Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grand Massif 2016/2017 snow report, Les Carroz, Flaine, Samoens, Morillon & Sixt

Poster: A snowHead
Started snowing today at about midday and carried on snowing lightly until about 18.00, when it turned to rain and then back to snow again. This is at 1650m in Flaine. Pistes over the last few days have been good in the morning, becoming very hard in the afternoon. This morning went down Marvel which had thin snow but was actually very good lower down due to the new snow cannons. Wind picked up around midday. The Gers bowl on Sunday afternoon was very good, snow had softened up enough to make it good skiing. The little bit of fresh snow this afternoon freshened up the pistes and the lower part of Faust was good fun. Higher up the visibility was poor and we called it a day at 15.30. It will be interesting to see how much fresh snow has fallen higher up - possible fresh tracks tomorrow - perhaps too much to ask!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Any word on how heavy the rain is today (les carroz in particular)? heard its hammering it down...would be such shame to lose all that precious snow
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It's been pretty bad, going to the highest point in Flaine and it was sleet snow
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for reply.
Appreciate.
Hows snow holding out? and is temp going up lots?

Forecast said snow weekend...Let's hope
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We drove to flaine today to try to escape the rain but we didn't Crying or Very sad This morning wasn't too bad, visibility reasonable and the snow, whilst not great was ok, but by lunchtime it was raining harder, and really affecting the pistes, we had a nice lunch in michet and bailed!
We've been here over 2 weeks, it snowed a lot just before we arrived and it was bitter cold which helped keep the snow pretty well, and conditions have been great with sunshine almost everyday until yesterday when the rain started.
This rain is the last thing they needed, especially just before half term, it's had a very detrimental effect, especially where the snow was already very thin. The strange thing is that it's rained despite quite low temps, our car said 1.5 c in the car park at flaine, although I'm sure someone who knows a bit about meteorology would be able to explain. Fingers crossed the forecasted snow at the weekend arrives!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ouch. Really appreciate correspondence. It is such shame. Wondering if the cannons will be out tonight. I not up on my weather systems so no idea how it works. But as we all know it can change over night . Just a little tweak and that rain is the fresh white stuff. Let's hope. We arrive Sunday.

I hope your holiday remains positive and joyful.
Keep the piste.
PS any updates tomo would be highly awesome.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Madcapz, the bit that no-one has mentioned is how much new snow there is at the top of Flaine. We went up this morning on the DMC at about 9.30am, it was snowing heavily and visibility was very bad, so we chickened and came back down on DMC, but it appeared there had been about 20cm of fresh snow higher up. It was raining as we got lower, so we almost decided not to ski but the rain suddenly stopped, so we went up Grand Vans and down Tourmaline, and then looped around on Tete des Verds. On both the lifts it was snowing once you got about 2/3 of the way up. No idea what has happened since we left just before lunchtime, but that snow at the top has to be good news. Forecasts all disagree, so no idea what will happen tonight. Fingers crossed that the rain stops.

It has virtually stopped raining now in Les Carroz and temp is 4C.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks so much for reply . This weather came is a real roller coaster of emotions. Hahaha...So much better hearing from you guys direct as blinking weather reports doing my head in Hahaha all different....But tbf it's a hard task predicting weather....You guys are best we got . !

Again thanks
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@sj1608, that's good to hear, we chickened out of going to the top and just did a few loops of aup de veran and mephisto, the last time was about midday and it was trying to snow at the top of the lift but really more sleet. I think the freeze level has been up and down rather a lot in the last 24 hours coz it did seem like there was new snow on the top part of mephisto (albeit a bit wet).
Tomorrow and Thursday look like nice weather so it'll be interesting to see how everything looks.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@skimum, I think there were a lot of us chickens about this morning!!

One thing I should have mentioned is that they (finally) shut the bottom half of Almandine this morning. Not sure where @skimum damaged her skis (see other thread), but if she'd been down Almandine that would definitely have been enough to cause significant damage.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@sj1608, well that was long overdue, that bottom bit of almandine is never that nice but it's been horrendous and looked more like a slalom course it had so many warning poles stuck in it!
My new skis seemed to attract every stone going, I think I did most of the damage on portet and the bottom bit of timalet, although we went to les gets on Saturday and there was one red that was pretty much stoney from top to bottom!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@skimum, I also think you are more aware of every rock when you are on new skis. I know I tried to steer round them to start with, which is never practical, given that it's pretty rare for there to be just one rock........

Are you planning on naming the ski shop that did the bad job on your skis? And have you gone back and spoken to them about it?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@sj1608, I haven't gone back to speak to them yet and I don't want to name them without talking to them first. I had been impressed with them up till today, it was where I bought the skis and the service was complimentary, I've just spent money trying to rectify a bad job!
What I didn't mention was that the shop had also done my husbands skis and he had a problem as well. Not as bad as mine but that maybe because he's a more aggressive skier but we had to have his skis sorted as well!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@skimum, really sorry to hear that. I guess you'll decide what to do depending on how they react, but I guess in the back of my mind I have that it could be me next time, so I rather want to know. Although my OH does all our ordinary ski servicing, sooner or later we're bound to have something that needs a pro to handle it.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@sj1608, well if you were to get your skis serviced in Les Carroz you'd be safe!
ski holidays
@skimum, thanks! Yes, that's where I'd go.
ski holidays
We are in les carroz and is started raining heavy again. We are opposite the small nursery slope and the is now a small stream of water running down it.
We decided not to ski today headed to morzine just for a walk around a change of scenery. We returned around 7 and the car temp gauge was reading 5 degrees as we got back to carroz. It's such a shame as a drop of only a few degrees in temperature and would have a huge amount of snow.

I nice clear day tomorrow/ Wednesday so we'll see how much damage has be done to the pistes when I get up there in the morning. Fingers crossed
ski holidays
Just got back from skiing in Flaine. I'll try to give updates to help those on their way out over the next few days.

We drove up to Flaine, and much what we could see on the way looked pretty sad - lower part of Combe, Timalets, Portet all showing lots of brown. Marmottes looked good, though.

Once we got to Flaine, it was pretty icy down lower. But a trip on the DMC to the top got us to all that lovely snow from yesterday and higher up Faust, Cristal and Serpentine were all lovely. But as you got lower they turned to ice (or slush on ice later in the day). This meant that everyone was trying to stay high by looping Desert Blanc and Diamond Noir, so more queues than we've seen recently, even though it was relatively quiet on the pistes. Gers was open, Cascade closed.

In the afternoon we decided to try Mephisto, but apart from the first 200m or so it was icy the whole way down to the bottom. And covered with a mixture of nervous people and out of control people, so not a very nice experience.

All in all, far better than it could have been (at least in Flaine) and lots more snow forecast for the next few days for all you lucky people about to arrive.
ski holidays
Well it's been a lovely sunny day, pistes started out quite hard but softened up in the sun, and in fact this afternoon felt quite spring like! There are areas where the rain has done some damage but we were surprised by how well they had held up, I can't comment on les Carroz or morillon but Samoens and flaine were ok.
There was new snow at the top of the tete de saix, tourmaline and of course at the top of flaine itself, it was surprisingly good. The main problem is how much is closed, this concentrates everyone into a handful of pistes which isn't ideal in quiet weeks but will be problematic in the half term holidays. Hopefully the forecasted snow will fall and they'll be able to get more open.
ski holidays
@sj1608, yes it was very slick today, certainly below 2000 metres, on the ski back over to Samoens there was the usual carnage down dolomie etc and that hadn't seemed to have softened up much. Once over in Samoens, after the very top of marmottes where I couldn't get an edge in anywhere Shocked it was quite springlike.
ski holidays
@skimum, that suggests that you have working edges now! Thanks for the info, looks like a trip to Samoens tomorrow....
snow report
@sj1608, ah I chickened out of taking out the new skis, didn't want to risk a day of faffing around, especially as it was so nice. I was on my old skis, they're not as good but at least I knew what I was getting! Going to try the new ones again tomorrow and after 3 trips to the shop in flaine to sort them out I really hope they're ok!
snow conditions
Has there been any fresh snow today?
snow report
Nope
snow conditions
Hi we arrive Saturday, thanks for updates. Will try and chip in when I am there too. Staying in Morillon but ski all areas. Love the area. Fingers crossed snow will arrive this Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
latest report
Another lovely sunny day, and still some good skiing to be had, but more pistes closing due to lack of snow.

We started at Molliets (sorry, Carroz 1500) and went straight up to the Tete, which was definitely still benefiting from the extra snow, and then down into Samoens via Marmottes, which was generally good but a bit icy in places. From there it was back up to the Tete and a first for me. As I came off Chariande Express I was literally blown backwards into the chair, which promptly knocked me over. Sad

Perce Neige was in good condition, and from there we went over to Morillon. Cover on Sairon is excellent, although a bit icy at the top. Marvel is closed at the top, although Marvelline and the cannoned part of Marvel are open and in good condition, and make a nice loop for a change. Bergin is closed.

We'd decided to go back up to the Tete but Lanche was closed due to wind (not surprising after my earlier experience), so it was back to Carroz via Biollaire. The narrow bit had loads of rock and gravel, and the last bit down to Gron lift had a nasty mix of slush, ice and rocks. Cupoire (always my preferred alternative) was closed and looked very bare.

In contrast, heading down from the Carroz Telecabine to Molliets on Marmotte was very pleasant, with good cover.

So a very mixed bag of a day. Standing in Morillon looking across the valley to Verchaix you can see just how much impact the rain has had over the last few days, there's really no snow left over there.

Forecasts all disagreeing again tonight, but some of the ones that were for loads of snow over the next few days are now showing at least some rain as well.
latest report
Really appreciate your report s... Gutted for everyone really. Such shame..

Any reports on flaine Puzzled are the links still open to flaine?
snow report
@Madcapz, yes the Flaine links are open - basically, if you can get up to the Tete, you can get to Flaine. So, today was fine across to Flaine from Samoens and Les Carroz. If you were in Morillon you had to take a little detour via Biollaire to Les Carroz to get up to the Tete. If the wind drops, I assume they'll open Lanche again and there'll be a direct link from Morillon.

Depending on what happens tonight, we'll probably ski in Flaine tomorrow, so will keep you posted.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Awesome please do really appreciate
snow conditions
@Madcapz, is this your first time in the Grand Massif? And where are you staying? You'll be taking the baton from us, as we plan to leave on Sunday.......
snow conditions
Yes mate first time so hence the keeness. Not sure exactly where we staying. Les carroz for sure in a catered house. Couple families with a cook... So looking forward to having meals made..Makes a change .

The baton most certainly can be passed . Thanks for your info.
Great forum
snow report
Woke up this morning to about 10cm of fresh snow at resort level in Flaine. Can't see the tops of the mountains so visibility higher up is going to be poor. There is a bit of wind at resort level which could make things interesting higher up. (Update: can now see some blue sky so could be a very good day)

Yesterday the conditions in the bowl were very mixed. Early in the day the pistes were very hard and by the end of the day were very variable depending on whether the sun had got on them and the height. Went up Aujon and the on and off piste conditions were horrible. The conditions under Dessert Blanc and between Crystal and Serpentine were lovely.

Must go now and make those fresh tracks!
ski holidays
@Chris Mason, that's very good news. In Les Carroz it's been raining (noisily) since about 3am and is foggy. We'll be on our way to Flaine in a bit.......
ski holidays
I have mixed emotions. Great news but at same time sad about Les carroz.

The rain at les carroz is that at village level?

What height you think in carroz is rain free? WITH SNOW¡
snow report
@sj1608, Sorry to hear about Carroz. I'm not trying to rub it in but today in Flaine was wonderful. Started off on piste but is was very windy at the top. At 10.00 went to explore the off piste to the sides of the Aujon drag. We were almost the first tracks to the right of the drag (looking up it) and then made lots of fresh tracks on the other side. The powder was lovely to ski on and, surprisingly, the tracked snow underneath did not affect our enjoyment. Elsewhere, the off piste was very bumpy and some of the pistes again became completely scraped of snow by lunchtime. Went under the Tetes des Verts chair after lunch which was nice but getting down the bottom half of Almandine was nasty - afterwards discovered that the piste was closed. The light started to get flat at about 15.00 and it started snowing at about 17.00, and still is snowing here in Flaine at resort level.

I'm setting off for home tomorrow, not back again until the beginning of April. Having skied for 20 consecutive days I have seen all the extremes of conditions and the forecast for the coming week looks very promising. Keep those reports coming!
ski holidays
@Madcapz, yes it was rain at village level. But there was fresh snow just above the village, although not very much. It really needs a real dump down lower to have any significant impact. It's pouring with rain again now at village level, just hope it's still snowing higher up.

@Chris Mason, we weren't too concerned tbh, as it was always clear that Flaine would be the place to be today. Very impressed you made it down Almandine, it looked very nasty and has been closed for a few days now.

Lovely clear blue skies this morning, and great skiing, although definitely very windy higher up. We came down the middle section of Tourmaline where it's a gentle downhill slope poling like mad as the wind blew us back!

Our last day tomorrow, and it looks as if it'll be off to Flaine again.
snow report
@Madcapz, happy to report that is now snowing heavily in Les Carroz and laying, with the roads rapidly going white. Driving up to Flaine looks like a very silly thing to do right now, so we'll be skiing out of Les Carroz today.
ski holidays
Thank you for the very good news of the much needed snowfall. Much appreciated. Bon ski.
latest report
Woooooooooohhhhhh YEEEEEEEESSSSSSS

Thank soooooooo much for your continued update a real ly has been so helpful.
I intend to do same for forum when you pass the baton
ski holidays
Have just got in from skiing in Carroz. It was snowing heavily when we went up first thing, but visibility was pretty good in the trees. All the links were closed except the one between Morillon and Carroz, but it just seemed more sense to stay in Carroz, which turned out to be a good decision.

At about 11 it started to clear and there were bright blue skies and sunshine for an hour or so. It had been windy all morning, but the wind just got stronger and stronger, until eventually they started closing some of the lifts. We were by the telecabine, so decided to grab a bite to eat and hope that it calmed down a little. Far from calming down it just got stronger and stronger, with the snow blowing around everywhere. We did one loop of the Plein Soleil drag lift (the chair was closed by then) and then decided that it was nicer to ski when you decide where the go, rather than where the wind decides you will go and came down through the trees.

By the time we were back in Carroz, the only lifts open were the two tapis below the telecabine. Although it stopped snowing in town for a while, it's now snowing heavily again.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy