Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomites 2016/17 Weather Report

Poster: A snowHead
pjd wrote:
Alta Badia looks to have fared rather better than say Seiseralm.

Who want's to go to the white golf course which is Alpe Di Suisi anyway? wink
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mollerski wrote:
pjd wrote:
Alta Badia looks to have fared rather better than say Seiseralm.

Who want's to go to the white golf course which is Alpe Di Suisi anyway? wink

I'd easily go back for another trip there. Super scenery, super mountain huts, great pistes (for my ability level), easy to get to with public transport, reasonable accomodation prices!! Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cortina d'Ampezzo looks to have done well today.
Re huts on the Seiseralm, the Radauer Schwaige is one of the best mountain huts I've been to - fantastically unchanged and run by a very nice family. Interestingly, the whole alp is very predominantly German speaking whereas down in the valley at St Christina it switches to Ladin.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Oh yes, webcams looking nice & white this morning...some areas reporting 5-10cm new snow since yesterday, it's starting to look like a Winter Wonderland, cold temps should preserve that for a while. We'll see what next week brings!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
luigi wrote:
Oh yes, webcams looking nice & white this morning!

The snow falls for the righteous. Very Happy Off on Friday. wink
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mollerski wrote:
luigi wrote:
Oh yes, webcams looking nice & white this morning!

The snow falls for the righteous. Very Happy Off on Friday. wink

Keep praying...it'll take a proper miracle to deliver any off-piste potential, but at least the pistes are all complete and it's looking proper wintry all over now! snowHead

After deep cold and some sunshine over the weekend, forecasts are currently showing the chance of another dusting mid-week, the centre of the forecast Low looks to stay further South over the Tyrrhenian Sea as the Azores High shifts into Britain & N Germany. The fronts associated with the Tyrrhenian Low seem to be making it only as far North as the mountains of Croatia & Bosnia and NE Apennines in Central Italy where some large accumulations are expected.

Meanwhile the snow gods are blessing Switzerland & Austria with more white bounty today!! Laughing
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Looks like almost a full house for the sella Ronda.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The superdolomiti are now reporting 421 out of 457 lifts are operational today, 1058kms of runs out of 1200 are open.

Impressive given how little natural snow there has been so far. Cool
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Arabba is claiming 12 cm of fresh today, with snow depth of 22cm in valley and 80cm at the top, looking fairly healthy! snowHead

Selva looks a little leaner with 5cm new and piste depths of 8cm valley & 10cm mountain according to Bergfex.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
luigi wrote:
[
Meanwhile the snow gods are blessing Switzerland & Austria with more white bounty today!! Laughing

My Son skied 30km of waist deep powder tree runs with his pals in Verbier yesterday. Said it was one of his best days 'ever'. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Bit hard packed in passo today but lovely at point de lingo the black runs had some other yesterday's little snow showers left and it was nice ! Top of the mountain was very windy so less joy on that. In madonna now and while off psite seems out of bounds the snow making seems top Notch! Delighted with our apartment at the bottom of the world cup run , great view and we can ski home, still hoping for snow , that would be cool, excuse the pun.lol
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It's really far out I know but the 06z GFS looks good for the Dolomites for the end of the month.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@pjd, Fingers crossed then - that's my week !!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi All

Does anyone happen to be in or skied in Canazei at the moment as I would love to know what the actual pistes are like to ski on, including back to the village?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pjd wrote:
It's really far out I know but the 06z GFS looks good for the Dolomites for the end of the month.

Nice big spike on the last 3 days of the month!! snowHead

Dry & cold this week with N then E flow, getting a bit milder and possibly some snowfall at the weekend. The Med low is there this week, but struggles to get far enough North in recent forecasts.
ski holidays
In Canazei this week. All of the pistes in the area including the run to resort are in remarkable condition. In fact all pistes skied across the Dolomiti area in similar condition.It's very very cold n sunny,hopefully for 4 more days.
snow report
Arrived in Alleghe yesterday. Looks like the great war tour between cinque torres and Lagazuoi lift has been downgraded to skibus. I can understand why the long flat link between Falzarego and Bai de Dones might be tricky but why are all the blues and reds up the hill (especially skiweg croda negra) closed when these are all high lying? Anyone know what the plan is and when they might be open again?
snow report
chomski wrote:
Arrived in Alleghe yesterday. Looks like the great war tour between cinque torres and Lagazuoi lift has been downgraded to skibus. I can understand why the long flat link between Falzarego and Bai de Dones might be tricky but why are all the blues and reds up the hill (especially skiweg croda negra) closed when these are all high lying? Anyone know what the plan is and when they might be open again?

No snowmaking perhaps??

The Croda Negra chair wasn't running when I did it last Feb and I clubbed together with some Germans to get a shared Taxi from Bai de Dones up to Passo Falzarego, to save waiting for the skibus.
latest report
New photo-report from the weekend over on Alpinforum, Sat 14th at Carezza starts here...

http://www.alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=56791#p5107310

...and Sun 15th on the Sella Ronda starts here...

http://www.alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=56791#p5107444

A definite improvement with the new snow...

The Paolina chair in the Carezza ski area:

The Costoratta chair at Campolongo Pass between Arabba & Corvara:

latest report
waitrose wrote:
Hi All

Does anyone happen to be in or skied in Canazei at the moment as I would love to know what the actual pistes are like to ski on, including back to the village?

Val di Fassa lift consortium website says valley run is open, but you can always download on the gondola...

http://www.fassa.com/en/Ski-area-Belvedere-Col-Rodella/

To go along with johnmac's thumbs-up of conditions, a nice pic of the Belvedere area above Canazei taken 2 days ago on Sunday 15th... snowHead

latest report
Today's 00Z repeats the Arabba-geddon scenario for the last 2-3 days of Jan! 12 days out but keeps showing up! Shocked

http://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_display.php?ext=1&lat=46.49&lon=11.87
latest report
@luigi,

On that image, how do I interpret it? Is it that black spike on the 31st?

snow conditions
albob wrote:
@luigi,

Yes it's the black spike, but as that shows the "Run GFS" is an distinct outlier. Of the 20 different perturbations they run most show little to no snow, with a few showing some but less than the op run. That far in the future a GFS op prediction unsupported by the other scenarios (or even the other GFS runs throughout the day) doesn't mean that much. The scenario average (the thick red line) is a better guide of what there is any support for.
latest report
@albob, as Drogue says and before anyone starts panicking, it's an outlier and a long way off, so far from a prediction at this stage, more a 'watch this space'...and with all likelihood it will disappear or get downgraded as so often has happened with snowfall for the Dolomites this season.
latest report
Thanks to both...
latest report
albob wrote:
@luigi,

Well, the big spike was there until the 18Z yesterday, but today's 00Z still shows a snow event around the turn of the month, but with significant downgrade as to amounts! Very Happy

Looking relatively dry throughout the run until then, just the chance of a dusting on Mon 23rd. snowHead
snow conditions
Long time listener, first time caller...

We're off to Corvara on Feb 4th and a little concerned at our ability versus snow conditions - scraped out snow and ice is definitely not my friend. Any reassurance about the ease of skiing on man-made or advice on where to go for best, easy-cruising conditions would be very welcome. We have a car - so can move around a bit... Thanks
ski holidays
@Barbs007, Don't worry, it will be fine. The snow making and piste grooming in The Dolomites is probably the best in the world. Even if there is no fresh snow before you go the pistes will be in fine condition. snowHead

You should be concerned about 120 lunatic Snowheads that will be in the area at the same time though!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sequoiaboard wrote:
@Barbs007, Don't worry, it will be fine. The snow making and piste grooming in The Dolomites is probably the best in the world. Even if there is no fresh snow before you go the pistes will be in fine condition. snowHead

You should be concerned about 120 lunatic Snowheads that will be in the area at the same time though!

That's good to hear. We got super-lucky with late snow in VT last year and almost felt like a skier by the end of it - but however hard I try, hitting a bit of ice still freaks me out Puzzled
snow report
Getting a little milder in the sunshine as the week progresses. High Pressure dominates over N Central Europe is allowing a couple of storms to pass through the Med this week and over the weekend, both look to be too far South to interest the Dolomites. There's been catastrophic snow in C Italy along with a medium earthquake and some heavy falls currently predicted at the weekend in SW Piedmont, but the weekend storm track is uncertain...if the High were to slip W of Britain allowing a Genoa Low to track from SW to NE...clutching at straws! Laughing
snow report
luigi wrote:
Getting a little milder in the sunshine as the week progresses. High Pressure dominates over N Central Europe is allowing a couple of storms to pass through the Med this week and over the weekend, both look to be too far South to interest the Dolomites. There's been catastrophic snow in C Italy along with a medium earthquake and some heavy falls currently predicted at the weekend in SW Piedmont, but the weekend storm track is uncertain...if the High were to slip W of Britain allowing a Genoa Low to track from SW to NE...clutching at straws! Laughing

Amazing how the lows are avoiding the dolomites this year. But if I remember well, it was the same last year in December-January, but then quite snowy from somewhere in February. Hoping so, cause I'll be there the end of February...
latest report
I can't quite understand given the very low temps why the valley runs in Cortina appear to be the only pistes in the region not to be opened?

Given the amount of snowmaking facilities available it's baffling.

Puzzled
snow report
I suspect Cortina hasn't invested as much in Snowmaking as other resorts actually on the 'Ronda' :: Still living on its past reputation as a 'top' resort...
snow report
albob wrote:
I suspect Cortina hasn't invested as much in Snowmaking as other resorts actually on the 'Ronda' :: Still living on its past reputation as a 'top' resort...

Apparently the South Tyroleans have enjoyed tax concessions from Rome on ski installations as if they were a form of public transport, to keep them sweet. One reason why Cortina wanted to secede from the Veneto and rejoin their former Tyrolean compatriots. snowHead

As it is, Cortina just doesn't get the traffic (and lift-pass revenues) of the Sella Ronda. It's still popular with wealthy older Italians who own holiday places all over town, but they only turn up on high days & holidays leaving it pretty underused most of the season.
snow report
I heard that conditions on the sella ronda are deteriorating. Anyone to confirm (or deny)?
ski holidays
bart_bdv wrote:
I heard that conditions on the sella ronda are deteriorating. Anyone to confirm (or deny)?

Im due in Selva a week today, that is worrying news! Where did you hear this?
snow report
Skied round Ciampinoi, Sellajoch, Piz Sella , Col Rodella and top of Canazei today. The pistes were in very good condition- no real difference from previous years, save that not so many mounds built up during the day. There was a bit of hard pack on the valley run to Selva in the late afternoon, but that's pretty normal. We are all amazed at how, with so little natural snow, they have created such good conditions. Anyone coming out here soon should have a great time. Cold weather is helping preserve the pistes and artificial snow was being pumped out at the Sellajoch today to be spread around the pistes later.
snow conditions
@pjd, all good to hear, esp as the outlook is dry for the next week at least, temps are creeping up from the deep cold of late, probably not enough to spoil conditions if they are continuing to make snow.

There is a huge spike of precipitation at the end of the month/start of Feb showing on this mornings 00Z GFS output, but with little support from the ensemble, so as Noza says on the main weather thread, it's too far out to take seriously at this point, once it gets within 7 day-range and it's still showing with more support, then we could start to get excited!
snow report
...and the 06Z takes it all away again. Sad

http://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_display.php?ext=1&lat=46.49&lon=11.87
latest report
Can I ask. When did the Dolomites last receive any significant natural snow and down to what level?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy