Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and The Espace Killy 2016/17 (Useful links in Post 1).

Poster: A snowHead
@michaelbury17, But maybe not. it would appear that, thanks to planning issues the Alpaka will be back in all its glory next season Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wall to wall sunshine all day, it must be nearly summer. There was a hard frost last night though, so the pistes were hard first thing and one or two that hadn't been pisted were a real test for the fillings! It was a day for off piste tpday, so we set off for Le Fornet, via Laisinant. The pisteurs have rerouted Table D'Orientation which has made that notorious red run just about skiable. There was some great snow in Pays Desert, all aspect dependant off course. The same also applied to Cugnai, a real mixed bag.

The weather tomorrow will now be just like today, the front has delayed a bit. It will start to cloud over after the lifts close and the wind will also pick up. the computer models still can't agree for Saturday, in fact they have reversed their forecasts of yesterday, just to increase the confusion. Lets just say it will be cloudy and it will be windy (high lifts closed and maybe the links). There could be light precipitation all day with a snowline of 2200m or so during daylight, on the other hand, it might not rain/snow at all! Sunday looks like being cloudy and windy, the sun may peak fro behind the clouds in the afternoon. Monday will be super warm with sunny periods, and then it looks showery on Tuesday and Wednesday, with a snowline of 2200m o so during the day dropping to 1800m or so at night.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Happy St Patrick's Day, but the Green flags will have to go in the morning, as once again Tignes raises the Rainbow Flag to welcome European Snow Pride for the week.

The sun was out for most of the day, Mont Blanc did pop his hat on for a while and there is a bit of haze about now but a nice day for spring skiing despite the cooling breeze at altitude. As the sun worked its magic on the slopes we shot up Col de Ves for some nice chalky snow off piste, some slopes never see the sun up there so it lasts the longest. A trip up the Palet Drag led us to some spring snow, the off piste areas have still not flattened out completely so the odd bump or two. The bumps off Grand Huit followed, again nice spring like snow. Having moved to Lognan the snow was just perfect as we glided down, so perfect in fact we did it again. The pistes in between were a little hard first thing but have mogulled up in busier areas this afternoon, but they will all be bashed into submission again tonight.

The wind will pick up through the night and the air temperature will drop a good 5 degrees, so combined with the cloud which will become overcast it will feel a lot colder tomorrow, definitely another layer. I expect high lifts to be closed and just keep an eye on the links. There may (or may not!) be a few light showers late afternoon with a snowline around 2200m.Order will be restored on Sunday, with sun in the morning and a few fluffy clouds on the peaks in the afternoon, the winds should have died down before lift opening. Monday - one word - scorchio! Break out the t shirts and Factor 50. Tuesday will start with sunny periods and then there may be some light showers in the afternoon and evening, the snowline will start at 2100m and drop to 1400m after dark. After that it is unsettled, one or two of the apps are getting very excitable at the moment, its too early to be precise, but the latter half of the week will see sun, showers of rain and snow, a real mixed bag.

For the travellers, the roads will be busy going down the hill, with 27000 vehicles leaving the Tarentaise, so before 8 or after 12 would be a good plan. With the 23000 arriving there will be jams but much smaller than of late, so a few less folks on the pistes next week. After a wild night in the UK the weather will be fine before any of you are "rolling down the runway, throttles open wide" and over here there is a chance of a light shower or two at the French airports, nothing to hinder flying so far. Despite the cloud it will feel very spring like down there, don't panic there is plenty of snow for all up here.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The various snow forecast websites have snow most of this coming week and a lot the following week. We arrive the 25th. Appreciate the updates from those in Tignes.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
blacksheep wrote:
The various snow forecast websites have snow most of this coming week and a lot the following week. We arrive the 25th. Appreciate the updates from those in Tignes.

Currently snowing Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@blacksheep, The charts are a bit chaotic at the moment, so I would ignore any forecasts beyond 4 days. The amount of snow forecast in the next week by one site has halved since yesterday and will probably double tomorrow!

Today was not the pleasantest of days, there were blue patches early on but these soon closed up and the light was not great by lift opening time. There was a sharp wind at altitude, propelling bits of ice around. It was a piste cruising day with some mates today, so we set off for Les Brevieres, the pistes down there are soft but still complete. After a coffee we emerged to find out it was drizzling, luckily we didn't have to climb much in the Gondola to find snow. More trees were required so down to La Daille where it was snowing, if a bit damp in the air.

The light snow will continue until late this evening, the clouds will then progressively clear through Sunday morning, the winds will also drop, leaving us with a warm and sunny afternoon. Monday will see wall to wall sunshine and light breezes, leaving us with (in order) hard pistes, great pistes, soft pistes, beer on terrace. Tuesday will be similar with a few fluffy clouds on the peaks. Beyond this it is all a bit unpredicatable but Wednesday looks like it will be showery with sun in between with a snow level of 2200-2600m in the showers. Thursday is currently forecast to be similar, but expect this to change, the atmosphere is in one of its chaotic moods.

It will be windy over most of the UK tomorrow, so a bumpy take off and landing is likely for some, nothing to stop a flight though. No snags over here, but don't be too alarmed if you land at Geneva and feel a bit warm, they are forecasting temperatures of 17 degs C by mid afternoon, spring is in full flow down there, but not up here!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
A day in the gym today, but might pop out on the skins later. There has been a thin layer of cloud for most of the day which started to break up mid afternoon but it is warm and the snow is soft. The rain last night did not help matters either so I imagine there was a real mixed bag of conditions out there.

Tomorrow will be 4 degs or so warmer than today with light winds, there may be a little bit of high level cloud about. So by mid morning it will be hot and the snow will be soft. Tuesday morning will be like today, a thin veil of cloud and warm. There may be a light snow shower in the afternoon down to 1500m. Wednesday looks like being a bit cooler with sunny periods, again there may be a shower or two late afternoon. Thursday and Friday will see a series of short sharp showers, the snowline may be as high as 2400m in the morning, dropping down to 1900m by late afternoons.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I was looking at the webcams earlier. How fantastic does this look with the sky.....

ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mmmmm, it would appear that the Espace Killy sHs have been suffering similarly. Like Steve A, I had to retire to the bedroom for a day, now back on form so I think I got off lightly compared with him.

Well you can tell spring has arrived, the pisteurs were shaking the village last night after the lifts closed, triggering avalanches around Trolles with all the heavy wet snow that is developing rapidly in the heat of the day. Today started with blue skies and it has progressively clouded over since lunchtime as a front approaches from the north.

As for the outlook, its a mess. The Atlantic charts are complex as a number of fronts wander one way and then the other across the Alps over the next view days, so pinning the weather down is going to be tricky, but here goes. The cloud will thicken tonight and there may be a few light showers overnight with a snowline around 2000m. Tomorrow will be a real mixed bag, we will start with sunny periods and then light showers will develop in the afternoon, if we are lucky we may not get one at all as the snowline will be at 2400m. The wind will also pick up during the afternoon, perhaps closing the high lifts. The winds will increase on Thursday (according to some projections, but not others) and it will be overcast in the morning and light snow down to 1800m in the afternoon. Friday is currently forecast to be windy and snowy (down to 1800m again) but I would not bet my shirt on that forecast,, things are going to change!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@chocksaway, the EK Lurgy is doing its rounds. A fair few of the Tignes seasonnaires have been struck down with it and two of our group got it the night before travelling back - and the 4-and-a-half hour journey to Chambery in a coach with no toilet was not the ideal transfer!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@chocksaway, mmmnn.... you were noted as AWOL yesterday wink .

Let me know if you want me to post some Bisto out to you wink
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@chocksaway, & @moosepig, I bet the pharmacy on the Rue de la Poste have had to take extra security measures to get the takings home
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@GeorgeVII, As a Yorkshireman I would have to be on death's door before I went in there! Just plenty of water.

The mythical EK lurgy, not so sure and not in my case. But inevitably with a lot of people in close proximity, many of them tired, having drunk too much and not taking too much care of nutrition, combined with bars where the hygiene is not what it might be can be a toxic mix.

Just been entertained by the pisteurs and lefties doing a chairlift rescue practice on the new Almes Chair, saved putting the telly on during dinner.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
chocksaway wrote:
@GeorgeVII, As a Yorkshireman I would have to be on death's door before I went in there! Just plenty of water

Water, germoline & butter cup syrup, what else do you need Wink
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@stewart woodward,
Quote:

Water, germoline & butter cup syrup, what else do you need

A rhubarb poultice strapped to your chest........job done
wink
ski holidays
chocksaway wrote:
@GeorgeVII, As a Yorkshireman I would have to be on death's door before I went in there! Just plenty of water.

The mythical EK lurgy, not so sure and not in my case. But inevitably with a lot of people in close proximity, many of them tired, having drunk too much and not taking too much care of nutrition, combined with bars where the hygiene is not what it might be can be a toxic mix.

Just been entertained by the pisteurs and lefties doing a chairlift rescue practice on the new Almes Chair, saved putting the telly on during dinner.

A saving on wear & tear on the telly AND on electric! Very Happy
ski holidays
@Kenzie, Aye and to get a better view I turned the lights off as well.

"In my day we 'ad it tuff......."
snow report
@chocksaway, thought I'd pop in here to see what was 'appening upp North and interesting to read how they're bombing suspect slopes up your way.

That's been happening down Sarf here in Serre last couple of days (with a heli today) as being much lower we've had some crazy warm temps and not too much in the way of a substantial freeze overnight.

Looks like things are changing as we have a low coming our way (Retour d'Est) with colder temps and substantial snow falls down in the Queyras (check out Abries ) so road trip beckons and they close the resorts down there Sunday!

Be safe !!
snow report
@Weathercam, Its a mixed bag all right, lots of precipitation around here over the next few days but actually pinning it down is tricky, not that that has stopped snow-lies forecasting a dumpathon.

Today was a day of contrasts, this afternoon Bourg St Maurice was very spring like at 16 degs, the number of lycra louts on road bikes matched by the number of crocuses cheering the place up. Meanwhile at the top of the Grand Motte this morning it was still very much late winter. There was a lot of cloud about this morning in different layers, there was much changing of eyewear tints and above 2800m there was a stiff breeze to contend with. Lower down the pistes were soft from the opening whistle, on Leisse there was a cm of fresh snow on top of frozen slush, eeek. The cloud has lifted a little now but there is still the odd flocon going past the window.

Yesterday's caveats still apply, the weather situation over the next few days is going to be a bit chaotic, certainly unpredictable and occasionally maybe a bit wild (sounds like an ex!). Once more some of our apps are getting very carried away with the amounts of snow forecast, if the amount of snow they are giving is translated into rain, some of the lower parts of the 3 Vallees will have been washed away. That said, if we had had the snow that some had forecast I would be skiing directly onto the piste from my balcony - on the 5th floor! So, here goes, the flocons currently wafting past the window will stop by late evening and the sky will remain overcast through tomorrow. The wind will pick up through the day, so like today it will feel chilly on high. The high lifts may well close, the links perhaps, keep an eye on the signage. Friday currently looks windy with fast moving showers, the links may not open at all (but the isobars are fickle things), the snow level will be around 1900m, so you will be faced with the conundrum of skiing in snow in bad vis or sleet amongst the trees (or going to the pub?). Saturday will be similar, but the initial snow level will be about 2300m before dropping in the afternoon to 1900m then 1600m. At a guess the most snow will be over Saturday evening. Sunday will be cooler and currently it looks like a day of light showers and sunny periods, this trend may well continue for a couple of days after that........
snow conditions
Light snow at the Folie this afternoon and still snowing lightly on and off in La Daille.

From Grande Motte we could see CBs forming so fingers crossed.

Out for birthday celebrations in Baraque tonight, so it won't be an early start for us, no matter what we get tonight.
ski holidays
Just did a balcony check... it's the wet side of sleet but coming down steadily now.

Let's hope the temps fall.
snow report
I've been keeping an eye on this rather large dump supposedly happening Saturday night, snow-forecast (yes I know better than to believe them) has had it down for ~40 cms all this week and not changed. I know invariably the number decreases heavily as it gets closer. Whats the word on the street?
latest report
Well there was a bit of snow last night, the emphasis being on the bit. If the other day was a box of chocolates today must have been a bag of liquorice allsorts! The light was up and down, the cloud was all over the place in the swift south-easterly that closed some of the lifts, we had snow flurries and the occasional blast of hail. As for the snow that ranged from ice, to hard pack, to slush, to glue, oh and there were a couple of turns in a gully with light fresh stuff. We skied just about all over Tignes and Val D'Isere and it was pretty much all the same everywhere.

Now the weather fronts are still wandering around like a bunch of itinerant singers over the next 3 days, so just like the snow today expect the unexpected! Tomorrow now looks like today, grey snowy and windy. The wind may pick up another level, so don't be surprised if more lifts are closed, then again......The snow level will be around 1800m rising to 2000m later. The precipitation should stop by the evening. Saturday should also be windy and through the day there will be occasional light showers of snow down to 2000m. As for Saturday night - snowy. Its coming from the east, so Le Fornet will get more than Tignes, who in turn will get more than Les Arcs, La Plagne etc. It is notoriously difficult to predict how far the weather makes it over the ridge from Italy. Personally, I don't see the numbers quoted on the apps, lets settle for 40cm in the east and about 25cm in the west of the 2 resorts, but I could be wildly out. But for Sunday the plan will be to ignore the advice of the Pet Shop Boys and Go East! Sunday should be much more benign, cloudy in the morning and sunny periods in the afternoon. After that, I give up! But just a word of warning on avalanches, through the next few nights there is going to be little or no refreezing which is leading to a significant rehumidifcation of the snow off piste, so spring style avalanches could happen a lot earlier than one would normally expect - stay safe.
snow conditions
Today was like yesterday, but not much of the snow, just a few flakes of snow now and again, and a bit of drizzle in Val D'Isere. So it was very much a day of a bit of fresh air and a very long coffee stop in La Daille. The pistes were, in general, soft and not very busy for some reason! The winds did indeed shut the exposed lifts, especially in the glaciers.

Its all change again with the weather, except we will get snow high up tomorrow. The clouds will drift apart this evening to allow the stars to peep through, but then the wind will pick up and after a chance of a glimpse of the sun over breakfast the precipitation will start mid morning. The snowline will be around 2000m so all the villages are going to be damp and dreary, the wind may shut the highest lifts, so somewhere in between there will be a sandwich of opportunity, of fresh snow, not too much wind, sadly you will be barely able to see the pistes. How much rain/snow we get is still in the lap of the God's, the eastern end of our particular paradise will get more though. The snow and wind will vanish in the early hours of Sunday, leaving a relatively nice day of sunny periods. After a breezy night Monday will be similar but a good few degrees warmer. After that it looks like high pressure is set to dominate, giving blue skies, sunshine, light winds and very warm days (and less headaches for weather forecasters!!).

If you are popping to and fro tomorrow, the forecast is for 23000 vehicles to come up the Tarentaise Valley and 22000 going down. This will lead to some light traffic jams at peak times. Of course there mat well be heavy rain to contend with. For flying, the UK looks misty with a slim chance of fog at Leeds and Birmingham. Over here Genevaand Chambery look good. At Lyon and Grenoble there is a similar slim chance of fog in the morning and then heavy showers in the afternoon, so the odd delay can't be ruled out.
ski holidays
@chocksaway, just re-packing, more t-shirts, factor 50 and out go the extra warm thermals! Cant wait, never been this late before, but not stressing, just to be in the mountains, Thanks for up dates through the season too
Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
yeah I echo what @Kiters is saying @chocksaway. Just finishing my packing now for a week there. A nice dump of fresh snow and some sunny days would do me fine!
snow conditions
The night time dustings have delivered some good fresh soft snow on west facing slope sides. The strong winds have scoured some east faces but all pistes have good cover.

It's still warm and the best skiing is in the mornings... which is what I am just off to do snowHead
snow conditions
Variable! (but it did follow yesterday's forecast. Having skied with a mate who is here for 3 days, I was out for much longer that I normally would be on a day like today! There was periods of good light, poor light, high wind, snow drizzle and everything in between. So a lot of the times we traded better snow for better conditions and lapped La Daille this morning, followed by Boisses and Brev this afternoon. There was a short break in the weather around 3pm when we hit the top of the funiculaire, where it was blowing a gale. It has now just started honking down with snow, looking at the radar it is going to be intense for a while. Tomorrow morning, might just be OK!

The heavy snow will continue until late this evening, it will gradually ease off until it stops around breakfast time, the wind will all but disappear. The cloud will thin through the morning leaving sunny periods. Expect to be woken early in the morning (just what we need with the clocks springing forward!) as the pisteurs rearrange the snow into an eye pleasing fashion. If the heavy snow continues expect a progressive opening. It will be quite cool though. This will be corrected on Monday as the sun comes out and the temperature rises by 4 degs. A few fluffy clouds will build on the ridges in the afternoon. Tuesday will be a repeat of Monday, one or two of the afternoon clouds may give a light shower. Sun all day for Wednesday and Thursday.

It will be a good day for flying tomorrow - just a bit bumpy around the London airports. Meanwhile up here we will be stealing all the freshtracks!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Loads of snow overnight Very Happy Very Happy Looks like about 40 cm on the poubelles and still snowing lightly.

Not sure about freezing level. Last night it was raining in Tignes 1800 at 20.00hrs, hopefully the freezing level dropped a little Puzzled
snow report
There was snow a long way down the mountain as we travelled down by coach for our flight home... Enjoy my snow Wink
latest report
Very excited to see it has snowed - and looking at the weather it looks like it might snow next Saturday when we are driving to VDI. Just wondering if you can solve a disagreement between me and Mr SK --- we have 4x4 with winter tyres - we have chains but have not practiced fitting them - he says with winter tyres no need for chains and we won't be made to put them on - we just have them in the boot as insurance ...... I say we should practice!? Any thoughts very welcome....
Thank you
snow conditions
very much doubt you will need chains, but what harm is there in practicing? Better learn here than if you should need them in a blizzard.
snow report
@Skikitten1972, what 4x4 do you have?

Honestly.. in our old car Mazda CX-7 with Nokian winter tyres and more recently Range Rover Sport with Pirelli winters.. there was absolutely no need for chains. I was out in Val / Tignes when all that snow came end Feb till 6th March etc.. I drove up to collect friends from Tignes so they could get over to Val in huge storm and the car was incredible. Police stopped me at the dam and waved me on.

I've always carried the chains and never used them. In dozens of trips and lots of snow over the years. This time of year very unlikely the road will even stay covered for very long.

Just my 2 cents..
ski holidays
@Skikitten1972, I have 4x4 with summer tyres and never had a problem.
snow report
@stewart woodward, If you hire a 4x4 out of Geneva they will not give you chains. Hired a 4x4 Skoda Yeti in January out of Geneva and conditons were awful several times when we drove, no issue. Hired a car with summer tyres out of Chambery in March, not 4x4, useless.
latest report
The snow gods blessed us last night, with 30-40cm in the village and about 60cm at altitude, Tignes and Val D'isere were transformed overnight! However, with the wind and the heavy snow the avalanche risk was increased to 4 locally and we could soon see why - avalanches everywhere. Most of the snow fell after the bashers had gone to bed, leading too some interesting pistes. the starting pistol was fired at 10 so off we went armed for a big day. Even off the side of the piste the snow was deep but dense, not surprising given the temperatures and the wind really. So unless it was steep you ground to a halt quickly. We tired numerous pitches round the Palet sector including Lognan which was just bout skiable. I did remark that I needed a snowboard, well one on each foot might have made the difference. As the funi opened around lunchtime I was hoping for softer snow up there, no such look. Bumping into groups of mates we all tried to find the elusive soft to no avail. We did pop over Fresse to Val D'Isere but it was covered in thick cloud so back to Tignes! The cloud finally conquered the whole of the resort and the light degraded so enough was enough. The pistes are now a mass of moguls; however, tomorrow they will be fantastic, DoubleM, the only way down from the Grande Motte looked like Carnage Corner!

Tomorrow will be gloriously sunny after a few early clouds dissipate, a couple of degrees warmer with a light breeze to ruffle the flags. The avalanche risk remains at 4, expect to see a number of natural avalanches as the day warms up. Tuesday will start sunny with a few fluffy clouds building up over the afternoon. Wednesday to Friday morning - sun and warm temperatures will prevail, the weather may well break after that giving some more showers.
snow conditions
@chocksaway, yes a very interesting first day skiing, the legs are certainly feeling the effects of too much exceleration in the deep stuff!! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Thank you for the tyre answers very helpful - we have an Audi Q7. We were caught in snowmaggedon in 2015 in an A6 with winter tyres and didn't need our chains - but I have just read a couple of times on here that chains have been compulsory from the dam and did not fancy looking like Brit morons in a blizzard trying to put them on the aire du chainage!!
snow conditions
I am no expert at all, but just by going on what I have read on here, I think they have made it compulsory at times to put chains on. I don't think it happens many times in one season, but it does happen.
ski holidays
Should be back on the weekend for a few weeks. Not well but I think it is just tiredness from doing a bit too much in Austria. Happy to ski with anyone. Is the off piste as dangerous as I think it may well be? Worth hiring a guide?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy