Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grand Massif 2016/2017 snow report, Les Carroz, Flaine, Samoens, Morillon & Sixt

Poster: A snowHead
We are just driving back from a great week in Samoens. They've done a fab job with Dahu (blue) and Marmotte (red) and the beginners area - all things considered. Bit stony here or there and a couple of crusty patches but definitely skiable and the kids both came on in leaps and bounds this year (Zig Zag ski school are ace and always worth the extra money IMHO). I hope it dumps down for anyone heading out - but fear not, a great time is still to be had if your objective is simply to ski and have fun. Also worth a day in Flaine if you can, plenty of snow up top and the run back to the resort is fine, a few stones but doable. Have fun all!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks for the info all, (@rachelharrisonsmith, @Zorrac, @grmmff,@dswordsmith, )

I land Friday, looking forward now!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
9 weeks for me, hoping a lot will happen between now and then!

Can't wait though =0)
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We're potentially off to Flaine for 3 days, landing on 11th Jan. Keeping a curious eye on things though - i hear the links are currently closed, and with forecasts looking mixed, am not sure whether we will still head here or somewhere else. Appreciate any snowheads on the ground to keep the eyeball accounts coming! Cheers!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
maidstone98 wrote:
We're potentially off to Flaine for 3 days, landing on 11th Jan. Keeping a curious eye on things though - i hear the links are currently closed, and with forecasts looking mixed, am not sure whether we will still head here or somewhere else. Appreciate any snowheads on the ground to keep the eyeball accounts coming! Cheers!

was there last week - as you are already aware the links are all closed but there's probably enough open in Flaine to keep you busy for 3 days.

Having said that, if you have the opportunity to go elsewhere (somewhere with more snow), I would probably choose that option.

Edit - sorry just realised that I've already been giving you updates last week Laughing

It's a lot colder there this week, so the cannons will be on, and you never know, perhaps they will be open a little more before the 11th even if it doesn't snow.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I land Sunday , forecast was saying possible snow the weekend , fingers crossed .
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm hoping for a few cm's like snow forecast is predicting, to turn the mountains a little more white. It's the little man's first trip abroad so it would make it so much better if it actually looked like winter!

Not too worried about the conditions on the baby slopes for him, they'll be what they'll be. The webcams seem to show that the cannons have been working hard at the top of the GME's beginners area?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Heading out on sat (7th) for our first skiing holiday (and honeymoon!) to Morillon.

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone that's been putting up the snow reports, it's turned in to a bit of an obsession checking the here and the forecasts.

Fingers crossed Shocked
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just arrived in Samoëns and it's snowing. Fingers crossed it continues through the night Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Congratulations @Kai, welcome to Snowheads and hope you have a great week!

Good news @outsidehalf10 =0)
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Any idea when they might be able to open more slopes (the links in particular)? Surely it's now cold enough to have the snow cannons running 24/7?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Can you still get over to Flaine just using the gondola's and chair lifts ?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@coolhandluke60, you need to drive to Flaine to access the slopes. We are elsewhere in the alps at the moment, but will provide an update when we go back on Thursday. I don't think that last nights forecast snow turned out to be much more than a sprinkling but I think that a bit more is forecast for Thursday. Whether this is sufficient to open the links remains to be seen
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Skied Flaine before, during and after Xmas, got back at the weekend. Flaine is doing well. No links open mind you, so had to drive and park from Les Carroz. LC was running a bus, but you had to book for the busy days. Les Carroz was not looking good. As others have reported, it is a lot colder now though and so the snow cannons can run more. The light dusting looks more impressive than it really is. Need a massive dump to get LC up and running and get any of the links open.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Skied Samoens and Morillon today. Both holding up remarkably well. Marmottes in Samoens has some icy patches but was great fun first thing this morning with a few cm of fresh snow groomed. Sairon in Morillon was holding up very well with the snow cannons running. We even skied all the way down to the village on Doina thanks to the last 2 weeks' temperature inversion meaning the snow cannons have been at work all the way down to the village. Haven't skied that low in the GM for over 10 years. Still lots of fun to be had out here. Haven't been to Flaine, Les Carroz or Sixt.
ski holidays
Freestyle wrote:
Skied Samoens and Morillon today. Both holding up remarkably well.

Just out of interest did you manage to ski from Tetes de Saix down in to Morillon on Pierce Neige/Sairon or did you have to go down the GME then bus it over? I know the lifts aren't open yet for coming back from Morillon but wondering whether it's possible to ski Samoëns to Morillon and then bus back?
snow report
@outsidehalf10 No, the links aren't open between Samoens and Morillon in either direction yet.

We're staying in Morillon and skied here and Samoens today, some fun pistes to be had, but we're making the best of it. Driving to Flaine tomorrow, hearing better things about the skiing there.

Hoping the forecast snow over next two days might be enough to open the Flaine/Samoens map, looks on map like it's pretty much there already on the Flaine side. This is probably just wishful thinking though
ski holidays
we're heading to les carroz on the 26th of January for a week so hopefully the snow dance im currently working on will help us all out!
thanks for all the updates.
snow report
We did ski down from Tete de Saix - I wouldn't do it again though until it's officially open. Pierce neige on the ridge was sheet ice (it was officially closed so we were taking a risk) and also we hadn't anticipated that the link buses from Morillon stop between 10.30 and 12.15 (so we couldn't get back to pick up our kids from ski school in Samoens!) so we had to get a taxi. I did enjoy skiing right down to Morillon village though - haven't done that in about 10 years!
Ps. Does anyone else think that the new Club Med looks like the rebel base in Empire Strikes Back?
snow report
Given the lack of open runs in Les Carroz can anyone tell me if there are options to bus up to Flaine for the day if staying in LC? Had a look on various bits of the GM site but couldn't find anything.
ski holidays
heavy snow fall is forecast for flaine this evening so fingers crossed
latest report
@Garioch, There was Christmas week, it went 3 times a day, but no sure now, email the les carroz tourist office as it went from outside.
ski holidays
@Garioch, it seemed to be a 'white line' bus. We didn't use it but apparently the bus is taking passengers with lift passes up to Flaine.
ski holidays
It is snowing in Morillon Village! Really hoping this means some more pistes can open up, especially links to Flaine! We drove over there today and Méphisto and Faust were great fun this morning (Faust getting too many moguls by early afternoon)
snow conditions
@Zorrac, Many thanks - hadn't thought of Tourist office, will drop them an email.
latest report
Some additional lifts and pistes scheduled for opening in Les Carroz, excellent work with very little extra snow. I might not need that bus after all if we can get a wee bit more snow this week. Smile

Tomorrow (Friday 6/01) at noon, opening of the blue track combe in its entirety.

Openings on the ski slopes of carroz, from this weekend:

5 Lifts (from Saturday 7/01) and 6 Lifts (from Sunday, 8/01):
TC KEDEUZE
Tsd the moliets
Tsf of gron
Tk Ridges
Carpet Ridges
Carpet Figaro (from Sunday, 8/01)

5 Tracks (from Saturday 7/01) and 8 Tracks (from Sunday, 8/01):
Green track corner corner
Track Molliachets Green
Blue Track Combe
Blue track blanchot
Blue Track Marmots (bottom)
Blue Trail Sun (from Sunday, 8/01)
Red Track Timalets (from Sunday, 8/01)
Blue Track Figaro (from Sunday, 8/01)

Back to normal hours from Saturday 7/01 (9-16 pm).
ski holidays
Anyone any idea how much snow the main bowl got from the last storm?
Has it made much of a difference to the skiing or was it more of a whiten the resort up and make it look pretty dusting Smile
ski holidays
Saw the message on the LC site, so happy that they have got more open. They must have worked like stink, to get Plein Soliel open, it was very bare.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Fri 6-01-17 11:42; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Cheesie168, Absolutely, I guess the pasture base makes a little snow go a long way. A good effort for sure.
ski holidays
Shocked

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Sat 18-02-17 23:06; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Does anyone know if the links are open yet between Flaine and Les Carroz? (is it Grands Vans lift?)
ski holidays
@maidstone98, You will need to get on the new lift to tete de saix (tete des saix express) before you can get to the vernant chair and that is not on the list posted by@Garioch.

Grand vans gets you out of Flaine
ski holidays
@Zorrac, Fantastic pics...really interesting to see.
snow report
Anyone out in Flaine or Gran Massif? How are conditions? Have the links between valleys opened up yet?
snow conditions
Nealy had a heart attack, looking at the photos. Thought they were recent!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
@maidstone98, according to the interactive piste map app that I have, the Grands Vans chair is now open (and the blue run 'tourmaline' below it is too), which means that the Terraces D'eos is now effectively ski in/ski out.

Doesn't look like the links to the other villages are open yet though.
snow conditions
@maidstone98, Not out yet but been keeping an eye on the conditions and as @mikeycharlton says the interactive piste map doesn't show any links either open or scheduled to open. You can see the map here http://hiver.grand-massif.com/pistes

You'll need Vernant and Corbalanche lifts scheduled to open along with Salice, Malice and Dolomie runs to link in and out of Flaine - looks like a good bit more snow needed for them to try opening?

I also wondered about seasonal staff who had likely been laid off recently, I assume that even given a dump of snow it would take them a day or two to round up enough staff to open up mothballed lifts.
ski holidays
thanks guys. I'll keep an eye on the interactive map!
snow report
Any further reports on Les Carroz? We fly out on 14th and wonder if we might be able to get shifted to a different resort if there aren't many lifts open.
latest report
Skied Les Carroz today and had a great time despite very few runs open. Beautiful area. Snow predicted most days next week on local forecast (frustrating as leaving tomorrow) but love Grand Massif, will definitely be back soon, hopefully with much more snow!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy