Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix 16/17

Poster: A snowHead
Some good skiing on the Italian side of the Valley Blanche Monday (getting a bit grim at the Mer de Glace end), good skiing down from the Col du Passon Tuesday, but a lot of tiresome bushwhacking at the end, and super spring snow down from the Col du Tour Noir Wednesday. The skiing down to the Argentiere glacier was chalky and pleasant last week (well it was when we went down), and the face of GM has been good.

Will report back on Le Tour after a day with my daughter tomorrow.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@HammondR, top week.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Skied Le Tour this afternoon with my daughter. Once you get over the fact that it looks like summer up there, and that there is a lot of flora on show it was not too bad. Almost without exception the off piste was skiing much better than the pistes. In particular, the off piste skiers right of the Tete du Balme lift, right over to the "back bowls" was fantastic down to the trees above the lift. All a bit trying for the last 10/15%.

@jbob,
I went to bed for 24 hours after Friday. Felt a lot older than 58!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@HammondR, it all seems so very far away.
Good you're keeping the end up.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I was at Le Tour yesterday and agree it was well worth the trip, after looking pretty bare from the car park!
Very nice Spring conditions off piste, and pretty much deserted.
Trying GM this morning.

Thinking of skiing VB on Wed, but saw the post above about grim conditions at Mer de Glace end, and wondered if it's going to be more of a chore than enjoyable at the moment?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
footsoldier wrote:

Thinking of skiing VB on Wed, but saw the post above about grim conditions at Mer de Glace end, and wondered if it's going to be more of a chore than enjoyable at the moment?

If you're fit and sure footed you can avoid it by using the via ferata ladders to climb out!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
GM today for us, then a mooch around Cham.

Spring snow off le tour was lovely, better than piste by far.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi All - glad to hear that there's some good stuff still to be had - we are heading out on Friday. Ski touring with Mountain Tracks so I am sure they'll hand pick destinations by conditions.

Slightly off topic, does anybody know of a heated pool / jacuzzi / sauna complex in Cham centre that can be used in the evenings? Perhaps a nice hotel's that we can pay to use.

Is Snell sports the biggest / best stocked shop for equipment in town?

Thanks!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I (and friends) tend to use the Aiglons spa - really nice.

http://www.aiglons.com/en/chamonix-spa/

Equipment - I normally go to Concept first, as the staff are more knowledgeable I've found than Snell (plus they have a bar!) - then Snell if concept don't have what I need.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@footsoldier,
If you are fancying the VB, don't let misery guts @HammondR, put you off. It's just a bit more of a walk, and the hot slog up the stairs is always more bother than it's worth anyway. Friends skied the Gros Rognon yesterday and said it was most enjoyable.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@fixx thanks for the info. I'll check those out.

How's the Easter weather looking for Cham?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@capability, I believe if you lunch at Maison Carrier you can use the spa.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
under a new name wrote:
@capability, I believe if you lunch at Maison Carrier you can use the spa.

yeah, you can, although you don't get much change from a hundred euros Shocked
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Flegere getting hard to justify the effort

snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@eddiethebus, € 75 menu du jour, spa & 30 mins treatment according to sis-in-law
ski holidays
We arrive tomorrow morning... Is Brevent any better? Or best to just head straight to Le Tour or Grand Montents areas?
ski holidays
@ejayAD, head to Grands Montets.
snow report
Courmayeur is still worth a punt

snow report
For a bit longer drive Pila was excellent on Wednesday.
snow report
In le tour this morning, was really great. Some lovely stashes of wind blown powder (yes, powder)... the chill temps overnight made a big difference. Pistes empty and in excellent nick. The return to charmillion is literally muck , that's the only downside so far.
latest report
Grands Montets was ice with a cm of scrape on it. Orrible. Wish I'd gone up Le Tour!
snow conditions
A good Easter weekend in Chamonix, still nice snow higher up. On the Vallée Blanche on Monday we skied untracked powder around the Gros Rognon, excellent! Although lower down there is a quite lengthy walk on the rocks to get to the steps for the Montonvers lift. And the icy conditions in some areas around crevasses means you have to be a bit more accomplished to ski it safely compared to earlier in the season.
snow report
@under a new name, where on GM were you? Sunday I was skiing at least 5cm of fresh off the top lift. Beautiful, definitely a top 5 day this season.
snow report
@snowdave, I only got as high as the top of Bochard...
snow report
snowdave wrote:
@under a new name, where on GM were you? Sunday I was skiing at least 5cm of fresh off the top lift. Beautiful, definitely a top 5 day this season.

It's quite telling of the conditions this year that 5cm of fresh gets a "top 5 day of the season", you'd hope for more than that on the one week family trip!
latest report
@snowdave, you must like your "dust on crust"...
ski holidays
Anyone in town for the closing weekend facing meeting up for a ski tour from GM or Midi?
snow report
Understand GM shuts this weekend but assume the AdM is still open for business on Monday? And guessing it will be in good condition all the way down after the snow this week?

I'm keen to do something interesting off the AdM on Monday. Will be flying solo
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@BobinCH, you might want to check. The AdM also shuts at some point for maintenance before the summer season starts.
snow report
@BobinCH,
The closure date for GM is 1st May. Now, having seen the posters up on the wall there, the big Bollywood (!) closure extravaganza is on Monday. 12€ if I am not mistaken.

The CbMB website indicates the Midi is open continuously until November. As @jbob, mentions, I thought it usually closed for maintenance mid May, but no sign of it.

As for the VB, at the moment Monday and Tuesday look a bit iffy. Round 2 of lots of snow. Looks like so far 40cm at the top to about 10cm at the bottom, with similar to follow up to Friday. Cooking up a last weekend big finish before returning to Yorkshire.
snow conditions
A mate had 2 Cham day passes which he held onto for ages waiting for a fresh dump, and his last chance to ski before moving back to the UK permanently. He left last week, reluctantly handing over the passes. I'll send him pictures. Guess GM is all that's open, Sat looks best.
latest report
I'm in BSM right now but about to set off for Chamonix to drop some skis off to Echoebase (if I ever manage to get through to them)
Anyone up for a beer this evening and/or a ski tomorrow?
latest report
Echo Base is shut & Jim the owner is surfing in South Africa. I'll PM.
snow report
@langball, I believe GM is all that's open.
snow report

The sudden overnight embiggening of Chamonix's epicallity seems worthy of note.
ski holidays

Worthy of another note, even...
snow report
Nice. Seems pretty widespread cover to 1000m across NW. Can't believe Avoriaz closed a week early. Wondering will GM be rammed tomorrow? I'll get there early, hope parking not an issue.
ski holidays
@langball, My guess would be most of the locals are done for the season and no TOs operating. But just my feeling.
ski holidays
I walked straight on this morning, about 9:30
Top lift has more of a queue. 10-15 mins maybe.
snow report
@under a new name, I'll be pleasantly surprised if not really busy tomorrow, it's literally the only lift open across a massive area.. PdS, Grand Massif and CMB.
Still snowing heavily around here, reaching down to 700m in parts.
@admin, how good is it up top? Am beyond excited now. 4th coffee.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 28-04-17 9:55; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy