Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Whistler recommendations?

Poster: A snowHead
Off to Whistler has anyone recommendations for dinning, drinking and skiing?

We are intermediate level ski on piste though looking to try a bit of powder, any guide/ski with a local recommendations, will be there for 8 days on the mountain, will probably do the fresh tracks one day, is there anything that is a must do?

Mrs Radar wants to try some different skis any particular shop that anyone would recommend?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 29-12-16 16:54; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There used to be free ski testing on the mountain on both Whistler and Blackcomb
http://www.whistler-vacation-tips.com/whistler-mountain-ski.html
But you might have to pay a bit now - I can't work out if this is the same thing! I think it was free when I popped in last winter, but I had touring boots, so couldn't take any out...
https://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/purchase/rentals/demo-rentals

There are free on mountain tours most days, which you can join - pretty good.
https://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/events-and-activities/activities/free-mountain-tours

But personally I had a much better time last winter with the SCGB rep (ssssh!) - you can get one day free, but have to be a member after that.
http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/skiclubleaders/programme.aspx?programmeID=3551#.WGUJFFOLSpo

Also do check out the Whistler website events listing for what's on while you're there:
https://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/events-and-activities/events

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 29-12-16 14:01; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The on-mountain food is awesome btw, huuuuuge portions most places, and big choice at most major stops.

Definitely stop at Crystal hut for waffles at some point, and try the fully loaded version Wink
https://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/the-village/dining/crystal-hut
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
fixx wrote:
The on-mountain food is awesome btw, huuuuuge portions most places, and big choice at most major stops.

Definitely stop at Crystal hut for waffles at some point, and try the fully loaded version Wink
https://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/the-village/dining/crystal-hut

Yes, I remember those waffles.....definitely worth it!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've used these Guides 5-6 times and never had a bad Guide or bad day out. They will do whatever you want, providing it is safe in the back country Very Happy

http://whistlerskiguides.com/

In terms of village restaurants, I can recommend The Keg Steakhouse https://www.kegsteakhouse.com/locations/whistler-keg/
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If you like your steaks, try Hy's.

A shame The Boot has gone, as that was always worth a visit Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you like oysters, or curious or previously not impressed by them - then go to Araxi in the village. There's an oyster happy hour well worth a try before you dig into the other varieties...
http://www.araxi.com/oyster-bar/

And the Tapas bar Oso round the corner is good relaxed drinking & eating too.
http://baroso.ca/

There's a lively and decent/cheapish Japanese also - go to the supermarket in the village, walk straight through past the supermarket on both sides of you, out the back into a courtyard and go straightish across there and you'll find it.
Think it's Harajuku Izakaya
http://www.harajuku.ca/

Moguls coffee shop is opposite the main whistler gondola - good coffee and breakfast bagels/muffins ( ie 'english' muffins with bacon and eggs not the preposterous American cake jobbies...)
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ski shop wise, I think they may be all owned by the resort now, but Summit Sports is the one used by my mates. Contrary to some things I read here, you can rent high quality gear which does precisely what you want. So if you want a specific powder ski, they will have that and will set you up on it. "Fresh Tracks" can be a bit busy.

Overall in Whistler people tend to all do the same thing - they get up late, ride the most obvious pistes, all stop for lunch at the same time... That makes them fairly easy to avoid. It is a busy place though, and conditions now are going to be good, so don't expect to be alone much. Note that if there are queues, they are civilized, the lifts are filled, and they always have a singles line.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 30-12-16 0:12; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@fixx, thanks for all the tips, will check out the SCGB I think I may have won membership !
@philwig, we noticed that in Snowmass/ Aspen everyone was gone by 2.30
@PowderAdict, might be a step to far for us, wasn't thinking of ski touring, not sure I'm up to it
@coops1967, Bar Orso looks good
@Bones, will be heading for a steak
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Free mountain tours are a good option. I wouldn't bother paying for a guide unless you are interested in back country or looking for advanced terrain. As intermediate piste skiers looking to dabble in some off piste you should be fine on your own. Seventh heaven and symphony areas both have nice pistes and the opportunity to play off to the sides in powder and trees. Crystal has a lot of nice cruising and the possibility to cut in and out of the trees. Dave Murray downhill (was used as the Olympic downhill run) and peak to creek are probably the "must do" pistes, although not groomed everyday so check the grooming report first unless you are happy skiing some bumps. Blackcomb glacier is another must do, take the showcase tbar up and follow the short bootpack up. Any particular types of runs you are looking for?

As said above upload early to avoid queues. If Whistler gondola is busy use Fitzsimmons and garbanzo chairs to upload. Blackcomb tends to be a little quieter.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The roundhouse on Whistler is larger and handles lunch crowds better than Rendevous on Blackcomb.
In addition to others mentioned, 21 Steps has a good menu, especially for families. Araxi was very good.
As far as skiing, on the Whistler side, go to Symphony if open and go far right to Flute Bowl. Snowboarders will need to walk out a bit.
Blackcomb Glacier a must. Hike up from t-bar or if you are a good skier, try Spanky's Ladder off of The top of the Glacier chair. It's a short hike as well. I've only been in March when the lower mountain is mashed potatoes or some sort of sticky paste. I would guess, from talking to locals and with the year they are having, conditions are great top to bottom.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Flute bowl and spankys for an intermediate piste skier?! Possibly a little too difficult.

Yes the whole mountain is skiing well. The 50cm we just got in the last 24 hours didn't hurt!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sorry I missed the intermediate part. Best stay with the traditional hike off the t-bar.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@boarder2020, never answered your question on what type of runs, we love cruising reds and blues as well as the odd challenge in a black
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Peak to Peak gondola is worth a ride for the views.
snow conditions
My lad worked in Glacier Creek lodge, big on mountain restaurant place, lots of food options. Also worked in Blacks at the foot of slopes in Whistler, standard bar and American food. My personal faves on mountain where Crystal hut and Horstman Hut as they were a bit more intimate.

Merlins in Blackcomb for a beer or two and burgers etc. Got taken to Pizzeria Antico which was spot on.

I skied a lot, but followed him and his OH a lot!! Symphony, Harmony, 7th Heaven were the best snow. Weather wasn't good enough to consider Spanky's or the bowls,

Can't say I went anywhere I wouldn't say was good. He did 2 years including summers there so it must be ok.
snow report
No red runs here, goes blue to black which are divided into single (easier) and double (harder) diamond. Most blacks are not groomed, and not all blues are groomed every day. Whistler put a grooming report online each morning and there are electronic boards showing which runs have been groomed.

Some nice runs for cruising:
Whistler - Dave Murray downhill, ptarmigan, peak to creek, Jeff's ode to joy
Blackcomb - ridge runner, springboard, lower gear jammer, panorama

If your wife is renting ski's most shops are pretty happy swapping ski's each day. There are sometimes tents at the top of Whistler gondola where you can demo ski's. Not sure exactly what the deal is with these and which dates they are there.

When are you coming? Would be happy to meet up on the mountain one day to show you around.
ski holidays
Merlins at the bottom of Blackcomb for the nachos - spectacular!
Dusty's at Whistler Creekside - the burgers are excellent
ski holidays
Good interesting thread, heading for my first trip to Whistler next month and can't wait! Is it worth doing Fresh Tracks? Heard some horror stories about lifts out of the village in the morning, how long would we expect to wait on a typical weekday arriving at 9am?? (Conscious that weekends will be significantly busier)
ski holidays
@Northernhills,
I've done it twice and think it's worth doing if you don't set expectations too high. Terrain is often limited before 10:00 as alpine lifts seem to open later. I waited 1 1/2 hours last year after a big snowfall and it was ok. Worth doing once for the experience.
snow report
9am is not a great time to arrive at the lifts as you hit ski school uploads. That said a normal weekday queue shouldn't be more than 5-10 minutes for Blackcomb, Whistler gondola is usually longer but you can take Fitzsimmons and garbanzo up which is usually under 5 minutes. Arriving at 8.15 (lifts have been opening 15mins earlier than advertised) and you will walk straight on (even yesterday which was mlk weekend).

Fresh tracks is worth doing. With the time difference you will probably be waking up early anyway. That said you probably will only get a run or two before others get up, and these runs will be limited to emerald, red, garbanzo chair as the alpine doesn't usually open that early.
latest report
Northernhills wrote:
Good interesting thread, heading for my first trip to Whistler next month and can't wait! Is it worth doing Fresh Tracks? Heard some horror stories about lifts out of the village in the morning, how long would we expect to wait on a typical weekday arriving at 9am?? (Conscious that weekends will be significantly busier)

Don't peak turisto time - get a wriggle on and get up earlier.
snow report
Freah tracks worth doing once to hammer some fresh groom. Not worth it on a pow day as you won't be allowed to go anywhere interesting.
snow conditions
@fixx, Good to see you are a convert
ski holidays
@radar, When are you going and where are you staying as it is a big place.

+1 for Summit, they are all owned by mountain now!, but this is right by the main Whistler Gondola and you leave your skis there over night free. Boots too if you pay. They will also let you swap skis as often as you want
latest report
Try the peak to creek run without stopping. Then go to Dusty's for loaded nachos and beer.
latest report
NJ wrote:
Try the peak to creek run without stopping. Then go to Dusty's for loaded nachos and beer.

Seconded!

Also try the Brewhouse for dinner and drinks (near the Olympic rings at the opposite end of the main village from the slopes) - good cocktails and hearty food Very Happy
ski holidays
@boarder2020, can I take a rain check on your offer as @fixx has suggested we are taking advantage of the SKGB leader
@boarder2020, @Jake43, will be out later this week
@Jake43, Summit lodge
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@radar, Good that is a quiet time so no huge queues to worry about.

Second all of the above. Down near the Summit you have Caramba, Brew House, The Keg & Quattro reasonably priced. Spaghetti Factory or El Furniture Warehouse for cheap. Mongolie Grill for strange. And Hys for very expensive but brilliant steak.
You have to go down to Dustys for the Pulled Pork Sarni. Get there early and it is generally quiet during the week.
Other food on the mountain is all very good. Treat yourselves to Christines if feeling flush.
Free guiding each day is well worth it as is the SCGB. The Max4 lessons are good too as sensible price and jump any queues there maybe for the lift. They are more guiding with ski tips rather than full on lessons and you can just do a single day if you want. Pick the weekend days as they are busier.
You are going at a quiet time so probably not huge lift queues (as mentioned above) they are all very well managed anyway. But if it does get busy find Garbanzo chair as it is always pretty quiet with some interesting terrain to just lap it.
Fresh tracks handy as huge breakfast laid on and you will be awake anyway.
Remember off any chair there is always a green run down so no worry about any chairlift.

Have fun we are off over in March
latest report
Jake43 wrote:
... Fresh tracks handy as huge breakfast laid on and you will be awake anyway....

That's not a real breakfast though, just saying.
ski holidays
I'm going to start another thread with Whistler recommendations, but in the meantime
@fixx, found the ski testing $20 and you can test each ski for up to 2 hours. We also did the SCGB hosting very good

Didn't do fresh tracks but were at Crystal Lodge 9 on Saturday and the hut for Waffles by 9.30Ish and it's deserted over there even at the weekend.
@boarder2020, sorry we didn't meet up, took your advice for n lifts to get over Crystal early. Think we did most of your recommended runs

One of our party was late and we missed getting in before ski lesson went up in the Whistler gondola 45 minute queue
@Jake43, you amongst others recommended Caramba and the Keg, did both
@Rosie Ski, did the Brewhouse

We did Bar Oso among some other places

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and tips
ski holidays
@radar, Glad you had a good time, only 5 weeks now to wait for me.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy