Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and The Espace Killy 2016/17 (Useful links in Post 1).

Poster: A snowHead
@Kenzie, My word sir, I think you are right. Too many Mutzigs Very Happy Very Happy

Looking very wintry on the webcams today.....
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Shame to hear the Alpaka going - had some great nights there and have really fond memories of the place - it's where I first discovered Long Island Ice Teas Toofy Grin
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Kenzie wrote:
chocksaway wrote:
@Old Fartbag, What I can't remember is whether Oscar came before or after Max - both Irish Wolfhounds and both as daft as a brush! I must ask Jill.

Max, then Max AND Oscar, then just Oscar.

First went in the Alpaka back in 1990, pretty sure there was an Irish Wolfhound there all those years ago. Certainly has been in every visit since, last one about 8 years ago. Will have to pop in for lunch when we are in Val in Jan, such a shame, happy memories of there post torchlight descent from top of Toviere while drinking a bottle of wine!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Trying to get my new Pass Tignes. Old one has run out after 3 years. Then I can buy my season pass. In my account on the site but despite selecting En as the language half the instructions are still in Fr. However none of the links actually get you to a screen to buy the card. Tearing my hair out.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Mark1863, There have been a few issues!!!

I managed to buy ours first try last week but nearly everyone else we know has been in the same position as you. They have been slowly managing to get through the system successfully over the last few days.

I have just had an email from the office explaining how to buy our passes so guess they have sorted it out now and emailed everyone. If you don't receive the email let me know and I will pass it on.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Tigski, And so have I! Just need to wait for this months credit card statement date wink
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
No email yet! Thankfully I had some money hanging around on my currency card so pass will not be as expensive as if I purchased on current rates of exchange.
@Tigski, please forward if you would. Thank you.
This is one area where Tignes does seem to struggle on a regular basis.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
No email yet! Thankfully I had some money hanging around on my currency card so pass will not be as expensive as if I purchased on current rates of exchange.
@Tigski, please forward if you would. Thank you.
This is one area where Tignes does seem to struggle on a regular basis.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Mark1863, PM'd
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Before my memories of it.

snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Zooming in on the above you would think it was the cast for Star Trek!

Looks like there was quite a bit of snow yesterday - which appears to be lasting well above 2600m from the Tov webcam. There will be more snow down to village level at the weekend, when it could be a bit stormy. Next week will be showery but it is going to warm up a bit so expect the hillsides to go green up to about 2700m. Thunderstorms willing, the cable car should reopen on Saturday (assuming the works finish on time).
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
From the Webcams it looks like they are running the cannons on the Double M. Is this likely to be for testing or do you think they are trying to get a base down already?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@joydivision, I have just had a look at the weather again for next week, it is a little uncertain at the moment as the low over Iberia can't make its mind up on where it is going. But it is going to warm up quite a bit, with the freezing level at around 3000m so I suspect they may just be testing. However, that slope gets very little sun so they are maybe hoping to catch a bit more snow. A few showers on Sunday will be followed by a reasonable Monday and then thundery showers on Wed and Thu.

Meanwhile I have bought my season pass so excitement is mounting!

The resort have also announced that there will be some new innovations this year:

Firstly there will be 3 new Ski Start Zones (2 of which will be free) dedicated to beginners. Not sure where they are yet but I am sure one will be in Val Claret with the new 'magic carpet' which will be a big improvement.

For those that have not had enough when the lift closes there will be a new 3 km long tobogganing run called Pala'fou which will include a 40m tunnel. It will be €8 a go and which includes the sledge a helmet and a helmet torch - so I suspect its going to be quite a ride.

Finally for those budding 'Woodys' they are installing a videoing system in the Green element of the Grattalu park, which can then be downloaded at the end of the day using your ski pass number. So I suspect You Tune will be filling up even quicker!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My kids are coming back from a week in Tignes today, they've had a fantastic time up on the glacier. Blue skies, chilly and pistes reported to be in great nick up there.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Well STGM have finally sorted out the link to my discounted season and so I can now purchase whooo hooooo
snow report
@Philip1972, Congratulations - you will get used to minor frustrations (well maybe) dealing with the bureaucracy. To be fair STGM did have a good bespoke system which had perfect English all held together by a very friendly bilingual IT fella. But Compagnie des Alpes have obviously centralised IT projects to save money as all their sites seem to be similar, with predictable results.........
snow conditions
Hello,

We're planning our heading out to Tignes again for the season. We have a couple of questions we hope you pros can answer.

1) The Val season pass is 937.50 EUR until 28th October whereas the Tignes season pass is currently 1068.50 EUR. Is there any downside to buying a Val one?

2) We're driving down from the UK and aiming to arrive in resort early afternoon. Would you recommend somewhere to stop and stay overnight en route that's around 5 hours from Tignes and is relatively nice and has secure parking considering the car will be full of our possessions?

Cheers!
latest report
Fly out to Tignes tomorrow. Cant wait!
latest report
@hodgkins, I had just noticed that - it has been claimed in the past that you have to go through a Val gate first to activate a Val Pass and vice versa, others have claimed they have done it without. Not much help I'm afraid. It may be something to do with rates offered to owners, in the past owners in Val got a small discount for a season pass and then there was a court case which deemed that discounts must be available to all (Egalité etc etc). In Tignes owners get a much bigger discount for meeting a set of criteria, which is funded separately.

On the other hand they are both advertising 2 free days in Paradiski and 3V which we were told would not happen this year - so that is good!

As for the drive, your term relatively nice is subjective...... But I am a big fan of the B&B chain, most have secure carparks. I regularly use the one at Troyes, its 2km off the autoroute, next to a big cheap supermarket fuel station and there are a number of chain restaurants within walking distance. Is about 6 hours from Tignes. The Hotel Val Moret is 20 minutes further down the road , has a nice restaurant and is 1 km from the motorway. Its a complex with nice rooms and pools but is quite a bit more per room.
snow report
I think you would have to be very hard core to be up there today - it looks miserable with the snow/rain line somewhere on the glacier. However, tomorrow will see the temps drop a bit so there should be a day of snow showers to a level somewhere just below the bottom of the Vanoise. From Thursday onwards high pressure will dominate, with clear skies and pleasant temperatures. The Jetstream starts heading south by the end of next week when there are tentative signs of late autumn with much cooler temps and some more precipitation.

The official website now shows the cable car reopening on Thursday or Friday, but I'm not sure I would be wanting to work up there today so we will have to wait and see. Very Happy
ski holidays
Looks like the rain turned to snow overnight, the resort are quoting 30cm of fresh snow up there this morning, where they are currently sat in hill fog. But after more showers of snow today, the next few days will be glorious so some excellent skiing for those lucky enough to be up there Very Happy Very Happy , perhaps even a late autumntan on the cards. The chance of a major change towards winter looks to be on the cards from a week to today (ish).

Meanwhile it would appear that Halloween has become a big thing, with a number of spooky goings on at the weekend. Even the pool in the Lagon is going to turn a mysterious blood red Puzzled
snow report
Seems pretty early for Double M to have had snow blown onto it. Is this normal in October? Local knowledge telling them that things are going to get cold and stay cold?🤔🙏🏻
ski holidays
In my post on 21 Oct, I thought it was a bit early but having looked at the archives it was happening this time last year, but not in the balmy (or is that barmy) year of 2014. So they are either testing to a schedule or trying to get a bit of a base for when it snows. As Double M is north facing it gets little sun so it does tend to remain. There is, of course, a financial incentive as when Double M opens the lift tickets go up!
snow report
Looking good on the glacier after fresh snow yesterday

ski holidays
ref blowing snow, latania.co.uk just reported the following, presumably the same reason Tignes used them then!

Snow Cannons FIRE!
S3V announced this afternoon that this is the "pressurization" of the system - this has to be done before it gets too cold and the pipes freeze! It's just air and water - no additives...
ski holidays
I just arrived back last night.
Yesterday had fantastic conditions at LGM. We managed to ski until 2pm when we had to get the transfer to Geneva.
A great few days all in all.
Stayed at the Melezes which was also excellent.
latest report
@davidof, where do you get the static image from for the glacier at Tignes?
ski holidays
Quote:

@davidof, where do you get the static image from for the glacier at Tignes?

maybe @davidof can correct me if I am wrong, but I think he has pulled a screen capture from the Grande Motte webcam feed at http://tignes.roundshot.com/grande-motte/
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:
Snow Cannons FIRE! S3V announced this afternoon that this is the "pressurization" of the system - this has to be done before it gets too cold and the pipes freeze! It's just air and water - no additives...
Can't have been 'additive-free' in Tignes - as piles of snow were appearing under the cannons Smile
snow conditions
@Tigski, @chocksaway,

Pass now sorted. Thanks for advice and help. Let's hope for a decent opening.
Ellis Brigham had incorrectly drilled my Soul 7s. Spyderjon found this out when trying to put quiver killers in. Give EB their due and although skis are 2 years old they replaced with a set of the new version. So retirement, 2 new sets of skis, one I did not have to pay for. On a good run. Let's hope for some Nov snow.
Less than 5 weeks now!
snow report
@Mark1863, 6 weeks for me!
ski holidays
Still 117 days, 1 hrs and 34 mins for me not that I'm counting. Decided to forgo our January jaunt to tignes this year for a week in VT. I really hope I havnt made a mistake. Been 11 years since I skied anywhere else😄😄
snow report
And the cable car has reopened - yippee. 3 weeks today - now where did I leave the snow tyres.....
latest report
@Philip1972,
With the PSB 3/12 to 10/12. Out on my own from 10/12 to 23/12. With a mate over Christmas. Hang around until 7/1. After a ski or a beer let me know.
snow report
@Mark1863, I will give you a shout. Sadly I cant make it for the PSB dates, but I get there on the 10th. Plan is to stay until the 8th Jan then, but may have to pop home for 2 days in the week before Christmas.
snow conditions
I see the Daily Telegraph Property Supplement did an article on 'cheaper corners of big resorts'. Val D'Isere is no so expensive that they are now recommending Les Brevieres as a more affordable alternative. The higher Tignes villages are too purpose built for them evidently Puzzled . So looks like @Philip1972, got in just in time!!

The weather is on the change Very Happy Very Happy , tomorrow and Friday appear to be the last days of autumn, with sunny days and reasonable temperatures. The Jetstream appears to be marching south, Saturday will see snow down to 2400m or so and then the freezing air descends on our little bit of paradise. The next 5 or 6 days will be unsettled and it will be snow all the way down to Les Brevieres for most of the time. Expect the winter wonderland to start emerging Very Happy . The weekend after next will be a little warmer but not enough to melt the stuff from Le Lac and higher.
latest report
Val C cam this morning appears to show the Double M cannons running full tilt. The tennis court fences are down in Lac with only the football pitch fencing to go. The tyres on Toviere are ready to be put in place. All seems to point towards prep for coverage this weekend.
It was also blooming cold in Worcestershire last night.
ski holidays
@chocksaway, Looks like I got lucky!!! The main driver for Brev was that we love the village, but almost as important was that we think Val D is just too big and drawn out. La Daille had some great apartments, but the traditional feel of Brev won out for us.

I shall look forward to my flats value going up rolling eyes
snow conditions
@Mark1863, I live in Worcestershire too! And yes, it was a tad on the chilly side.
ski holidays
@chocksaway, You got a link to that Telegraph report, or a date so i can google it?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy