Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zermatt (and Cervinia) 2016/17

Poster: A snowHead
Thanks for the update@JohnMo, let's see what the week holds ...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Forecast for next 4 days looks horrendous - heavy precipitation with the FL at around the 2,200 mark Sad Sad Sad

What areas should we stick to assuming that most lifts are open (if winds stay relatively moderate as the current runs suggest)?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Looks fine to me

https://www.3bmeteo.com/meteo/breuil-cervinia
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Does anyone know a good boot fitter In Cervinia? I'm in new boots I've had one sitting with some grinding but I know I'm still in need of a bit of tweaking next week
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There seems to be a load of snow forecast for the next few days. Anyone think it's worth a short trip sometime next week (staying in Cervinia)? Had previously ruled out a late trip this year as didn't want to bother with warmth and slush again after the last few weeks, but maybe things are looking up now? I'd be strictly on-piste on this trip.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We're off for to Zermatt on monday for one last trip this season, any ideas how the coniditons are at the moment? I've been watching the weather forecast and it seems like there should be some fresh snow and fingers crossed some colder weather. How are the runs? Is the snow that was forecast actually arriving? I'm super excited but if it's slush and ice maybe need to lower my expectations!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We've been here since Wednesday - link to Cervinia shut since then due to strong winds. No snow in Zermatt itself, first time I've seen it so bare at this time of year. Snow soft below 2,800M and slushy as you drop below 2,200 (red 41 and the black 62 were not in great shape this AM). Rain in the town last night meant about 15CMs of fresh (not powder / a bit heavy) at the top of the Furggsattel chair. Nice fresh tracks to be had first thing, it became pretty chopped up by midday. Plenty of runs still in very good shape though.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hmm that's not amazing but ok! I'm sure we can find some nice bits and fingers crossed then that it improves a bit over the weekend. Thanks for your reply Smile
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@mollymoo, by the looks of it the link to Cervinia might be open tomorrow. Forecast is only for light winds next week, you'll be fine.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
mollymoo wrote:
Hmm that's not amazing but ok! I'm sure we can find some nice bits and fingers crossed then that it improves a bit over the weekend. Thanks for your reply Smile

Be careful. Avy bulletin saaying considerate, wet snow and warm weather coming
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Plus a lot of wind blown not so easily identifiable at the min due to visibility conditions
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Stinker of a morning (and day I would guess). Extremely high winds - currently in the Matterhorn Express being swung from side to side like there's no tomorrow. Long lunch / early finish (if we ever get started).

As a side note does anyone know why the 69 has been closed for the last couple of years (in March at least)? Thought it ended at the mid station of the gondola - no evidence of that ...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
franga wrote:
Stinker of a morning (and day I would guess). Extremely high winds - currently in the Matterhorn Express being swung from side to side like there's no tomorrow. Long lunch / early finish (if we ever get started).

As a side note does anyone know why the 69 has been closed for the last couple of years (in March at least)? Thought it ended at the mid station of the gondola - no evidence of that ...

Just needs a lot of snow (like the 55, which has also not opened, that runs down from Schwarzsee and joins up with the 69 before Furgg) and there has not been sufficient. 69 has opened in reasonably recent years but it seems an age since 55 was open. A lot of people use the route of the 69 as an off piste run. We did so in the last week of January but boy was there a lot of rock.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks very much - I think we came down the 69 a couple of years ago ... seem to remember a ropey section below the Matterhorn.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Staying in Cervinia this weekend. Worth getting the international pass based on current conditions or staying locally?
snow report
I wouldn't unless you've never been to Zermatt TBH - came back (from Zermatt) on Sunday night. Saturday night's snow came too late for us. We had a reasonable time but I can't remember a year when the snow coverage was as poor as last week at this time of the season. Some pistes were great, others OK and some very soft and bumpy by as early as 11 - I always find that the snow on the Zermatt side (talking about pistes) is inferior to what you get over in Italy - scrapy with a very hard base that gets moved about and chopped up easily.
latest report
Plus it was bloody expensive!
snow report
Hey folks,

Heading out next week and trying to decide which board to bring, is it nice and soft late morning or does the ice last longer?

Going to Cervinia side Wink

Cheers
ski holidays
@Aviatork, not sure what boards you own but I would definitely go for whichever one is more snappy on the turn, there were a lot of soft stashes, bumps and moguls in Zermatt last week ... my Salomon Asassin (which is amazing at fast piste carving including on hard pack) was a bit out of place. Having said that, the Cervinia runs are less steep, hold snow much better etc so a good piste carving board will do the job.
ski holidays
@franga, thanks! I have the rocker vs camber dilemma, Burton process flying V or a Jones aviator. The former is way more fun but a bag of s**t on ice, I was there earlier in the year and whilst it was spring like it stayed pretty rock hard all day higher up which suited the jones. First world problems!

Cheers
latest report
I'm out in cervinia now. Up the top snow is great on piste. Off piste not very nice breakable crust only very small patches of nice powder and dotted between nasty crust. Down the bottom is icy till about 11ish.
snow conditions
@Mother hucker, good info!
ski holidays
Got back from Zermatt after a short break last night (well...2am after a 3 hour delay at the tunnel Confused ). First two days, windy and links to Cervinia shut as was the skiing on the Matterhorn GP. Some good skiing above mid station though around Rothorn and Gornergrat. Then woke yesterday to snow in the village. First gondola up to Matterhorn GP and we had a blast until 11.30. Snowing lightly, and about a foot or more of fresh stuff to play in off the side. Pretty good down to Furgg, soggy below that, great off Furgsattel chair. The links were open to Cervinia. We had to come off the mountain to head home at 11.30, but frankly my legs had had enough!
snow conditions
Summer time in Cervinia these last few days, saw 20 degrees on the temp display yesterday afternoon at the gondola down town.

Pistes still good above plan maison, down below very slushy but good fun.

Apparently runs 3 and 5 may close this week as the forecast is set to be similar into the future.

Didn't go over the Swiss side.
snow report
Just leaving from the Swiss side today after a few days here for Zermatt Unplugged: Paolo Nuttini, Jess Glynne and K T Tunstall all excellent; Michael Bolton awful; some good Swiss artists at various locations around town, some mediocre; Ronnie Scott's house band at the Gandegghütte teetering on the edge of the glacier valley great as always.

I didn't ski as each day I went walking with the Mrs. However when I walked over pistes the high north facing ones still seemed very good (and a mate who did ski confirmed the same). They will still be open even after the main closure in two weeks time. The lower south facing runs and the home runs are still open but it is a minor miracle that they are.

I will be back out at the end of. May when the pistes on the Furgg glacier will still be open (they close for the peak summer leaving the pistes on the high glacier at Klein Matterhorn). Still plenty of skiing left in them mountains. It had been a fun piste season and intermittently good off piste. But I am already snowdancing for a return of big snow next season.
snow conditions
Scotspikey, nothing average in Chalet Etoile or Bontadini! Suggest a trip advisor check for the latest.
JohnMo , or anyone with any hard factual knowledge of this, Can you buy a 6 day international pass in Cervinia, and start Journeys in Zermatt?
My daughter and sone in law are in Cervinia now and their instructor says this is ok. My understanding is that such a pass will not work on a first use in Zermatt. Otherwise I would have done it 10 years ago!

To keep on post, a couple of great days weather due in Cervinia snowHead
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy