Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zillertal 2016/17 Weather Report

Poster: A snowHead
I would definitely recommend Zell I thought the pistes were I in better condition there but things might have changed since the bit of snow on Sunday.
Zell is of my favourite ski areas.
I think I came home before it got icy as I didn't really find any ice about, only in Hintertux a little bit on the last day.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@VolklAttivaS5, I think it rained a bit on the mountain last night and then the temp dropped which caused some ice. It's due to warm up again before the week is out so pistes will get a bit softer I expect.

I will check out Zell. Cheers
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It is a great area bigger than Mayrhofen actually (the Zillertal Arena as a whole) and check out Rosi's Schnitzelhaus on the way down red 18 (Sportabfahrt)
The biggest schnitzels you have ever seen!
Plus other quite nice food.
They have had the link to a Gerlos closed (called Krimml Xpress) since the season start for some reason but there are buses to Gerlos too from Zell (and Mayrhofen actually which then links to Koenigsleiten)

Loads of skiing!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Snow cannons have been on for most of the day across the mountain today. Pistes feel in much better condition, shows how the man made stuff helps out! Blue sky again with crisp feel. Great day across the mountain.

I must say I am so impressed with the piste condition. I skied La Plagne for the last two years at this time and even after big dumps of snow the stones on the pistes were awful. I have seen one stone here in Mayrhofen so far and that was on the ski route down to Eggalm.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yes I would agree-I've been to La Plagne after loads of snow and still stones!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Colder today in the Zillertal so canons on everywhere. Good news for the long term but it actually made skiing today pretty hard work in places. Very busy in Kaltenbach/Hochfugen Fugen this morning, it quieter this afternoon up on the Ahorn. Went there to ski the valley black run as it looks good from the town, but was disappointed by the reality. A long Piste but lots of fairly flat road sections and the proper pistes had all the snow canons going flat out, making the skiing "interesting".
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Strange how they still haven't opened the chair link to Gerlos
Wonder what the problem is Puzzled
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Valkyrie, if I had read this yesterday AM I would have disagreed, but then I managed to bust up my shoulder yesterday on exactly the type of conditions you are talking about. Now got a shoulder with titanium pins!....no more skiing for 8 weeks (but should be back in action for last couple weeks of the season!). Thanks to Skierdad for being such helpful!

Conditions are certainly icy but I must say the pistes are covered and there is good skiing to be had. Most of area is open. Seems the cannons are doin the job well so no complaints. Well worth a visit if have the flexibility.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Crikey @Bennyboy1, hope you're not feeling too rough. With a bit of luck you'll have all of March and April for skiing, so stick in at the gym/physiology and get well soon.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Valkyrie, thank you!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hey folks, sounds like the pistes are holding up pretty well considering, just wondering about the off piste base - is there any at all. I see a few sites are forecasting about 50cm or so over the next five day period, then there might be some further disturbances in the wek after that - would that fill it up enough?

Just starting to look around for my annual last minute deal, and there's a few for next week (W/C 7th).

Any thoughts?

Hope you recover quick and strong Bennyboy.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Day 1 in Mayrhofen for us today and in terms of off piste there's absolutely nothing! White ribbons between green fields... The pistes are eh... "interesting" for sure! Considering what they have to work with it's amazing, they've done a really good job, but it's all artificial. And since it rained a couple of days ago then froze, it's a bit like a snow dome! A cm or 2 of crystals on top of sheet ice, which is pretty much scraped bare in spots. Then again, maybe it was my skis... They've gone in for a service so hopefully tomorrow I might get a bit more grip! Still a great day, 40 km mostly in sunshine, and despite it being new year there wasn't much queuing for lifts.

@Bennyboy1, hope you are recovering ok. I saw a good few slips and crashes today. Fingers crossed we get through the week unscathed.. but it's still the best way ever to start a new year!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Looks as though you're in for some fresh snow over the next few days.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
esaw1 wrote:
Looks as though you're in for some fresh snow over the next few days.

Yeah, hopefully. It's certainly badly needed. We went up Ahorn this am and although there's not much in the way of terrain the snow conditions were much better than Penken yesterday. Even the black run down to town was fine. A few icy patches but enough snow to avoid most of them. Went over to Zell am Ziller this afternoon and it's gorgeous! Pretty good snow too! We didn't have a lot of time to explore but we'll get back there another day.

It was colder today so the cannons were on everywhere.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Any updates from Mayrhofen since the snow started a couple of days ago? The webcams certainly look better! I'm heading out on 14th so I'm hoping it keeps falling!
latest report
snow everywhere!! Madeye-Smiley Little Angel Blush Little Angel
snow report
sounds like it's a bit brass too.

In Innsbruck this weekend. Will probably try Hochzillertal/Kaltenbach. Multistorey carpark means no need to clear snow off car at the end of the day Wink
latest report
andy wrote:
Will probably try Hoch Zillertal

If you get chance please post a conditions report on Saturday Evening. I would be especially keen to know if you or anyone else finds anything that is skiable off piste (without destroying their skis in the process).
ski holidays
will do
(won't be going off piste though)
snow conditions
Good luck with snow. Very jealous!
snow conditions
We've had about 30-40cm of snow in Hochfügen. The pistes are in great condition. Off piste there wasn't / isn't a base so it's pretty sketchy. Also, the snow came with high wind which means it's really dangerous at the moment.
The forecast is for slightly warmer temperatures, which hopefully will help the snow to settle. And then more snow.
snow report
I see they've opened the Krimml Xpress now in Zell so the snow must have made a big difference to the link
ski holidays
Lots of creaky, very grippy, snow today. Very cold, -12C in the carpark this morning. -16C at Hochfügen. It's trying to snow again at top of 8er Jet.
ski holidays
It's snowing snowHead Very Happy
snow conditions
Just back. Friday was fantastic, but absolutely freezing!!! The pistes were in amazing shape and there was enough to float happily in between the pistes. I didn't venture anywhere that hadn't been clear green meadow earlier in the week though - there wouldn't have been enough to safely cover rocks etc. One of the chairs went up through forest where there had been 2 foot tree stumps earlier in the week. After the dump they were barely covered, but just enough to trap the unwary. Will be an amazing mogul field later on, but not yet!
snow conditions
Lovely powder today snowHead
latest report
We went up Ahorn about 1pm yesterday. It was snowing on and off pretty much all day and vis was bad at times, so bad that there was talk of us not landing at Innsbruck for a while. What a day though, much hilarity bouncing around in the soft bumps. Knee to waist deep off the sides but in no base so caution must be used. Probably head up to Hintertux today as the sun is threatening to show itself.
ski holidays
Good conditions on piste in Mayrhofen. Almost everything is open and in great condition. Only exception so far was red 76 and the T-bar it leads to in the Eggalm area.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bergfex now reports all runs and uplift open in Mayrhofen. 10 sleeps to go!!
snow report
few photos i had sent to me from a friend in the village look fantastic, glad to hear everything is now is now basically open, hopefully the good weather yesterday and today will settle some of the base and the top up 45cm + in the coming 3 days should allow for a bit of side county......would just like some fresh to show on the charts for our arrival next weekend!
snow report
Quote:

Bergfex now reports all runs and uplift open in Mayrhofen. 10 sleeps to go!!

1 Sleep!
latest report
Any updates - particularly on off piste depth?
ski holidays
rogg wrote:
Any updates - particularly on off piste depth?

Tops of trees and/or rocks showing through areas you can see from lifts.
Ice patches developing on many pistes, but that may be due to them not doing much bashing last night.
snow report
Snowed fairly heavily in Mayrhofen all day yesterday. Started snowing as we left resort at 0700. Snow all the way to Innsbruck and still snowing.
snow report
Stayed around Penken Yesterday as our transfer was at 12. What a morning! Probably my best day ever storm riding although vis was really bad at times. So bad I missed a corner on black 33 and ended up in a steep (for me) bit of forest amoungst the snow fences - it was pretty sketchy: https://www.instagram.com/p/BPN1XI3DZgO/

We had an amazing 5 days, having never been to Austria before, we all agreed that it'll be a long time before we go anywhere else. I know we were lucky with the snow but everything else was so on point - it took us a couple of days to get into the correct rythm but once we were the amazing moments just flowed.
snow conditions
I skied in the Zillertal last week and what a wonderful place it is. I was lucky with the blue skies, cold temperatures and fantastic, silky smooth snow but what really made it for me was that in four days skiing skied 4 resorts all world class. Zillertal Arena, Mayrhofen, Hoch Zillertal and Hintertux glacier(-17C) made wonderfully varied skiing mainly over 2000m , much better than any of the over-marketed French mega resorts. Efficient railway and bus links gets you where you want easily. Add in the beautiful scenery, Austrain Alpine charm of particular Mayrhofen and the fact that the Zillertal is only a couple hours from Munich by train - no 4 hour plus coach transfers and no need to hire a car so no worries about fitting chains and driving in a blizzard. By far the best area I have skied including France, USA and Canada
ski holidays
Snow Hound wrote:
Stayed around Penken Yesterday as our transfer was at 12. What a morning! Probably my best day ever storm riding although vis was really bad at times. So bad I missed a corner on black 33 and ended up in a steep (for me) bit of forest amoungst the snow fences - it was pretty sketchy: https://www.instagram.com/p/BPN1XI3DZgO/

We had an amazing 5 days, having never been to Austria before, we all agreed that it'll be a long time before we go anywhere else. I know we were lucky with the snow but everything else was so on point - it took us a couple of days to get into the correct rythm but once we were the amazing moments just flowed.

Looks savage! Possibly not the best place to be with a dump if there was high avalanche risk (trees aside) but still jealous
snow report
I'm escaping the stinking hot new zealand summer tomorrow and heading to Mayrhofen for a week. Really excited even if it is a bit of a long flight.

First time on a European mountain Very Happy It's going to be a novel experience going somewhere with more than two ski lifts and a gondola up the mountain.
snow report
You'll love it @hang11,. Be warned however, you'll want to come back snowHead

I'm doing my third European snow trip from Australia in less than two weeks. Pretty sure it's even hotter where I am so can't wait for winter. First time skiing in Austria for me.
snow report
@ognip, don't talk too loud about the virtues of the Zillertal, you might convert too many of those blinkered snow heads who think that France is more superior because of its altitude and Austria is second best!!!!
I too have just got back from my annual visit to Mayrhofen. Can't wait for March 11 to come back.
Glad you enjoyed the Zillertal and summarised it perfectly.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy