Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Gopro side helmet mount

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Anyone side mounted a gopro on their helmet? Did you notice the additional weight on one side?

One reason for asking this is thar my gadget mad offspring has just acquired one but he has a tendency to face plant when he gets it wrong. Hoping this might be safer for these types of falls.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You could try a chest harness instead (I have one I've never used, if I can find it you can have it for a bargain price).
Also a pack of adhesive mounts costs very little on Amazon so you can put one on his skis if you like. I have one on my helmet and one on my skis.

To be honest they're pretty tough, I think you could face plant one and not worry about it.

Could always mount it higher up his helmet so it's back from the front edge.

They are pretty weighty things I think it would want to pull the helmet over. And it's important in a crash situation that the helmet is sat in the best place possible.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think it will pull to the side, unless the new smaller cube one is lighter? I have built-in mount on my Giro helmet that is right on the front and I noticed it pulling down onto my goggles.

Chest mount is better. Head moves around too much anyway. Most of the footage we use is from a mount on the end of my ski pole.

@dp, I've thought about a ski mount. Is that on your ski tip facing you? Doesn't it chatter around too much?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Chest mount is better, bit more stable and you get a better POV as more likely to have skis/arms in shot to give perspective. Mine got some serious abuse last week as I spent a large amount of time faceplanting soft snow, seemed to hold up pretty well.

My Session (the little cube one) is mounted on the front of my helmet sometimes but that doesn't seem much of an issue weight wise and it gets some fair abuse. Downside is that it always gets knocked on lifts unless I tilt my head. Quite a few people wear them on the side, don't think it'll make much difference when skiing but could get caught when he falls. Not hugely likely but could catch in the snow and twist his head in a fall, but that kind of depends on how he tends to bail Smile
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

@dp, I've thought about a ski mount. Is that on your ski tip facing you? Doesn't it chatter around too much?

Example here,

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=127603&start=40

adhesive mounts on the ski, forward and behind boot lets you mount camera forward, back pointing at skier or ski.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@SnoodyMcFlude, whether it's a better shot is kinda subjective. One difference - which can be a benefit or detriment - is that the helmet mount follows what you look at and the chest mount follows where you're going. Sometimes it's nice for the camera to see what you're seeing, sometimes it's irritating!

Ski mount, I mainly point if forwards, benefit of being low down is that it makes you look like you're going faster as it's closer to the floor. But it does get hit by more snow. And yes you can angle it back to film yourself. I'm a bit too ugly / self conscious to do that. Bottom of shot is mainly the tip of the ski, but that only means you need to have skis worthy of showing off!

Closer to the binding you mount it the less chatter you get from the ski. It's funny though as you still don't appreciate how much your skis chatter, even in good conditions, until you've watched a camera on a ski mount!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have a rucksack strap mount. It works well for skiing but not so well for boarding (although better than you may imagine). If you ski, I would definitely try one of these. they are about £10.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have the helmet sidemount and do not notice the weight. I did tether it to the helmet strap with a length of braid, just in case, but the adhesive mount was fine. Easy to reach the buttons and reduced risk of knocking it off on chairlift.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You could use one of Ken's Grill Mounts: mouth mounted. Used for surfing a lot, but also for snowboarding.
https://www.prostandard.com/

Although face planting is not a great idea, it has been extensively tested in that circumstance. This looks like powder but was in fact wind-hammered with about 2cm of fluff on top. No teeth damage, the Grill-mounted camera was found where he ended up. The pole mounted camera was about 20m higher up.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BPBdqKElrl2/
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
philwig wrote:
You could use one of Ken's Grill Mounts: mouth mounted. Used for surfing a lot, but also for snowboarding.
https://www.prostandard.com/

Although face planting is not a great idea, it has been extensively tested in that circumstance. This looks like powder but was in fact wind-hammered with about 2cm of fluff on top. No teeth damage, the Grill-mounted camera was found where he ended up. The pole mounted camera was about 20m higher up.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BPBdqKElrl2/

I'm not just dismissing your idea but there are a million rubbish things that I'd still rather do than spend all day skiing with a gopro jammed in my mouth
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I didn't realize you were the OP's offspring, but good luck with the rubbish.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy