Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Le Grand Bornand, La Clusaz, Aravis resorts 2016-17

Poster: A snowHead
Oh, yes, also.... It snowed here... a lot, from Thursday into Sunday. We had nearly 30cm at 800m at our place and easily double that up at Chinaillon. Lovely fresh stuff on Saturday although visibility came and went.
Sunday was very busy, I'm told. This was borne out today by the tracked out nature of nearly all accessible off piste today. Still, the bitterly cold north wind now blowing is stripping snow from exposed slopes and creating little powder pockets elsewhere. Looks like a good base for the season (at last). Let's hope it won't be too long before the next storm rolls in. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think L'Ourson is probably not what you're after if you've said "nothing fancy" (though agree it's very nice but the menu is ~50 euros a head and you need to book at least a week in advance during the season). I really like going to La Ferme (is on piste but also on road and only ever been there in the evenings when you do need to book though you're not peak season so could do that in the morning or the day before). In the village, L'Outa is very relaxed and good (don't think we've had to book there as it's bigger and has a faster turnover) and I like l'arbé too (possibly need to book but that said you are not peak season - maybe your husband could do some scouting about and booking during the day whilst you're on the pistes!)
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi Miranda

Thanks, la Ferme also seems a great idea to meet my husband for lunch, it should be convenient for both of us. I'll' get my husband to do some scouting on the others, we need to find stuff for him to do, He can't do much impact, but we are considering fat bike and veloski...

Now let's hope the snow holds up to the sunshine and wind, hoping another big dump is on it's way.

Cheers Smile
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@calinca, the swimming pool (accepts shorts so no need for budgie smugglers) does also have a couple of exercise machines e.g. static bike. Not sure what they offer in La Clusaz as we are in the next village along (La Giettaz) but our friend does organise fat biking down a 5km piste after the last lift shuts here. I know it's very disappointing for him not to be able to ski, but it's still a lovely part of the world to spend a week relaxing and enjoying some nice food and drink.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Damn, I think my brain must be freezing over. La Ferme is great....it had completely slipped my mind. I can recommend the burgers (which we'd never normally eat but theirs are really good), But do avoid their pizzas unless you are really not very hungry at all.
Having seen fat bikes and veloskis in action, I'm not sure I'd describe them as low impact if things go even slightly wrong.....
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi Miranda

Can you let me know the contact of your friend who does fat bike rental or tour.

Thank you, best wishes.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi GVJ

Hi's doctor told him he could start doing impact sports slowly and gave him the ok to try out easy greens and blues cruising, to see how he feels, he does indor cyclying already at home, so we tough fatbike on flatish grouds like the nordic skying tracks maybe?

Velosky I've never tried it, but on easy runs if you can stay sitted not much impact on the knee hopefully. I've found this on the internet and hopefully we can at least try it for free. http://www.info-noe.com/Lemaitre-VS/
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@calinca, great news that your husband is allowed to ski again. Really not an expert on any aspect of bike-like slidey things so I'll leave that to your discretion. At the other end of the speed spectrum there are some lovely snowshoe trails around the Beauregard plateau or along the Balcon or up the Danay from les Confins. The tourist office will have information. Have a super holiday.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Heading out on Wednesday for a few days. Keen to know how the piste conditions were and how much is open in LC. Cheers
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Mountaindoc, TBH, your best bet regarding finding out what's open is to look on the La Clusaz website which has a frequently updated list of what runs and lifts are open. Sunny days are softening the pistes by mid afternoon but very cold nights are keeping them in good shape after grooming.Lift accessible off piste is tracked out. Some fresh snow would be nice!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hello

Just arrived at la clusaz, the snow in piste is reasonable, higher up is considerably better, in the bottoms is hard pack and a icy. Some bushes, pines and browns on piste. It does need another dump, but I on't think the weather forecast is predicting one for this week Sad Still need to learn the resort as I need to follow the sun to get better snow conditions.

My husband skied a little bit yesterday and he seems to be ok, for cruising blue and greens, so they told me manigod area is the easiest for him and hopefully we can ski a little toghether:-)

Still discovering the station.

Let you know how it went and what places I liked, desliked
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Mountaindoc, @calinca, welcome to La Clusaz. Hope you have a super time.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi folks, good to see some more snow in the forecast for the next week or so. I'm heading over with my son on 1st March so plenty time for base to build!
A wee question for regulars if I may? We're staying at U-Fredy and arriving Wednesday lunchtime so thinking an afternoon on the snow should work. Can you buy a multi day pass at the office at the base of Combes des Juments/Transval? It would be the most handy place to get a hold of a pass and don't really want to order in advance as I'm not sure how many days we will do. Leaving Sunday lunchtime.
Cheers.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It looks as if La Clusaz has had a decent dump today!

I'm visiting in a fortnight's time. Having spent the last month or so looking at webcams and lists of open/ closed pistes, can anyone explain why so few of the black runs have been open? I could understand possible avalanche danger for a time after the last big fall on around 14 Jan. I guess some of the blacks may be south facing or otherwise not have great cover, eg the run above the col de Merdassier. However, until, I think, yesterday, Choucas was the only black shown as open.

Anyone local and have a view? I'd also be very interested to learn more about the skiing generally; composing itineraries from a piste map usually leads to a rude awakening when on the ground, in my experience ..,
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@scottishandy, welcome to snowheads ! AFAIK I think all the La Clusaz ticket offices sell the full range of available passes. Both resorts work on the same system, you pay a couple of euro for the plastic card and then they load whatever you want on it. Longer passes may require your photo but they just snap you with their little webcam, so no reason why any of the booths shouldn't be equipped to sell you what you want in terms of passes.
@L8, regarding black pistes. Most of the runs in La Clusaz and LGB are over mountain pasture. Hence, though relatively low, they can open with minimal snow cover because the snow only has to cover grass. However, the blacks are on steeper terrain, i.e. rocky couloirs or scree slopes, that this year's scanty snow fall is taking longer to build up to a safe level on. Sonnerie, LGBs only open black, was like a slalom course between half covered bushes and rock hazard warning sticks last week. Add in the fact that black runs are usually too steep for snow cannon and easy piste bashing and you have your answers.
Anymore questions, just ask . Very Happy
latest report
Cheers for that @gvj, will save some time if I can get passes without going into centre of town. How's the new snow looking?
ski holidays
@scottishandy, until I get back up there on Tuesday, your guess is as good as mine Toofy Grin . I'll post as soon as I know more.
ski holidays
Hello LGB folks. Just thought i'd check in with you all after you were so nice last year. Looks like conditions are not exactly great out there ATM. Here's hoping for a few more dumps.
latest report
Still snowing at present. Lots of new snow. Plenty of cover now. Off piste heavy going as freezing level not that low.
snow report
@B1g_browner, Got back on Saturday after a fortnight out in LGB. Apart from a couple of days in the second week all was pretty good. Sunshine and plenty of good skiing to be had. Even managing to find some nice soft stuff up until the end of the second week when it warmed up a bit. The snow which has arrived/continuing to fall was very timely with the half term crowds due. It should be fantastic when the sun appears again!
ski holidays
I counted five of the blacks open today (not Noire, Vraille) and 78/83 pistes overall. Looks well set! The webcams look like 'sunny but f-me it's cold' conditions.

@gvj - do you have any recommendations for lunch/ coffee stops highish on the mountain (ie not at La Ferme/ u Fredy altitude)?
snow report
Just arrived today. Can't wait to get started
snow report
@L8, @alangibson73, hope you have a great time.@L8, I ski LGB almost exclusively these days rather than La Clusaz so can't help you much there, I'm afraid.
latest report
Hello,
We arrive in LGB in 3 weeks time, can't wait!
anyone had experience booking ski passes on line and in particular as a 'tribe' which is the group deal.
Do we need photos, some already have a ski card with photos for the area which need loading too , and some want the La Clusaz pass or can they upgrade the LGB pass at the time ?
I hope this makes sense to some of you, thanks .
snow report
Can anyone comment on how late in the season La Clusaz is typically open? I may be around Annecy in April and am wondering if it is worth pencilling in a side-trip. I realise "it depends.....".
snow conditions
@branelin, Hi, welcome. We used to book our season passes online and they'd be posted to the UK. It worked OK with uploaded photos but the passes did take a while to arrive. The website is a little clunky but it seems to remember our data from one year to the next. If you do have previous year's pass cards from LGB or La Clusaz then they can be recharged via the site (so long as it doesn't say they can't on them ie some day and pedestrian passes).
However, if not all of you have passes already and you've got questions about the "tribu" offer details, I think I'd be inclined to sort the passes out when you get here as the remontes mechanique folk are always very helpful. Three weeks should be plenty of time for passes to get to you but the post round here can be very erratic- either superfast or super slow- so I don't think that I'd risk it. Also by then the half term hordes will have left so no queuing at the caisses.
@dogwatch, Hi, obviously depends on the snow cover (which is currently below average this season). The resort website will update the projected last day of opening as the season progresses so best to check on there nearer the time. Fingers crossed for lots of March blizzards snowHead
snow report
OK, thanks.
snow conditions
Thankyou gvj , All good advice, any ideas on a good sports bar to watch Rugby on in the village?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@branelin, if you'll be up in Chinaillon next to the slopes then the Green Monkey near the top of the main street is probably your best bet, I know they were showing the 6 nations last season. If in LGB itself then try downstairs in Le Crois Saint Maurice or the bar next to the bus station. If they're not showing it they'll probably know somewhere that is. Mind you, if France aren't playing the TVs more likely to be tuned to the footie or wintersports.
snow conditions
@branelin, Green monkey will have a lively atmosphere. Also la floria just along from the base of the Floria lift will prob be showing the rugby and if you like a more up market atmosphere the entracte wine bar in the high street at Chinaillon will be a good bet. Get there early as it's quite small and intimate if you want a seat - they sell beer too!!
latest report
Ha, knew I should have waited for a proper Chinaillon bar crawler to answer...you've got an expert's opinion now! Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
@gvj, Can't think what you mean Laughing Laughing wink
snow conditions
Currently in La Clusaz for half term week. Conditions are good but they need another decent dump of snow soon. Couple of runs closed and some more will be soon by the state of them. Would recommend L'Outa which is on the Main Street heading towards Bossonet. Found a place just off the Main square behind the church La Chavinette - they do fantastic burgers. We were here last year and never ventured to the L'Etale area to ski but discovered it on our lessons this year. Couple of nice blues and reds over there. Hope you have a great time.
snow report
@gvj,@loatie,Thanks both of you , We've had the pleasure of both the floria and the green Monkey previously when staying in Chinallion but as we are staying in LGB this time I think Hotel Le Crois Saint Maurice looks good so will check it out.
latest report
Hi all, Just in case anyone is interested we are happy with the ski pass/ postal services because our passes have arrived safely already and I was able to get the 8% saving as a 'tribe'.All we need now is a bit more snow!!
snow conditions
@branelin, that's good to hear. We always get our season pass by post and haven't been let down yet. Seems a very efficient service. Sniff of a chance of snow on Friday so fingers crossed!
snow report
Anyone got an update on current conditions? Looks like rain on the webcams although most forecasts seem to be predicting a good dump next week..... Due out next week from 5th - 9th March and hoping the snow improves....

Thanks!!
latest report
Sorry forgot to say, staying in La Clusaz rather than LGB
snow report
@Fast_ted: It needs to improve ... Just finishing off my week in La Clusaz. There has been plenty to ski but not much of it has been good. A warm week: Spring skiing in mid Feb. No fresh since 8 Feb. Too much sugar over concrete. There are some crucial gaps in the circuit which surely won't be refilled this season eg reds down to the Transval. Some pistes are down to boiler-plate ice e.g. Aiguille red, Choucas black (closed yesterday, I assume for this reason, as it looked basically unsafe), and a lot of the La Balme area. Lower runs (Motte, Plan) increasingly bare. Water skiing which is a good laugh. Overall, sadly, there's just a bit too much of the area which is not in great condition.

Snow was forecast today (Fri) but the amount was negligible.

That said: Excellent skiing in the Croix Fry sector which has the greatest concentration of good snow and offers lovely tree-line skiing from green to tough red level: a brilliant family sitting. Great efforts by the pisteurs all over the mountains. Lovely scenery (very special from high up) and a lovely village. All cafés visited (most of them) were friendly and welcoming; and there are plenty. Special word for Cafe Rose (snack bar) at the bottom of Les joux. All lifties were friendly, helpful and when necessary worked hard to get down queues by bringing singles forward. The L'Etale telemix lift gives access to good, largely uncrowded runs.

The canny skier who is only focused on skiing will think hard along the lines of: where does the sun hit first? Where does the snow hold up before going to slush? And plan movements accordingly.

Edit: spent a hour earlier watching a chalet fire above our apartment ... The image is not quite representative of the snow conditions!

http://www.ledauphine.com/haute-savoie/2017/02/24/un-chalet-en-feu-sur-les-pistes-de-la-clusaz-au-cret-du-merle
snow conditions
Hmmm doesn't sound great, here's hoping Tuesday's dump happens and is a game changer. Arriving Wednesday with my son for a few days Very Happy Had clocked today that the Juments reds were both shut so what are options for getting back to Transval? Particularly relevant for me as we are staying at U Fredy and had assumed ski to door! I'm guessing we could drop into LC then back out over Beauregard but looks a bit faffy!
Also any opinions on whether it's worth getting Aravis area pass and visiting LGB? We're both boarders and can get down nearly anything, like side piste stuff and a bit of adventure!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy