Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria: Rauris 2016/17

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Happy New Year! And a friend and I started it with a great day's skiing in Rauris in Salzburger Land. Rauris isn't a giant ski area but I find it attractive. And today perfect weather helped, blue cloudless skies. Like elsewhere artificial snow has played a large part in making the pistes skiable but they were in good condition. An occasional glossy spot was no real problem and most of the snow was good.

One big interest on this visit was a new 10-seat gondola on the Waldalm which replaces the T-bar which was there previously. The photo below shows the bottom station of the lift as it currently is. In the longer term it is planned to extend the gondola down to the valley, replacing the Kreuzboden chairlift, but I don't think there is a definite timescale for that development yet...

I have always thought that the piste here, piste 9, was the perfect carving piste. It encourages even me, generally a relatively slow skier, to ski that bit faster. Now it is even better, for the new gondola goes up a good deal further than the T-bar did. Here is a view looking up the middle section of the piste...

The Rauris ski area has two sections, separated by a gully which has tracks across it. As well as the Waldalm area, there is the Hochalm. We went over there after lunch and had a couple of runs to the top on the Gipfelbahn gondola. This photo is taken on piste 3 leading down from the top...

We decided that we preferred the Waldalm today and so went back over there. The Waldalm was also quieter than the Hochalm, strangely, for I felt the snow was better on the Waldalm.

Definitely a good start to the year!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy