Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zermatt (and Cervinia) 2016/17

Poster: A snowHead
@Brothergrimm, @JohnMo, should I even consider a guide? Is there anything good to access off the resort?

Or should I consider Monte rosa? I can eat the air bnb fee and probably remain cost neutral given we are talking Switzerland. Is it that much better in champoluc? Sigh, if I wasn't so obsessed with the alps.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Redwine wrote:
@Brothergrimm, @JohnMo, should I even consider a guide? Is there anything good to access off the resort?

Or should I consider Monte rosa? I can eat the air bnb fee and probably remain cost neutral given we are talking Switzerland. Is it that much better in champoluc? Sigh, if I wasn't so obsessed with the alps.

If you were coming out tomorrow I would say it was not worth a guide for lift accessed stuff. A mate of mine round in Nendaz (part of the 4 valleys with Verbier) knows a guide very well and he took him off to a small resort on the other side of the Rhone valley where they found some good off piste. You could also find some decent stuff if you went ski touring or heliskiing.

However up on the weather outlook thread things are starting to look a bit more optimistic. I will keep my skis crossed for you.

I don't know about Monte Rosa. It was quite a bit better at Christmas but I am not sure it is much different now. The only two places I have skied this year are Zermatt-Cervinia and the Verbier 4 Valleys. They are pretty similar condition - 4 valleys a bit better than Zermatt but Cervinia probably best of all.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
New snow across Cervina today. Started about 12 until 6. Most people headed in so I had empty pistes with a reasonable layer of powder for the last 90 minutes. The new snow should get bashed down tonight and improve things for this weeks guests. We have had a good week.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
So, it seems to get to chalet etoile from zermatt is a "check the weather first" type of situation. Is the restaurant therefore accustomed to taking reservations on one day or overnight notice? of should I be making a reservation now, and hoping that the weather is OK on the day that I chose. I will be there during a pretty busy time of the season, I think. Mid-Feb with a few school vaca weeks around europe and the USA.

Still praying for storms.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just arrived back from a trip to Cervinia. We had lunch at Chalet Etoile a couple of days. We just called in late that morning to book for 1:30 on the same day - however there were only two people in our party.

Not sure what happened on one of the days re the links from Cervinia to Zermatt as they were closed (thu 26th Jan and Fri 27th) but one, I can't remember which, was not due to high winds. There were rumours that the runs in zermatt were icy, but we never got a proper story.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Chalet Etoile from Zermatt is used to reservations on the day or day before. No need to reserve weeks in advance. It's an easy ski from the top at Testa Grigia -just make sure you go down the correct side from the top. That means drop down from Testa Grigia as if heading towards Zermatt and hang a left as soon as you see it around the side of the mountain back through to the Italian side and ski the red runs to the right of the chairlifts. Those runs are a total blast. Chalet Etoile sits slightly above Plan Maison. If you ski fast, it takes no more than about 10 mins to get there from the top.
On a sunny calm day, no need to worry about wind and lift closure. In my experience, the lift companies don't tend to open unless you can get back, or they restrict your access down the other side if the weather is a bit dodgy to start with. The easiest way back up to Zermatt is the succession of 3 chairs from Plan Maison. Take about 30 mins I think. The lifts will have a sign on them stating when the last lift back to Zermatt is.

Chalet E is one of my fave mountain restaurants. Yum!

Forecast for the end if this week seems to be shaping up into some proper snowfall.
Zermatt is wonderful. Even if it's not "the best" ski resort in the world, it is somewhere you really have to put on your ski bucket list.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I am not sure I would be quite so confident of getting into the restaurant (i.e. table service) part if just phoning up on the day. We phoned from the top of the mountain last Tuesday just before 12 and couldn't get a table for three. Things will get busier as February progresses.

On the other hand I wouldn't worry if you have booked from Zermatt and find you can't get over. That must happen to them a reasonable amount over the course of a season.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Skied a lot of the area today, from sunegga to riffleberg to swarzee to cervinia. Visibility generally pretty poor all day. Pistes fairly quiet. On piste conditions ok. Off piste terrible. Snowing heavily at zermatt resort level now so should improve things tomorrow just as I am heading home Crying or Very sad
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@picnic64, I feel your pain. Always happens to me that way. Watching snowflakes from the plane.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
this looks ok, possible change in weather patterns? Finally....wait and see...wait and see....

https://www.wunderground.com/ch/zermatt
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Difficult to get reliable snowfall reports online. Have seen reports of 0 to 30 cm over these past few days. Can anyone on the ground quantify the snowfall? This weekend looks promising.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@skiandgolfnut,
My first day today beautiful weather. Great snow up top. Cervinia had great conditions too to bottom. I'd say 15-20 cmon the glacier. Not to fond of 40 degree weather in the village but up top is great.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Amazing day. Everything from middle station (2.300+ meters) and upwards was in excellent condition on piste. Off piste still quite gnarly.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Ptspeak, @axci, new snow?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Redwine,
Nothing new as of yet. I'm just an American visitor so I'm no expert, but have been following the thread here. Today Cervinia was closed. Most of the Glacier was too. High winds up at Trockener Steg. The glacier closed completely by 11. Pistes are in need of a refresh at least but decent cover above 2200. Clouds are moving in. Snow supposedly coming in the next few hours. +4 in town.
snow report
Mind you dont get fleeced like my pal in the Lap Dance club Cervinia Laughing
ski holidays
Snow coming down in small amounts in Cervinia. If it keeps up over night we might have a nice top up by the morning.
ski holidays
Fantastic final day on the mountain. Probably between 5-10 cm of fresh up top and blue bird.
It was possible to make fresh tracks on piste right until lunch. Snow is falling again now at resort level.
snow conditions
@axci, thanks for update. Did u ski zermatt or cervinia? Both benefiting from snow now?
snow report
@Redwine
I was primarily in Cervinia. Popped over to Schwarzee on Zermatt side yesterday and it also looked nice. Wind picked up late in the afternoon but nothing critical.
Heading home now just as the snowing started again in Cervinia.
ski holidays
Heavy snow in Zermatt all day. Circa 20 cm fresh powder on runs. Cervinia link closed today and pretty certainly tomorrow due to high winds up top. Little wind if any in the village though.
snow report
Back home after a super week in Cervinia and Zermatt. Put together a small edit of our trip. Most of the stuff was recorded on Friday. Enjoy.

http://youtube.com/v/7ryzN79SDHM
snow conditions
Arrived in resort Cervinia yesterday with heavy snow falling. This morning high winds have closed the Italian side...
snow report
So by the end of the storm how much snow was there?
snow report
Haven't been to Zermatt since the 80s when I was all of seven years old. Currently there are some cheap flights out of NYC to Milan. Can anyone recommend a shuttle service between Malpensa Airport and Zermatt? Thinking about a quick trip in mid March.

Thanks!
ski holidays
ArlbergMeister wrote:
Haven't been to Zermatt since the 80s when I was all of seven years old. Currently there are some cheap flights out of NYC to Milan. Can anyone recommend a shuttle service between Malpensa Airport and Zermatt? Thinking about a quick trip in mid March.

Thanks!

Malpensas is the least convenient of the three main airports that people generally use to get to Zermatt. Zürich and Geneva have train stations in the airport that take you direct to Visp where you get on the Zermatt train. We have only used Milan when we have fancied combining it with a day in Milan at the football or the opera. However if you are linking up directly you get a bus to Domodossa and there you get on the train to Visp where as mentioned you get the Zermatt train. Alternatively you could hire a car. The Simpson pass between Italy and Switzerland does get closed in snowy weather but there is a car train that continues to run.
snow report
Going to zermatt via Milan in a week and this is what we are doing. Going to be in Milan for a few days before heading into the alps, but we will take train from central through brig. It cost about 190 chf round trip. Also getting from malpensa to centrale is 20
Euro round trip.
snow conditions
@JohnMo, @Redwine, Thank you, both! I was in St. Anton for New Years and just missed the snow. I'd like to get back over to the Alps for another go this winter.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The 20 euro maplensa express requires online advance purchase. If u are planning on doing that.
ski holidays
Still snowin in Zermatt , pretty much continuously since Sunday. Fair bit of avalanche danger currently, but once this is over I Would think itinerie routes could be opened.
snow report
@twoodwar, please please please. Arrive in little over a week.
snow report
Still snowing in Cervinia and Zermatt... great powder on and off piste. Not too many people. More snow falling in cervinia tonight and more forecast overnight and tomorrow.

Offpiste you still have to be careful for unexposed rocks.

Given snowfall coming down and what I can see, those coming later this week/ next week should have no problems.
latest report
Anyone out on the slopes recently with a report. Are the itineries open? Doesn't look like any more storms this week, does it?
latest report
@Redwine,

My son and his wife have been out for a long weekend at our place. They drove up on snow covered roads and the photos I've seen showed lots of good stuff around. However it is the same story - enough snow (and snow making) plus cold temperatures have kept the pistes in great shape. But the itineraries need the major dumps that we just haven't had. Even piste 15 that links Kumme with Tuftern is not open. It is always the last "normal" piste to open. It too needs a decent amount of snow.

I am back out in a fortnight. I really hope the itineraries are open then. But there is no snow looking likely this week.
snow report
Report on my daughter in law's travel blog of their trip:

http://apairofpassports.com/skiing-in-zermatt/

She is 100% a piste skier so it concentrates on that. Piste skiing has been and is great. Lift accessed off piste not so much (still not a single itinerary open). Two weeks until I am back out, my broken rib is mending so I am hoping next week brings something good.
snow conditions
@JohnMo, thanks! looks like it will be piste skiing. I will try and give some updates next week when I am there. That little hutte mentioned in the blog post looks perfect to bring to the family. have etoile in cervinia on the radar also. Anything else that we should definitely try to work into the rotation?

Is a guide worth the effort? seems like there is nothing they can find for us given how sparse the off piste is anyway.
snow conditions
@Redwine, I think the whether to hire a guide question comes down as much to finances and how much you want to spend a week just doing pistes. There is a decent amount of snow around so I think a guide would manage to find you some decent places to go. It just wouldn't be as good as a "normal" (whatever that is) year. I know I would still splash out if I was a visitor.
ski holidays
i'll probably play the guide by ear, and see what things look like when i get there next week. Any guide suggestions in case we think they can find some stuff.

**** new info****
Got the most honest comment from a zermatt ski school, essentially saying there aint much decent off piste unless you go deep into the glaciers. I guess its the piste for us.
latest report
Arrived, what a beautiful place. What area should I start at tomorrow? We have to take the bus, so I suppose just skiing around one should not check their skis at any of the bases. Heard they need more snow from ppl we bumped into on the street, but everyone was also smiling. Village looks busy.
ski holidays
@Redwine, I suggest getting the train up to Gornergrat to enjoy the view and get used to the altitude, whatever you do have a great time, wish I was there.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy