Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Three Valleys 2016/2017: Méribel, Courchevel, Val Thorens, Les Menuires, La Tania, St Martin

Poster: A snowHead
5RED wrote:
Conditions are very good on piste. Now I just wish they would open Jerusalem, which they say is closed due to lack of snow!

It is worth bearing in mind that although there has been a lot of snow in the last few days we are effectively at 'mid December' in terms of actual snowpack, and prior to this last fall there was very little on things like jerusalem. It is also more beneficial for them to let this current snow settle nturally than piste too quickly as this would simply pull up stones etc from underneath...
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@offpisteskiing, I do understand this, though it's a little frustrating when 3V are heavily promoting their 'perfect pistes' right now. Of course I selfishly want to ski my favourite run in the Alps!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hope it's open by 29th Jan when we get there!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Snowing little flocons now in St. Martin.

@rob.m, I'm sure it will be Very Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
As usual this place makes me giddy, love it and the excitment when the snow arrives like this. Just booked for a sneaky few days Tuesday & Wednesday. Hope I've made the right decision conditions wise Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Webcams showing snowfall at the Bouc Blanc above La Tania right now. Smile
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Spent the day playing along the Meribel valley and Mont Vallon. Still very cold but great conditions on piste. Minus 17 at first lift in st Martin de Belleville.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Anybody know if they are still pumping the snow guns?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Basically no. Saw 2 cannons running on a low narrow access piste in Meribel late afternoon. Didn't experience any newly made snow that I noticed
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
It all tentatively seems to be coming together for a great week for us piste skiers next week - warming up, plenty of sun, blue skies, great snow conditions Smile

Now if they could just find it in themselves to open up those last few remaining pistes, particularly Jerusalem, then it might just end up being a perfect week!!

Could I be any more excited!!

On the off chance, anyone else on this thread going to be in Chalet Reberty in Les Menuires next week?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Merihell looking better after the recent snowfall.

snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ian66 - not chalet reberty - but very close!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@ian66, apparently still not enough snow for Jerusalem. Evil or Very Mad

Hope you have better luck.

On the plus side most things open if a little thin in places of high traffic or no snow making.

Getting a little icy on lower runs though (below around 1600 m)
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
hi guys, spent the last 2 days in the courchevel valley and have to say the snow conditions have been great and in some places close to outstanding. Bright sunshine and clear blue sky has only added to the fun. Only drawback has been the very cold temperatures which is a small sacrifice to pay.

As a side note got to give credit to the people that work in the 3 valleys, there was thick snow down to the valley floor yet all the roads where open and traffic running freely on Monday up the mountain.

Anyone travelling this week is in for a treat.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Whitegold Is that a webcam?
ski holidays
Is there much touring that can be done at the moment? Trying to work out which skis to bring.
snow conditions
Had an email from a friend in St Martin at the moment.

"....There are still a lot of runs not open. From top of smb2 the runs to the left are all closed including Jerusalem, the black from Olympic the runs to raffort, most in meribel low down by golf closed.
Even up in Val t the blacks are closed and lots of warnings not to go off piste.
Whilst it snowed there is no base so as soon as you stand on it, it compresses to nothing and rocks are just ' covered up'.
A German instructor was off piste by Jerusalem on Monday had accident hit a rock and broken his back in 3 places and is paralysed waist down.
Warmed up slightly now only -5. No snow in forecast looking grim for 1/2 term!!!..."
snow report
CourchGal wrote:
@Whitegold Is that a webcam?

Yes, it's the one in Meribel Village, it can be found one the Meribel website, I always think it's a good indication of low down snow cover, having said that it's always one of the last runs to close in the season as it provides access to that base.
ski holidays
@CourchGal, looks like the webcam at meribel village
latest report
noisey wrote:
Had an email from a friend in St Martin at the moment.

"....There are still a lot of runs not open. From top of smb2 the runs to the left are all closed including Jerusalem, the black from Olympic the runs to raffort, most in meribel low down by golf closed.
Even up in Val t the blacks are closed and lots of warnings not to go off piste.
Whilst it snowed there is no base so as soon as you stand on it, it compresses to nothing and rocks are just ' covered up'.
A German instructor was off piste by Jerusalem on Monday had accident hit a rock and broken his back in 3 places and is paralysed waist down.
Warmed up slightly now only -5. No snow in forecast looking grim for 1/2 term!!!..."

Did he sign off saying "must go now, I have a half empty glass of vin chaud to drink"?
snow report
Quote:

looking grim for 1/2 term!!!

Half term is over 3 weeks away!!!!!!!!
snow report
And for us in the North East of England half term is four weeks away. maybe his half term is next week?
ski holidays
Valid point
snow report
Is that pic at the bottom of the Golf run/lift?
latest report
Charliegolf wrote:

Yes
snow report
Aren't the schools in France permanently on half term? Very Happy
snow report
stevew wrote:
Charliegolf wrote:

Yes

Cheers.
snow conditions
Quote:

No snow in forecast looking grim for 1/2 term!!!..."

Errr? HT is 3 weeks away for London / Southern England and 4 weeks away for the North.

Too far out to call.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Interesting that Jerusalem is still closed. We were there last week and skied that side on the Wednesday. There were plenty of people who went down it, including two of our party. They said it was very stony at the bottom. I'd have thought that the snow over last Friday and the weekend would have been enough to open it but, to be fair, you could see sat on the SMB2 chair that there was very little snow on the sunny slopes.
snow report
@franga,
Half term is totally messed up this year.

Son in Edinburgh has half term in 3 weeks from 10 - 20 Feb as does a lot of Scottish schools ( friend at another Edinburgh school has the following week though )
Daughter in York, so North England has the following week 17 - 27 Feb.
Can't track it with a radar like the forecast!

But fingers crossed the snow is good for the full 2 weeks as I'm heading out of both weeks Smile
snow report
I get to Meribel tomorrow for the first time, will be staying there for a week.

Any tips to a newcomer like me? Where is the best place to ski in current conditions? Any must visit bars or restaurants? Any tourist traps to avoid? Thanks in advance.
latest report
Are you a newcomer just to the resort or a newcomer to skiing? Best places to ski will depend to some on extent on you and your party's ability level Very Happy

I love Le Rastro for lunch and also for early apres drinks

http://lerastro.com/
snow conditions
If you are intermediate or above, just get to VT. Too many lovely pistes to mention. Christine, Variant, La Médaille stand out for me.

Great restaurant due lunch right at the foot of the piste in St. Martin.

And I'm boring enough to love Meribel die a few pints of craft beer as you walk off Le Chaudanne.
snow conditions
*for*!!!
snow conditions
Just back from an excellent week in Meribel, while there are some runs still closed the piste conditions up high were fantastic everywhere we went.

Meribel and to a lesser extent Mottaret are a bit scraped below mid station level and the green run into La Tania was worse (the blue was fine though and the red is shut from halfway down).

Lots of stones and brown patches in Courchevel 1650 below Bel Air, although the snow was still in nice condition.

We didn't make it all the way down to St Martin last week so I can't really comment on that.

As I said the piste conditions up high were almost without exception great. All of VT and Les Menuires were superb, the runs into resort there were the best I've seen them. Above mid station on both sides of Meribel and Mottaret excellent and the same goes for the Courchevel villages and La Tania too.

Basically avoid the lower resort centres and it's pretty hard to go wrong for piste skiing in the 3 Valleys at the moment Smile
snow report
19/03/2017-25/03/2017 5 needed for 3 Vallees ski pass
snow report
Here's a quick question for the 3 Valleys regulars: We'll be staying in Ste Foy in March but hope this year to drive round for a day in the 3 Valleys (it looks as if its about an hour's drive, weather & traffic permitting of course) but whats the easiest/quickest way in - should we park at St Martin and work our way up to VT on ski, drive straight to VT or perhaps park up in Meribel or Mottaret to start the day right in the middle? We've ski-ed the 3V before but never driven in, so I was wondering how easy it is to find parking and at what cost? How high to drive will clearly be very dependant on how much snow has fallen prior to our trip, I guess.
ski holidays
Sorry, I realise that I should probably have posted that in the Resort Reviews forum, but there seems to be more discussion of 3V here...
snow report
@Loganberry, I absolutely would not go to the Belleville valley. Slow road and limits your ways home. The shortest drive is to Brides-Les-Bains but you need to be on the last lift home by (I think) 5.15pm in March. Personally, I'd dump your car in the Meribel Chaudanne car park. Only 20-25 mins further than BLB but you can get back there from the last lift almost anywhere in the 3V's, even VT (via a terminally dull Blue path and Green bunny run wink ). Gives you a wide choice of on-hill après if that appeals.

If the roads/resort are quiet, there is also a free car park through the tunnel in Meribel Mottaret very close to the Plattieres lift. That's an excellent place to be and where I drive to at the end of season when the LT lift is closed. It's 2 lifts to VT and a simple ski back from anywhere.
snow report
@Raceplate - thank you very much for the information, esp about slow roads in the Belleville valley. I would prefer to start from Meribel or Mottaret if we can get there in good time as you're straight into the thick of it then (and as you kindly point out, easier at the end of the day). Brides les Bains is a good tip though - do you know how long the Olympe gondola takes to get up to Meribel vs the drive?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy