Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Innsbruck/Tirol Snow Conditions 2016/17

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
@nozawaonsen, indeed - hard not to have a good time in the mountains when it's this lovely!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The gorgeous clear blue skies filled in with clouds last night, and I woke to a bit of light snow in the city. I can't imagine much will have accumulated, maybe a cm or two will have refreshed pistes slightly if we're lucky.

Now the skies have cleared again and glorious sunshine is the order of the day.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Kitzbuhel yesterday: lovely and grippy on upper slopes, but sharpen you edges: very scraped off pistes by afternoon. Overall good cover ie, didn't have to walk across roads on Ashau side Happy Top of Hahnenkamm a beautiful blue icefest, but managed it (not realising easier track to side - first timer ) Talk about facing your demons! Confused
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Looks like tempatures are going to rise in skiwelt this week plus no snow in over a week, is this going to be a disaster for us heading out there 11 febuary? has anyone heard if we have anything on the cards for the next week or two,? Sad
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@jayo, I'm off out there Saturday so I'll try to keep you posted on this thread re conditions.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@jayo, for piste skiing I wouldn't worry at all - if anything slightly warmer weather could lead to nicer and softer pistes. It would take something seriously dramatic (and there's nothing like that in the forecast as far as I can see) for conditions to become disastrous!!

Definitely is warmer today, but it's actually quite nice to feel the sun down here in the city after some baltic weather lately! Snow offpiste on the southern facing slopes is visibly declining, but everything else (and everything on piste) seems absolutely fine.

Hopefully I'll find time tomorrow to get up the hill and see what the snow is really like.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Weather is still absolutely gorgeous, clear blue skis and sunny and spring-like (during the day - still FREEZING when the sun goes down!).

Went for a few laps at Nordkette yesterday afternoon (totally south-facing). Snow was generally very nice, soft grippy and some fun slushy turns in places. Where the softened layer had been scraped off it was VERY slippy - within about 15 minutes I saw two people lose an edge on the (short but steep) black run and slide ~100 metres before stopping (no injuries).

It was possible to ski back down to Hungerburg but getting boney, and as I had brand new skis on I didn't bother.

From what I can tell on webcams it seems like most resorts in the area have solid top to bottom coverage on piste; offpiste is very variable and finding good snow will be a challenge. More snow is definitely needed - as the Tirol LWD said:

Quote:
In all of Tirol’s backcountry touring regions there are below average amounts of snow. In addition, summit and crest regions are often windblown or the surface is wind-compresses and hardened. Most of all in inneralpine regions and along the Main Alpine Ridge, the fundament between 2000 and 2800m is weak: interspersed between hardened crusts deeply embedded inside the snowpack are layers of loose, unbonded, faceted-crystal snow.

Saying that, the old snow avalanche problem does seem to be receding somewhat... Still there on steep shady slopes above ~2000m but officially now level 2 rather than 3.

Looks like snow should/could be on the cards moving into February:

However right now I need to go pack for a flying work trip to Japan Very Happy Back next weekend just in time for ISPO (flying visit indeed!) - I hope anyone skiing in Tirol this coming week has a great time and enjoys the glorious weather!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@clarky999, your assessment is spot on for skiwelt. Piste coverage is good, but off piste v sketchy. Proper snow report tomorrow when I is sober Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Saturday. Couple of hours in Going. V quiet. Nice area to get your ski legs back.
Sunday. Warm and sunny. Pootled over to brixen but spent most of day in scheffau area. Quite busy. South facing slopes sugary/slushy and got cut up quickly. Runs down to Scheffau lovely.
Monday. Warm and sunny in morning but clouded over in afternoon. Went to westendorf. Once again, brixen runs slushy/lumpy. Liked skiing in westendorf. Runs at the back of westendorf were a lot longer than they appeared on the map. Great run back to westendorf village/cable car. Pistes holding up well but a few westendorf runs were getting a bit sketchy. Often better to stick to reds and blacks because blues getting cut up. Snow forecast tomorrow....
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Late report for last week. High temperatures meant that pistes got cut-up. North facing runs tended to be sugar-over-ice, while south-facing runs were slushy. Pistes lovely for an hour or so first thing in the morning. Still a reasonable amount of snow coverage on piste, but most off piste looked sketchy by Thursday-Friday.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy