Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best snowboard gloves

Poster: A snowHead
Anybody got any suggestions for male large snowboard gloves for someone who suffers from cold hands ,
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Level Fly
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mittens are soooo much better than gloves. They are great for snowboarding but not so useful for skiing (I found they made the poles hard to hold). I got a set of north face himalaya expedition down mittens and they are outstanding. Probably too warm if anything. They come about half way up your forearm, and look a bit like a boxing glove, so there is an aesthetic trade off if you are image conscious.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you would consider Mitts...then Hestra Army Leather Extreme; or Hestra Expedition Mitt, which is even warmer.

Black Diamond also do a Guide Mitt and Guide Lobster Claw.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
As someone who's never felt any shortcomings with his gloves but owns mittens of the same style he's never used, would it actually be worth trying them out? I can't help thinking they'd just be annoyingly fumblefingered.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'd second the Level Fly, I find them too warm if anything!!!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@jjams82, I didn't find the mittens any more fumbly than gloves to be honest. You only really use your thumb for doing up bindings so its much the same. They are a lot more comfortable because the fingers and palm all share heat rather than go it alone.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
+1 for Level gloves... at least, I've had two pairs over the last 17 years of boarding - both fingered and lobster claw. Warm and dry, and good quality. Didn't really have a preference for either type, if i'm honest - both as good. That said, in the last year or two we are going late season as the kids join us, and the weather is warmer - so i've moved on to Salomon Spirit GTX leather gloves - which are now my new favourites. The Levels still feature in my kit bag thou in case of a big snowy day.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I use mitts - they're just warmer and simpler. For operating cameras mitts are quicker to take off, and you can use liners which have fingers so you can get the best of both worlds that way.

Otherwise it depends what type of riding you do - those little "pipe" gloves would not be great in powder, where you want huge gauntlets and fastening systems.

Hestra are popular (both gloves and mitts) in powder but I don't personally like them - I'm no leather fan (it needs proofing..) and they're a bit too "bling" for me. There are lots of technical products in that space.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Are Ami Chaud still around. I have black pair of mittens with leather palm and they are the best gloves ive ever had. They are so warm. They are years old and were a hand me down from my dad. I bought some Hestra Leather Fall Line mitts last year and the Ami Chauds still absolutely wipe the floor with them. Im a skier and have only ever used mitts and never had any problems.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
monkey wrote:
@jjams82, I didn't find the mittens any more fumbly than gloves to be honest. You only really use your thumb for doing up bindings so its much the same. They are a lot more comfortable because the fingers and palm all share heat rather than go it alone.

Cool, I'll give 'em a try next trip, ta.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks all , for some reason I'm drawn to the almost gardening glove look rather than the huge gauntlets that i've had in the past , something like celtek gloves .
ill report back once i've used them
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Kinko 901 for you then.

Kept my hands warm in -12+ in Mayrhofen this week.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
^ this 901 T mitts with a couple of layers of grainger glove wax (available from your local motorbike shop).
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Val D'Isere 2700m is reporting -24C with the chill factor today, been like that for several days. Bought my wife (who does suffer with cold hands) a pair of Marmot Women's Warmest mitts and I've gone for flexibility with a pair of Outdoor Research Mt Baker Modular Mitts. My 16 year old son reckons he doesn't get cold hands, cocky get (I'm taking 3 pairs of Merino liners and some hotties for when he changes his mind).

Happy to report back after half term what those were like. Paid £81 and £99 respectively inc VAT and shipping.
snow report
I've just come back from a week away - and needed to upgrade gloves this year. So took some new Oakley factory winter trigger mittens. Unique design in that you have a thumb and a finger, then the rest of the glove is a mitt. Anyway, found them incredibly warm, and the design makes it easier for opening pockets, piste maps, using phone (the finger works on a touch screen). All round a great pair of gloves
ski holidays
Definitely mittens over gloves... I get freezing cold hands and the combination of having mittens with a bit of insulation (doesn't need to be much) and some liners does the trick - thing is you can then ball your hands up in them if super duper freezing. Easy to snowboard in them and doing up your bindings isn't a hassle once you do it a couple of times.
ski holidays
Hestra army mitts with a very thin silk liner to stop them getting as smelly. Had to take out my teabag hand warmers in -28 c a few weeks ago as my hands were too warm!
latest report
In case others are interested, @gwatts10 also posted his question in the Snowboarding forum: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=129474
latest report
I've had toasty warm hands in most conditions using Candy Grind gloves, I sometimes supplement with Decathlon Silk Liners for the coldest days. I've always preferred the dexterity of gloves. I find these Candy Grind are made from quality leather and are pretty waterproof, especially if you treat them with Nixwax leather proofing once a season. The top end all leather gloves come with a zip pocket containing a 100% mit cover for extreme weather, I've used this a couple of times in -25c and or spring when its raining rather than snow.
snow conditions
I've been using Hestra Army Heli Ski 3 fingered gloves for a couple of years. They are brilliant and your hands just stay at normal temp... not hot nor cold.

https://jamhill.co.uk/product/hestra/hestra-army-heli-ski-3-finger-gloves?id=16827&gclid=CjwKEAiA8JbEBRCz2szzhqrx7H8SJAC6FjXXlv4N0sSQ0IC2eeBFh25NkRvwTI7E7mS8c5_2YO46xxoCc3nw_wcB

My missus was near to tears in Val last week (-20 at the top of the Olympic) with cold hands in her Scott mitts. So I bought her a pair of standard Hestra mitts. Problem solved.
latest report
jjams82 wrote:
monkey wrote:

Cool, I'll give 'em a try next trip, ta.

Bumping this thread to say I'm a mitts convert now. Half way through the PreBBWuW I thought I'd give 'em a try, left my regular gloves in my bag just in case i didn't like the mitts, where they still are today. Mitts stayed on for the rest of that trip and the 13thBB week too. Love 'em. Now perhaps to get a real nice pair... Hmm.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy