Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix 16/17

Poster: A snowHead
Doesn't seem much open! Arrive 29th and wishing I was off elsewhere. Had Christmas 14 in Cham, with only a very small handful of runs open (3) in GM. (Fortunately managed a few days away) Looks little better now, and no sign of any improvement Sad Think I need to stop booking ski trips until I know there is snow!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@under a new name, @jbob, any idea where XC gear could be hired? sorted it for some friends a few years ago, and cannot remember any of it now!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@fixx, Try Sanglard.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Also, have you seen this:

http://www.chamonix.com/cross-country-skiing,29,en.html
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@fixx, I know exactly. As you come from sanglard to wards the mbc just before the MBC on the right set back slightly is a hire shop. They do Nordic stuff and well as snowshoes etc. Nice guy. Might do a deal if you want them a few days. The foyer for the Nordic skiing is just over the road
from there.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Nordic skiing.
http://www.chamonix.com/snow-report,89,en.html

Looks like the only thing open is the Bois du Bouchet which is less than 2 miles although a good effort getting that open.

If your looking for some non skiing things to do, the hike up to loriaz refuge and maybe stay the night is a good outing. Might need snowshoes.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
As described, @fixx, by @jbob, it's an Intersport.

What is open is currently free. Only 2.7 kms but fresh air and exercise.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Courmayeur was excellent compared to Chamonix.
Bus is 21 euros and leaves from outside the bowling place in Cham Sud at 9:30 or 10:30 drops at the skyway/cable car lifts.
Journey about 40 mins.
Returns from the drop off point at 4:15 and 5:15 from memory.
Enjoy!!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@alfabug, IIRC you can get a car return ticket for the same price if you're in possession of a current lift pass. It may need to be at least a 6-day pass?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Looks like a lot of snow is coming early next week
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Lets hope so... went out with @fixx yesterday morning, did a run of GM (that scared the living sh! t out of me) and bailed. Pretty awful right now, so lets hope something appears next week. Going to give Courmayer a crack at the weekend.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I was lift riding in Verbier with an ESF guy from Argentierre yesterday.
He said it was 100% worth the 40 minute drive and that we had much, much better conditions in Verbier.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Myself and a few pals are arriving in Chamonix next Thursday for 4 days. Hopefully there will be some more snow by then.

If not where are the best places to go within an hour or so drive that might have some coverage? Thanks.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We were there just before Xmas. One day up GM, one in Verbier (a bit more than an hour but worth it) and one in Courmayeur. We had a great time.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I saw this fatality on GM was posted elsewhere on SH by Davidof .... but not on this thread afaik.
I think this is in the bowl below and left of top of Herse chair - accessed from Herse or the black piste pylones just through the ridge down from GM. Skied it many times and often has great snow but some fairly steep pitches and big moguls on the well skied sections with big rocks lower down. Must have slid a fair way and been very unlucky.
https://www.chamonet.com/news/skier-dies-in-grands-montets-accident-chamonix-mont-blanc-valley-701856 Sad
ski holidays
@PBJ, yes, tragic event. We were up there shortly after. I believe there was also a non-fatal but serious accident on Sunday somewhere off the GM lift, thus it is now closed for skiing, climbers/pedestrians only.
snow report
Thanks Snow hound. A quick google also looks like Megeve and Les Carroz as other options inside an hours drive.

Hopefully we should be able to find some snow!
ski holidays
We were bussed along the AutoRoute Blanche on Saturday on the way to Geneva and Les Houche, Saint Gervais and Megeve all looked pretty sad. We were skiing in Monterosa and there was a lot more snow on the Italian side of the Mont Blanc tunnel
latest report
@TFC1, best coverage in order based on what I've experienced in past few days either firsthand or from friends are: 1) Verbier (firsthand )- can ski to resort, plenty to do, 2) Courmayeur (didn't visit myself, snow apparently good but tunnel queues have been horrendous, 1-2hrs each way for some people), 3) Les Contamines (firsthand, decent amount of red/blue stuff open), 4) Grands Montets (firsthand, ok for first 2 hrs in the morning, but increasingly icy and unpleasant thereafter). Also a mate in Pila says its very good there, but probably 90 mins drive and you've got the tunnel to contend with.

Megeve is a zero (pretty much), Les Carroz similar. St Gervais ok for artificial snow on a few blues, might as well do the extra 15 mins to Les Contamines.
latest report
Thanks @Snowdave
snow report
I can confirm that the tide is most definitely out at the GMs:

snow report
Quote:

Also a mate in Pila says its very good there, but probably 90 mins drive and you've got the tunnel to contend with.

Sub 60min drive from Les Praz to Pila on 22nd Dec, incl tunnel Q which wasn't bad as still (just) pre-season & missing the first turning off the motorway for Pila. Snow was fantastic then, but that's two weeks ago now. Pass was €43 for the day, I think.
latest report
@offpisteskiing, Shocked

Last time I went to Chamonix (2007) it sure didn't look like that
ski holidays
What would be the best transport from chamonix to verbier. I have a car rental in Geneva for a chamonix/verbier/zermatt trip. I'd rather not drive given that zermatt is car free but I get different answers to this question. The hotel in chamonix suggested private transport at 200 euros. I understand the train journey is 3 hours and includes a bus ride. Any input would be helpful.
snow conditions
Drive and park at Tasch
latest report
Tasch is for zermatt
There's a bus Cham to le Chable (verbier) I think every Thursday
snow conditions
My mountain bike has finally been packed away after a superb extended season.

Now we are in limbo waiting for good snow. Hopefully it comes later this week and doesn't turn into a sprinkling like every other storm. Already meteofrance's "Enneigement Chamonix Mont-Blanc" has gone down for Tuesday.
http://www.meteofrance.com/previsions-meteo-montagne/neige/chamonix-mont-blanc/740560
snow conditions
I@Ptspeak, since you are already renting a car, drive. Gives you more convenience and flexibility. There is a bus from Cham to Verbier but it only runs on certain days. I wouldn't bother with a train, as you need to change it a few times and then still need a bus or gondola. Beautiful ride especially in the spring/summer, but unnecessary if you have an option to drive. In Verbier park at the Sport Centre (Parking Perin), first 24 hours is free and CHF 5 for every day after. Or if you are going just for a day skiing! Park at Le Chable and then take a gondola all the way up. When going to Zermatt park at Tasch and take train from there. Parking is more expensive there, but still reasonable.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have one night in chamonix two in Verbier and 4 in Zermatt. Thanks for the input. Looking like more time in Cham/verbier would have been better.
snow conditions
Quite a lot of snow is expected in Chamonix over the next several days. Any updates from sites?
ski holidays
Probably not enough recently to do much other than freshen up what was there but rather a lot more forecast tonight and tomorrow which should make much more of a difference...
latest report
45cm expected over the next 4 days. We are arriving on February 1st, hopefully there should be more snow and better skiing by then.
snow report
Indeed, fingers crossed for the next couple of days. Out for the last weekend of jan, with a couple of people who've never been to chamonix before.

I've bigged it up quite a lot, so hoping at least for a reasonable piste network in the absence of much decent off piste. If the current situation continued I could have seen us having to do 25 laps of Charles bozon
snow conditions
Quote:

If the current situation continued I could have seen us having to do 25 laps of Charles bozon

You say that like it's a bad thing
Toofy Grin
ski holidays
@hollando, i am hopeful you will be fine. snowHead
latest report
Point taken, it's not the worst run I've ever skied by a fair stretch!!

Yeah the forecast looks pretty promising indeed!
latest report

A rare mission to Cham today. Skinning at les Houches. It was bonkers at the ticket office. Lots of new snow but not as much as forecast.
ski holidays
@jbob,
How far up did you get? My those Scott skis do look groovy. Gran Paradiso preparation?

It is a shame that you didn't forwarn me of your presence as I was carting a litre of tea around all morning.
latest report
Interesting - Les Contamines are reporting 40cm of fresh today and the web cams look consistent with that. Just shows how localised the falls can be
ski holidays
@HammondR, sorry about that. It was all a bit hit and miss. We hadn't a clue what we might do until we got up.
The question was, how far in an hour, the answer was, not far enough.
I was supposed to be skiing all day with Ali but the baby sitter cried off so we only had a couple of hours to play. Interesting all the same. I'll let you know when I'm coming over next time, also when I'm planning to be in Courmayeur.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy