Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and The Espace Killy 2016/17 (Useful links in Post 1).

Poster: A snowHead
@chocksaway,
Quote:

@GeorgeVII, That's because you can't see the invisible windsock, its only available to local tax payers

Not sure of the correct terminology but I had spotted the "spindrifts?" curling off the ridges so I'd figured it was a tad breezy rolling eyes .
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@chocksaway, thanks for directing me here, group of us coming over to Les brevieres on the 29th, which is fast approaching!! Surely there will be something substantial before then, won't there? Puzzled if there wasn't then would it be that bad, would conditions stay as they are now?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Gnipgnop, I am expecting quite a bit of snow before then. You will see I rarely contribute in with the Weather Thread as I wouldn't know one end of those wigglie things from another. But I spent 30 years flying, interpreting professional forecasters forecasts, which is what I do for this thread, so I have a healthy scepticism of long range forecasts. I also try and relate it to recent days, ie it is going to be cooler, hotter - not its going to be - 7 degs with 10km of wind as that is meaningless. Also forecasting amounts of snow is notoriously difficult so you will find me saying a bit, some or a lot.

That said we are expecting quite a few days of a bit and one or two of some, so that is the good news. They are also making snow at a furious pace to keep the slopes down there in reasonable nick. It must be costing a fortune, but at least we have plenty of water up here, unlike some resorts where rationing can't be far off.

At the moment any intermediates in your team would have to download in the bubble to be on the safe side, but after great days skiing above 2000m I don't see anything wrong in that.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@chocksaway, and half of them in the Weather Thread don't even ski or know what it's like to be in a mountain environment rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@chocksaway, nicely put... well I will be looking out for your updates over the next few weeks and hoping for the best, thanks very much
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Weathercam wrote:
@chocksaway, and half of them in the Weather Thread don't even ski or know what it's like to be in a mountain environment rolling eyes

Toofy Grin Laughing Seen 3 seasons in one morning in Les Arcs and none were forecast. Mountains are beautiful but weird things.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks @chocksaway, we arrived from Grenoble this morning without incident but lots of freezing rain as you said. We may take advantage of the facilities at the swimming pool if Friday turns out to be as it is looking. Maybe catch you for a drink if we shuffle out of Val Claret one evening! Have a good week.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Weathercam, Burn him he's a witch (to slightly misquote M. Python) wink

@lynnecha, Just let me know, Friday evening would be good for an RV you know where.......
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sitting in Geneva now with a three day industry meeting about to start. Coming up to Boisses on Thursday evening for a 4 day Mountainsun weekend. Having followed the course of the drought on here for weeks it looks like we are going to get the "challenging" conditions when it breaks. What's that line about the worst day on the mountain being better than the best day in the office? Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Bogusman, You will definitely need goggles and looking at the wind we may all be coming down to join you in Boisses!

Another day of blue skies and sunshine, if a little chilly with the sharp breeze at altitude. I had a charge round the pistes of Tignes today, they were mostly quite hard requiring decent edges. However, the snow on Leisse was beautiful, the moguls at the bottom less so. We also seem to have had an invasion of students from Durham over the weekend.

The weather forecasts for the week continue to fluctuate wildly, each run of the models throws up a different set of conditions and forecast snow amounts, but it looks a bit more positive on the snow side today. Anyway, with yesterday's warning about changes ringing in my ears here goes:

The cloud will thicken overnight and through the morning and we should see some snow starting at around lunchtime, the winds will pick up through the afternoon and it will be bitterly cold, just watch out for the links closing and expect whiteout conditions from mid afternoon onwards, expect somewhere in the range of 5-15cm of snow. Wednesday looks like a day of sunny periods and a strong breeze, and there will be a bit more snow overnight. Thursday will start OK with sunny periods but the cloud will thicken through the day and the winds will pick up ahead of the storm on Friday. On Friday there will be a lot of fast moving showers of snow, we will see the sun occasionally, but on Friday and Saturday we are currently expecting significant snowfall, it would appear winter is arriving at last!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@chocksaway, with that positive end to your last post, you've put a smile on face at the end of a windy rainy afternoon (working outside) in East Sussex... keep it comin!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
So we arrive on Saturday.

I am seeing various forecasts for up to 40cm on Thursday and Friday and the ever-optimistic Snow Forecast is also predicting a 56cm downfall on Sunday. My advanced off-piste lesson on Monday should be a bit of fun. Toofy Grin

On a serious note, I am beginning to worry that I'll be skiing in a snow cloud for most of the week...
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
All change! There was very light snow fluttering past the window as the curtains were drawn back this morning and a light dusting across the pistes. It continued to snow on and off through the day, and there was the occasional brief glimpse of the sun until about 3pm. So the light was not that bad and the new snow made the pistes a little more user friendly. I would say we have had 3 or 4 cm so far. We covered most of Tignes and Val D'Isere today, on pistes that were not so crowded for some reason..... The best snow was probably at Le Fornet on the glacier, we still downloaded on the Solaise Gondola though, from where you could hear the dreaded scraping noises from below as people skated in random directions.

The light snow will continue until sometime this evening when the skies will start to clear. Tomorrow will be the best day remaining this week, effectively sunny periods sums it up, the wind should also drop. There should still be another dusting of snow after dark. Thrusday will start with sunny periods, but the cloud will start to thicken and we are expecting snow in the afternoon, the wind will also start picking up from sometime around 'Happy Hour'. Friday still looks quite wild, fast moving snow showers with a glimpse of the sun, there will also be a marked drop in temperature, so it will feel glacial even down amongst the trees. The following 3 days appear to offer snow showers on and off. I know everyone is desperate to know how much snow, the algorithms driving the various apps seem to be producing wildly varying random numbers, so I will stick my finger in the air and say between 30 and 60cm between now and Monday depending on where the capricious weather elves drive the most active parts of the weather fronts.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Astraeus, Hopefully, I answered most of your questions, from Tuesday next week we should be seeing the sun on quite a regular basis, but I would advise bringing your finest Swaledale long johns (not sure which riding you are from).
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@chocksaway, brilliant summary.

Cannot wait. Base Layer, base layer, mid-layer, fleece, jacket...ski. These conditions are right up my street.
ski holidays
@chocksaway, Lady G7th is convinced it's going to be SNOWMAGEDDON on Saturday rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes
latest report
@GeorgeVII, Mr W's pork pie delivery would seem to be less than 100% guaranteed then........... wink
latest report
@chocksaway, One things for sure..... whatever happens....IT WILL ALL BE MY FAULT! Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
@chocksaway, [quote]
Mr W's pork pie delivery would seem to be less than 100% guaranteed then...........

Critical cargo on board and deadlines to make. No pressure then
latest report
@chocksaway, lucky that father Christmas brought me some shiny new Oakleys then Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
[quote="GeorgeVII"]@chocksaway,
Quote:

Mr W's pork pie delivery would seem to be less than 100% guaranteed then...........

Critical cargo on board and deadlines to make. No pressure then

I have arranged for a snowplough to meet you at Albertville and guide you safely and promptly up the mountain. If the snow fall is excessive at Albertville you can stop off at SAF helicopters and they will deliver whilst you spend a day or two in a school gym somewhere Very Happy
snow conditions
Looks like I could be having an interesting drive up from GVA on Saturday morning then Shocked

Looking at the forecast, I've planned to piut shelves up in the cave on Saturday afternoon. I have already told Mrs Shaker that this is my plan and the minute the weather breaks, she will not see me for a day. It's looking likely that that day will be Monday... which is her birthday.

I can see this ending in tears, most likely mine.
snow report
WOW!. What a day, we had clear blue skies and above 2400m about 15cm of new powder. Regular readers will know that I do not use that term lightly, but because of the relatively light winds yesterday and the low temperatures (-10 deg C) it was really powder snow (not tourist office/tour op/ski school definition of powder for marketing). This is quite rare up here in Tignes, maybe 2 or 3 times a season. You could bang your ski pole into it and it would just fill in the temporary hole you had made. There were times when you hit the crust underneath, jarring bits of the body, but just fabulous.

So it was not a bad choice of day for an off piste adventure with Evo 2! After a quick warm up and safety briefing from Jean we started with the side entrance to the Chardonnet Bowl to allow Jean to assess the group. After that we negotiated Couloir du Lac du Chardonnet to practice on the steep. It was then the Chardonnet Bowl from the top, the entrance was a little tricky, 15cm was not enough to cover the old moguls, but once we were in - heaven. So much so we did it again - the hike in takes your breath away and uses up a number of calories. So after that we were all ready for lunch in Le Lac. Following lunch it was la deuxieme of Les Trois Murs, again a little thin at the top, but once in fresh tracks for all. Because 15cm is not enough to cover the areas previously uncovered we had to take a high exit before a skate down on piste into Brevieres. From the eye of the needle we skied down the front, a little thin here, and finally La Combe de Militaires again boot deep powder.

On a more cautionary note the avalanche risk is rising to 3 tomorrow, we did see one on the Lavachet Wall, so please be careful or use an instructor/guide and ensure you are armed with the kit (and I don't mean a camera on a stick)!

The sky is now obscured by cloud and we may get a dusting this evening. Tomorrow morning will be a tease, the sun may be visible as it rises over the peaks, but it will cloud over through the morning. The wind will also pick up, like it did today, but hopefully not until late in the afternoon below the level of the glaciers. Light snow should commence after lunch and it will get heavier as the evening goes on and the wind will start to howl after dinner.

Friday will be a whiteout with moderate to heavy snow all day and winds in Val Centre and Tignes gusting to 80 kph, it will be a day for the hardy, I expect the links to be closed and only the lower slopes to be open. With the wind chill it will be barkingly cold. Saturday will be more of fast moving sunny spells and light snowfalls in between, for those arriving by car the amounts of snow will be well within the capabilities of the snow ploughs, but as it is so cold the roads will remain white and chains will be a must for those without winter tyres. Sunday will be similar but the winds will be lighter. After that its all a bit unpredictable, but next week is looking frigid, so much so that if you have a diesel vehicle I would not park it in an outdoor carpark, the mercury could easily plunge to -20 deg C overnight .
latest report
@stewart woodward, Your concern has been duly noted Laughing Laughing Laughing I nipped into the butchers today to order the merchandise.

@bar shaker, Man after my own heart wink . You can always take the other half round to the Grand Marnier Bar when playtime is over. That should ease the pain Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
As @chocksaway, states, yesterday was a magical day. A new layer of snow everywhere with more than sufficient to give some excellent off piste.
The new snow made the previously skied off piste easy but you still had to watch out for the occasional rock waiting to catch you out.

Hopefully this morning will be clear and bright before the anticipated storm tonight Puzzled
snow conditions
GeorgeVII wrote:
You can always take the other half round to the Grand Marnier Bar when playtime is over. That should ease the pain Laughing Laughing

This is a new one on me George, where's that?

At the moment I have a gastro tour of Val planned for her. Lodge, Baraque and L'Atelier d'Edmond are all booked for this trip, but she is a bit partial to Grand Marnier!

That's all provided I'm not stuck in a tree well above La Daille Very Happy
latest report
Just checked the forecasts. Looks like being an epic powder weekend with the worst of the weather over by Friday night.

We may even get down the Vallee Perdu this weekend.
ski holidays
@bar shaker, seeing the same and hoping for the best. Bluebirds over powder.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@bar shaker, seeing the same and hoping for the best. Bluebirds over powder.
ski holidays
@bar shaker, La Creperie au Grand Marnier. I think the address is Place des Dolomites. It's just off the snow front in the centre of Val. Check it out on trip advisor. Cool Cool Cool
latest report
Well there is going to be a lot of fresh snow, but it is going to arrive sideways so its not likely to be powder other than in the gullies, but then the avalanche risks will have to be studied closely.

Today was not bad, in the morning there was enough light through the breaks in the cloudto grab a bit of the untracked around Familial. There were some really interesting cloud formations as the weather approached from the west - dark and foreboding springs to mind! The winds aloft were also strong meaning there was little action on either of the glaciers. After lunch the light started to go quickly and the winds started to affect the slopes around the resort level. So by 3pm it was time for a cuppa. In the last hour or so the wind has picked up dramatically and it is now snowing moderately - it has begun!

The intensity of the snowfall will pick up over the next couple of hours, the most significant falls are going to be overnight so expect to be woken early in the morning by the pisteurs as they start throwing explosives around to make it safe. It will continue to snow lightly or moderately throughout tomorrow but the wind will be the overriding problem. I expect few lifts to be open in the morning because of the wind and we will have to wait until the slopes have been declared safe. Be patient the snow won't go away!! The winds and snow will continue into Saturday but we will see sunny periods and light snow showers in the afternoon, so expect transfer out times to come forward. Coming up the hill in the afternoon should not be too bad, snow tyres or chains will probably be required. Sunday looks more benign with sunny periods and lightish winds but the temperatures will be glacial. These low temperatures continue through the early part of next week. Monday and Tuesday look to both be days of sunny spells and snow showers. The nights will be bone chillingly cold!
ski holidays
Just back from the pub! About 6 inches so far, blowing a gale and currently quite mild - jeans quite damp (and no I'm not that old wink )

One thing's for sure its going to be tricky in the morning.
latest report
Hey Snowheads,

I am trying to plan for a season in 2017/2018 and have been trying to decide on where in Europe to go. Aside from decent snow conditions, large skiable terrain, close proximity to the ski lifts and a decent apre ski, I aint asking for much NehNeh

Just wanted to pick anyone’s brains about your experience doing a season in the Espace Killys region and which resort you would recommend?

Workwise I was thinking a work-for-board cleaning in a hostel would be good ideal as you would do it in the mornings and then go skiing and have nights free and it would be super social (does such a thing exist?)

I don’t have to do the Alps, japan is always an option but I will be in Ireland in Oct/Nov so made sense.

Thanks for an tips/info guys
Very Happy
snow conditions
Loads of new snow overnight and still snowing Very Happy Approx 40cm in the village

Tomorrow is the first real Saturday transfer day of the season and it looks like it could be chaos rolling eyes Very Happy
snow report
stewart woodward wrote:
Loads of new snow overnight and still snowing Very Happy Approx 40cm in the village

Tomorrow is the first real Saturday transfer day of the season and it looks like it could be chaos rolling eyes Very Happy

Feel for those transferring, we drove back from Tignes on the Sunday last year after a similar night of snow - wouldn't have made it if we didn't have a 4x4.

On the bright side, our group arrives a week on Sunday, so this dump and the forecast low temps next week should keep pistes in good nick.

Might even get the traditional 1st morning beer down in breviere which looked in doubt a couple of weeks ago snowHead
ski holidays
Currently -17C & 115KPH winds at the top of Toviere.
Opening of lifts has been delayed rolling eyes

@nelly0168, no need to worry about the pistes or access to Breviere all in great nick.
snow report
Tichot has just opened - best of luck if you are out there!

Still very gusty winds, official resort snowfall is 25 cm, but lots more in many places - including my balcony Shocked
ski holidays
Sideways snowfall. Dreadful visibility. Howling gale. Managed to get around the loop of the Sache bubble a couple of times before cowardice got the better of us. Now holed up in the Loop Bar. The sky seems to be clearing a bit so we'll get back out after a fortifying Loop Burger.
ski holidays
Hi Snowheads
heading to Tignes Les Boisses in a week's time, looking some advice on lift passes. Beginner skier questions - bear with me Puzzled
Should I buy passes on line and then can I pick them up in resort?
Would I need lift passes for the first day of lessons? Just looking to spend time on blue runs
Thanks for any advice Very Happy
snow report
@CosmoJo, it depends on exactly how "beginner" you are. The fact that you plan to be on blue runs suggests you are not a total novice in which case you will need a pass from the get go. There are some free lifts in both Lac and Val Claret but these are really suited to absolute beginners. Where will your classes be starting?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy