Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

compression leggings to increase slope time

Poster: A snowHead
hi all, does anyone have any recommendations and experience of compression gear? I have heard good things about Skins and saw a Swiss brand in the shop that the Italian and Swiss ski teams wear but they are £130 per pair, which is quite an investment! Do you get THAT much benefit from wearing them?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I used to use compression shorts for playing rugby, but I've never used anything for skiing. TBH I'm usually always too hot in ski gear so rarely wear underlayers.

2 things that have helped me enjoy my slope time more: a few months gym preparation (pilates, squats, etc: there is a free "12min Ski Workout App" as a starter...) and pre-and post-ski stretching, plus (if you can get it) and hour in the sauna / steam each night!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
No good medical research supports use, as far as I know, but I think not much research anyway...

Not worth £130!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I use them for every type of exercise (and recovery therefrom). Years ago I found a source - now dried up, unfortunately - of stuff which was much, much cheaper than Skins or UnderArmour, and I stocked up. That really is a dreadful price!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I wear Skins 3/4 length leggings for skiing, and they are nice and warm, but I can't say I have endless energy that I didn't before!

I still have a cold backside too, so I want merino pants!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I don't think they make any difference to your fitness or technique - those are the things which allow you to ride all day in my opinion. They're warm and I like them better than more conventional synthetic base layer stuff though. They feel good if you're fit. I've used Under Armour and Skins and some less known brands and as far as I can tell they're all the same.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have compression socks but I mainly use them for flying and occasionally when I need a really thin ski sock I suspect there is a fair bit of woo science to the performance claims re fatigue etc.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
philwig wrote:
I don't think they make any difference to your fitness or technique - those are the things which allow you to ride all day in my opinion. They're warm and I like them better than more conventional synthetic base layer stuff though. They feel good if you're fit. I've used Under Armour and Skins and some less known brands and as far as I can tell they're all the same.

sorry I disagree with that, ive used both UA and skins for a variety of sports, and I do find they make a difference, and theres definitely a difference between UA and Skins, skins are much better are providing a continual compression, I find UA tends to be a bit more stretchy. However that's just my opinion, and im convinced enough I always wear them Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The rather expensive gear I saw was www.x-bionic.com the wintersports energy accumulator gear. It is a lot of money but has won lots of awards. I was wondering if it was a case of "you get what you pay for" or a lot of marketing hype Puzzled
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
HoneyBunny wrote:
I wear Skins 3/4 length leggings for skiing, and they are nice and warm, but I can't say I have endless energy that I didn't before!

I still have a cold backside too, so I want merino pants!

I've just bought Skins 3/4 length S400 to wear under my new Arc'teryx shell trousers. The 'S' being the thermal version.
I've not tried then yet, and only bought as a base layer but would be interested if there are any physical / recovery benefits.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Jarcy, they don't contribute to stamina, as someone's already said, but using them for exercise and post-exercise recovery results in my legs hurting less. Or so it seems to me, perhaps I'm deluding myself. And they are cosy and comfortable.

@Pablito, I suspect marketing hype, but am only guessing.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

a lot of marketing hype

this
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
They are good for warmth but in my opinion that is it. I use them for running, football and skiing. Obviously you cant use them for running in summer as they are too hot and i havent noticed a dip in energy through those months. You can get nike compressions tights from sports direct for about £15 that are exactly the same as the skins ones. I have lots of both and theres no real difference.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
if you are thinking of buying there are usually some good prices on sportsshoes.com
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@mk28,
Quote:

You can get nike compressions tights from sports direct for about £15

Ooh, thanks, that's good to know for when mine eventually collapse.
snow conditions
I use under armour cold gear. No idea if they work but they do keep me warm. Usually wear my Baw Bags on top Toofy Grin
snow report
I've tried compression gear mostly skins and Nike. Do they make a difference to endurance/slope time? Probably not. Do they improve recovery time, only in my own head I suspect. It's all about preparation in the off season IMO as to how well you will perform, there are no short cuts. You have to earn your turns.
ski holidays
@Grandma Sunshine,
Quote:

Do they improve recovery time, only in my own head
This is the point. If it works in my own head, then it works, like any placebo.

Quote:

It's all about preparation in the off season IMO as to how well you will perform, there are no short cuts. You have to earn your turns.
In which case I am, almost certainly, totally fecked. Ho hum. rolling eyes
ski holidays
So a lot of runners I know swear by calf compression socks - you wear them after running / overnight to aid recovery - here is a snippet from a website
"The 2XU Compression Calf Guards offer superior compression, allowing your muscles to recover quicker."
I would consider anything which claims to assist recovery - but at £130 I think the money would be better spent on a lesson or two Very Happy
snow report
Since I've started wearing compression socks for running I seem to have had fewer shin and calf niggles. Whether that is causation or correlation I really couldn't tell you but I find them comfortable so I'm sticking with them.
snow conditions
@Hurtle, you are possibly correct on both points lol x
snow report
Find calf guards brilliant for recovery. Had a bad leg injury last year and wearing something like listed below brings massive benefit.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/compressport-r2v2-race-and-recovery-calf-guard/?lang=en&curr=GBP&dest=1&sku=5360772583&kpid=5360772583&utm_source=google&utm_term&utm_campaign=UK_PLA_Clothing&utm_medium=base&utm_content=mkwid%7CsVpRjqYgw_dt%7Cpcrid%7C67090791782%7Cpkw%7C%7Cpmt%7C%7Cprd%7C5360772583uk
snow report
I have skins, but not sure they make any difference except in my head. Wiggle often have them at least half price. And you get a free pack of haribos. What's not to like!

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 2-12-16 14:56; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
I got my Skins 3/4 S400 for £44 Snow & Rock after ski club 15% discount.
snow report
I've used Skins in the past and now use X-Bionic Accumulator EVO stuff. Not sure if there is any Science behind it, or if as @Hurtle says it is just the placebo effect, but they work for me, and I look like something out of Tron Cool
latest report
I've used Skins for years, both top and 3/4 leggings, but they seem to have a cold inducing effect when I wear them next to the skin, so I wear them on top of cheap M&S merino/synthetic leggings instead.

I was experiencing intense muscle ache problems around knees, thighs, pelvis and lower back and the Skins seem to help with my endurance and recovery quite a lot.

Admittedly I do very little fitness training and find that keeping my legs extra warm while skiing has a very positive effect for me.

M&S merino/synthetic leggings pulled up so they are double-layered over the knees, Skins on top, plus Forcefield padded shorts make the world of difference for my middle-aged slim/skinny legs.
ski holidays
DVT tights?
ski holidays
i have been testing/using compresssport, skins-cold and wet when resting, salomon calf and quads compression for last couple of years running ultras here and in Europe and they do nothing at all. if you want short recovery time take epo. as other users stated -placebo they make you look great and if you believe they can help you ...well it is a matter of belief.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
In terms of experience with the X-Bionic Evo - I would think twice before spending your money on it. Anybody who is even remotely "techy" should not even take those in their hands Smile, as from an appearance perspective, it is hands down the most sophisticated appearing in the market... Problem comes from wearing them on the mountain... I have purchased in resort the previous versions of those, which were literally unwearable. The top was rolling up on my waist, and it practically felt like a soaked t-shirt. I have never been uncomfortable on the mountain layering my nice thin and thicker fleece products previously... At the time the company providing the UK customer service for X-Bionic was excellent, and I was offered the newer EVO version (grey-green - still on the current website).. They must have felt that the previous version was cr.p, as they have massively increased the sweat trapping areas on the EVO. Nonetheless, the problem is that it traps the sweat, instead of wicking it away from your body (in fact I remember watching a video of a sport program guy running in X-bionic garment in a heat chamber, and they claimed that by trapping the sweat it was helping him to cool and he lasted longer than without it)... But I think in my experience there lies the problem - my old thin fleece products would keep me dry, while this thing keeps you cold with a wet feeling. The EVO was usable (vs. the predecessor), but not fun. E.g. when stopping for lunch, I couldn't take the ski jacket off, otherwise I was freezing to death, so was always sitting in the lodges in closed jacket rolling eyes . In fact, there was one time when we packed up and left the hotel already, but skied the day, and had to travel down from the mountain with a bus and a train to our friends where I could change; this was the worst experience in my life in a ski outfit - the EVO was making me shivering so bad that I had to literally take it off in front of other people on a bus...
So I have been only using it since on days when I can get out of it right away, hoping that the compression aspect would do something... This year I have upgraded my ski jacket and pants to one of the highest level of breathability on the market (30.000g), and was hoping that perhaps my old jacket was not breathing well enough for this product, but I can confirm that even now it just keeps you cold and wet feeling, and you have to get out of it as soon as possible. I love Falke socks, and saw that they do compression base layers as well, or perhaps Skins; but I am ready to accept defeat and swallow the ~€200+ and look for something else that feels warm with compression; without compression my unsophisticated nice thin fleece was just perfect (again, I have never had a clothing related uncomfortable day on the mountain prior to being sucked into the sophisticated appearance of the X-Bionic..)
ski holidays
I have been using Skins 3/4 leggings for a few years now, but I am not sure they give any additional energy to last longer on slopes. They are warm though, which I appreciate as I ski in shells, not insulated trousers.
ski holidays
Do you know which type of Skins it is? There seems to be quite a few... Puzzled
ski holidays
I use A400 3/4 skins for gym workouts. I have no idea if they help me in any way, but they do keep everything nicely together so I don't have to stop to adjust myself. I am planing on using them for skiing as well but don't expect anything other than comfort.
ski holidays
I used to use Skins to help with recovery when skiing, but I don't think it made any real difference. This year, I've spent more time in the gym doing dynamic exercises, and that has been significantly more effective in my opinion. In reality, there are no shortcuts to decent levels of fitness and good ski technique. And of course, a cold beer when back from the slopes Toofy Grin
snow conditions
That's a fair point, but it's not a compression outfit vs. gym workout question, is it? If compression helps to deliver more oxygen to the tissues (or not), whatever your current level of fitness is, you could benefit (or not)..
snow report
@szladob, No, but the original question was whether compression leggings increase slope time. My personal experience is that they don't. The only way to do that is through good fitness and technique.
ski holidays
i have a 2XU compression top and found no benefits for recovery after marathon swim races or long training session, and I find it really cold to wear and have to use extra layers on top. I've never really fathomed why it feels cold but it does.
ski holidays
I've used to use Skins Snow when they first came out, and now use X-Bionic Accumulator EVO (which have the added advantage of making you look like a character out of Tron Cool).

Being at the skinny end of the spectrum (BMI 20), I find they keep me warm and even when sweaty, and I haven't noticed them being cold, contrary to what others have reported.

As to whether or not they provide a benefit, there certainly isn't a massive boost in energy, but whether there is a 5-10% benefit, is a different matter. I guess an elite athlete would wear something for 1% improvement (which is massive on a triathlon). But overall maybe they fall into the same category as those nose breathing strips, in that they genuinely work for some people operating on the limit (which isn't most skiers).
snow report
The only compression garment I have used was a sock, and that was for ski touring. I find that they definitely reduce blisters as a function of reducing movement between the sock and the skin (also with zonc oxide or Rock tape on heels).
snow report
Have been a big fan of skins for maybe 15 years. Definitely think they help legs during and after skiing, especially the first few days back on snow.
latest report
I wear 2XU thermal compression tights under a shell. Very comfortable and legs do feel better at the end of the day, but that could just be the placebo effect.

TBH: getting fit before the season, and developing good technique, will do more to increase slope time.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy