Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BASI L3 questions

Poster: A snowHead
I'm doing the L3 mountain safety course in January and can't find info about what equipment I need. Can anyone help? In particular, do I need a real touring setup - touring boots, lightweight skis, tech bindings? Advice and opinions gratefully received.

Also, someone told me today that the common theory course is going online? Is that true?

TIA
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Most, if not all f the people on my MS course were in alpine boots and regular skis (rather than super-lightweight tourers) topped with frame bindings.

The CT course has changed since I did it a few years ago, but I don't think it would be possible for all of it to be done online. There are practical elements, such as strength and conditioning, that don't lend themselves to being done in front of a screen. I be surprised if it became an online course, and haven't heard any rumours that it will.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Great, thanks Rob. That's saved me a few quid. I've got frame bindings on white dot rangers. I've skinned 250m vertical on them and my alpine boots, but wouldn't fancy a lot more. Is that ballpark for the MS course?

The way I heard the CT thing was one of the instructors this year apparently opened the course with 'welcome to the last classroom based common theory course'. But it did seem a bit too good to be true. Anyone else heard anything?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
turbosmurf wrote:
Great, thanks Rob. That's saved me a few quid. I've got frame bindings on white dot rangers. I've skinned 250m vertical on them and my alpine boots, but wouldn't fancy a lot more. Is that ballpark for the MS course?
I'm sure frame bindings on those skis will be fine. Can't remember how much skinning we did, 400m one one of the days rings a bell, but I might be imagining that. Most days there wasn't a huge amount of skinning, but I guess that depends what resort you do the course in (I did mine based in Courchevel). We had a few steep bootpacks, a few short skins, some hairy traverses along some precipitous ridges, and one big uphill day. Worst part of that course was the 1.5km uphill skate on the x-country tracks that we finished most days with Skullie
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
lots of info here on L3

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=110745
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks kitenski - I had found that thread, all interesting. Think I'm just going to do a couple of modules and a tech prep course this season. Haven't decided whether to really go for L3 yet, but the MS sounds well worth it regardless.

I've since found this thread http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=119721 with contributions from rob@rar which is also helpful

I think there is supposed to be a doc on the BASI website with equipment requirements, but I can't find it. And the website doesn't seem to be searchable.
Sad

So far I think in addition to my alpine gear I need shovel, transceiver, probe, pack with ski carrying capability, skis with touring frame bindings, skins, the relevant map, and a compass. Am I missing anything?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
altimeter
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@turbosmurf, there is definitely a doc detailing what you need!!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Depending on the conditions you are also recommended crampons for the skis, although I dutifully carried them round all week never to need them.

As well as all the equipment, knowing how to use it is very handy. Quite a few on my course struggled with maps and compasses which are things you can practice away from the mountains.

Altimeter is useful but not essential.

Everyone on my course was using alpine skis (with touring bindings) and boots rather than the full touring setup. You can hire these without too much problem. If you're heading to Courchevel then I can recommend Le Camp de Base as a good place to hire stuff.

Quote:

The way I heard the CT thing was one of the instructors this year apparently opened the course with 'welcome to the last classroom based common theory course'. But it did seem a bit too good to be true. Anyone else heard anything?

Very disappointing if true - the Common Theory is in my view one of the best courses BASI offers, but then I've never been afraid of a classroom! More than half of the course is practical and outdoors etc already, so calling it classroom based is a bit of a misnomer.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
kieranm wrote:
As well as all the equipment, knowing how to use it is very handy. Quite a few on my course struggled with maps and compasses which are things you can practice away from the mountains.

I'd second this. On my course there was more focus on Nav than actual touring.

Frame bindings and Alpine boots were fine.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks all. I can't find the doc on the BASI site, and the links that search engines return generate errors, but I found an archived version
It's here: https://web.archive.org/web/20160328070047/http://www.basi.org.uk/docs/Level_3_Mountain_Safety_Equipment_List-June_10.pdf if anyone else needs it.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@turbosmurf, normally there is a link in your joining instructions?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kitenski wrote:
@turbosmurf, normally there is a link in your joining instructions?

I'm doing it with ICE. They have a link to the BASI website on their course info site, but the link is broken (it was to the doc I found via wayback above).
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
turbosmurf wrote:

Also, someone told me today that the common theory course is going online? Is that true?
TIA

So looks like this is actually true, per the recent BASI mail. Some elements absorbed into other L3 courses and the remainder online.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
anyone heading out to the meeting in Morzine end of Jan? It appears that would give me a CPD point to avoid having to do a refresher???
ski holidays
kitenski wrote:
anyone heading out to the meeting in Morzine end of Jan? It appears that would give me a CPD point to avoid having to do a refresher???

Attend a meeting, get a CPD point. Seems wrong Puzzled
snow report
@stewart woodward, ah, it appears to actually be a CPD day with the meeting tacked on now reading the email properly!!

If it's forecast to snow I may try and get out there..
snow conditions
[quote="kitenski"]lots of info here on L3

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=110745[/quotekitenski, I ain't posted here for a while, last time was about the time you were doing your level 2, how did it all go in the end? I posted on some video you put up carving that was causing you some problems
latest report
Just back from the mountain safety, thanks all for the advice. Really good course, as everyone says - I learnt a lot and had a lot of fun. Despite the stick BASI gets from a lot of people on here, my experience has been very positive.

Everyone in my group was on full on touring set ups (mostly rented) at the beginning of week, although a couple switched back to alpine boots after problems with the pin bindings. But my relatively heavy setup was still ok - the longest skin was only around 300m vertical. Like @kieranm my ski crampons are still unmarked - but you do have to have them.

We had quite a catalogue of misfortune in our group - one poor chap fractured the top of his tibia on literally the second run of the first day. Shocked
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy