Denver and Julie Andrews performing "Edelweiss" in 1987 to an appreciative audience of Hinterhaggers, who were clearly relishing a break from Evi's strangled cat impersonation - unfortunately I was in Les Gets that year, my first visit to the Hinterhag having been in 1988. This the link:
http://youtube.com/v/moju8r-iE0Y )
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just been for a late night walk through Saalbach and am pleased to report that it was properly snowing (after light snow at village level throughout the day), and the streets are white over. Nice to see, although we must wait to see how much has fallen overnight and higher up.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Great day today in Saalbach, probably around 30cm of snow up top off piste. Great snow all around in the morning, getting sticky/wet bellow 1400m in the afternoon.

Some more photos from today here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5ixfrwig7gceu3v/AADU4YPMeicbGFa-fNSiszINa?dl=0
Very Happy[/img]

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 26-02-17 8:46; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Saalbachsnowhead, Nice pics!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Fieberbrunn Ski Schools?

Taking the kids (9 and 7 yo both ski reds) and parents (65 yo - 1 never skied) to Fieberbrunn in march.
Seeking some recommendations for which ski school in Fieberbrunn for child and adult lessons for them.
Wife and I may do a few freeride days also conditions permitting. Found the Wildman and S2 ski schools, but very little information on either other than S2 seems closer to gondola and Wildman run bobo club.

Any advice appreciated

And the pictures from last night were a welcome sight

Sd Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You can't go wrong. Both Widmann and S4 are generally good, I have had excellent courses from both. There is also little practical difference in their positioning.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just back from another great week in Hinterglemm (left Sat evening). Incredibly warm all week, more like skiing in April, with very slushy and cut up slopes on sunny side. Snow still holding up quite well on North-facing side and over in Leogang and Fieberbrunn (except the long red on the way back, which is horribly slushy). Snow on Friday was a nice top up (even a little powder to be found early Sat am), but only 10cm's or so, and it was still warm, so raining in town for much of the day. Non-snowmaking slopes are very sketchy. But plenty of good skiing to be had in the sunshine, so we had a fun week.

Generally pretty quiet, except Thursday which was busy for some reason - we did the Ski Circus Challenge that day, and only just made it due to long queues in the morning, especially for the Sonnleiten lift (20mins wait). The challenge took us a bit over 7 hours as a result, but was fun - a lot of skiing.

Usual great on-mountain lunches, even better sitting in the sun.

Stayed in Hotel zur Dorfschmiede. Great location, but otherwise hard to recommend. Food OK, but every dish covered in identical white foam (new toy for the chef? - I though foam went out in the 90's). Massively over-priced wine list and €5.50 for water (which was their own filtered water in reusable bottles, not willing to provide tap!!). Smokey bar. Great pool and spa, but a bit cold. Heated boot racks, which they turned off every night, so still damp cold boots in the morning, and nowhere to sit to put boots on. Rooms Ok, but not special. Woken up every morning at 6am by food/drink delivery outside our window.

Apres as good as ever - we found the Goatstall a little subdued this year (and why so much security - even to accompany the goat around the place!) the Apres at the Schwarzacher at the bottom of the U-Bahn was more lively, but drinks quite pricey here.

We went with Crystal - first time I have used a tour operator for a while, and reminded me why we generally go DIY. The transfer was awful - we had to wait for over 40 mins on bus at Salzburg airport whilst we waited for the next flight, and then the inevitable person who seems incapable of following the simplest instruction. We then went via Zell am See to drop off people there (and the had to wait until their taxis turned up) - so, a 1.5 hour journey turned into a 3.5 hour journey, meaning we missed dinner on arrival (they put on some cold cuts). Similarly on way back, when we had to leave at 2.30pm for a 7.05pm flight... I also suspect (but cannot be sure) that Crystal clients get put in the less-good rooms. Back to DIY next year, I think.

Certainly will be back.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@rg1, Glad you had an enjoyable week, despite the unseasonably warm weather and that truly awful hotel (which we don't recommend, ever since some family members had a terrible meal there a couple of summers ago), and of course the hopeless transfer. It's turned colder now - yesterday was a superb skiing day, but I'm stuck indoors with man flu and a hacking cough Sad Sad
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@rg1, we went with crystal this year and could not fault them on transfers etc. No more than 1.5 hours to saalbach. We normally go independent but worked out quite a bit cheaper going with crystal. The schwarzacherhof is great but as you say drinks are pricey
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@espri, many thanks Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
we arrive in saalbach a week today wednesday for 7/8 days skiing/partying in the best ski holiday resort in the alps.self drive so gain a bit more ski time, hotel accom booked yonks ago, just going to garage to get snow tires swapped on but doubt we will need them never have yet in march.had a quick look at the webcams seems ok and the hinterhag and other places we enjoy look to be in full swing, roll on
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Anxiously doing the pre-holiday thing of peering at the webcams and forecasts and very disappointed to see it's currently 13.4 degrees in the valley, forecast to reach 15 degrees tomorrow, some snow/rain on Friday and then back up to 12 degrees on Monday. Crying or Very sad
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@LOTA, don't worry about it. The piste maintenance is excellent, and a slushy final run into town is good for carving practice. Your worst problem will be a couple of rattle runs first thing thanks to freeze/thaw. Enjoy the t-shirt skiing.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
LOTA wrote:
Anxiously doing the pre-holiday thing of peering at the webcams and forecasts and very disappointed to see it's currently 13.4 degrees in the valley, forecast to reach 15 degrees tomorrow, some snow/rain on Friday and then back up to 12 degrees on Monday. Crying or Very sad

Where are you seeing that temperature of 13.4 in the valley? All I'm seeing is 3.7C in Hinterglemm village, 3C in Saalbach village, 3.7C Zwolferkogel valley station??
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The 3.7 degrees C temps on the Hinterglemm and Zwolferkogel webcams have been stuck on those temperatures, night and day, for at least a fortnight, @jimmybog,

Look on the Livecam feed: at the time of writing showing 0.3 degrees C at the berg, 15.1 degrees C in the tal!!! Very warm, indeed. https://www.saalbach.com/en/live-info/weather
snow conditions
@LOTA, I'm currently lying in bed in Saalbach with the dreaded man flu (hopefully on its way out). My iPhone, which is usually pretty reliable, tells me that it's 8 degrees outside. Snow-forecast.com predicts plunging temps on Friday and a worthwhile dump, followed by warm temps again, and (according to worldweatheronline.com) colder temps to follow later in the week. I should just take things as they come. Clear skies after Friday means freeze/thaw conditions and generally good skiing in the mornings. It may not be as bad as your above summary suggests. I shall be very surprised if you don't get some good skiing.
ski holidays
I am planning to visit Saalbach (more like Leogang) from 18th March till 25th March. Since Saalbach is relative low (compared to other big resorts like Val Thorens, Tignes, Zermatt, Zillertal, Ischgl even Dolomites...) I am little worried about snow cover and snow quality in resort. I really don't want to ski on icy, concrete snow for the first two hours in the morning and then skiing on slushy heavy snow afterwards.

I know that the openness of ski pistes depends on snow conditions and weather but since it's first week off-season, do they keep all pistes open? Or they are starting to shut down some slopes even though snow cover is good? Do they keep snow cannons running in this period?

I am really torn apart between wanting to go high (=French, Italian or even some Austrian resorts) and wanting to visit Salbach...
ski holidays
Tatman's Tours wrote:
@LOTA, I'm currently lying in bed in Saalbach with the dreaded man flu (hopefully on its way out). My iPhone, which is usually pretty reliable, tells me that it's 8 degrees outside. Snow-forecast.com predicts plunging temps on Friday and a worthwhile dump, followed by warm temps again, and (according to worldweatheronline.com) colder temps to follow later in the week. I should just take things as they come. Clear skies after Friday means freeze/thaw conditions and generally good skiing in the mornings. It may not be as bad as your above summary suggests. I shall be very surprised if you don't get some good skiing.

Sorry to hear you're not well. No choice but to take things as they come. Looking forward to returning to Saalbach and not bothered about a bit of early ice and slush later. For the record, I like spring skiing best of all (Switzerland this April, for example). But just astonished how unseasonably warm it is (15.2 degrees C now, it says!) And 8 degrees on your iPhone is pretty warm too! Let's hope the longer-term forecast comes to pass! Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
@matejp, if there is no snow in Saalbach, the conditions elsewhere will probably also be poor. Cover is usually good well into April, and while altitude is one factor, it is far from the most important in Austria otherwise the resorts at 600m would have ceased to exist long ago. Saalbach is at 1000m, the skiing extends to just over 2000m, and the snow record in March is good. They'll also run the snowmaking as long as necessary, since the Easter trade is important to them.

Alternatively, you could be in a featureless VT, Tignes, etc with white-out conditions and an 80mph wind which closes all of the lifts, so altitude is not always a good thing.

Most of the Alps are unseasonably warm at the moment, but it is unlikely to last much longer and the 7-day forecast shows 18cm of snow in the next week, and the longer term forecast shows the potential for constant light snowfall from 7-14 days.
latest report
LOTA wrote:
The 3.7 degrees C temps on the Hinterglemm and Zwolferkogel webcams have been stuck on those temperatures, night and day, for at least a fortnight, @jimmybog,

Look on the Livecam feed: at the time of writing showing 0.3 degrees C at the berg, 15.1 degrees C in the tal!!! Very warm, indeed. https://www.saalbach.com/en/live-info/weather

Thanks for pointing that out, wasn't aware they were stuck on those figures!!
latest report
Quote:

Since Saalbach is relative low (compared to other big resorts like Val Thorens, Tignes, Zermatt, Zillertal, Ischgl even Dolomites...) I am little worried about snow cover and snow quality in resort. I really don't want to ski on icy, concrete snow for the first two hours in the morning and then skiing on slushy heavy snow afterwards.

@matejp, You can't make a direct comparison with more westerly resorts; as is often pointed out in this forum, the farther east you go, the lower is the snowline and the more the weather is influenced by the climate of eastern Europe and Russia than the Gulf Stream. As for Austrian resorts, Saalbach is probably of average height, and there are plenty of lower resorts that are thriving ski resorts throughout the winter - two that spring to mind in this locality are Kitzbuehel and Zell am See.

The lift company here is universally acknowledged to do a fantastic job of maintaining the pistes until the end of the season (which this year is 17th April). They do however invariably close the sectors on the northerly side of the Glemm Valley for the last week of the season - it's just not worth keeping them open for the number of people using them. That still leaves probably 150km of pistes available. Until then however you can expect them to keep everything up and running. Some very low pistes may be closed if conditions dictate, but I've never known a season in which the main pistes down to the village were not open and skiable until the end of the season. Personally I've never in the last 10 ski seasons been forced to download in a gondola - have always skied back to our apartments, and we're normally here until early April. Can't comment on use of snow cannons - I expect they'll continue to use them, as long as the temps are cold enough and as long as they assess that the making of snow is both necessary and cost-effective.

The question of snow quality is more difficult to answer. Realistically you should prepare yourself for the possibility of typical spring skiing conditions in late March (although it's not unusual for Saalbach to get a cold spell and fresh dumps of snow at that time of the season). However my experience has been that, when the weather becomes warm, sunny and spring-like, most resorts experience similar conditions - firm/hard pistes for the first two hours, nice, grippy snow for the next two hours, and becoming soft/slushy during the afternoon. The slushiest snow I can remember in all the years I've been skiiing was in Courchevel, Les Menuires and Verbier. However, it's also obvious that the upper slopes of higher resorts, like VT and Tignes, are more guaranteed to provide better conditions in the late season (if the weather is warm - if it's not, it will be good everywhere).

As you mention that you're more likely to visit Leogang, it's worth pointing out that the Leogang sector of the Ski Circus is predominantly north-facing, and it invariably has the best snow late in the season. (But you can ski over in that direction as much as you want - and we frequently do - if you're based in Saalbach. It doesn't take long to get there and back).
snow conditions
We're (or should I say, our chief organiser) is looking at next year already. Bit later than all our previous trips, possibly mid March so hopefully will still be nice and white! Any opinions/experience of Pension Wallner out there? Evening meals unimportant as we'll be out! Location looks ideal for what we need.
latest report
The Wallners are very nice people. Their pension is above and behind their restaurant, which is very popular, good value and our favourite for pizzas. The location is excellent, only about 20m from the Bernkogel lift station, and also very handy for crossing the street and going up in the lift to the Kohlmais slopes - the Turmwiese nursery slopes, the Turm chair lift and the Kohlmaisgipfelbahn lift station - all a stone's throw away. Far better IMO than being at the bottom end of the village. The prices of EUR 50 -57 per person seem okay and comparable with what you might expect to pay for a decent-sized apartment for at least 4 people in a top location (£140 - £170 per day).
snow report
Tatman's Tours wrote:
The Wallners are very nice people. Their pension is above and behind their restaurant, which is very popular, good value and our favourite for pizzas. The location is excellent, only about 20m from the Bernkogel lift station, and also very handy for crossing the street and going up in the lift to the Kohlmais slopes - the Turmwiese nursery slopes, the Turm chair lift and the Kohlmaisgipfelbahn lift station - all a stone's throw away. Far better IMO than being at the bottom end of the village. The prices of EUR 50 -57 per person seem okay and comparable with what you might expect to pay for a decent-sized apartment for at least 4 people in a top location (£140 - £170 per day).

Thanks for that, Tatman's Tours. 👍
ski holidays
The unmissable Irish band, Cuckoo, went down a storm again last night in Bobby's Pub. This season they have been booked to play alternate Wednesday evenings in Bobby's; however anyone who may be visiting Saalbach-Hinterglemm next week can catch them at the Walleggalm (mountain restaurant at Hochalm, just along the valley beyond Hinterglemm). They're playing a one-off gig there from 1.00 - 3.00pm, and it should be quite a novelty hearing the music of the Dubliners, Waterboys and Pogues echoing around the Spieleck pistes, instead of the usual Austrian/German stuff!
snow conditions
15 more sleeps until our trip. The excitement is building!
snow report
Quote:

ditto, 15 sleeps to go! Smile
ski holidays
ribblevalleyred wrote:
Quote:

ditto, 15 sleeps to go! Smile

Same here, 13 of us staying in Berger Sporthotel!!

nice to see it snowing on the webcams this morning!!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@jimmybog, Indeed it is! (Snowing quite merrily at the Zwolferkogelbahn but the webcam resolutely stuck on 3.7 degrees C!)

Nine days to go.... Very Happy
latest report
Just been for a walk through the village; it's snowing quite hard - wet snow at village level so evidently just above freezing point. Down at Zell am See I hear it's currently raining. This top-up is very well timed for people arriving tomorrow. It should be great when it clears - I wouldn't send a dog out there at the moment!
snow conditions
Quote:

The unmissable Irish band, Cuckoo, went down a storm again last night in Bobby's Pub. This season they have been booked to play alternate Wednesday evenings in Bobby's; however anyone who may be visiting Saalbach-Hinterglemm next week can catch them at the Walleggalm (mountain restaurant at Hochalm, just along the valley beyond Hinterglemm). They're playing a one-off gig there from 1.00 - 3.00pm, and it should be quite a novelty hearing the music of the Dubliners, Waterboys and Pogues echoing around the Spieleck pistes, instead of the usual Austrian/German stuff

Was that next Wednesday please Tatman?
snow report
@EdYarker, Yes Ed
snow conditions
On our way tomorrow and staying at the fabulous Alpin Resort hotel. Bobby's for the rugby and Hinterhag and Spitz for some Apres. Can't wait. Only 2 weeks since I got back from Saalbach! Love the place.
snow report
Quote:

@EdYarker, Yes Ed

Thanks. I think we will struggle to get there sadly.

Anyone been out over the last couple of days? How are the conditions? I saw there was a dump on Friday/ Saturday.
snow report
I've just returned from five fantastic days in Saalbach and we had all the conditions you can imagine!

On the first morning we had a light dusting but it was cold and cloudy.

On Tuesday it rained all day both in town and up the mountain, hence it was pretty quiet on the slopes and in the apres bars.

Wednesday and Thursday the sun was out and the temperatures were in double figures, pushing fifteen both days. Skiing in sunglasses, with sleeves rolled up, jacket unzipped and without a hat was fantastic!

Then it snowed hard overnight and during Friday morning but at lunch it suddenly cleared and hence our last afternoon was spent cruising about in some lovely powder.

When we left on Saturday it was sunny again so probably a perfect day.

Lots of the runs were getting cut up pretty badly but it was half term and there were alot of kids, learners and ski schools knocking about. We're rarely on the mountain before 10am either so it's our own fault for missing the bashed pistes!

Fantastic apres ski and good food on the mountain so all in all Saalbach gets the thumbs up!
snow report
I know there are cheaper places but my mates want to hire skis from Hagleitners. Does anyone have a voucher code for an online booking?

Also, regarding the Chicken Man, does he generally have enough chicken for the whole lunch time service, or do you have to get there early? What are the Ribs like?
snow conditions
Get there early if you've not booked! We went about 11.30. Could sit where we liked and by the time we'd had a hot chocolate and ordered it was past 12 anyway. By the time we'd eaten it was packed, plus people waiting to be seated. One of our party fully recommended the ribs on a different visit.
ski holidays
@Tatman: thank you for reply.

Because we have nervous ski beginner and off-piste beginner (who doesn't have problems on any ski slope) in our party I would like to ask you some questions regarding ski runs from in Saalbach area:

- How's the blue valley run to Leogang (92 and 93) - under Steinbergbahn?
- How are blue runs from Kleiner Asitz (83 and 85) to Grosser Asitz (81, 63, 62) and trough Wildenkarkogel (66,51, 52) to Saalbach?
- Are blue runs in Saalbach steeper than blues in other resorts?
- Ski conditions on valley runs to Leogang, Saalbach, Fieberbrun, Hinterglemm? Is snow sugary with little frozen pebbles on surface and icy plates underneath (very warm/freeze cycle). Is snow on valley runs "rotten" (I don't know the proper expression for very melt snow:)? I am asking this type of questions because here, where I am from, we have ski resorts on similar heights (Kranjska Gora) and right now ski conditions are slushy Very Happy.
-Does Saalbach have any off-piste terrain for beginners (intermediates) and where these areas are?

Right now I regularly check weather forecasts and it seems that second week in March is going to be cold, very cold with snowing which is good and maybe we can manage to have "winter tale" in Saalbach area.

Many, Many thanks for your answers, time and effort you are putting in this thread!
snow conditions
A group of 5 of us are arriving in Saalbach on Saturday, incredibly excited. Staying in the Sporthotel Berger. Been following this thread (and the previous ones) for months now (booked in August snowHead ) and thank you for all the info - its an invaluable resource.

Few questions (apologies if covered already):

Best place for watching Champions League football? Its Arsenal vs Bayern Munich on Tuesday night and would like to see my team inevitably thrashed again.

I have seen Crystal (who we are travelling with) have a Tobogganing trip one evening? Has anyone ever been on this? I have done the ones in St Anton and Mayrhofen and really enjoyed them, so keen if it is well regarded.

Also, I have read a lot about @Tatman Tour's special resort guide. Would it be possible to get a copy?

Thanks
ski holidays
@tjgadd18, re: toboganning, I would just do it yourself and not worry about the Crystal trip.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy