Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and The Espace Killy 2016/17 (Useful links in Post 1).

Poster: A snowHead
Another day on sun blessed pistes in Tignes and Val D'Isere. The crowds were certainly out this morning and I had promised to take some friends to Le Fornet. To avoid the madness of Val Centre in the hols we took the bus along to Laisinant, where there was no queue at all. The pistes at Le Fornet were quite busy, especially up on the glacier. On the way home some of the steeper pistes are getting har now, although bost resorts have been using the cannons to make it a bot better. Both Rhone Alpes and Trolles were really quite slick.

There may be a few clouds kicking about tonight but they will clear by morning to leave another beautiful day. We may see a few bubbly clouds on the peaks after lunch. Wednesday will be a day of blue skies the temperatures will also rise a couple of degrees, maybe one less layer. Thursday will be essentially the same though the winds will pick up in the afternoon ahead of an unsettled day of fast moving sunny periods and snow showers down to well below resort level.. The detail on this weather system is still unsure, we will have to wait and see until we are a little closer.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Coming out for 2 weeks from sat. Just trying to buy a 13 day pass online, can't seem to do it. I've already got my passes from last year. Any ideas?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Timg60 wrote:
Coming out for 2 weeks from sat. Just trying to buy a 13 day pass online, can't seem to do it. I've already got my passes from last year. Any ideas?

Did you try here?

http://www.valdisere.ski/en/forfait-ski/13-jours-espace-killy-795/?s=2017-02-21&sk%5B0%5D%5Bage%5D=43
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yeah it's the same price as the 13 day tignes side pass but you get a discount with your 3 year card from tignes. Looking at their website for a 13 day pass you have to do in resort so they can get a photo. But you don't get the pass tignes discount in resort only online.... Mad
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Timg60, Do you have a Pass Tignes card already or just old standard passes ?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Pass tignes.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Timg60, Just renew them online then, you don't need another photo. The website worked fine for my one back in November.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Timg60, Have you logged into your account? It would appear you can only buy up to 12 days from the home page. I have just logged in and it is offering 15 days. Its normally email address and password.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Well there was a bit more cloud about today than was forecast. The cloud overnight never really burnt away and the gaps filled in mostly by lunchtime. There was also a cheeky wind around as well so the combination of the warm temperatures and the wind meant the snow was in good condition early on, but it soon became soft leading to a few piles of snow that were catching the beginners out. There were a few ice pellets (you couldn't call it snow) zipping about for a while. We spent most of the morning aping La Daille as that's where the queues weren't! There was a large queue at Tommeusses to get back to Tignes at lunchtime, luckily its an 8 man so makes short work of the crowds. It would be even better if people filled all the chairs up, this week has been bad for lift faffing.......

The cloud should break up tonight to leave a sunny day tomorrow, with a few clouds around the peaks. However, it will be a bit warmer and the wind will be stronger, so expect high lifts to be shut, especially in the afternoon and the pistes will be soft. There won't even be a hard freeze overnight as the freezing level will remains at about 2500m through the night. Thursday will be a couple of degrees warmer still and the wind will remain. There may be a lull in the morning, don't get caught out! The plan for Friday is firming up, wind cloud and snow down to below Les Brevieres. It will feel a lot colder, one more day of winter for sure. As for how much there is still a deal of disagreement between the forecasts. But, probably, not a lot. But the snow will stop as everyone is returning their rental skis leaving a pleasant day on Saturday for the transfers.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
chocksaway wrote:
@Timg60, Have you logged into your account? It would appear you can only buy up to 12 days from the home page. I have just logged in and it is offering 15 days. Its normally email address and password.

I thought so but am doing on a mobile so think that's being a bit special. Will have a look on the computer later.
Thank you
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@chocksaway, which high lifts are normally prone to closure from the wind? presume the Motte cable car and the Pissaillas lifts will be the first to shut?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@franga, As ever with the weather its not simple! As wind speed, direction and lift capability have to be taken into account. But usually the GM Cable car is first to go, followed by the Vallon Cable Car in Le Fornet. Access to the glacier can be maintained via the Col Poma. You also have to watch out for the la Daille bubble, first indications are they ban pedestrians so they don't get stuck at the FD! Its then likely to be Vanoise and the 'up and over'. Beyond that you are probably struggling to stand up!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks! Lovely morning on good piste snow today ... but bliney it was busy in the Bellevarde sector this PM! Went to see the Val snow show tonight, great spectacle. EK is very special indeed.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
As I sit in air conditioned splendour at Geneva (popping home to check the post!) I can see from the webcams it is another fab day, if a little windy on high. Tomorrow will be identical, if a degree warmer with a little less wind. Be sure you get up the Grande Motte tomorrow if you have not already made it this week, as you wont be able to see anything on Friday! The cloud and the wind will build over Thursday night to leave a whiteout with light to moderate snow all day. Saturday looks like another sunny day, with light winds and a bit cooler than today. Spring will be back in force on Sunday the temperatures will be similar to today. The early bird will get the worm on Saturday morning, after the pisteurs have finished blasting. Next week looks very unsettled........
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
As I sit here (in God's Own County) waiting for 'Doris' to come knocking on the door I can see through the wonders of the interpipes that you are having a great day out in resort. Enjoy it, because tomorrow will be nothing to write home about! The clouds will thicken through the evening and it should start snowing around midnight, it will also be very windy overnight at altitude, so expect the shutters to rattle. Tomorrow will be cloudy and the snow will reduce in intensity to light snow in the morning. The sky will be overcast all day, with the wind and around 5-7cm of new snow expect a progressive opening of the lifts as the pisteurs get to work. It will feel very cold compared with today. Normal service is resumed on Saturday, a sunny day with light winds at height (no snowmageddon on the roads). the warmth will return with a vengeance on Sunday, but there will be a thin veil of cloud obscuring the sun, the cloud should break up a bit in the afternoon. Monday will be one of sunny periods and light winds and a few fluffy clouds on the peaks. The weather changes dramatically into Tuesday, there will be 2 days of fast moving and potentially heavy snow showers. It will be windy throughout - head for the trees! The unsettled weather will then continue. We now come to that eternal question, the apps are generating big numbers (quelle surprise!). But a conservative mid estimate would be 30-40cm over the week. As ever, the apps will be wildly out and so might I!!!!
snow conditions
@chocksaway, Did I mention that we'd put our snow order in again. Back out on the 4th of March and fingers still crossed ref my torn calf muscle continuing to heal. rolling eyes
snow report
As @chocksaway forecast the wind increased during the afternoon and cloud cover has increased. No snow flurries just yet but hopefully by morning time we should have a covering Puzzled

Tonight was the ESF/Club de sport ski show celebrating 30 years of Freestyle. Lots of great ariels by 'ordinary' ski instructors and CdS kids.

After the ski show a torch lit descent was held, down trolls, in remembrance of the 4 victims of last weeks avalanche.
latest report
Winters back Very Happy

Slight amount of snow overnight and still snowing lightly. Looks cold & windy Puzzled 2 extra layers and warm gloves today Confused
ski holidays
stewart woodward wrote:
Winters back Very Happy

Slight amount of snow overnight and still snowing lightly. Looks cold & windy Puzzled 2 extra layers and warm gloves today Confused

Fantastic. Sunshine for Sunday please.. snowHead
ski holidays
Well after a fascinating day cleaning a flat in the UK I am glad there was some new snow, although it did look like a day for the hardy. But I see just a hint of light sneaking through the clouds on the webcams in the late afternoon. The cloud will disappear through the night and the wind will diminish to leave a bright sunny day for all those lucky enough not to be travelling tomorrow. It will feel like spring again. Sunday will be even warmer, with just a few fluffy clouds around the peaks. Monday morning will be sunny but snow showers will build through the afternoon, initially the rain snow level will be 2000m or so, but this will soon drop to well below the resort. Tuesday and Wednesday - hang on to your hats its going to be a wild one, with high winds and heavy fast moving snow showers with a hint of sun in between, before it calms down on Thursday. As for the amount of snow - see yesterday, I'm sticking to my first punt!

For those travelling tomorrow, its a good job its a nice day. The forecast is for 32000 cars going down the hill (2 grand more than last week) and 37000 coming up, there is nothing for it - its going to be busy. Leave tonight or before 7am in the morning to miss the biggest queues. For the inbounds it will be a case of grin and bear it from early in the day. For those flying, fine over at the Alpine side and wet and windy in the UK. With the exception of Leeds Bradford before 11am, there should be few problems with the wind. At LBA there might be a bit of lurking around to allow a shower to pass. But wherever you are landing, when the cabin crew say fasten your seatbelts tightly, they will mean it tomorrow!!

@GeorgeVII, Excellent, oh and re calf 'Man Up' wink
latest report
What a funny old day Puzzled

Woke up to a dusting of snow and further snow showers forecast.
Up the mountain it was blowing a gale at times and very light winds at other times.
Sunshine came in between cloudy periods.
It was warm out of the wind.
Currently it snowing, which wasn't forecast Puzzled

Just a typical Tignes day Very Happy
snow report
A few changes afoot with the weather, tomorrow will be nice to start with, like spring. But the sun will be obscured by high cloud for parts of the morning and afternoon, at other times there will just be clouds on the peaks. Monday will start with sunny periods but the skies will soon cloud over and the wind ill pick up from mid morning, keep an eye out for the high lifts. Tuesday will be very, very windy and snowy, expect to be no higher than the tree line if you are lucky. Wednesday, the snow should stop by breakfast time but it will still be windy. There is more snow just to the north so this will change. Beyond that sunny spells.

For the air travellers tomorrow, it will be wet windy and bumpy across the UK and fine around the Alpine airports, so few worries!
ski holidays
chocksaway wrote:
With the exception of Leeds Bradford before 11am, there should be few problems with the wind.

Speak for yourself old chum
ski holidays
Hi everyone, I've been a long time lurker on here, but this is my first post, so be nice! Smile

I'm off to Tignes next Sunday for 1 week, staying in Les Brev. I have group lessons booked in for 5 days in the morning with Evo2, but I am looking for advice on some nice and easy blue slopes as this is only my second week skiing. I did a week in Meribel Mottaret last year, but weather was atrocious with poor visibility so I was too nervous to do much. I managed most of the green runs I did okay and a couple of easy blues. Since then I've done a few hours on an indoor slope and that is it.

I've also heard the green area between Tignes and Val is very good, are there any must ski slopes up there?

Thanks all and sorry if someone has already asked this, I can't find it in the massive amount of posts!

Jay (very anxious 2nd time skiier)
ski holidays
By booking ski school you have already made the right decision and created yourself a great platform to enjoy this fabulous ski area.
I suggest you ask your instructor for afternoon ski routes as there are many greens and blues to explore..
if you get the chance try and ski the Borsat and Grand Pre areas of Val..probably well within your capabilities after a few days instruction?.Aim to get to the Borsat lift ..the gateway to the Grand Pre bowl with your instructor or ask him to leave you in a suitable location to start your afternoon ski.... downloading in the bubble from the top of Toviere is recommended ..

Have a great holiday

Cheers

Mike
latest report
Looking like a week of sunny days Very Happy and snowy days Very Happy with over 50 cm forecast during the week.

A good top up will keep us going until Easter Very Happy
ski holidays
Awesome!! I'll be there (well, in Val) two weeks today, cannot WAIT!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
jayg wrote:

I've also heard the green area between Tignes and Val is very good, are there any must ski slopes up there?
)

Yes. Lovely area to get confidence up. Ski all of it not just one run. You will need to get the toviere bubble back down as the Trolls run is a steepish black, but very easy to get bubble back down.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The other great confidence builder is the palafour run right next to the Maison de tignes
snow conditions
@Dr John, Very Happy

Tomorrow should, essentially, be a nice day. The cloud amounts will vary but there will be plenty of sunny spells. However, after the lifts shut the cloud will thicken and by midnight the wind will be howling. Shortly afterwards the snow will start and continue through Tuesday which will be a whiteout, snow, wind and cooler temperatures. A day for the trees or the pool! The snowline will be below the lowest parts of the resort. The wind and cloud will continue through Wednesday and currently the forecasts suggest it will be snowing lightly. Another day when the pisteurs will be busy with their early morning calls. Thursday can be neatly summed up as 3 seasons in one day, meaning anything could happen. There will be more detail as time moves on!
ski holidays
A bright clear morning with some high level clouds. Hopefully the start of tomorrows snow storm?

@chocksaway have a good journey back and prepare yourself for a day on the sofa tomorrow Puzzled
ski holidays
@stewart woodward, Thank you, I am currently in the lounge at Sir Geoffrey Boycott International, where it was a bit draughty last night. The big orange taxy is on its way, so fingers crossed.

Well from midnight it is going t be a wild week. The sky will gradually become completely overcast and the snow will start around midnight. The wind will be very strong and will blow hard for 3 days, it is going to be a busy week for the pisteurs. It is going to snow all day Tuesday and the wind will be so gusty there is a chance of getting blown over in the villages. I expect the links between the resorts will be closed, and a late start for all the lifts. It will be a day for the low runs if you are lucky. The wind will be a little less gale like of Wednesday and there will be snow showers and brief sunny spells through the day. It looks like light snow will continue to around midday on Thursday when the sun will return, the wind will still be a problem. There will be a respite on Friday, the best day of the week with sunny periods and fluffy clouds, it will also be a lot warmer and the breezes will be light. It all goes down hill again on Saturday with high winds and snow; however, the snowline (which will have been below resort level for the week) will be quite high, about 1900m in the morning, dropping a little later, it could be an interesting transfer day!! As for the amount of snowfall, lets leave it at a lot by the weekend!
ski holidays
Back for 3 weeks in April starting on April Fools. Hope it all holds out and I am not one of those. Given current depths and forecast not much doubt it will. Better organised next year as this season has cost me more than I banked on. Redundancy came too late. Probably look to rent somewhere for the winter of 2017/8
Is it confirmed that this is the Alpaka's last season? Some doubt when I was last in resort.
ski holidays
@Mark1863, Still working on that one, but there is definite rumours of a reprieve.

Now if Carlsberg did ski transfers:

Woke up, walked from Travelodge to LBA during a break in the rain.
No-one in security queue.
Lady in Premier Lounge appeared with a fresh tray of bacon butties as I walked through the door.
Inbound flight early.
Left 5 mins early
3 seats to myself.
Arrived early.
First off plane and at passport control.
Got on Altibus (25 min wait) to find 2 tables at the back - extra legroom seats!
Arrived in Tignes 10 minutes early.

If only it was like this every time!!!!

And now its the calm before the storm - just time to pop to the Jambar (for a spot of drinking on the forecast!)
snow report
@chocksaway, & Stewart W. We will see you on Saturday. It doesn't sound as though our arrival time is guaranteed by any means. rolling eyes
snow report
Snowing Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
@stewart woodward, Laughing Laughing Laughing

Checked the webcams this morning (as usual Embarassed ) to be greeted by a vista of blue skies and sunshine. I thought for a moment that Chockers had finally got one wrong. Came back with a fresh brew only to realise that the cameras hadn't "refreshed".

Suddenly looking very cloudy and SNOWING!!!!!!!
ski holidays
well managed from 9-1.30 today. The wife is knackered after me trying to teach her how to ski in these conditions. She did really well 5 runs down the gratulla to get her legs in then a birthday hot chocolate with some rum for her and 5 runs down the double m. It is her birthday so let her finish there. Very Happy
Looks like a week of it so enjoy the fresh snow and great piste conditions. I'm off for a crepe after a walk across the lake for pancake day Toofy Grin
snow report
PS its chucking it down Very Happy
ski holidays
@Timg60, Fair play! A day for the diehards.....

It started snowing in the middle of the night and has continued at varying intensities since. It was windy overnight but not quite as bad as forecast during the day, although they did put a shou out for everyone to get back to their own valley this afternoon. The exposed lifts stayed closed all day. There was a lot of hardy souls out there this morning, but the flow of riders definitely ebbed after lunch. The snow was wet at 2100m, none has settled on my balcony so I expect it was very hard work. But if we wait we will be rewarded with great snow on high. But please note the avalanche risk has risen to 3, as the forecaster said "Its winter".

Tomorrow will be similar to today, there will be some more heavy showers overnight, these will ease off after breakfast. Unfortunately the winds will still be a problem. However, the sun may peak through in the afternoon for a very short while. It will continue snowing through Thursday morning, the afternoon should be better with some sunny periods, there will still be gusty winds up at the top. These winds will remain on Friday, but the air will be quite warm in the sunny periods. This is likely to mean that the snow off piste will settle very quickly, I am afraid I can't promise a powder day for all. Saturday is going to be a real mixed bag, sunny periods, rain to 2000m and snow above during the day. The timing of the weather fronts is all a bit imprecise, prepare for at least 3 seasons in a day and have a packed lunch if you are travelling!

Just looked out of the window, the World has disappeared in a very heavy shower. Take care folks!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy