Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland snow reports 2016/2017

Poster: A snowHead
Had been hoping my son could get proper snow training in before we head to Bormio for the English National Champs but with only 2 more weekends until we leave I think the closest he'll get is Braehead. The Gordon Skiers Open was due to take place this weekend but was cancelled. The Scottish Schools and the Glenshee Games are looking very unlikely. Looking at GFS etc. it isn't looking promising. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes had been hoping for a Canada warm up at Glenshee but thats not going to happen as off next weekend.

Oh well plenty of snow there Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Reasonable fall of snow overnight. Waiting for the snow gates to open at the Lecht.

http://m.webcam-hd.com/ski-scotland/the-lecht
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Lecht is now open, apparently.
Only one of the five Scottish resorts and, oddly, it's the lowest (just needs the least amount of cover to open).
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I was skiing at the Lecht on Sunday (30/01) and the conditions were pretty good, a couple of bare patches as there's no base. But blue skies, no wind, friendly staff and the pistes were very quiet as the road wasn't open 1st thing. Me and my daughter had a great afternoon
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Good to hear the Lect offering some snow sports in what has been a dismal season. So glad I missed the early bird Cairngorms pass this year. Rumours of colder weather next week. Fingers crossed.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Weather forecast for Fort William is for colder temps (3 to 6 degrees) and rain/snow from Saturday to Tuesday so hopefully that will be enough to get the season kicked off...
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Been one of the worst seasons ever in history for Scotland.

There are perhaps 1-3 weeks left for Scotland to build a base.

If they don't get snow by mid-Feb, the season is done.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:
There are perhaps 1-3 weeks left for Scotland to build a base. If they don't get snow by mid-Feb, the season is done.
^^^What utter bo11ocks! But good for a laugh as ever Laughing Laughing Laughing

Why let the truth get in the way of a good bit of doom mongering??

Three or four seasons back, the Scottish ski areas had their first ever March with not a single lift spinning in the entire month - the mountains were virtually all green. Snow then arrived with a vengeance in April and there was pretty decent skiing to the end of May.

So while things have been pretty awful, there's still time enough yet.....
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Let's type in single sentences.

With a space in between.

But it's got to all be nonsense.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Scotland's snow cover is most affected by the temperature of the Atlantic (and North sea) which is coldest in March, so there's time yet...

That's why their season starts late and finishes late, i.e May.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm leaving Austria tomorrow after two weeks of good skiing and even a couple of days of lovely off piste. In four weeks I'm of to the Cairngorms. I would never go there expecting guaranteed skiing but I wouldn't go without my skis. Because conditions can change so quickly and that is the nature of the beast in that part of the world. I'll be there with my wife and the dog,kitted out for some good hikes. But if there's skiing to be had then that will be a bonus. Sure, you'll never get champagne powder but my fondest memories are the days where it all comes together and, best of all; it's Scotland!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Whitegold wrote:
Been one of the worst seasons ever in history for Scotland.

There are perhaps 1-3 weeks left for Scotland to build a base.

If they don't get snow by mid-Feb, the season is done.

We are demolishing the pomas as we speak.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Snow falling now at Glenshee Cool
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:
Snow falling now at Glenshee
^^^^Had a ride up there on Saturday night for a bit of a ski tour yesterday:

- Skinned up the Cairnwell side to save the skins on, skins off faff on Sunnyside and beyond wink.
- Weather closed in almost immediately and it snowed quite heavily off and on for the 5hrs we were there.
- Cover grassy and thin in places - a fair bit more snow needed to get some runs and lifts open - but they're heading in the right direction.
- Some nice fresh tracks in heavy-ish snow.
- Challenging in parts.
- Temperature warmed up and the snow became a bit sticky - uphill and down.
- Still a nice day out in the mountains Very Happy

ski holidays
Hoping to get on the slopes this weekend, which will be my first ski in the open air.

We're in Glasgow so all resorts within easy reach. Any particularly suited for a beginner, or is there one that typically has better conditions or more reliable than the others?

Snow seems to be looking good for all resorts, but guess we won't make a decision until Saturday AM Very Happy
snow report
The best ones usually the one with the best conditions on the day. Keep an eye on winter highland and the resort websites. Have a look at what runs are open and make your choice.

Glencoe will probably be nearest to you but get there early if you want ski hire.

And I am not very jealous that I have to work this weekend Mad
snow conditions
lovely little film here

http://youtube.com/v/yjjksRSzxXs
latest report
Glenshee looking good in the sun.

http://m.webcam-hd.com/ski-scotland/glenshee
ski holidays
Spent the day at Glencoe. Only 4-5 runs open, and snow fairly patchy in places, though there's certainly enough to keep a novice occupied for a good few hours. Weather was as good as can be hoped for with little wind and decent bouts of sun and blue sky.

Hoping for same again next weekend.
snow report
Glad you enjoyed your Ski Scotland debut redcard. All the ski areas are different but equally enjoyable in nice snow - Nevis Range in particular would be great for you, especially given your location; and you'll enjoy the upper mountain at Glencoe once it opens.
snow conditions
Glencoe was disgrace today. Should not be opened. The cliff hanger chair dumped you on to ice and rocks. I know they are trying to make the best of it, but it was awful. Avoid at all costs till it snows more.
snow report
Anyone been out on Glenshee in the last day or so? Giving some thought to heading up from Edinburgh tomorrow, is it worth it?
latest report
Quote:
Glencoe was disgrace today. Should not be opened.
Really?? Confused Very unlike Glencoe, if so...
snow conditions
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
Glencoe was disgrace today. Should not be opened.
Really?? Confused Very unlike Glencoe, if so...

I know. I have had a very amicable email conversation with them about it, and we have reached an agreement. What little the resorts had is getting washed away as we speak. Happens every now and then, bad year.
ski holidays
cinglis wrote:
Anyone been out on Glenshee in the last day or so? Giving some thought to heading up from Edinburgh tomorrow, is it worth it?

Bit late with this report - I was up on Monday with my son, so pretty much all beginners area. Snow was ok, looked decent at certain parts, thin in others - but it was very warm.

A quick look at the webcam suggests that temperatures have not dropped and/ or rain is washing a lot of the (thin) base away.
snow conditions
Curious, where does this rank in terms of worst snow years in the last decade? I've been back in Scotland three years and they've all been decent so I'm wondering how far back you have to go for a similar year.
latest report
It's one of the five worst seasons for Scotland in the past ~60 years.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
No its not you nugget! Nothing opened till March in 2012. A few years before that they nearly all went under because of no ski days over a few seasons. Its Scotland, at almost non existent altitude. I have skied from Jan till May the last 3 seasons, I knew that we were due a bad one eventually, law of averages and all that. Can I have a link to your Scottish Ski seasons of the last 60 years stats?
Christ I need to put you on ignore.
ski holidays
kitenski wrote:
lovely little film here

http://youtube.com/v/yjjksRSzxXs

Excellent, and an impressive catch for them given the current snow conditions!
ski holidays
Quote:

Christ I need to put you on ignore.

It's worth doing if I'm honest, and I generally just browse once in a while!
latest report
Interesting message from Alan @ winterhighland.com on Facebook

Back in 2006 Glencoe Mountain Resort didn't open till Sat 18th Feb then skied through till the end of April. Far far away Kirkwood Mountain Resort in California was enjoying a greater than 850" season in 2006, today it is puking again as Kirkwood passes the 500" total for season to date with the NWS predicting 18inches to fall by dusk!

Significant mountain snow is expected from this week's storms here in Highland Scotland, there's a lot of 2006 about this winter and spookily even the days/dates match up - what came from here on in, we'll take! #keepthefaith #snowiscoming
snow conditions
Interesting note from Alan @winterhighland.com

Back in 2006 Glencoe Mountain Resort didn't open till Sat 18th Feb then skied through till the end of April. Far far away Kirkwood Mountain Resort in California was enjoying a greater than 850" season in 2006, today it is puking again as Kirkwood passes the 500" total for season to date with the NWS predicting 18inches to fall by dusk!

Significant mountain snow is expected from this week's storms here in Highland Scotland, there's a lot of 2006 about this winter and spookily even the days/dates match up - what came from here on in, we'll take! #keepthefaith #snowiscoming
ski holidays
scotspikey wrote:
No its not you nugget! Nothing opened till March in 2012.

No, there was skiing in Jan and early Feb which melted rather quickly mid-end of Feb before coming back early March. Plenty of lift served skiing was had before March 2012
ski holidays
There has also been skiing at all centres this season, in Jan and Feb, before melting. Not, however, by any stretch of the imagination a season. The next couple of weeks are crucial. Personally, I have given up hope on this year, this will happen in Scotland some years. Depressing, but inevitable.
snow report
Anyone else thinking Lowther hills is worth a visit on Friday?
snow report
Sounds like all the Scottish centres except Glenshee will actually be opening tomorrow.
The latest snowfall wasn't forecast to reach them but has, apparently.
www.winterhighland.info/general/
latest report
Nevis Range looking all pretty with her white hat on.

snow report
Two good days at Cairngorm Very Happy:
Day 1 - Mon 27 Feb 2017 - Ski touring day. About 3cm of powdery snow overnight in Aviemore - but not as much on the mountain as we'd hoped. About 7cm at the most here and there but a welcome boost to the snow cover.Skinned up the Daylodge tow track on snow that varied from rain-dappled refrozen to pockets of fresh and 3m drifts in places.

Went up to the summit via the walking track from the Ptarmigan cafe. Very rocky around the summit - had to take our skis off and walk to access the snow. From there we skied off the back down towards Loch Avon - on snow that varied from refrozen to windblown powder to velvety smooth; before climbing back up and coming out at the top of the Ptarmigan Tow. Skied down via the Traverse and Cas/Gunbarrel - lovely packed powder higher up, narrow and a few rocky bits lower down. We then managed to ski to the Daylodge, albeit combat-style below the middle station.

Day 2 - Tuesday 28 Feb - AM ski touring but weather not the best - fog on tops after a cold, sunny start (-7C) in Aviemore; so bought a lift ticket PM - good that you get 20% off all tickets midweek (didn't know that) so half day for £20. Very good value vs a snow dome.

Snow is generally very good but most open runs have a few rocks lower down and are narrow in places - eg Cas, M2. And never seen the White Lady so narrow (2 piste bashers?) - still good though.

Pics to follow...
ski holidays
Nevis Range today.

snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy