Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and The Espace Killy 2016/17 (Useful links in Post 1).

Poster: A snowHead
The coverage on the webcams loos pretty good, but a lot can change before the weekend when it opens.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
See the Grande Motte cable car is closed for repairs for the whole summer season Confused??

Disappointing - but ski passes are only €25 a day as a result...

Still decent enough skiing - at least when the runs down to the Vanoise Chair are open.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@mountainaddict, All part of a 3 year programme to refurbish the old girl (she's about 40). As they are replacing most of the cables this year it would be a bit tricky to run it Shocked Still the 3500 t bar should get a good work out, it gets you nearly to the top!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
chocksaway wrote:
@mountainaddict, All part of a 3 year programme to refurbish the old girl (she's about 40). As they are replacing most of the cables this year it would be a bit tricky to run it Shocked Still the 3500 t bar should get a good work out, it gets you nearly to the top!

Glad I read that, looks like I will be taking my skis up there and not my snowboard Shocked
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Looks like the Val d'I glacier is only open in the mornings and closes on the 16th July. Has anyone tried this side?

Was thinking of the morning in Val and the afternoon on GM or does GM get too slushy in the afternoons too?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@bar shaker, Normally Val D'Isere Glacier is only open for 3 weeks, it is very limited and you need a car to drive up to the Col, if you happened to be there then it would be a mornings entertainment, nothing more. Tignes Glacier is a little bigger but again a morning is enough unless you are doing ski lessons (or I should probably say summer coaching to please the ski schools!).
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks @chocksaway. I've now looked on the Val website and they are running a bus there from La Daille. We'll have cars so I could drive, but the last day of the mini season is our first morning in the resort. It would be good to do this one morning and GM on another.

We are indeed just looking for some entertainment between bike rides... and rafting, canyoning, paragliding and zipwire snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@bar shaker, Don't forget the via ferrata - if you are brave! Oh and for a more gentle afternoon there is no better place than the lakeside terrace at Lo Terrachu in Tignes Le Lac for lunch and a glass of something cold(400m on the left after the tunnel to VC)
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
just looked at the GM glacier on the webcam, doesnt look great i must say..... has anyone being on it in the last few days?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@chocksaway, The Roc du Toviere Via Ferrata is 30m from our bedroom balcony and I really wanted to do it... until I watched the video. I'm just not good enough with heights for that Crying or Very sad

http://youtube.com/v/MrwzXbo7-kw

A boozy picnic at the lac is definitely on the cards. We are also doing rafting, canyoning and the Val zipwire park. We are taking road bikes too, so will be climbing BSM to Iseran, Seez to the border via La Rox and the reservoir road up to Col de Cenis.

Glad we aren't there this week. There is 40cm of snow forecast at the top stations and heavy rain in the villages until the weekend.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Looking at the webcams today it looks like good snow all the way to the bottom of the Vanoise.

@mountainaddict, If you look at today's 1050 webcam you can see some sort of contraption spinning (?) a new cable on the Cable Car.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Grande Motte is looking a bit dire on the webcams.

Any SitReps?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Has anyone been up on the glacier in the last few days?

In tignes for the mountain biking and leaving tomorrow but considering a morning skiing.

Heard on Saturday that conditions were fairly terrible, one piste and the park open and pass reduced to €15 as it's so bad, but it's been cold and raining in Val claret last night and today and apparently tonight as well so there is supposedly some fresh snow but not sure if it's worth going up!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We were recommended not to go by a local hotelier friend, after some of her guests had been up there. It snowed on Saturday night, but was only a dusting.

TBH, there is so much to do, we ran out of days. Rather than skiing, go canyoning or rafting with H2o (their spelling), or who your accom people recommend. The aerial adventure park in Val is also well worth a visit. I crapped myself on the red zone and didn't try the black. I was the only one of our group to attempt red after the blue zone!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Confirmation that next season will be the Alpaka's last:

http://www.planetski.eu/news/9396

Many a happy night (and the odd lost morning wink )
latest report
Looks like the heatwave has broken, snow at the top of the Col De L'Iseran, I'm sure there is more up the glacier but its too foggy for the webcams!
ski holidays
chocksaway wrote:
Confirmation that next season will be the Alpaka's last:

http://www.planetski.eu/news/9396

Many a happy night (and the odd lost morning wink )

'Leaders and members of the Ski Club of Great Britain - the country's oldest ski club - were regulars at the Alpaka for around 15 years.

The Club's leaders had their dinner in the hotel restaurant and held their social hour for members in the bar.'

How very gracious of the leaders!
ski holidays
Nothing ever stays the same! A regular at the Alpaka for a few years. Has lost something in the last few years and perhaps not the loss it might have been a few years ago. Suspect I will go and see them one last time.
Probably in resort for a snowworks course late Nov. But will not be in Tignes as much as last season.
First time on snowheads for months.
snow report
Mark1863 wrote:
Nothing ever stays the same! A regular at the Alpaka for a few years. Has lost something in the last few years and perhaps not the loss it might have been a few years ago. Suspect I will go and see them one last time.

Agreed, we went in for a night last year (as we thought it was the last season) for old times sakes. We had a cracking night as we met up with friends who live in Tignes and many beers and whiskys were downed in the Hotelplan quiz night - we wandered past (our hotel was opposite the school) a couple of other times and there was next to nobody in sadly.

Friends stayed there about 12 years ago and said the food was great - 7 courses or something each night while we slummed it in a "catered chalet" above the Red Lion.

Makes me all whimsical for the old bars in Tignes - Wobbly Rabbit up in VC anyone? Or the Red Lion near the petrol station? Or Cheffys place (petit pub) up from TCs in Lavachet? Or Crowded House up in VC?

Many lost braincells in these and others.
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
Yep I remember the Wobbly Rabbit, and ? Pub Marilyn, prior to several nights in the Playboy Club where I bought my own bottle of JD to keep behind the bar, worked out the cheapest way to do it! I was a lot younger then.
ski holidays
cheffys place couldn't squeeze more than dozen people in there but had many a good night in there
latest report
@nelly0168, That would be the old Chalet Airelles then! Not much of a place but I do remember a week fully catered with a Glasgow Flight for £190 - and it was this century!

The wobbly rabbit (the original - not the remake that lasted about 6 weeks) was indeed a legend with Charles driving the 'Wobbly Van' - an old transit that would take you back to the chalet on staff night off. It was still in the scrapyard just outside Bourg until 3 years ago.
ski holidays
@chocksaway, interesting piece about the Alpaka and swish new hotel that sounds destined to replace it. Hope it's not going all Courchevel 1850 on us.

Looking at Le Lac webcams, there's development going on to the left of the Toviere gondola and near the Rosset chairlift base, with a couple of big cranes in action. Another two cranes up in the Rosset part of town. Then higher up on Toviere, between the tops of Tommeuses and Tufs chairlifts, another new building going up. A restaurant maybe? Another Folie Douce?!

Tignes coping well with impending Brexit wink
snow report
chocksaway wrote:
@nelly0168, That would be the old Chalet Airelles then! Not much of a place but I do remember a week fully catered with a Glasgow Flight for £190 - and it was this century!.

@chocksaway, well remembered !

Yep, cheap and cheerful it was.

A young guy staying elsewhere asked the staff how much to eat with his friends all week - "a slab of beer" was the answer that convinced us the food wasn't going to amaze us Very Happy .

Re Alpaka, sounds like the new hotel will be huge, a bit like the Taos. Shame in a way, but progress of a sort. Confused
latest report
@nelly0168, Ta! Yes it will be huge. That scruffy bit of land below the 'paka turned out to be a goldmine. Still, I won't miss a hundred drunk seasonaires at closing time passing my bedroom window.
snow report
@intermediate, the cranes next to the Rousset are building luxury chalets.
snow report
From the Tignes webcam they've flattened and rebuilding the restaurant at Toviere. Anyone know what it will be like and/or who operating it?
ski holidays
@bar shaker,
Quote:

the cranes next to the Rousset are building luxury chalets

Perhaps it is going all Courch 1850ish?
@Dr John,
Quote:

they've flattened and rebuilding the restaurant at Toviere

There looks a lot of building to do before the snow comes. Time to send DIY SOS team in?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Seems they have ditched the Pass Tignes. Cannot quite work out from the email and dodgy Tignes site what the new arrangements are. Probably do a Snoworks course late Nov in resort
snow report
@intermediate, the cynical amongst us would say it's already an improvement...

But I've seen the speed these people can get stuff finished off when deadlines loom. I'm guessing it'll be higher end than the last effort, that location of crying out for a quality lunch spot on a protected deck.
latest report
Mark1863 wrote:
Seems they have ditched the Pass Tignes. Cannot quite work out from the email and dodgy Tignes site what the new arrangements are. Probably do a Snoworks course late Nov in resort

I got a couple of emails about that today too, what was unclear to you ?
snow report
@bar shaker, And the new municipal crèche! All part of the same project.

@Dr John, I didn't hear any scuttle about changing hands but it is the same team that own The Alpage/Lo Soli at the top of the Chaudannes which must be 10 years old now so enough to redo the 'pile' at the top of the Tov by now.

@Mark1863, The owners are doing battle with the new system so I hadn't looked at the main site but the Pass Tignes seems to be here:
https://www.skipass-tignes.com/en/tous-tarifs-hiver
with the 5% discount as in previous years.
snow report
@chocksaway, You can't buy new Pass Tignes cards though, only use ones that haven't expired. The email stated that there is a special offer on the card for the ski à la carte system though.
snow conditions
@chocksaway, if they emulate the The Alpage/Lo Soli set-up at tov that would be just perfect. Any other mountain restaurant news? Can l'Edelweiss get any better? Can Restaurant le Bellevarde get any worse? Can La Folie Douce get any more annoying and hilariously overpriced? (haha, only kidding, we all know it can and will)
ski holidays
Tried the website, as usual its a challenge beyond me to find any actual info on it, unless you pictures of sunny skiing etc is what you really want to look at!
Have they replaces pass tignes with something called Tignes Open?
ski holidays
@Dr John, Not that I know of. The Folie may get better at closing time for 18/19 though, as the new Gondola top station will not be part of the building Shocked Shocked Not been to the Edelweiss for some years and there were only 2 reasons to go to the Bellvarde but if I told you what they were the PC police would be after me!!

@snowornever, I think we had a thread on how useless ski resort websites are, Tignes sadly is no exception, I take it you have been to skipass-tignes.com it is marjinally better than tignes.net
latest report
@snowornever, I think we had a thread on how useless ski resort websites are, Tignes sadly is no exception, I take it you have been to skipass-tignes.com it is marjinally better than tignes.net[/quote]

yes, and failed to find anything of actual relevance or help, lots of photos of sunny people with really shiny teeth though! There should be an award, along the lines of the golden raspberry, for the worst ski website....tignes definetly in the running for that
snow report
Re pass site:
I cannot see any ref to a discounted season pass whether it is with Tignes pass or not. I think patience might be a virtue here. Last year was 1078 with my, apparently now useless, Pass Tignes.
Hope the new Toviere place is better than the last one.
@chocksaway,
Time for 17/18 a Tignes thread?
snow report
@Mark1863, How old is your Pass Tignes, they were only valid for three years ?
ski holidays
@Mark1863, Its on the list for next week! Just got to do some link checking.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy