Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zillertal 2016/17 Weather Report

Poster: A snowHead
hang11 wrote:
I'm escaping the stinking hot new zealand summer tomorrow and heading to Mayrhofen for a week. Really excited even if it is a bit of a long flight.

First time on a European mountain Very Happy It's going to be a novel experience going somewhere with more than two ski lifts and a gondola up the mountain.

A couple of little tips about the afterski that it took us a few days to work out. If you're staying any distance from the center rent a locker under the Penkenbahn so you can leave kit and grab some comfortable footwear (at least). Our first big night was filled with cries of "most of this lot haven't even been skiing!". We found Ice Bar - Brück'n Stadl - maybe food - then Harakiri from about 11 if it's a marathon session the best route. Scotland Yard has a smoking and non smoking side, we walked into the wrong side about 9pm on the first night - only a few people there and the ones that are are smoking indoors! We thought the nightlife was going to be a big letdown on first appearances. It ended up being legendary.

It's obvious but just incase save Tux for a bluebird day! I wish I was going back.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Snow Hound wrote:
hang11 wrote:
I'm escaping the stinking hot new zealand summer tomorrow and heading to Mayrhofen for a week. Really excited even if it is a bit of a long flight.

First time on a European mountain Very Happy It's going to be a novel experience going somewhere with more than two ski lifts and a gondola up the mountain.

A couple of little tips about the afterski that it took us a few days to work out. If you're staying any distance from the center rent a locker under the Penkenbahn so you can leave kit and grab some comfortable footwear (at least). Our first big night was filled with cries of "most of this lot haven't even been skiing!". We found Ice Bar - Brück'n Stadl - maybe food - then Harakiri from about 11 if it's a marathon session the best route. Scotland Yard has a smoking and non smoking side, we walked into the wrong side about 9pm on the first night - only a few people there and the ones that are are smoking indoors! We thought the nightlife was going to be a big letdown on first appearances. It ended up being legendary.

It's obvious but just incase save Tux for a bluebird day! I wish I was going back.

Awesome - thanks Happy

Catching up with a few mates I haven't seen for years, so reasonably likely that this advice will be very useful....

Got a couple of days in the UK either side of going to Austria as well.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If I hadn't busted my shoulder I would have been in Zillertal this week end enjoying the amazing conditions Sad

Now dreaming of our return at the end of March! Cannot come fast enough 😀
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Snow Hound wrote:

For the avoidance of confusion, do you mean Tux (which is in the Mayrhofen area) or Hintertux?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
sugarmoma666 wrote:
Snow Hound wrote:

For the avoidance of confusion, do you mean Tux (which is in the Mayrhofen area) or Hintertux?

Well spotted! I indeed mean Hintertux, the separate (easy bus ride from Mayrhofen station) glacial area. I hadn't noticed there was a Tux area of Mayrhofen (50er Tux lift rings a bell?), we went there no doubt, I'm pretty sure we went everywhere, with only Eggalm being in sub-amazing condition.

Ahorn is only really worth a half day if you travel at any pace but the Ice Lounge at the top is a must see.

I also forgot to mention that the bar closest to the top of Penkenbahn is the nicer of the two and that the self service restaurant up there was very good, as was pretty much everywhere we ate.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Snow Hound wrote:
sugarmoma666 wrote:
Snow Hound wrote:

Well spotted! I indeed mean Hintertux, the separate (easy bus ride from Mayrhofen station) glacial area. I hadn't noticed there was a Tux area of Mayrhofen (50er Tux lift rings a bell?), we went there no doubt, I'm pretty sure we went everywhere, with only Eggalm being in sub-amazing condition.

We didn't make it up to Hintertux. We had a mixed group with a couple of beginners, and the weather never really encouraged the rest of us to head straight up there in the morning whilst they were in lessons. There was so much great skiing to be done in Mayrhofen that in the end we never ventured away from there (in spite of getting up one morning with plans to head to Kaltenbach). Fully agree that Eggalm was the only place where we found some marginal conditions.

The skiing reached by the 50er Tux lift was some great open motorway blues and reds.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I didn't use the lockers at the Penkenbahn over Christmas as I was staying near the train station anyway so easier for me that time to keep my stuff at the hotel (used the train a lot)
Anyhow, the lockers, are they like the Alber Check In ones in St Anton where you have a heated locker for your boots helmet and gloves and your skis go in a separate rack or is the locker big enough to put the lot in there?
And does the locker have its own boot blowers?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm pretty sure they come in 1, 2 and 4 person sizes? You can get everything in there. In fact we got 7 people's stuff including 2 snowboards in 2x 2 person lockers. Don't remember boot blowers but do remember everything being warm enough to dry boots out. Just watch for closing times as they were cleaning round us one night - we didn't get enough passes registered (watch for this as well) and had to wait for a numpty to come back from the hotel and open the locker.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@VolklAttivaS5, the Intersport depo at the Penken base or the new top shop are big enough for all equipment and heated. They do family size or smaller sizes. We found the base ideal if you want to use other areas. At the base drop you can get the lift up to the gondola level so very easy. Book online in advance.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Snow Hound, @Bennyboy1,

Ok thanks
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Bennyboy1 wrote:
[b]@VolklAttivaS5[/bAt the base drop you can get the lift up to the gondola level so very easy.

We did that until we noticed that the sign on the lift was that it was only for pushchairs, disabled, etc., i.e. not just for skiers and boarders Embarassed
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@sugarmoma666, since I had my arm in a sling I didn't feel so guilty after the third day. However you must b a better person than me. Embarassed
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bennyboy1 wrote:
@sugarmoma666, since I had my arm in a sling I didn't feel so guilty after the third day. However you must b a better person than me. Embarassed

You met the criteria. I decided I definitely didn't Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hello,

Apologies for the thread hijack. Can anyone recommend one of the ski schools in Mayrhofen?

There are 12 in our group of 40 year old ish women coming for a long weekend are the start of March. We have a 4 beginners, 5 intermediates and 3 advanced skiers, so probably want 3 instructors for a morning or two of private instruction/guiding.

I have found the 4 ski schools on the tourist office website, but was wondering if anyone had personal experience of using any of them.

Thank you
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Kantha, no hijack do t worry. That's what the thread is for Very Happy

We used SMT which we found generally very good but it was my kids not adults so I cannot comment for 40yr olds ish.

Skierdad gave very good feedback on Habeler and we actually got our 7 year old a private lesson at the end of the week. Nice small school with none of the big group mentality of most schools. We thought they were great so well worth speaking to them.
ski holidays
Thank you. Good to know that I can ask non weather questions here.

Apres ski tips would also be appreciated! We are in the process of making table reservations for each night. Spots for drinks on and off the mountain would be made use of.
snow report
Kantha wrote:
Thank you. Good to know that I can ask non weather questions here.

Apres ski tips would also be appreciated! We are in the process of making table reservations for each night. Spots for drinks on and off the mountain would be made use of.

I made some afterski recommendations in the posts above. Brück'n Stadl is a must at least once.
snow conditions
Waldcafe for dinner.

(Whilst hijacking a thread isn't a biggie, this is a thread on weather, in the weather bit of the forum, so you'd be better to post in the resorts section with questions not related to the weather.)
ski holidays
sugarmoma666 wrote:
Beer and sausage for dinner.

(Whilst hijacking a thread isn't a biggie, this is a thread on weather, in the weather bit of the forum, so when Snow Hound is about to go on a trip don't hijack the main weather thread or the thread for that specific area, other than that, knock yourself out!)

Fixed that for you.
snow conditions
Worth trying out a lot of the smaller resorts as well, especially if it drops the amount of snow it did at the weekend!

Deep Powder Skiing In Austria - Zillertal from paul jamieson
https://vimeo.com/199688412
snow report
@the_doc, where is that? The chair lifts look familiar in the background but not sure where that is in the Zillertal? Is it Gerlos?
latest report
Hi Guys, back to Mayrhofen on the 4th Feb. Last time there was 2011, has the new 3s Penkenbahn made a difference? It was okay early in the morning but crowded on the way back down last time.
Can't wait anyway, just hoping for some more of snow before then.
Ta
latest report
Didn't que once early Jan. Cabin was almost full one afternoon just after the bars kicked out.

*queue.
ski holidays
Thats great @Snow Hound[/b], cheers
ski holidays
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
@the_doc, where is that? The chair lifts look familiar in the background but not sure where that is in the Zillertal? Is it Gerlos?

Fugen, fantastic little place!
snow report
@the_doc, ah yes I know it
Going back next Christmas as this one was great even though there wasn't lots of snow
ski holidays
the_doc wrote:
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:

Fugen, fantastic little place!

Spieljoch?
latest report
Just back from Mayrhofen. Blue skies, pistes in great condition. Off piste crusty I'm told. Effing cold at night.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Ghost Dog, Any casualties? Just booked up for the 25th March.
snow report
How are the snow conditions holding up in the valley? Webcams stil look ok...
snow conditions
Jim, there were definitely some alcohol casualties Smile

Stuart fell on Tuesday and was mumping about sore upper body while we were skiing on Wed morning but otherwise no.

Love to join you March but exams appear to preclude this. Humph, pesky kids.
snow report
@Bennyboy1, I'm just back from 4 bluebird days. On piste conditions are still good. I would say a solid 7/10
ski holidays
@red 27, thanks. Possible snowfall this week could help a little. I am not back until end of March so only keeping tabs.
latest report
Hey guys,
Can I trust good snow on March 11-18? I have an accommodation booked for these dates and can cancel in the next few days, so have to make a decision,
Thanks!
snow report
Lots of fresh yesterday which has smartened things up nicely. Superb day on hintertux today, off piste nice, not deep but soft. Pistes in great condition, and not busy, it's all G at the moment
snow report
@michald, Go
ski holidays
Thanks!
snow conditions
Snowing on the hill just now, should help to freshen things up.
snow conditions
update pleaseeee Very Happy - flying out to Mayrhofen on the 12th of March
latest report
In kaltenbach at the mo, pistes quite good except the run into the village at the end of the day. It is busy but no queues to speak of. A few cm forecast for tomorrow and a little more on Friday will hopefully freshen things up.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy