Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Three Valleys 2016/2017: Méribel, Courchevel, Val Thorens, Les Menuires, La Tania, St Martin

Poster: A snowHead
Could everyone stay off until say a week Saturday.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A bit longer than that please. I'll be hitting the pistes on the 24th. More snow, fewer piste users, s'il vous plais.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Avalanche on (closed) Combe de Saulire, scary stuff

http://www.latania.co.uk/blog/2017/03/08/the-reason-the-saulire-area-was-closed-all-day-today/

Stay safe out there Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
is that the drop off M to Saluire. Quite steep. I would be very cautious anywhere in that area that's closed until re-opened.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It's from the courchevel couloirs - from sous pylones, under the cable car towards Emile allais etc
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
sorry should have looked properly its come down on to the saluire piste. should help snow depths - I only jone as no suggestion anybody was involved. Whenever I've been in courchevel after heavy snow the top lifts have been closed for blasting.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
They started avi blasting at 4am yesterday in the Belleville Valley and the road between Moutiers and Les Menuires was closed for an hour and then again for another hour from Les Menuires to VT whilst they made all the small villages/hamlets safe along that road. Whole house shook with each blast.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Conditions were wonderful in Courchevel 1850 this morning, clouded over this afternoon. The next two days are being billed locally as possibly two of the best of the season. Sunshine, blue skies and perfect pistes. snowHead snowHead snowHead
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
That would make sense as to why the 10.3am opening of saulire 2 never took place...

Still had a great days skiing. Courch had incredible pistes from 1850 down to 1550 which were completely empty. Then played around in la Tania whilst the sun was out before joining every man and their dog on pic blue back down into meribel. Because the saulire link was closed, everyone who'd rushed over to courch was coming back at the same time on a narrow blue which had gotten impressively mogully. Was complete chaos.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
From Facebook yesterday:

"We had a pretty relaxed day skinning Creux Noir (lift shut all day) until we saw this guy get mowed down by a massive avalanche over the valley. Triggered under the Aguille du Fruit at 2450m, NNW. It ran maybe 500m and fanned out 200m wide. Fortunately we found him quickly and uncovered his face, it still took 20 minutes to dig him out and half an hour for anyone else (security and helicopter) to show up. He was shaken and bruised, but unharmed. ABS bag helped him I'm sure. Watch out up there..."
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
and check out these 2 nutters (also posted on facebook)

ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kitenski wrote:
and check out these 2 nutters (also posted on facebook)

They should send this photo to those American fumble poo-poo creationists to explain in simple terms Darwin's thinking.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
OMG!!! What were they thinking?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Currently in La Tania for the forthcoming week.
Wall to wall sunshine forecast all week.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
franga wrote:

All the loose snow had already slid away. They were fine to ski.
snow report
Start/middle of the week conditions were generally fantastic, but the heat definitely was having a huge effect on the snow by Friday, almost melting in front of my eyes!

Think we got very fortunate choosing the week that we did, the area definitely will need more snow in the very near future if these temps keep up
snow report
Bennisboy wrote:
Spoiler
Start/middle of the week conditions were generally fantastic, but the heat definitely was having a huge effect on the snow by Friday, almost melting in front of my eyes!

Think we got very fortunate choosing the week that we did, the area definitely will need more snow in the very near future if these temps keep up

Which area of the 3 valleys are you referring to? O0
ski holidays
Spent a week in the three valleys in Mottaret. The few runs that I did down to resort level in the afternoon were starting to get pretty slushy, particularly Doron down into Meribel. That was a mess by about 3pm on the Friday.

Apart from that though the snow and weather were great. Definitely spring snow conditions so icy in the morning, great skiing for a period and then getting a bit soft/slushy depending on how far down you are.

And went over to VT on the Thursday and the snow was still fantastic everywhere.
ski holidays
Fly out on Saturday. Looking like there could be some more snow next Sunday/Monday. Are there any local reports to this effect?

Also, how are things holding up. Not too bothered about the off piste if the pistes are in good nick. Ta!
snowHead
snow report
Whitegold wrote:
franga wrote:

All the loose snow had already slid away. They were fine to ski.

Utter garbage, what about all the exposed rocks below them? Whose to say the slope wouldn't suddenly go given EVERYTHING around it already had done so, especially with warming temps.
snow report
bamberd wrote:
... Also, how are things holding up. Not too bothered about the off piste if the pistes are in good nick. Ta! snowHead

Returned at the weekend. Despite the massive dumps in the early part of last week there was probably less cover around by the end of the week that at the beginning. Strong winds accompanying the snowfall meant that in exposed places much of the new stuff ended up off piste / in inaccessible places, leaving hardpack. And then high temperatures thinned out many places.

Don't think overnight temperatures were low enough for making artificial (or they were conserving water).

VT and higher parts of other places still in very good condition. Pistes are still fully covered almost everywhere. But lower down, later in the day, things are getting very cut up - and a few bare patches starting to show - although these get covered up again when pisted.
ski holidays
Gorgeous day today, it's like April. Snow in VT was great but busy. Elsewhere was was quiet. Soft and slushy in Meribel.
latest report
As @Dr Rock, says! It's like April. Very slushy at resort level. VT holding up well. Lovely snow to be found in the Belleville valley.
latest report
Some good cold snow to be found in the meribel valley if you go looking too:

Maybe its the culture shock after a week in the Maurienne, but it seemed very busy today - had a snowboarder almost on my tails on the first warm-up run and most pistes we used to get around felt similarly busy...
ski holidays
Another lovely day. Courchevel had better snow than Meribel today.

snow report
@Dr Rock, ooh I don't know... some great spring snow to be had in the head of the Meribel valley:

Spot the skiers: @Sharkymark and gang exiting the South face of the Aiguille du Fruit:

Feels more like 14 April than 14 March at the moment - we have gone from being a month behind schedule to a month ahead of schedule in the space of 1 week!
snow conditions
So yeah, how is it holding up? Especially in Val Thorens? Will there be any snow left at saturday evening? Is it all slush and mud and green/brown spots?
ski holidays
kitenski wrote:

Today we saw a blood wagon to the left of the lower person in the pic and a number of rescuers either roping the blood wagon from where the top person is, or picking their way across the rocks with the wagon. The patch of snow in the middle of the pic has some big cracks in it...

Snow probably the best in VT today. Hazy cloud took the burn off the sun, but the snow is melting and turning to sugary snow every day. Hopefully I'll make it to the end of the week Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dr Rock wrote:

Snow probably the best in VT today. Hazy cloud took the burn off the sun, but the snow is melting and turning to sugary snow every day. Hopefully I'll make it to the end of the week Toofy Grin

Doesnt sound too good!? Even in VT?
snow report
@staffsan, it's called spring skiing, it happens every spring. It's highly likely to get colder and snow again, and also highly likely to get nice and sunny and warm.
latest report
Toured most of the three valleys in last three days.

Off piste is pretty much a non starter. Although if you are very proficient and have local knowledge, you could probably seek out some lines even if not that enjoyable.
On piste is a different matter. Although typical freeze thaw conditions, there is enjoyable skiing to be had. Only seen two runs officially closed due to lack of snow cover.
Certainly far from a disaster if you are coming in the next week or so. Skiing to all low resorts still possible as of today. And above 1500 full piste coverage on pretty much
all pistes.
snow report
@Mick8417, not wishing to be argumentative, but regarding the offpiste i would refer to my posts from Mon & Tues this week - there is lots of good, fun snow to ski off piste if you know where (and when) to look... Classic spring conditions, but smooth spring snow that has just cooked enough and not too much is like skiing on velvet!
latest report
@Mick8417, surely the off piste would be lovely spring snow???
ski holidays
Quite a lot of precipitation next week for 3v, but also high freezing levels! Does freezing level above given point automatically mean rain/wet snow?
latest report
@staffsan, the rain/snow limit is usually a bit below the freezing point.

So, for next Tuesday MeteoFrance is giving the 0 degree isotherm at 2700m at midday, but the rain/snow limit at 2400m. Which suggests that yes, it is likely to get a bit claggy throughout the 3V area (this forecast for Val Thorens).

However, read page 1 of the excellent weather outlook thread, started by @nozawaonsen.

I'd have confidence in the forecasts for today and tomorrow, and see a broad trend for warmth and precipitation to follow. But I wouldn't have too much confidence in the fine detail of the forecast that far out.
latest report
I really need to master uploading photos... Embarassed

But if you would like to see the off piste conditions from a ski touring day Stephen did yesterday in Courchevel then have a look at the photos on this Facebook post https://www.facebook.com/primesnowsports/posts/1888509844771525
latest report
Been skiing in the 3v for 5 days now. Lovely piste conditions off the top of saltire, in val thrones and les masses area. Not enjoyed the skiing through Maribel and even Mt Vallon disappointing todayBusy and not well pisted . Had some great days skiing marred by the fact that my mate an accomplished skier hit an embedded rock in the piste on the squire run near where the avalanche hit the piste and dislocated his shoulder. There are several embedded rocks showing on the piste there about 5-10 feet from the edge of the piste. Really given how wide the piste is, they should narrow the piste and bring the poles in. If skiing saluire avoid the left side of piste.
latest report
I have rarely seen it this busy in VT in March as it is at the moment. Occupancy is higher than normal for the time of year in apartments. I suspect that the large dump of a week or so ago persuaded lots of people put off by the early season snow levels to book.

Still the pistes are in good spring condition with hard ice first thing followed by softening through the day.

I met with the Belleville mayor's office earlier in the werk and she mentioned that the early season finish in VT of 1st of May was for a couple of reasons mainly around the timing of the French election and Dutch week. However, the early finish might also have been lucky if the warm weather continues.
snow report
Skied down to Saint Martin today. The new Jerusalem, run had suffered a lot in the sun over the last two days. The new run is not a patch on the old. Snow was great in Val Thorens not so much fun skiing back to le praz through mottaret.
ski holidays
dan100 wrote:
The new Jerusalem, ... The new run is not a patch on the old.

I thought it was different: please elaborate further.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy