Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Deux Alpes 2016/17 inc useful links

Poster: A snowHead
@Doccam, have a look on booking .com, still a few
Get for th11th in les duet alp
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks both. I've already had a look at booking.com and found a couple of options but personal recommendations always preferable. Hadn't thought of satellites and chance to ski Alp d'huez so thanks for that ClaudeB. 👍
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Did somewhere like the Cairn come up, they are pretty flexible. A Hungarian couple own it I go to french class with her. Not stayed there though. Valentine is nice if you can get in.

Dumped heavily yesterday evening and much of the night, it's still snowing heavily but I can't even see the mountain. Doubt I'll go up today.

Quick update on that, it looks as if everything is closed anyway.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Again thanks all. Valentine had rooms so grabbed two- really great price so thanks for recommendation. Any thoughts on where to eat- we usually try and get steak frites or something like that?
Cheers again!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Claude B, Hi I wonder if you could give some advise as you are local. I fly out to Lyon with my daughter this thursday, staying in Bourg to ski Alp d huez on the friday and saturday then into Les duex alp for the week, we fly back from Lyon on sunday 19th and at the moment are planning to ski Alp d Huez again on the saturday I have hired a car from Lyon with snow tyres, would you think we will be ok with just the snow tyres or should i order some chains as well. They want 80 euro for the hire of the chains which seems a bit steep, however if you feel i may need them i am happy to pay. thanks in advance
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thé forecast is for a lot of snow next week so probably safest. It's sometimes in resort that you need them. Where are you staying Might be à steep hill up. Might be cheaper to buy some from à supermarket. Big Carrefour at St Egreve just off main road before Grenoble.

Valentine is nice, husband and wife owner, she's English. Best méat in resort is Le Cellier, all cooker over open fire. Place de Venosc so 15 mins max walk from Valentine.

À few lifts were actually open on Vallée Blanche, nothing on the main mountain. I didn't go up.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Claude B, yes I saw that there could be some snow , so I'll think to get some, are the chains much cheaper to buy? It'll be just my luck if I go into get some and they don't have our size! Ha ha.
We are staying in a UCPA centre run by Action Outdoors , not sure where it is in resort actually so it might be a good idea to find out 😄 Thanks
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@bigtoe, UCPA is behind Place de Venosc. On the flat but who knows. Generally about 50€ I think.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Major dumpage here this week-end, all day today and plenty Friday night and yesterday too. Haven't skied today, vis isn't great. After today minor falls until Thursday. A little photo I took when I battled my way to the boulangerie earlier.

snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Claude B, nice to see that Very Happy thanks for info, i have ordered the snow chains, Very Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Toofy Grin for that photo and thanks for restaurant tip.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Being ever optimistic my mates were going for first lift. Instinctively I knew with wind and avi clearance (level 4) it would be chaos so went up about 11. It was actually chaos all day with nothing open above 2600m and some key lifts below too so I never found them. Had a nice day though, snow was great and some firsts for this season. As I couldn't get above Diable I went down the Valentin which was nice (did it later too) and over to Vallée Blanche. Not that much open there but less wind, did a bit of off piste there and under the Petite Aiguille chair. Managed to get up to Toura on Jandri and on thé way down did the red bit of Thuit and the blue back to resort, both were hard for early intermediates and therefore carnage.

Vallée Blanche

Valentin
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
getting very excited now Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just skied for a couple of hours yesterday morning, I have french lessons in the afternoon. To avoid the crowds I started on Vallée Blanche, it was OK but the light was flattish. Went over the other side, Valentin was super. Got up to 2600m where it was snowing a bit but the light was better. Skied down via Thuit and the blue home run.

Shrouded in mist my end of resort, I don't think I'll ski, tomorrow I can't. Forecast looks good for Friday.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
What a cracking day. Nice bit of snow last night, 12cm or so in resort and more higher. Light a bit flattish this morning but beautiful sunshine this afternoon. A couple more firsts for the season. Grand Couloir (Bellecombe black) has been open but looked bare and horrible. Good cover today so I had a run down it. The Diable black opened today. It hasn't been pisted at yet so one or two rocks and it was tough but nice.

Looking down Super Diable black
snow conditions
Looks better than whan I was there last year...you have snow ..I usually seem to hit that with boilerplate...very ...very jealous Mr. Green Mr. Green
snow report
It hasn't been like that all winter 😃

I was a bit late going up and missed the best of the sun. Snow was lovely and although there was no wind down here it was very windy higher and cold on the glacier. I kept a bit lower and after 2 the light flattened badly so I skied down to watch the end of thé Arsenal game 😄

Hordes flooding into resort it's going to be a busy week. Queue avoidance tactics required and I may get the touring skis out one day too.
snow report
Well it's busy but not that bad tbh. By being careful where you go and when queues can be avoided and I haven't seen any horrendous ones. Obviously ski from 12 to 2 when it's sacrosanct for the French to eat.

Today similar to yesterday, a bit of sun but increasing cloud and flat light with strongish winds high and in other places prone to it. Snow still pretty good.
latest report
@Claude B, your photo makes Super Diable black look so, erm, flat...which I know it ain't. Hope you are having a good season
ski holidays
@dobby, Thanks, I'll take it from the bottom next time 😋

What a beautiful day, sunshine and blue sky all day, pretty warm too. I skied a lot in about 5 hours today. Snow great but there are some huge moguls appearing in places 😮 Pretty busy on the pistes later this afternoon but I didn't really have any big queues.

Glacier at lunchtime

Gratuitous publicity shot
ski holidays
Enjoying the snow in Fee very much this week, horrendously busy getting back to resort though, best way is in the warm of piste snow. All in alll very good though Smile
latest report
@bigtoe, Fee resto is great too. I came down Valentin about 4.30 wasn't too bad, I imagine the blue would have been.

Looks like a repeat of yesterday, Sun about to appear from behind the mountain 😃
snow report
@Claude B, Yes so warm today, we came down the black under the diable which was good although a little bare in the middle In places.
The blue yesterday was horrible so I dropped of the side.
Cant see Fee Resto on the map? We have done most of the routes there and mess around between the piste where we can. We saw the black Pierre grosses is now open after a forced avalanche so looking to head there in the morning Smile
snow report
@bigtoe, sorry Chalet de la Fée thé restaurant. Diable black is mogul central now, yes a bit thin, I skied it a couple of times after they first opened it only recently. Had to look Pierre Grosses up!

Another beautiful warm blue sky day yesterday. Busy though, one or two queues at lifts but I don't think I queued more than 10 minutes. I tried to ski top to bottom, 3600 down to Mont de Lans 1350m but run down there was closed. Still a 2000m descent without a lift though. A couple of photos from the top.

ski holidays
Looks great! Bust knee means no skiing for me till next winter but if I'm mobile again might bring the kids for a play on the glacier in the summer.
snow conditions
I'll probably be here for most of the summer but I don't really ski, prefer hiking and biking.
snow report
I f*****g love Saturdays 😁 Almost always quiet and when the sun is shining what isn't there to like 😃 Quite cold this afternoon though and it goes without saying that we need more snow. Hordes arriving again all day, I've a friend driving over from ADH for the day Monday she could have a problem parking. She's french though they tend to park anywhere they like 😄

Couple of resto shots, ideal for sitting out.

snow conditions
Claude B wrote:
I'll probably be here for most of the summer but I don't really ski, prefer hiking and biking.

I won't be allowed skiing/boarding by then from what Jonathan Bell says but a bit of easy alpine hiking will hopefully be OK.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@davkt, Gentle hiking not that easy to find but I know a few routes 😃
snow report
I can think of a few flatish bits but if it happens any tips will be welcome!
latest report
@Claude B, ahh Fee restaurant , yes it is very nice, I think we are there 3 times for lunch:) lovely spot in the sun. We spent our last day in alp d-huez . What a difference the snow conditions where there, even at the top all the lovely snow we skied on last Friday and Saturday had turned to slush and refrozen. The only bit of snow left we found was on the right hand side on the way to Auris . Wish we had stayed at Les Duex for the Saturday ski now but a plan is a plan Smile
ski holidays
Awesome day today. Had a visitor a great skier, her parents have a place at AdH and she's skied all her life. Started at 10 and there were big queues at Diable but not too bad once we were up. Snow was lovely and blue sky all day but a cold wind higher up. We skied hard until 5.30 but she's french so we lunched hard too. After lunch we hit most of the blacks in the resort. I'm now physically knackered in a good way but mentally too after conversing in french all day. Early night beckons 😃
latest report
Great thread!
Me and a Friend are heading out on the 25th March for a week, so ages away!
lets hope for lots and lots of fresh snow to come down!

Guessing it being so high up that a good amount should still be open by then?
ski holidays
@rusty, thanks, always has been in the 10 years I've been coming.

Yesterday's efforts told so I went up for 3 hours from 11. Quieter, glacier in the clouds but still windy. Warm lower down and some pistes were pretty heavy going. I mainly skied the runs I never made it to yesterday and higher the snow was nice.
snow report
It's extremely hot on my balcony 😮 I shall go up later as today this takes place. It was cancelled last year as the tragic avalanched occurred that day 😥

snow conditions
That was a pretty painful experience. It started with the worlds largest lift queue funnelling into a tunnel in the dark. The descent of around 1000m took 2 hours, single file, in the cold, a lot of the time stationary. The run down the blue home run was treacherous. I got down at 9.15. I've heard on the grapevine the record wasn't broken. C'est la vie.

snow report
@Claude B, That sounds like a barrel of laughs [/obvious sarcasm]. I'm guessing you've done the full moon dinner and descent from the glacier. Now that's rather good fun, at least the one right at the end of the season is.
snow report
@moody_git, I never managed to do it. Every time I planned to it was cancelled. I believe they no longer do it.
snow report
Résultat final : 2602 participants donc il manquait 260 personnes pour battre le record et 400 pour atteindre nos objectifs.

In other words, 2602 took part, 260 short of current record and 400 short of target
snow report
They've stopped doing it? That's a real pity because the sensation of riding down the mountain (possibly half-cut)in a large pack, herded by pisteurs with torches to point the way is something to be experienced
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy