Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best Corduroy ?

Poster: A snowHead
It had snowed the previous evening, so there was fresh snow everywhere. The bashers had been out overnight.

I overheard this while waiting for a ski lift the following morning.

"That was the best Corduroy run I have skied in my life!"

Is that really a thing? Do others really cherish the "Corduroy"?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bod wrote:
Do others really cherish the "Corduroy"?

Absolutely!! As much as I love a bit of powder, I have neither the ability or style to do it real justice. However, on a well groomed fresh piste, first thing in the morning... I feel amazing!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It's nice but if there is fresh snow everywhere it wouldn't be top of my priority list Puzzled
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you can't enjoy a freshly prepared piste with nice, firm snow you're doing it wrong.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Even as a snowboarder I love a well groomed fresh piste. Mostly for speed and distance when the off piste is tracked out or 'missing!'
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Stop the Brutal Grooming
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yeah a well groomed piste is an experience. Maybe if you don't know how to carve properly. I've got my list of the best groomed runs. Thunderball to Golden Horn at Aspen Highlands might be my pick for perfect Cord.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If it's not cord then it's often hard, icy and really hard to get a grip before things soften up.
I remember taking school trips years ago when many bashes would simply flatten it with no cord. It was lethal for the beginner kids, particularly if conditions were soft and slow when they were last skiing, which would be the evening before.

Never understood this stop the brutal grooming stance apart from those trying to look macho. Europe was losing skiers in alarming numbers to the US in the early nineties due to the incomparable experience of a resort that invested in piste maintainance and one where you wreck a pair of skis in a week by skiing over earth and rocks and bare patches were fenced off all over the mountain. These in the days of significantly higher snowfall then today.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
As a snowboarder, yeah. The goal is to lay pencil thin arcs down on that stuff until it's done. If you mean: "if there is fresh snow everywhere.... would you ride cord over powder", that would be a different question, but there's almost always fresh cord and powder can be a lot harder to find at a resort.

People even post photos of it:
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
philwig, Yours ? Great curves Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Nice curves!

Cord can be rather harsh first thing in the morning after a frozen night, but you're probably right that it's better than the alternative (icy irregular lumps / sheet ice).
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Bod wrote:
Do others really cherish the "Corduroy"?

Absolutely. To the extent that I wanted to call my band 'crispy corduroy'. I was outvoted three to one...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
philwig wrote:
As a snowboarder, yeah. The goal is to lay pencil thin arcs down on that stuff until it's done. If you mean: "if there is fresh snow everywhere.... would you ride cord over powder", that would be a different question, but there's almost always fresh cord and powder can be a lot harder to find at a resort.

Was that bashed by a really small pistebasher? Short radius turns in one pistebasher track width would be quite a challenge...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The most common question I get when I rent my apartment in Val Thorens, apart from where do I get my towels from, is how good a job do the piste bashers do?

I think the vaste majority of people taking skiing holidays are looking for corduroy snow. Maybe their teenage kids want the snowpark and a bit of off piste.

The small number of people using this forum are not representative of skiers generally
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
They used to piste during the day in Schladming. Riding down behind a basher as it laid down fresh corduroy was amazing. No more daytime pisteing now though.
ski holidays
Best corduroy I've ever skied was in Vail bar none . . .did some behind the basher runs in Solden a couple of weeks ago!
ski holidays
rob@rar, don't think it is, just a very good driver, you see at least one overlapping join.
snow conditions
Apart from a little dusting of spring snow on a well prepared piste I'd take corduroy over fresh snow every time.
snow conditions
Belch wrote:
... did some behind the basher runs in Solden a couple of weeks ago!

Nice Very Happy
latest report
@philwig, Nice line Toofy Grin That's the sort of run that has yer hand down yer keks adjusting the wee stiffie you've developed from the sheer pleasure of deflowering virgo intacta cord . . . It also makes joining the lift queue and sitting down a bit more comfortable . . . .

. . . TMI?

I'm tired, grumpy, . . old, fat and ugly . . . I'll take my pleasures when and where I can find them wink
latest report
@cameronphillips2000, "years ago"

I remember a memorable first run down the White Lady (Cairngorm) in I guess 1985 on perfect cord. So you must have been either well before that or somewhere well rough.
ski holidays
Masque wrote:
. . . TMI?

wink probably. Those are not mine, by the way.
snow report
under a new name wrote:
@cameronphillips2000, "years ago"

I remember a memorable first run down the White Lady (Cairngorm) in I guess 1985 on perfect cord. So you must have been either well before that or somewhere well rough.

some did it, some didn't. Andorra was the worst I came across in the mid eighties. I remember one resort where they only bashed one run. I think they were saving on their diesel bill.
latest report
I love the pistes when they're freshly bashed, they're lovely and quick and I love the sensation.
I also hate powder so there's that!
snow report
Groomers are for beginners and intermediates to make them feel good. But it can be fun to shred them from time to time.
latest report
About four years ago, Plan / Piste M in Val D'Isere was when I first learned what carving proper felt like. First lift, first run every day that week... It doesn't get great 'reviews', but all the proper skiers seemed to go further afield so I managed to get three runs on pristine corderoy every morning.

My recent my fave was been the Dave Murray Downhill in Whistler. Followed by breakfast in Creekside.
snow report
Anyone know what the Swedes call "corduroy" ?
ski holidays
"Manchester backe" according to my Swedish wife, Weathercam. Corduroy, in Swedish, is Manchester, apparently. Make of that what you will!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@grazzenger, I know bonkers, could not believe it when the Swedish guide I was with a couple of weeks back said that !
snow report
@Whitegold, I suppose you find it a little painful dragging that massive d??k over icy couduroy.
On a non powday first runs, railing on a southern facing piste can be as exhilarating (well almost)as a heli drop in super deep in the Monashees , it's just what's in front of you.
snow conditions
grazzenger wrote:
"Manchester backe" according to my Swedish wife, Weathercam. Corduroy, in Swedish, is Manchester, apparently. Make of that what you will!

How did they translate that film Manchester By The Sea? "Japanese raked sand" ?
latest report
Bod wrote:
It had snowed the previous evening, so there was fresh snow everywhere. The bashers had been out overnight.

I overheard this while waiting for a ski lift the following morning.

"That was the best Corduroy run I have skied in my life!"

Is that really a thing? Do others really cherish the "Corduroy"?

Absolutely - I love a powder day, but a freshly groomed, empty "corduroy" run after fresh snow (when everyone else is off-piste, tracking out that fresh powder), on a pair of SL or GS race skis? Laying it over so you're nearly horizontal, loving the turns?

Heaven.
snow conditions
The glacier runs at L2A are lovely gentle corduroy runs...if it's not a howling gale up there
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
philwig wrote:

Was that bashed by a really small pistebasher? Short radius turns in one pistebasher track width would be quite a challenge...

Folks who do this kind of Skiing should be SHOT !!

If you are going to ski on Piste. Short Tight Turns in the Width of One Cat groomed track. i.e 10+ short turns (no poles/sticks) for every one lazy carve turn
snow report
Nonsense. Ski how you like as long as you're not a danger to anyone else. Good trolling, though.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy