Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Deux Alpes 2016/17 inc useful links

Poster: A snowHead
Dumping here since the middle of the night, usually happens after everything closes 😃 Was going down to Grenoble but friend just rang she has a bad back, didn't really fancy the drive tbh.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Had huge storms and torrential rain here last couple of days, due to continue but worst over. Not much fun in resort but freezing level is pretty low, less than 2000m. Good news for summer skiing which starts in 6 weeks (earlier for race teams).
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I went for a hike up to the top of Vallée Blanche yesterday, 2100m. Could clearly see that it's still possible to ski down Crête, this was confirmed by friends who drove up there, skinned up to the glacier and skied back down. Lovely warm sunny day same again today.

snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bit of a hike here yesterday, 14km/700m. Lovely but my knees are suffering today.

Spent the weekend a bit further afield in Annecy at a friends. Really busy up there. Lake Saturday​ and a rando Sunday with 15 of her family and friends followed by the most enormous 5 course lunch in a mountains resto.

ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Claude B, heads up for you.

As I was riding yesterday saw various signs advising of road closures for next Sat for the Criterium du Dauphine - and on checking the route will have to make the trip over as they're going to be climbing up to ADH but via the Sarenne.

Should be really good (weather allowing) as will not be too rammed, especially with feckin camper vans as they will not be allowed up there.

http://www.letour.fr/criterium-du-dauphine/2017/us/stage-7.html
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Weathercam, Unfortunately I'm heading to Croatia next weekend so will miss it 😕 Mate has got us VIP tickets though for TdF over your way next month.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Claude B, not too sure where I'm going to watch the stage that finishes here, might go up to the Galibier on the MTB on the old trail as I can then avoid the roads. And then the next day the Izoard will be rammed, and that might be the stage to watch on TV.

I'm doing the Etape anyway so will have had my fill of the Izoard as I'll probably be doing a couple of training rides up it rolling eyes
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Weathercam, My mate worked for Cav's team last year and has VIP tickets for the finish in Monetier and start in Briancon the next day. Won't see them struggling up the climbs but mingling with them should be cool 😁
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Claude B, finish is here in La Salle, Villeneuve, opposite the Frejus Gondola and Frejus Hotel.

Evidently we're hosting a party afterwards on our terrace rolling eyes
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Weathercam, Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just waving a hand to say thanks for the constant updates and info on this thread. Pretty sure we're about to book for Christmas week so please keep up the commentary!

Jess.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@BigSouthernJesse, No problem I'll start a 2017/18 thread ready for Toussaint. Open then for 10 days prior to the winter season starting on 2nd December.

Just a taste of the sort of crazy things done here in summer. I watch these guys from my balcony, madness 😯

http://youtube.com/v/pvand7EkxEQ
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Very wet and cold in resort yesterday, torrential rain for much of the afternoon. Obviously snowing higher and once the cloud cleared .... Very Happy

The magnificent Muzelle just before sunset.

And this morning looking towards Diable, snowline about 2150m at a guess.

Both shots taken from my balcony, the view's not too shabby Very Happy

Was talking to a guy last night who'd been working on the glacier this week. He said that it was already looking much healthier and yesterday's snow would have helped even more. Snow cannons are being put up there and will start running in early October in time for opening again for 10 days at Toussaint.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Heavy rain during the night which woke me as it hammered on the roof. As it became light could see it was snow above about 2100m. Quite a bit more due this week.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Love those photos that show the green fading into the snowline
ski holidays
Does anyone know when vallee blanche will be open? The run outside our chalet heads down there so we'd like to ski down to the Petite Aiguille chair and then up the belle etoille for example. We're coming out on the 29th December.
snow report
@tango776, I'm guessing that they'll open it for the very busy New Year week. I suspect that there aren't enough punters to warrant opening it ATM
ski holidays
@dobby, thanks - that's what I am hoping for - the webcams look good and there is some more snow expected, fingers crossed!!
ski holidays
Not sure if anyone has mentioned this but there have been a few changes here for this season.
Firstly the top section of glaciers 8 man chair has been removed so only the first part to 2700m is left. This means the only way to the top is the jandri gondola and it was really busy.
Next the glacier has shrunk so much that it doesn’t reach the top of the lift station . You no longer go up the lifts but out the back and then have a walk to get to any piste.
Super venosc chair has gone so only limited access to the Vallee Blanche side now which is a shame especially on powder days.
Lastly there is a new loading ramp on the bottom of the jandri gondola , not sure why but I’m sure all will be revealed !
ski holidays
@honeybadger,

there is a gondola planned to replace the Jandri ski lift
Also supposed to be linking the resort to Alp D Heuz
snow report
I spoke TPS loftier and he said there may be another gondola but not certain yet so I guess that will take a few years at least. I thought the Alpe d’huez link was Just a myth that had been mooted for years?
snow conditions
@honeybadger, bit odd removing the top bit of Glaciers chair. Gondola will be heaving
ski holidays
Above post should say I spoke to a liftie (predictive text).
They have had problems with the glaciers chair for years. I have been stuck on it at least half a dozen times. I guess they hope it won’t break down as much but the top section has all gone . Until they put something else in the jandri gondola from 2600m will be the only way up. Today there was a long barriered queue which goes right round the inside of the gondola building rather than straight in like it used to.
ski holidays
@honeybadger, you've reminded me of the time I got stuck on it...shame though. Signal is a really nice area and I don't know if I'd be bothered to wait for the gondola. I suspect I'd end up playing around Toura.
ski holidays
On the subject of Toura, the two old lifts have gone and a new 8 man gone in.
Not sure I went up there last year so I assume it is has been done over the summer and it’s the rest of the 8 man removed from the top of glaciers lift.
snow report
Further update if anyone is interested.
Picked up a leaflet today which explains what the resort management are up to trying to update flow around the resort.
It says the super venosc chair has been removed to make way for a’construction project’ whatever that means. Whether a new lift will be part of that only time will tell.
Secondly it says that next season a new cable car will be installed it will be called the Pierre Gros cable car . Not sure exactly where it will run from and to but the lady who gave me the leaflet said it was going to the top of the resort. Pierre Gros runs are into Fee so guess it will run from Fee somewhere?
Lastly a new detachable 8 man is being installed on Crete’s to replace the slow one that is always such a bottleneck.
Lastly I wrongly said the remaining part of Glaciers chair only goes to 2700m which is wrong it goes to 2900m and the exit off it has been made more friendly rather than tipping you straight down a steep slope.
ski holidays
Got new J Ski Friends for Christmas but doubt fatties are gonna work Sad

Looking online, doesn’t look like L2A is gonna get much more than a dusting before we head off on the 19th...
snow report
What are the conditions like at the moment?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Anyone out and about at L2A? How's it looking?
ski holidays
No replies on this thread?
How are condriones at the mo atL2A? Thinking about a trip 7th April Is this crazy?
latest report
Currently in Les 2 Alpes. Conditions above 2100 fine, gets softer as the temps go up. For some reason the black and red runs to resort are closed - at least they were today, the green is very bare, the blue v slushy returning at 2:30pm. V windy up top today, glacier opened mid morning. Runs on valley Blanche side very wind blown and icey.
ski holidays
Came back yesterday from a week's skiing. Conditions generally were good on piste, though low down there was soggy snow. bBut there were some closures - and as noted above, that included the Valentin black (which had been open a few days earlier, and was closed for no obvious reason). The Toura lift was closed (I assume over a technical problem as the pistes were fine) and as noted elsewhere in sHs, the Jandri 1 lift stopped operating for quite a period.

Compared to previous years, the lift service is reduced. The upper leg of the Glacier lift has gone, IIRC to replace the older chair at the Toura (I get the irony). Also gone is the Telecabine that used to link the Cretes with Jandri 2, and, for the Vallee Blanche the Super Venosc chair. The latter caught me out: I set off from the Red Frog to go skiing at the VB - took me a while to realise that the lift I was walking to wasn't there. Les Deux Alpes remains a great area to ski, but I hope the lift system gets better again. I gather there are plans for it to do so.
ski holidays
out of interest how much is an early bird season lift pass?
ski holidays
Mother hucker wrote:
out of interest how much is an early bird season lift pass?
I think I paid about £650 last year
ski holidays
Considering LDA for old gits' hols in 2020. Slightly concerned about the lack of lifts to get up the mountain from Cretes. Where have they all gone? Are they any more planned for 2019-2020?
snow conditions
Apologies all - I am a dullard at times. A quick search of the Internet revealed the lift plans. If anyone knows how the lift building is going, would be good to know. https://www.2alpesnet.com/news/long-term-plans-2018-2023-2-alpes-722106
latest report
There is an enormous amount of work going on up there atm. I walked half way up the Demoiselles a while ago and was engulfed by the dust thrown up by enormous earth movers driving up. One tumbled down off the side last week due to an inattentive driver who was lucky to escape serious injury.

The new Pierre Grosse gondola is on track I believe and this will relieve last year's pressure on the Jandri Express.

The first stage if the glacier 8 man chair is being moved to Cretes to replace the old 4 man. Also on track I believe.

The new Super Venosc lift isn't going ahead this year (the old one was removed last summer). Shame as Vallee Blanche is not as accessible or big without it.
snow report
@Claude B, thanks. Good to see the lift building that is going on. Fee sector is gong to be a lot busier...well one bit is anyway. Shame about the super venosc. I love the Vallee Blanche when the conditions are right. Vallee Blanche looking pretty puny on the runs front this coming year.
ski holidays
Is the road fully open from Italy ..I am thinking of driving there on my way back from the Dolomites in January
latest report
@DaveD, It is, subject to weather conditions of course. Col de Lauteret, 2100m, is the pinch point. Easy enough to check conditions before setting out.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy