Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomites 2016/17 Weather Report

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone back from Arabba recently ... or even better, there now?

Heading out on the 14th, already decided to ski rather than board (not a confident enough boarder to deal with hard, icy, packed slopes) but am getting a bit worried that the skiing will be a bit pants.

It's still a nice place to be (pass the bombardino please) ... and i know they are top drawer with the artificial stuff, but how accessible are the other areas? Will we be confined to the Arabba area, or will any of the loop be do-able?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think pretty much everything is open and I haven't heard any reports about icy pistes in the Dolomites. I suspect that is more of a problem in the western Alps where the air has been damper.

Hopefully someone will be along soon with an on the ground report.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Peter S, http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=127302&start=560#2986139
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Not the Ronda, but the Pralongia area in Alta badia is closed today : having watched the 'vid' in the above link, I'm not surprised !!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
albob wrote:
Not the Ronda, but the Pralongia area in Alta badia is closed today : having watched the 'vid' in the above link, I'm not surprised !!

The S-facing pistes off Pralongia suffer in the sun, some of the runs there don't have snowmaking either.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Looks like another dusting from the N tomorrow.

The 00Z throws up the chance of precip along with cold for next weekend 14th, some of the ensembles go for it big time, dragging the average up.

As the High currently above W France slips out into the Atlantic, it's going to allow moisture into the Alps, exact positions of the High will determine which ranges get hit. This coming week a NW flow around an Azorean High will favour N Alps, but there is a chance something could bubble up out of the Gulf of Genoa at some point.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Spent last week in Selva and skied Arabba on Tuesday. The slopes are in good nick and the blacks on the north slopes above Arabba skiing very well, quite hard but not icy. However, high winds on Thursday have caused some ice on exposed slopes in Selva and Corvara so may have in Arabba also. But considering the lack of any natural snow cover the on piste conditions are remarkably good.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Have just returned from a week based in Canazei. The pistes are fine throughout Arabba and the Sella Ronda as a whole. There are some sections of hardpack around Arabba and some other sectors depending on wind/orientation/skier traffic- runs on the "circuit" quickly change in character. Much better for skiers rather than boarders. Get out early to find perfect "corduroy". From my perspective the best pistes were definitely off the Belvedere(Canazei) and also on the neglected(by skiers) runs down to Pozza di Fassa. The "hidden valley" was open and in incredible condition given the lack of natural snowfall.If you travel to the Seceda sector- above Selva and Ortesei you will also find amazing conditions... though its a fair distance from Arabba. You will find great skiing, but no off piste of course! Skiing in the Dolomites will never be "pants". Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@BJP, @barbossine,

Thanks for the 'first-hand' reports... Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
albob wrote:
@BJP, @barbossine,

Thanks for the 'first-hand' reports... Madeye-Smiley

+1 Comforting to know it's holding up well. snowHead
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Snow flakes on the Arabba webcams today Smile
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
albob wrote:
Snow flakes on the Arabba webcams today Smile

Looks like Speikboden & Ladurns up by the Austrian border benefited most again. Just a dusting for the Dolomites, along with strong winds and deep cold.

Meanwhile, as Noza pointed out on the main weather thread, villages in the Apennines in Central Italy have been almost buried by sea-effect snow as the winds race down from the N across the Adriatic with Polar cold. Even coastal locations in Sicily have seen sea-effect snow off the Tyrrhenian Sea.

http://www.severe-weather.eu/mid-range-outlook/severe-burabora-winds-over-the-adriatic-sea-and-intense-sea-effect-snowfall-across-cntrl-s-italy-january-6-2017/
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
A few cms on Friday? Not really been showing up on the GFS operational runs but most of the other ensembles show something and Bergfex gives (all of) 4cm. It would be nice if it could look at least a bit like winter for my visit next week but I feel Friday's snow will just be a bit of dandruff again; a few crumbs from the snow-rich man of Austria's table.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
luigi wrote:
Even coastal locations in Sicily have seen sea-effect snow off the Tyrrhenian Sea.

http://www.severe-weather.eu/mid-range-outlook/severe-burabora-winds-over-the-adriatic-sea-and-intense-sea-effect-snowfall-across-cntrl-s-italy-january-6-2017/

Well it's a bit further south than the Dolomites, but it looks like the Mount Etna ski area could be in for some epic snow over the next few days! Laughing
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Blast, I thought hidden valley was closed and didn't bother heading over. Oh well, next year. To echo Barbossine, pistes were all in good albeit firm shape. Skiied Sasslong on Friday and it couldn't have been in better nick. All pistes around Selva were holding up well, although on Thursday in -16 and winds some exposed areas were a bit polished. What with snow, wind and cold the only answer was a leisurely lunch. That was the day I proved myself a complete numbnutz, queing for a bus to Plan de Gralba for 45 mins (both uplifts from Selva closed due to wind) before remembering I had a car with me. Of course by the time I had recovered car and loaded up lifts running.
ski holidays
@Ghost Dog, thank you and to the others for the re-assurance. Amazing what they have been able to do!
ski holidays
Thank You all for the replies. Very re-assuring.
ski holidays
Another up-to-date photo-report on Alpinforum, Friday 6th Jan at Carezza, yesterday (8th) on the Alpe di Siusi/Seiseralm...

http://www.alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=56791

Shows how complete, skiable...and empty...the pistes are in these 2 off-the-beaten-track ski areas...this photo from Alpe di Siusi/Seiseralm with the backdrop of Sassolungo/Langkofel & Sassopiatto/Plattkofel looking moody in the cloud.

latest report
@luigi, thanks for the link. Amazing what the authorities in the South Tirol have achieved. It looks almost like sorcery although as one of the posters on the Alpinforum notes it is a shame that there's artificial snow when half of Europe is sinking under the real stuff. But, heh, never mind; it still looks wonderful. As an aside, they always seem to have such nice pictures on that website!
ski holidays
pjd wrote:
As an aside, they always seem to have such nice pictures on that website!

Yes, they have some excellent photographers amongst the reporters there, all accurately & thoroughly annotated too.

If ever I want to see what a ski resort is really like, I chuck the name in the Search box and find a photo-report.

It's great for monitoring current conditions as they seem to upload their reports very promptly, often on the evening of the day they skied it.

Not many reports from France though. Plenty from Austria.

This photo from Saturday 7th Jan in the Zillertal Arena illustrates the divide in the weather that the Zillertaler Alps are currently creating. (NB. PHOTO IS AUSTRIA, NOT DOLOMITES)

ski holidays
Cheers @luigi. Things looking a bit snowier for the Dolomites on Friday this morning. Bergfex predicting 13cm for the Alta Badia (although with fairly strong winds).We'll see!
snow report
pjd wrote:
Cheers @luigi. Things looking a bit snowier for the Dolomites on Friday this morning. Bergfex predicting 13cm for the Alta Badia (although with fairly strong winds).We'll see!

It's that Med low that was flipping and flopping before. Finally seems to have come good and looks to get very active in the Adriatic. Looks like the general NW flow across the Alps will prevent it doing too much to the Dolomites, but mountains of Croatia & Slovenia are showing heavy snow on the Bergfex maps. Let's see how it develops, 10-15 cm down to Valley level could transform the look of the landscape in the Dolomites! snowHead

http://www.bergfex.com/venetien/wetter/schneevorhersage/?t=0_144
snow report
Noza has given it the nod on the main weather thread! snowHead

Though the main active fronts associated with the Low are forecast to be in the SE quadrant, it definitely needs watching, these Genoa/Adriatic lows seem to have a habit of delivering to the Dollies once they get up and running. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Zillertal looking good. Off there on 21 Jan, can't wait.
ski holidays
Still looking pretty good for Friday. Snowforecast predicting 20cm for Gröden, Bergfex going for half of that. After that it looks pretty dry to me so all eyes on the end of the week Very Happy
snow conditions
pjd wrote:
Still looking pretty good for Friday. Snowforecast predicting 20cm for Gröden, Bergfex going for half of that. After that it looks pretty dry to me so all eyes on the end of the week Very Happy

Fingers crossed for Friday!! Might be enough to pretty things up for your trip! Smile

Low pressure seems to want to keep bubbling around Italy/Adriatic over the weekend and into the middle of next week. Bergfex has 5-10cm snow on both Tues & Wed next week in Civetta. The maps show huge accumulations in Friuli, Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia and NE Apennines. I'm guessing the general NW Atlantic flow gives a Fohn effect and keeps the main moisture away from the Dolomites, but if the Azores High shifted around a bit and let in a W/SW!! snowHead

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Wed 11-01-17 11:56; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
I seem to be out of luck, all it shows for Madonna is a sprinkling on friday, hope that changes,. I know they have great snow making, but it would be so much nicer to have all the runs open and fresh snow. All I can do now is hope that sprinkling develops into something heavier for the weekend. Flying on friday morning, so there is time yet.
snow report
biddpyat wrote:
I seem to be out of luck, all it shows for Madonna is a sprinkling on friday, hope that changes,. I know they have great snow making, but it would be so much nicer to have all the runs open and fresh snow. All I can do now is hope that sprinkling develops into something heavier for the weekend. Flying on friday morning, so there is time yet.

Bergfex goes for 4cm Friday, 3cm on Sunday and 5-10cm next Wed...that should keep things looking prettier and top up all the excellent snowmaking, if it all comes off...there's low pressure over warm seas, along with some frigid air in the mountains, so anything's possible! Have fun!! snowHead

http://www.bergfex.com/madonna-di-campiglio/wetter/berg/

Damn...it's just updated...Sunday and next week has all but disappeared now...come on Friday! snowHead

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Wed 11-01-17 12:45; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Birthday Bash and PreWeek end of Jan, early Feb to the Dolomites. Lots of snowheads will be looking at this thread with interest! 10cm of fresh should at least create some whiteness, if not a base for any off-piste.... fingers crossed for that slight Azores High shift!
snow conditions
@luigi, oh wow, you made my day, woop, woop, I love faffing about off piste, and just love snow all over, so that amount in the next week, will certainly make a difference. Thanks for that, off to do my work now with a spring in my step. snowHead
latest report
@biddpyat, I can see you're a glass half full kind of person!! Laughing

It looks like the snow could be back on for next week... snowHead

Bergfex has 12cm sweeping in from the N tomorrow in Alleghe/Civetta. This will obviously favour Austria more, but it looks like more is making it over the border this time.

Dry & cold over the weekend, then there's 18-28cm forecast Tues-Fri next week, as a low pressure system swirls around Italy picking up moisture from the Adriatic & Tyrrhenian basins and throwing it at the surrounding mountains. This scenario all looks a bit uncertain as to how much & where, but it's the kind of scenario that could bring a dump, Thurs is currently looking best for the Dolomites as it has the wind direction coming up from the SE off the Adriatic.

http://www.bergfex.com/civetta/wetter/prognose/
snow conditions
Check out this forecast . . . .

http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/snowreports/snowreport.aspx#.WHe4_VxWpxM
latest report
http://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_display.php?ext=1&lat=46.35627530364373&lon=11.698113207547166

The possibility of snow next week not really showing up yet on GFS apart from the operational run on the 22nd on the 12z which has gone bonkers! Clearly an outlier though! Webcams showed a dusting for Seiseralm before it got dark tonight. Still looking good for tomorrow for the Dolomites snowHead
ski holidays
luigi wrote:

Dry & cold over the weekend, then there's 18-28cm forecast Tues-Fri next week

...and we arrive in Selva on the Friday. Ding dong. wink

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 13-01-17 9:27; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Some new snow showing on the Pedraces/Badia web cam this morning snowHead
snow report
Mollerski wrote:
luigi wrote:

Dry & cold over the weekend, then there's 18-28cm forecast Tues-Fri next week

...and we arrive in Selva on the Friday. Ding dong. wink

Don't get your hopes too high! wink

For Selva, Bergfex now has 7cm today and just 1cm dustings next week, though still hangs on to a bit more (5-10cm) for Alleghe/Civetta to the SE next Thurs.

http://www.bergfex.com/groeden-wolkenstein/wetter/berg/

http://www.bergfex.com/civetta/wetter/prognose/
snow report
It is looking quite snowy at Plan de Gralba this morning, more than a dusting, probably 2-3cm on the tables...all very useful and looking a lot whiter everywhere now, even roofs in Ortisei are white, but probably need a bit more if the whiteness is going to last when the sun comes back out at the weekend.

http://www.bergfex.com/groeden-wolkenstein/webcams/c561/
latest report
pjd wrote:
http://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_display.php?ext=1&lat=46.35627530364373&lon=11.698113207547166

The possibility of snow next week not really showing up yet on GFS apart from the operational run on the 22nd on the 12z which has gone bonkers! Clearly an outlier though! Webcams showed a dusting for Seiseralm before it got dark tonight. Still looking good for tomorrow for the Dolomites snowHead

Today's 00Z showing just small amounts next week for Arabba coordinates and even the 'bonkers' thing for the 22nd looks to have disappeared, though some ensemble runs seem to pick up on it, as you said, it looks like an outlier.

http://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_display.php?ext=1&lat=46.49&lon=11.87
latest report
Well it's snowing at resort level in San Cassiano. Just seen a video stream from Hotel Rosa Alpina and Alta Badia official on instagram. All the webcams now look snowy too. Very Happy
ski holidays
Certainly now looking much more like winter from the webcams. Seems to have been snowing on and off all day. Looks like the snow might have ceased now though. 5 to 10cm of new snow maybe, depending on location. Alta Badia looks to have fared rather better than say Seiseralm but a big improvement visually everywhere.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy