Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Morzine/Avoriaz - A few questions

Poster: A snowHead
Just booked to go to Portes Du Soleil in January. However trying to do it on a slight budget and manged to get a good deal on an apartment at the bottom of the Prodains Express which I understand is a way out of town. This is fine, it will be used just as somewhere to sleep and is ideally located to explore the skiing in Avoriaz and over to Switzerland.

However, Being a group of mid twenties lads we will want to head out to some bars in the evenings so my main question really is about getting to and from Les Prodains from Morzine itself. Are there any taxi services covering the area? Is it too far to walk back after a few too many beers? (not in ski boots obviously) Don't mind paying for taxis as it will not be every night we go out on the wee wee, but at least 3 or 4 out of the 7.

Can't wait, haven't used my skis for over 2 years since I lived in New Zealand!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's about 4 kilometres allowing for road wiggling. Further than even I would walk for beer.

Taxi services next to or non-existent I would imagine (I do not know for sure these days).

Bubble to Avoriaz times here http://www.skipass-avoriaz.com/domaine.html

Have you booked already? I'd be looking for somewhere else, myself...

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 10-11-16 18:11; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
lovely area, very quiet. https://www.morznet.com/travel/taxis/taxi-morzine will do you a deal if you ask!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Way too far to walk, but there are taxis running out of Morzine. There's also some decent apres at Kinkerne next to the prodains lift.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@coddlesangers, @doddsie, are the taxis better than around Chamonix?

"Sure, I can pick you up from the pub but I don't work later than 10:00pm and after hours there's a €50 surcharge"
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Don't rely on taxis in the area. They are vanishingly rare, and calling them doesn't work either. Prodains is very quiet indeed - I wouldn't stay there if you want any night life at all. If going out in Morzine I'd pre-book; but you still have to get there.

If it's après you're interested in rather than nightlife, you can stay in Prodains and stay up in Avoriaz for après ski: the Prodains express stays open to get people down in the evening. Smash the après, have a dinner, go to bed and get up to ski early (Prodains express is a great lift for getting into the PDS ski area). Night life in Prodains is non-existent. There is also an après bar (Austrian theme?!) in what used to be a fairly quiet restaurant at the end of the village. It's good fun, but not that mental.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Harry Flashman wrote:
Don't rely on taxis in the area. They are vanishingly rare, and calling them doesn't work either. Prodains is very quiet indeed - I wouldn't stay there if you want any night life at all. If going out in Morzine I'd pre-book; but you still have to get there.

If it's après you're interested in rather than nightlife, you can stay in Prodains and stay up in Avoriaz for après ski: the Prodains express stays open to get people down in the evening. Smash the après, have a dinner, go to bed and get up to ski early (Prodains express is a great lift for getting into the PDS ski area). Night life in Prodains is non-existent. There is also an après bar (Austrian theme?!) in what used to be a fairly quiet restaurant at the end of the village. It's good fun, but not that mental.

If I'm honest the main reason we're going is to go skiing, and we seem to be located in a good position for that. If apres is good in Avoriaz and easy to get back from then that is perfect, I'm not one for staying out till the small hours when I could spend more time skiing the next day rather than nursing a hangover. I'm sure it'll be fine, I'm sure one proper night out in Morzine will suffice, and we will find a way home somehow - bus there and book a taxi back, and if that fails we'll have to walk!

Cheers for the help everyone
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If it's apres ski you're after then Prodains will be fine - provided you avoid the terrible 'Austrian' apres bar in Prodains. You can either bubble up to Avoriaz (or apres direct from the slopes and just bubble down) or bus in to Morzine. The bubble runs until 9pm most nights, 10pm on Sundays, and midnight Fri/Sat. The last free bus back from Morzine sets off just before 9pm. Either way that's plenty of time for apres ski, a meal, and a drink stock-up at the supermarket.

If it's apres-apres ski you're after then you'll be looking at taxis.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
patchb wrote:
I'm sure it'll be fine, I'm sure one proper night out in Morzine will suffice, and we will find a way home somehow - bus there and book a taxi back, and if that fails we'll have to walk!

Be careful, people have frozen to death trying to walk home after a skinful on a skiing holiday.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I used to live in Prodains and have only walked back to Prodains once in the winter. A long long walk up a steep road at the end of the night is not a fun way to finish the evening in my book. Mjit has got it right regarding the free Navette's to/from Morzine and the telecabin to/from Avoriaz.
The Taxi's in Morzine are a bit rubbish but do exist. I'd say use the free Navette to get down into Morzine and a pre-booked taxi back up to Prodain a couple of nights and a late telecabin back down from Avoriaz maybe another night or two.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Tubaski wrote:
patchb wrote:
I'm sure it'll be fine, I'm sure one proper night out in Morzine will suffice, and we will find a way home somehow - bus there and book a taxi back, and if that fails we'll have to walk!

Be careful, people have frozen to death trying to walk home after a skinful on a skiing holiday.

In all seriousness, this is a very good point.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
All transfer companies do per booked taxis and are reliable. Including us to book please call 0450044976.

Andy
Ski Transfers
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@patchb, your only problem really is that if you screw up your connection, it's going to be really, really expensive.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'd probably do as others have suggested and have a few apres in Avoriaz and get the Prodains back down, and look for one full night out in Morzine with a pre-arranged taxi/mini bus back.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

^^^ this

4km is a huge distance to walk in the depths of winter popped up after a big night out. Pre-book yourselves a taxi from Morzine, or just apres in Avoriaz. Don't chance the walk.
latest report
I once gave a lift to a bunch of very drunk chaps to Prodains, who I found wandering the road having missed the last bus back. It's a long, cold walk, and as others have said, potentially dangerous depending on the weather.
snow conditions
http://en.morzine-avoriaz.com/transport-taxi-1.html
snow report
What a load of poo-poo! There are LOADS OF TAXIS you just need to pre book- use mountain bus company, A 2Ski, Action transfers to name a few.

I live there and use them all the time. Very reasonable, reliable and easy to book.
snow report
@Nadenoodlee, can you send some to Chamonix please?
snow report
I think Avoriaz has better nightlife than Morzine anyway, so make the most of the midnight telecabine on Fri and Sat nights. When I worked in Avoriaz we often tobogganed down to get the 1am (in those days) cable-car back up. If you're sensibleish (a full-moon helps), and look out for each other this could be the highlight of your night out! Madeye-Smiley (ok it's been made illegal now due to winch grooming, but there's no one to police it...) Shocked
snow report
Prodains has a couple of hotels with bars plus a simple restaurant/bar called the Cable with pool table, table football and does decent pizzas.
I've a chalet in Prodains that I use five weeks of the year. We tend to mix it up a bit between Morzine (bus in, taxi out), Avoriaz and Prodains. Agreed, Prodains isn't for those wanting to party party but it's brilliant as a base if you're there primarily for the skiing.
snow conditions
Prodains has a couple of hotels with bars plus a simple restaurant/bar called the Cable with pool table, table football and does decent pizzas.
I've a chalet in Prodains that I use five weeks of the year. We tend to mix it up a bit between Morzine (bus in, taxi out), Avoriaz and Prodains. Agreed, Prodains isn't for those wanting to party party but it's brilliant as a base if you're there primarily for the skiing.
ski holidays
Hi all, would anybody here know of anywhere in Morzine that rents Sunday-Sunday? (Jan 15th-22nd) Have a group of 6 people we booked flights into Geneva at a good price but have no found it hard to get any accommodation as nearly all seem to do Saturday changeovers. We would be looking for self catering with a central location in Morzine. Thanks in advance!
latest report
Have you tried mountain highs? Also the little mountain chalet company might be flexible @hullabulloo,
latest report
Where would one do apres in Avoriaz? We're there from wednesday, based in Morzine which where we usually go for apres after going down the supermorzine link. I fancy trying Avoriaz for once and use the Prodain lift back down..
Although it just occured to me that while teh lift might close at midnight, the shuttles might stop earlier...
PS: I should add that we enjoy lively après Toofy Grin
snow report
The DiXie Micks are back in Morzine at the Dixie bar from Tuesday (tomorrow), they are on at 6:30 well worth popping down for
snow report
@Kruisler, Shooters, Globetrotter, The Place. Anyway it takes 10 mins to walk from the top of the main drag to the bottom, so just try them all! Twisted Evil The shuttle stop at 6ish, but if you're not too drunk or lairy you'll find someone in the 12pm bubble to give you a lift down, or pre-order a Morzine cab.
ski holidays
@shep,
Thanks!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy