Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria: Zell am See, Kaprun, Kitzsteinhorn snow report 2016/17

Poster: A snowHead
Though I'm not sure that I really want to start skiing in October, now that my season pass is valid from the 15th I felt morally obliged to get onto the slopes. So yesterday I began my season on the Kitzsteinhorn at Kaprun, without any too high expectations. Things didn't look promising as I took the Gletscherjet 2 gondola up from Langwied to the Alpincenter, looking out at the off-piste area on the left and the Black Mamba piste to the right - it was still summer there...

However, from the top of the gondola at the Alpincenter the snow looked better...

The skiing available was pretty restricted. Really only the pistes on the Kitz glacier (on the left in the photo below) and the run from there down to the Alpincenter were open. However, a couple of piste bashers were working on the Maurer glacier (on the right in the photo), so I expect that might be opened up soon...

Nevertheless I had quite a good day's skiing. The snow was mostly hard-packed, with a few icy patches where the snow had been scraped away, e.g. on the steeper sections of the Kitz glacier piste, shown below...

Although there were groups doing training and classes learning, the slopes were not at all busy. No lift queues. Some extra interest was provided by seeing what progress had been made on the new Schmiedinger lift, an 8-seat chairlift replacing the double T-bar that was there previously. There is still work to be done but the lift is planned to open in November. Here's a photo of the bottom station...

...and one of the upper station, taken from the Gletscherjet 4 gondola...

A pleasant day's skiing if not wildly exciting and certainly better than cutting the grass at home (and today it is raining here, so maybe more snow on the glacier) Laughing
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Here is a further report from the Kitzsteinhorn at Kaprun, where I skied today with John Barr. The past week did bring some more snow - winter is coming Very Happy. Here's a photo taken out of the the Gletscherjet 2 gondola to compare with last week's one above...

Still not skiable but improving. The general view looked better too, here taken from above Piste 1 on a chair of the Gletscherjet 3 combi lift...

As you can see we had good weather with sun, though you can't see that the Föhn wind blew quite strongly all day, blasting snow around. The snow was a bit softer than last week. The slopes were busier this week but still no big lift queues. Quite a number of the skiers are in training groups of one sort or another, so spend a good deal of time just standing around. Here's a group at race training at the top of the Kitz glacier...

This week the T-bar on the Maurer glacier was running, so that also spread the crowds a bit and added variety to the skiing. A good day's skiing.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have had another two days skiing on the Kitzsteinhorn this week. Yesterday the weather was mixed. It looked promising to start with and now there was snow right down to Langwied, although skiing (if you weren't touring) was restricted to above the Alpincenter. However, compared to previous visits, the Sonnenkar I chairlift was operating, adding some more variety to the runs. Snow was good. Here is the view from Langwied...

However, it wasn't long until it clouded over and started snowing lightly. The light was poor then and my skiing suffered. This photo shows the middle station of the Gletscherjet 3 and 4...

Luckily, the weather improved again for a while from midday. Here is the top of the Maurer T-bar with the Kitzsteinhorn in the background...

There were some pretty professional freestyle skiers training on the Maurer slopes, teams from Russia and elsewhere. I didn't capture any photo of a somersault but here's a jumper...

With the better visibility, my skiing improved a bit again - but not that far Laughing

I finished the day quite early but on the way home stopped in Zell am See to take a photo of the Areitbahn I gondola, for those more interested in that area. Although the lifts aren't operating yet in Zell, there is snow there - and one skier has even skied down...

It has been reported that this lift is to be replaced next summer by a 10 seater gondola with greater capacity. That should reduce the queues which sometimes build up there at busy times, though I suspect you will still have to get out of the lift to change over to the Areitbahn II to reach the top of the Schmittenhöhe.

Today johnbarr and I were on the Kitzsteinhorn pistes again and this time it was sunny but also quite cold and windy - you can see the snow being blown from the tops in this photo...

Here is a view of the final section of piste 1 leading down to the Alpincenter...

Both yesterday and today there were snow cannons working all around, today with the advantage that they were turned away from the pistes where they had yesterday blasted me in the face. Here's one at the top of the Sonnenkar I chairlift, looking over to the Schmiedinger area...

The new Schmiedinger 8-seat chairlift was being tested but the piste hadn't been prepared yet. John and I skiied over there but I found the deeper snow challenging, my skis going submarine at times...

And here's a picture of the bottom station of the new lift (with the Sonnenkar I lift right behind it)...

Other news of plans in the Kaprun/Kitsteinhorn area is that there is talk of building a lift or lifts connecting the Maiskogel area at Kaprun to the Kitzsteinhorn area at the Alpincenter. As far as I know, there is no definite date yet for the implementation of this development. Even further in the future it is rumoured that there might be a lift connection between Kaprun and Zell am See.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Webcams show it snowing this morning. Anybody there?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Not there today but it is snowing in Fieberbrunn, about 3cm overnight at 860m. Wettish.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
http://portal.live-panorama.com/player_clips.php?cam=8

These trees haven't had snow on them for weeks so it looks like it's more than just a light dusting. Delighted as we are heading over on Saturday snowHead
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Here is a two centre report, for today I skied on the Kitzsteinhorn in the morning and then moved over to the Schmittenhöhe at Zell am See for the afternoon.

This was another fine day, with pure blue skies and sun. In the sun there was some warmth but it was pretty chilly in the shade on the glacier. And about half the mountain was in shadow. One reason I had gone back to the Kitzsteinhorn even though other areas are now open was because I wanted to try out the new Schmiedinger chairlift which opened a couple of weeks ago, replacing the double T-bar that was there before. The chairlift seems quite short, presumably because it runs a good deal faster than the old T-bars. However, it is certainly more comfortable. Here it is, in the shade...

Other parts of the mountain were in the sun, though, and the skiing was good. The snow was probably the best I have seen this winter, mostly soft on the pistes instead of very hard-packed. Here's a view looking down piste 14, the Black Mamba, to the Langwied area with Zell am See in the distance in the background...

Virtually all the pistes were open now, although there is still little snow cover off-piste. The slopes were very quiet. After lunch at the Alpincenter I skied down to Langwied on piste 11 and then drove over to the Areitbahn gondola at Zell am See. This was the view of piste 4 by that lift...

Only a restricted number of lifts were running and nothing was open on the Sonnalm side of the ski area. Mind you, as this photo shows, the higher pistes over there look reasonable enough (from a distance - here taken while skiing down to the valley on piste 13). The Schmitten area was also very quiet, so I expect the Sonnalm area will be opened when the Christmas rush arrives.

This information board shows what lifts and pistes were open today...

And here is a view looking down to Zell am See from near the top of the trassXpress gondola...

The snow on the Schmitten was generally very good although largely still artificial snow. I had expected it to be more icy but didn't have any problems on the valley runs 13 and 14. I only blotted my copybook about 100 metres from the end of piste 4 on my run back down to the car. That piste was pretty icy, or at least scraped and polished, and not so pleasant to ski.

However, it had been an excellent day in both areas, with snow better than I had imagined.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Great updates, thanks. Keep them coming. Great to see the photos.

Looking forward to my trip in early February. snowHead
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@espri, Looking good, vastly better than this time last year! I've stayed in Zell after xmas till post new year for the last two, one good year, one bad on the snow front.
Staying in Kaprun this time around and arrive on the 31st can't wait. Fingers crossed there is some snow between now and then.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Great report. Thanks.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@espri, thank you for this report, you have given enormous joy to 6 slightly worried folk. We head out to ZaS on 22nd for 10 days Very Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Avago, glad to help!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm expecting loads of proper snow by I get there for Feb half term, but glad to see the snow cannons are working!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm expecting loads of proper snow by I get there for Feb half term, but glad to see the snow cannons are working!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@espri, thanks so much for the report,off to Kaprun Saturday and looks like its going to be OK!!
latest report
We're headed out on Saturday too, staying near the bottom of the Trass Xpress etc so the the snow report from Schmitten is most welcome. Hopefully they will open up the sunny side this weekend. It certainly looks ok on the webcams and the cannons were going all day yeasterday.
latest report
As a postscript to my report yesterday, here's another photo which I forgot to include. There is a new hut/restaurant on the Schmitten at Zell am See: the Eder Hütte. It is at the side of piste 9a, near the Kapellenbahn chairlift - in the foreground of the photo (and not far from the Kettingalm hut)...

I haven't tried it but its website makes it sound attractive: http://www.schmitten.at/en/dining/eder-huette (the website also has links to other eateries on the Schmitten).
snow report
We skied a long half day at Schmitten today and I have to say I was really pleasantly surprised at the condition of the pistes. Not too busy either and very few boarders which pleased me no end. We tried the Eider Hutte (above) for lunch but it was rammed and much smaller inside than it looks from the from the outside. Instead we carried on to the Kettingalm (in the distance) and the food was great. The portions were massive so we ordered too much, never mind.

The "sunny" side had its moments in terms of icy patches but so did the run down to Schuttdorf. That said I loved every minute of today and can't wait for the rest of the week.
ski holidays
espri wrote:
As a postscript to my report yesterday, here's another photo which I forgot to include. There is a new hut/restaurant on the Schmitten at Zell am See: the Eder Hütte. It is at the side of piste 9a, near the Kapellenbahn chairlift - in the foreground of the photo (and not far from the Kettingalm hut)...

I haven't tried it but its website makes it sound attractive: http://www.schmitten.at/en/dining/eder-huette (the website also has links to other eateries on the Schmitten).

I saw that advertised somewhere the other day and thought at first they had re-built the Kettingalm but obviously not. Struck me as a strange place for a new hut but the Kettingalm was always rammed and the Pinzgauer Hutte too much faff apart from for lunch so hopefully sufficient trade for all. I presume the little schuss down to the road to the Kettingbahn is still there but in between them?
latest report
KennyEverett wrote:
We skied a long half day at Schmitten today and I have to say I was really pleasantly surprised at the condition of the pistes. Not too busy either and very few boarders which pleased me no end. We tried the Eider Hutte (above) for lunch but it was rammed and much smaller inside than it looks from the from the outside. Instead we carried on to the Kettingalm (in the distance) and the food was great. The portions were massive so we ordered too much, never mind.

The "sunny" side had its moments in terms of icy patches but so did the run down to Schuttdorf. That said I loved every minute of today and can't wait for the rest of the week.

Good to hear! I'm not out till 28th January so far from worried but it would be nice to have a winter where its a sure thing already. Sounds like the November snow didn't die in vain and the base is solid?
snow report
robboj wrote:
I presume the little schuss down to the road to the Kettingbahn is still there but in between them?

Yes, indeed.
snow report
The sun made a significant appearance today and it was very welcome as it felt cold first thing. The cloud cover disappeared by lunchtime and we even encountered some spring like slush on the run to Schuttdorf. The local forecast is bluebird days tomorrow and Wednesday then some uncertainty. The pistes are being looked after fantastically so anyone coming over Xmas has nothing to worry about.

We are going to venture up to the Kitzsteinhorn tomorrow after hearing some very good first hand reports today. Never been there so really looking forward to it. snowHead
ski holidays
We've had 2 bluebird days in a row but the pistes don't seem to be suffering at all. At the Kitz yesterday there was far more snow than in the pics above and the Black Mambo was in good condition.

Today on the Schmittenhoe we had spring like conditions with some of the sunnier slopes getting fairly slushy towards the end of the day. That said the overall condition is great considering the lack of snowfall. I think even the new year skiers will have good conditions especially if the predicted few centimetres comes to pass.
ski holidays
How is the "new" piste off the back of the sonnkogel, it look like it should be a good long cruising red.
snow report
Shut I'm afraid. The new gondola was operating yesterday when we passed but not open to use. We will have another run past at some point today for another look.

It runs off the back of the Sonnengratbahn btw
snow conditions
@KennyEverett, I wonder why? My initial thought when I read your last was that surely they put snow cannons in as they built it? But then thought that maybe they didn't as it shouldn't need it?
snow conditions
http://viehhofen-mittelstation.live-panorama.com/ this is a webcam set up at the bottom of that "new" piste. If you look at the early morning images you can see it is pisted but cover looks a little thin at the mo. I reckon it will possibly open for new year I hope as I'd like to try it.
snow report
The "official opening" of the new zellamseeXpress lift has taken place (reported here in German: http://seilbahn.net/sn/index.php?i=60&kat=1&news=7593&titel=Er%F6ffnung%20des%20zellamseeXpress:%20Schmitten%20startet%20in%20neue%20Ski-Dimension) but it isn't in normal operation yet. Maybe next week or perhaps it does need more snow.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
robboj wrote:
@KennyEverett, I wonder why? My initial thought when I read your last was that surely they put snow cannons in as they built it? But then thought that maybe they didn't as it shouldn't need it?

I guess as at the moment its just a 'down and back' it doesn't "need" cannon cover as if you cant ski it, its not preventing you getting to anywhere else in the piste system. Once its an official link into Saalbach then it may get upgraded and armed with cannons.

Forgive my naming convention, I was trying to think what that side of the mountain is called (non Schmitten!) rather than specific lifts. I'm out in Feb so it should be fully open by then!

Is my memory right in that you can get a 6/7 day ski pass that covers Zell as well as Saalbach/Hinterglemm and it isn't much more expensive than getting just the regular Zell/Kaprun pass?

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Thu 22-12-16 17:00; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
@t44tomo, Salzburg Superski Card, it's 10-20 euro more and covers 25 ski "regions" inc the Zillertal for 2016/17 http://www.salzburgsuperskicard.com/en/25-skiregions
latest report
Cheers @AthersT, that sounds worthwhile, keeps the option open to ski down the new piste / old X4 trail and bus into S/H ski circus for the rest of a day and ski bus back to Zell at the end of the day. not sure the other 23 regions will get a visit.
snow report
@AthersT, SSC includes Zillertal Arena not any other resorts in the Zillertal valley and has been like this for some years.
ski holidays
espri wrote:
The "official opening" of the new zellamseeXpress lift has taken place (reported here in German: http://seilbahn.net/sn/index.php?i=60&kat=1&news=7593&titel=Er%F6ffnung%20des%20zellamseeXpress:%20Schmitten%20startet%20in%20neue%20Ski-Dimension) but it isn't in normal operation yet. Maybe next week or perhaps it does need more snow.

It's quite possible that snow conditions are not as good at the top as they are on the Viehofen webcam. We've had a serious temp inversion here all week. First thing on a morning you actually feel it getting colder as you ski into the valley. They may have been able to blow snow at the bottom but it's way too warm up top. Still closed today according to interactive map.

Much more cloud about this morning but we had the same on Monday and by lunchtime it had given way to blue skies. I hope that happens again as it's our last day today. It's been a great week considering the conditions elsewhere in Europe.
latest report
Merry Christmas. First tracks this morning on Kitzsteinhorn. 10-15cms fell overnight. Minus 8C. Only complaint would be lack of visibility, but I'm not complaining! Kaprun town is a skating rink. Lashing rain on icy roads. Forecast is for more snow then sunny for the rest of the week. Happy holidays snowHead
snow report
@hilary t, I'm looking for a last minute ski break. Found decent flights to Munich then would rent a car. Where are conditions most favourable at the moment?
latest report
@Ricklovesthepowder, Check espris report in the ski amade thread. Have just returned from maria alm skiing all of the hochkonig area top to bottom and with the cooler temps lower down the lower runs are in good shape. I had a great time and they have just had a little more snow. It was very quite which obviously helped. Heading to schladming on 7th and they do an awesome job with pistes there so that would be a good option.
Good luck
snow report
KennyEverett wrote:
Shut I'm afraid. The new gondola was operating yesterday when we passed but not open to use. We will have another run past at some point today for another look.

It runs off the back of the Sonnengratbahn btw

It looks from the website that it's now open, which is good news......
snow report
It was about 10:00 when I arrived at Zell am See today, so I was hardly surprised to find a long queue (10-15 mins) for the Areitbahn I gondola. However, you could read up about the replacement for that lift coming for next season...

That should certainly speed the uplift on the first section but I fear that the queues for the following lifts, Areitbahn II or Glocknerbahn will still be there. This was the queue for the Glocknerbahn today (it went through quite quickly)...

Though these first impressions weren't too positive, I had little trouble with lift queues after that (only one more 10-15 minute wait at the Kapellenbahn chairlift in the afternoon). At most other lifts there was virtually no queuing, e.g. at the trassXpress down the bottom of pistes 13 and 14 or over on the "sunny" side.

I soon moved over to the Sonnenseite. In general the snow was again pretty hard-packed and with spots that were like polished marble, though you could find softer bits here and there. Particularly on the "sunny" side you also had to watch out for grassy bits showing through, as you can see in this photo taken up from the bottom of the Sonnengrat chairlift, where pistes 11 and 12 meet...

As you can see, the pistes were busy, again not unexpected. But you could find more space on some pistes. One main aim for my visit to the Zell area was to try out the new zellamseeXpress gondola, the lift which will eventually (probably in 2018/19) be part of the link to Viehhofen (near Saalbach) in the Glemmtal. Presently the lift goes only as far as what will later be the middle station. I wasn't sure that the run and lift would be open but today it was. Here's a photo of the top station (alongside the top station of the Sonnengrat chair)...

And it was certainly worth a visit. I imagine that with fresh snow the piste (currently classified as ski route X4 but very pisted today) would be a dream. It is mostly moderately steep and somewhat narrow at places. Today, despite the many snow cannons active along the piste, it was typically hard with icy spots. There were also places where small stones were on the snow. It was, however, still a good ski. You could even see all the way to the Fieberbrunn ski area - strange to think that they were be linked in a couple of years time. Here are a couple of photos of the run, the second looking down towards the lower station and the Glemmtal...

The final run of my day was again piste 4 down to Schüttdorf and the bottom of the Areitbahn I. And that was again hard work with a hard and often scraped piste. However, I survived this time unblemished and ended an interesting day's skiing.
latest report
Good photo's espri, the Areitbahn is always bad for queues in peak weeks and I think youre right, the new gondola will concentrate the queue a bit higher up that side in the mornings until everyone gets up the mountain, I assume they will then try to upgrade the A2.

Best tip we got when there last year for half term, and will be using again this year, was get there for 8.30 - we were city express as in town- and then have the first run of the day down "standard 13" and then either get Trass express and do a run or two on the breikteckbahn before heading to sunny side/ sonnenalm, or head straight to sonnenalm and only head back over the other side after 11am.

Looking forward to the 'new' x4, looks and sounds great.

Let its snow!
ski holidays
Snowing like a bee-hatch at the moment in Zell per web cams. Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy