Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

UCPA solo vs normal weeks?/Chamonix solo skier

Poster: A snowHead
I'm a 23 y/o female skier going solo this year.

I just came across UCPA and the packages remaining for their specific solo weeks are too expensive for me. Chamonix has some special offers on other weeks and it's a resort I've always wanted to check out.

Does anyone have experience of staying in a UCPA alone on a non-solo week? I'm used to travelling solo and am not shy to introduce myself to people in hostels but could be intimidating if it's full of groups in their 30s and I'm the baby!

Any other twenty-somethings heading to Chamonix UCPA this February/March? I'm confident on piste and enjoy tackling moguls and tree runs but technique is less than stylish on tougher terrain... so gonna go for the full time lessons. Definitely keen for apres and maybe a night out or two but skiing is more important this time round!

Thanks!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi @blubird - I've no experience of UCPA so personally I'm zero use here but Welcome to snowHeads anyway snowHead

Normally, as a solo, I'd point you at the bashes but tbh there's nothing that really suits what you say you're after.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi @blubird, I'm looking to do Chamonix in Mid-Feb. I've dropped you a PM
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi @blubird, in my experience youldd be fine: UCPA always social, and youll get to meet people throuhh the tuition too.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yep, I was in Chamonix UCPA New Year wk and there were lots of solos, of all ages. You'll not have a problem. UCPA tend to room solo skiers together too, so you'll meet people from the get go.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thank you everyone Smile That's just what I needed to hear
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm heading to cham UCPA, booked through action outdoors, with a group on 4th March. I'm on planks, they're on tea trays. Had to book into the full tuition week as others had sold but unsure how much / if going to use it atm tbh!

If you happen to book this week shout on here or drop a PM, be happy to say hello and hit a few pistes - I'll be doing nothing off-piste personally, but the rest may venture!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@N0rthernMonkey, me and a mate are there 4th to 8th Mar, will be in touch but always happy to have skiers along with us and inevitable beer in the bar in the evenings. Last year we found it really easy to opt in and out of lessons as we felt like, it isn't disruptive to the more advanced stuff where it is really coaching individuals rather than getting everyone to a particular standard in order to progress etc.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I did a UCPA in VDI over Christmas, by myself. There was a mixture of solo and group skiers, and it was brilliant - everybody was super sociable, never once ate or skied alone. The lessons were an extra avenue to meet people. You have nothing be scared of, as long as you are comfortable with introducing yourself to groups of strangers! And the friends you make there might mean you'll never have to go skiing alone again Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Digger the dinosaur, sounds like a plan. Think there will be about 5-6 of us! From the wilds of the North mind! Don't say you weren't warned! snowHead
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi blue bird
I have done a solo week at Cham with upca. whilst doing a off piste course. It was great one of my most memorable holidays, but ucpa cham is a very long way from the slopes and a bus ride is needed there and back which can get very busy. I've also been val thorens and valdisere which are both ski in and ski out. Val thorens is a long walk from the centre but valdisere is lively and 5 min away, if I had to return I'd choose which to go back I'd choose valdisere.

Hope that helps
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
made for it wrote:
Hi blue bird
I have done a solo week at Cham with upca. whilst doing a off piste course. It was great one of my most memorable holidays, but ucpa cham is a very long way from the slopes and a bus ride is needed there and back which can get very busy. I've also been val thorens and valdisere which are both ski in and ski out. Val thorens is a long walk from the centre but valdisere is lively and 5 min away, if I had to return and choose which to go back to I'd choose valdisere.

Hope that helps
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've gone before on non solo weeks on myown with action outdoors before, always been great craic and I wouldn't see any need to go on the specific solo weeks. The two specific things I would say is make sure you book with the actions outdoors, and not the UCPA, if you book with the UCPA expect to be thrown into a bunk with all french speakers, who might have very little or no English (well in fairness that would be a great way to brush up on your french if you wanted to ha), the 2nd thing go email the Action outdoors before you book, and ask them have many other people booked through the action outdoors to the resort on the week that you want to go, if they say nobody thats obviously not great ha, the more the better banter to be had!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Tim818, is it going to be full of loud British teenagers giving all the 'bantz'

I don't want that
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
made for it wrote:
Hi blue bird
I have done a solo week at Cham with upca. whilst doing a off piste course. It was great one of my most memorable holidays, but ucpa cham is a very long way from the slopes and a bus ride is needed there and back which can get very busy. I've also been val thorens and valdisere which are both ski in and ski out. Val thorens is a long walk from the centre but valdisere is lively and 5 min away, if I had to return I'd choose which to go back I'd choose valdisere.

Hope that helps

Tignes UCPA not bad either, more snow sure, and the building just after refurbished. Same ski pass as for VDI obviously. Night life not as good in Tignes as VDI, but there are still loads of bars and clubs.
snow conditions
dp wrote:
@Tim818, is it going to be full of loud British teenagers giving all the 'bantz'

I don't want that

Nope not from any of my experances, its strictly u18s anyways (considering they have a full bar etc ha), they usually team you up with people of a reasonably similar age (I think in my room the lads were usually likes of 25 to late 30s), usually same gender however I have heard of mixed gender rooms which is the only thing that might be a stumbling block for some people ha. The whole there for the total bantz crowd seem to go through the more traditional route of normal ski operators with flights etc included, or just all team up and hire a full chalet doing it DIY. The resort makes a huge diff also, VDI and Chamoix you'll get alot more of that sorta crowd than other places with less night life, like La Plagne/Flaine/Tignes etc.
ski holidays
@N0rthernMonkey,

Hi
I'm booked on off piste course chamonix ucpa on 4 March. I'm Another northerner and would like to find some ski and drinking buddies. If you want to meet up let me know

Rob
snow conditions
Have been on loads of 'non-solo' UCPA weeks on my own and have had nothing but great experiences. The very idea of them having dsignated 'solo weeks' is a bit stupid because UCPA has always been touted as great for solo travellers.

It is super easy to make friends - everyone is on the same page. Book as a solo female thru action outdoors and you will almost certainly be in a female room with other solo English speakers. The centres that AO book at have a high % of English speakers and I never experienced any issues with people not willing to talk to me in English.

You will make buddies with your roomies, lesson-mates, your lesson mates roomies, your roomies lesson mates, people in the bar, people in the dining room... etc Just be open and friendly and happy to ask "Can I sit here?" at dinner on your first night.
ski holidays
@robert44, good stuff. As said previously there will be about 5-6 of us (not organising so cant remember) so gimme a shout closer to the time! Smile
snow report
@N0rthernMonkey will do
latest report
By the way, I had an incredible week. Thanks for all your advice! Wrote a blog about it for anyone who comes across this thread in the future Very Happy https://lifegemsonline.wordpress.com/2017/02/17/ucpa-chamonix-skiing-on-a-budget/
snow report
I'm off to Cham on the 18th with UCPA...such a great deal for £550 all-in with lessons. Thanks @blubird for sharing your blog it was just what I wanted to hear!!

Is anyone out there at the same time as me?
snow conditions
@thegirlouise, checkout the snowbuddy
ski holidays
@N0rthernMonkey,

Arrived at UCPA chamonix. Let me know if you fancy a drink later
ski holidays
I have just booked UCPA Chamonix (via Action Outdoors) for 18th - 25th March. Their special offer disappeared for a few days, but its back at £550 for accom/board/hire/pass/lessons for all levels.

Only additional cost is flight/transfer or snowbus which are both still at low cost.

https://www.action-outdoors.co.uk/activities/search-results?SearchActivity=1&Resort=Chamonix

Let me know if any of you book - I'm yet to decide between flight or bus.

Lucy, 36, intermediate skier.

@thegirlouise, guess I might see you there.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy