Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Transceiver recommendations

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Looking to upgrade from Tracker. Probably either Pieps Sport or Mammut Element.
interested in any 'in the field' usability feedback (e.g. Real world visibility of display, easy/hard to use with gloves, etc).
Have read beaconreviews, and well-practised with the Trackers.
Thanks
h.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have the Mammut Pulse, which I think is the same form factor and display as the Element? Have used it in real world(ish) scenarios on courses (fortunately not for real) and no problems viewing the screen or using it with gloves on, and it's comfortable when wearing it in the harness. The Pulse is good for multi-burials and has a reasonable range for receiving signals.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I swapped my tracker for a pulse and it's great. I got the pulse due to a good deal, but the element would have been fine. It's very straightforward to use. I used it on an avalanche course and it was quick and easy. Having broken a rib on my tracker I appreciate the small smooth form.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have a Pieps sport. Got it in a kit with shovel and probe. Bought two actually so can practice. Never used for real fortunately, but done practice searching and my 8 year old can use it fine. It is a little bulky, but I think they are all to an extent (?). The strap and case design seems very well thought out (unclip and pull a tab and out it comes on a strap).
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I swapped my old Tracker for the Element when I upgraded. I got a great price on it and I doubted that I would ever need the Pulse's extra features. In practice the screen is easy to see and the search range has proved really good. Multiple burial drills have been fine. Highly rated.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Element here. When we've done practice sessions the Element and Pulse seemed to outperform the others available.

I still like the tracker though, super easy to use.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm not that bothered about features, but which one has the strongest transmission signal?

Twisted Evil
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've got a Pulse, but I have tested the Tracker 3, Pieps DSP Pro and Ortovox S1+ extensively. I also tried the new Avra Axio, but found the unit I tested gave inconsistent results at long range 40m+ (it would direct me in circles).

For me the long range and intelligent fine search on the Pulse make it winner. The intelligent fine search directs you to follow a guided cross pattern once below 3m, and you just follow the arrows and tones. The final probe indication, when testing, always puts me within 10-15cm of the transceiver being searched for.

The other 3 transceivers sometimes indicated 0.0 when still over a 1m horizontally from the searched for transceiver.

You can of course effectively turn the Pulse into an Element, by putting it in basic mode.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Mosha Marc, Your best bet are the Ortovox range, as they have an intelligent transmit feature (SMART-ANTENNA-TECHNOLOGY ™), that works out which of the 3 antenna is best positioned, and puts the power out through that one.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have a Pieps Sport. It is damn near idiot proof. In a panic moment we will all be idiots unless we are pros who thoroughly practice at least weekly. The Pieps Pro is the same but with a bit more oomph for rather a lot more dosh. Simple wallet based choice but as ever....practice makes perfect irrespective of choice.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Pieps DSP Sport here too. I read lots of reviews and it was always at or near the top them for range, reliability and ease of use.

It is very simple to use and that works for me.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I like Scarpa's poem about a carbon monoxide detector. Potentially they could save a lot more lives than transceivers.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy