Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zillertal 2016/17 Weather Report

Poster: A snowHead
@skierdad, ah, I will have gone home on 26th

@rdonalds, great-looking forward to skiing it

They've done well with the artificial snow then?

I think that as it is labelled a black run you will get a lot of people coming down in the gondola still so probably won't get as much traffic as some of the blue/red valley runs elsewhere do

Are you there next week too?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hey, just come back from Mayrhofen ! Penken and Ahorn were lovely.... bluebird days, no pow pow ...but hey cant complain .... stayed at a place called the Bruggerhof, was really nice and the staff were wonderful

way to many flugel's and willie's in the Bruckenstadle tho...
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@nobsoc, how was the artificial snow? Was it holding up? Slush? Ice?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
was holding up really well actually, Pleasantly surprised ... a little slushy in the afternoons but not all bad.

Can ski all the way to the bottom on the Ahorn Very Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If the Zell am Ziller valley run is anything like the Kaltenbach one, then my suggestion would be go up, ski down early, go up again and ski the rest of the area. Total carnage at the end of the day when the bottom is slush/ice/wet cement, and everyone has to ski it because it is a named run that can be ticked off the to do list. Never seen so many people take their skis off and slide down the narrow bit on their backsides, because it was too difficult. Which then blocks those who can ski it. Even labelling it Black (which most of it isn't), won't put off relative beginners.

Save some snow for me. Plan to be there 1st weekend in Jan. Will decide on the day whether to ski ZaZ, Kaltenbach or Penken.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@andy, Very Happy

I remember seeing that last Jan. Rocks, too many people (some drunk), best get down from mid station.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@skierdad, we are arriving on 26th. First day on slopes 27th. Let us know if you fancy a beer. PM me.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Link from Z am Z to Gerlos currently closed? Is that a "no point in staffing thing" or a "not much snow thing"?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Ghost Dog, I was wondering that myself
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
We're off on 23rd (driving) - better start thinking about packing!!!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Bennyboy1,
Hi always up for a beer. Staying at hotel strass. How do I pm message
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Remember to add yourself to the snowbuddy so local snowHeads know you're about and to give you a shout snowHead
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
First day skiing today
Went up the Ahorn first to see what it was like
The pistes are in excellent condition, the valley run all the way to the bottom from the top of the Ahorn is a great ski with nice grippy snow
No icy patches etc
Very good considering there's been no decent snowfall since the first lot that came down in Nov.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
That's encouraging, thanks. I've just booked a late deal for the 31st with Pending Junior. Anyone want to help me keep up with him? Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Pending, yes I saw a few stones on the Penken side when heading over to the Eggalm but that was it.
I've seen far worse! I was quite surprised considering the temperature was 11 degrees Celsius today here and there that the pistes are in such good condition.
There is no snow anywhere else apart from on the pistes mind it looks like spring.
Still everything could change in 24 hours of constant snow.
ski holidays
@VolklAttivaS5, Pics please Toofy Grin

I'm there in a month and you are whetting my wossname
snow report
@VolklAttivaS5, keep the reviews coming, much appreciated.
snow report
@red 27, you will want to be hoping for snow and lots of it before then! Could do with at least 30cm down to resort level ideally over the next few weeks to get things sorted.

As I said the pistes are good considering but apart from on the pistes there's barely a flake.

I enjoyed it yesterday though, have skied far worse and seen far worse from other people's skiing pics last season when I was at home. Toofy Grin

In Zell am Ziller today so will report back later on.
snow conditions
So.
Nice day today in Zell am Ziller.
Sunny all day and the pistes were in great condition once more with no/very limited snow cover to the sides of the pistes and under the lifts etc.
I think the snow coverage generally at Zell seemed more than at Mayrhofen as far as I could tell-although there was more skiing to be had at Mayrhofen yesterday because the link from Zell to Gerlos was still closed, as in, the chairlift Krimml Xpress that takes you up to where red 21 starts to begin the ski down to Gerlos. I'm not sure why when Gerlos itself was functioning.

Not many people about on the slopes today, fewer than in Mayrhofen definitely so Zell is the place to go if you want a bit of peace and quiet.

The new valley piste called black number 10 down to the base stations Karspitzbahn and (if you veer off to the left at the appropriate moment) Rosenalmbahn was a worthy investment for Zell am Ziller.

I skied it twice today after 3pm and it was in sterling condition likely due to the pure lack of ski traffic in the resorts. I think it deserves its black status rather than red as a lot of it is in the shade late afternoon so in colder/normal weather compared to now I can imagine it would get pretty icy in the shaded bits and bumped up too with any decent snowfall due to the pitch of some of it.

However-what the new valley run now means is a descent of 1684m vertical from the top of the Karspitz Xpress at 2264m down red 14 to 14a to 18 (Sportabfahrt) finally joining the new black number 10 down to 580m resort level.

Red 18 was already a nice longish run anyhow and I think the longest one they had in the Zillertal Arena but now the lot from 2264m to base level is a nice little workout if you do it in one hit.

Tomorrow is Hintertux I think to see what they've done up there since my last visit a few years back.
ski holidays
Hintertux was fab today and once again pretty much empty pistes with only a few people in sight at any one time. Everything was open bar one piste.
No complaints-it was great.
Whilst it was sunny up on the glacier it looked much more cloudy today generally across the area and colder too so I think we are in for some snow the next few days-even if it's only a bit to make it all look a little more wintery.
snow report
Thanks for the reports. In Mayrhofen in a months time so starting to get a bit excited! 😀
snow conditions
@esaw1, you'll have a great time as it will have snowed properly by then.
latest report
@VolklAttivaS5, Very Happy
latest report
@VolklAttivaS5, thanks again. Great to hear it's all skiable. Did you ski all the way to the valley floor?

Will be there next week so even without more snow sounds like we will have fun.

Was there any sign of the Katzenmoos lift opening at Finkenberg when you were over at Mayrhofen?
ski holidays
Yes there is plenty of skiing available even if it doesn't snow, I haven't been to Kaltenbach yet, I will go there tomorrow

Yes skied all the way to the bottom at Hintertux and the Ahorn here in Mayrhofen.
The ski route down to the Horbergbahn is closed.

I didn't notice anything happening with the Katzenmoos sorry.
snow report
Kaltenbach/Fugen today
It is looking very cloudy indeed today
I think the weather is closing in, it's still a bit warm but when the temperature drops from midday onwards then well I shan't be surprised to see some snowfall
There is some forecast for tonight anyhow
The wind is picking up too so that's always a sign I think.
snow conditions
First day of the holiday today - skied Kaltenbach and Hochfugen. Not busy, pistes in good condition and generally great fun. The big Blue traverse in Kaltenbach (run Z) was a bit sugary and lumpy late in the afternoon, mostly due to the large numbers of beginners on it.
ski holidays
@Valkyrie, when in Kaltenbach/Hochfugen today I noticed a lot more closed pistes, stones, grass and brown patches showing than at Zell am Ziller or Mayrhofen where the pistes were excellent it has to be said. I thought it looked a bit tired in Kaltenbach (but still perfectly skiable)
I found that surprising considering the proximity of the 3 areas so I didn't know if it was just down to different piste management or whether the aspect of the slopes was different.
Seemed to be a lot more people about today than the previous 3 days though so that could be it.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Rain in Kaltenbach overnight, looks like it was a dusting of snow up on the mountain.
snow conditions
Snow on the trees and the road on the way up to Hintertux. Only a couple of cms if that on the top of the railings.
Should be a fair lot more once I get up the top though
snow report
@VolklAttivaS5, @Valkyrie,

Happy Christmas.

Any sign off rain or did it hold off up the mountain? Hope it was snowing!
snow conditions
Mostly fine snow at Piste level, but was raining for a while this afternoon all the way up. I was soaked by the time I got in. On the plus side it's good to see everything looking much whiter and the valley run is now open at Kaltenbach.
ski holidays
Great last day today
Caught the 9.20 bus up to Hintertux. Plenty of snow up there and even though it's still nowhere near fully covered (aside from the pistes) it looks a lot more like a glacial ski resort now compared to earlier in the week. The GletscherBus 3 was closed though when I got there and no sign of opening after midday had passed so I came back to Mayrhofen with the intention of finishing up.
But then changed my mind.
Just as well I did as I had a great couple of hours from about 2.30 onwards, 12 hours of light snowfall above 1500m has transformed the place now to looking mostly white instead of mostly green.
snow report
@VolklAttivaS5, sounds good! I feel a trip coming on.
snow report
@VolklAttivaS5, @Valkyrie,

Thanks for the reports!
latest report
@Steilhang, there's still no off piste skiing mind but at least there's a lot less brown and green showing after the last 18 hours.

The snow is nice on the pistes in Mayrhofen and at the top of the Tuxerjoch chair in Hintertux-so 2460m-I tried to make a snowball with some snow at the top and it was too light and fluffy to stick together.

So once the GletscherBus 3 opens the top should in theory be quite nice with the powder on the already groomed pistes from the previous few days.

There were some mild bumps forming in Mayrhofen on some of the reds so there must have been at least 5cm of snow today above 2000m. Maybe 10cm. Nothing special but at least double what what was forecast as it was only 2cm.
latest report
Skied in Zell this morning. Pistes were in pretty decent condition to start with but it was very mild today so some runs were gettin a bit slushy by lunchtime. New black down to the valley certainly felt like a proper black first thing in the morning, bit easier later on once it'd softened up a bit.
snow report
First day out on the mountain today. Went up Penken to drop kids at ski school then down black red 31 to and up Horberg. 31 was very icy, quite a few people going over on the ice. Runs at Horberg in the sun so lapped a few runs. 15 was lovely.

Afternoon we headed over to Rastkogel. In the sun, crisp blue and cold. Runs were icy but in very good condition. No stones or brown patches. 63 and 64 were good today. A few runs closed off the Horbergjoch due to lack of snow including most of 60.

Given the lack of natural snow the runs are in very good condition but last nights rain then froze over this morning which made runs in the shade quite tough. Sharp edges required! To be honest I was in la Plagne last year and these conditions are far far better. Very enjoyable skiing.
snow report
@Bennyboy1, yeah I felt the same, have skied/seen far far worse
I'm already in the midst of sorting out Christmas week next year as even when the snow is less than average they do a marvellous job. Plus it's a nice little town with plenty to do if you finish skiing early.
ski holidays
We've been here since Xmas Eve and agree the conditions are exceptional considering how 'green and grassy' the area is. They have done a great job in creating so many slopes.
Everything is skiing reasonably well over on the Ahorn and the Penken but agree it is icy in the shade and it was quite windy earlier up in Rastkogel. The Harikiri is still shut (not that I want to do it!). Red 66 down from the 150er and the 12 were especially bad today due to the ice. Partner skied these (not me!)
Off to try Hochfugal/zittertal tomorrow based on a local's reccomendation plus the kids want to try the coaster at Zell on the way home
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy