Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Average cost of 1 week

Poster: A snowHead
blahblahblah wrote:
andyrew wrote:
Crystal are doing Planibel in La Thuile sunday 29th for £241 pp from Gatwick (based on 2). Lift passes £178, ski hire can be had £99 (or £80).

It's been on offer for over a week - can't understand why it's not being snapped up.

On a coach?

So, with passes and flying is £1096 for 2 self catering in a quiet week? Not a super deal really.

Really? , £500pp flights transfers AND lift pass AND ski hire sounds pretty good to me,
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The best I ever managed was booking a whole chalet in Tignes 12th of March 2015. Catered for 7 nights ski hire lift passes the whole thing £649 each with Neilsen. Booking the whole chalet out meant we got buy one get one free on lift passes which made the deal so good.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@andyrew, I suggested that to my girlfriend and she was having none of it! Annoying!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
JordanJSY wrote:
@andyrew, I suggested that to my girlfriend and she was having none of it! Annoying!

The best I can suggest is a change of girlfriend Skullie
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
andyrew wrote:
JordanJSY wrote:

The best I can suggest is a change of girlfriend Skullie

Seems like the only logical solution.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We tend to average about £2,000 for 3 of us for a week away inc lift passes and ski carriage (costs a similar amount to hiring usually). It is usually 3 people sharing a room, so we do get a small discount, but this is always school holidays. This doesn't include spending money.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I always do evening meal in Austria organise directly in three star in Lech around 100 euros transfers flight £250 ski pass another £250 so this year £1100 per person but that was Christmas still good value as meal in evenings are amazing... ski in ski out and on mountain cheaper than France. Hire or buy your skis / boots Swiss air do not charge for carriage and save £100=£150 per person so a couple ski trips recovered cots...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Val in March , accommodation 220 per head , tax on the air miles flight 35 quid £££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££ eating ourselves silly in some great eateries plus beer Smile
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
In 10 years of skiing with my son who was 4 and is now 15, I've never gone over 1000 for the two of us, if i have then its only 50-100 over.

We've had 4 catered chalets within that, there are deals to be had as long as you not fussy about location and can be flexible.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just back from Puy-St-Vincent, we booked our own flights to Turin, s/c apartment, hired a car, rented skis, got deals on lift passes and had two kids in childcare with the older one getting an hours lesson each day for about £2200, including food, drinks, etc. No lessons for the adults but plenty of vin chaud instead. Not too bad... Have to start paying fines or peak prices from next year Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
harvsurrey,

Gardena, Thorens, D'Aosta, D'Isere?
Puzzled

Go on. Give us a clue! wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
SAS Heathrow to Oslo £440 (total cost for 4)
Car Hire total cost £79
Chalet hire total cost £950
Ski Hire Total cost £942 including boots skis and passes
Total cost £2411
Cost per person£602
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@warbis66, How much are you paying for fuel for the hire car? Have you included the extra cost of drinks in Norway?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
D'isere

Hire care is 70 per head , tolls 25 , parking 15

Fuel 5

Lift pass this year is 280 as we are Saturday to Sunday , so all in for 5 it's not a bad price

7 person apartment with 2 bedrooms so not squeezed in

Oh and paid pre brexit Happy in full @ 1.28 to 1
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
James the Last wrote:
zikomo wrote:
3 x nights in lovely hotel with a Michelln star restaurant

No more disappointing way to eat at the best of times, let alone when on a skiing holiday... Skullie

JordanJSY wrote:
@James the Last, Nope I don't want to know cheapest possible but just want to see what other people pay for similar standard holidays. Unfortunately for me I have a fairly fussy girlfriend who cant stand long transfers or being further than 100m from a lift...haha
Crystal is the bargain basement, and self catering is the bottom of that barrel. An expensive way of booking a holiday, IMO.

Can you let me know which Michellin starred restaurants you have had disappointing experiences in so I can avoid in the future? It really would be helpful as we eat out a lot both in the UK and abroad so always good to know where to avoid.
snow conditions
Quote:
SAS Heathrow to Oslo £440 (total cost for 4)
Car Hire total cost £79
Chalet hire total cost £950
Ski Hire Total cost £942 including boots skis and passes
Total cost £2411
Cost per person£602
snow report
snow report

Did you not eat anything or drink anything whilst you were away?
Did you walk to Heathrow airport and back?
Petrol?

That aint the total cost, is it? rolling eyes
snow conditions
I usually get ten weeks for about £1000, all in. That's driving both ways, and a season's lift pass. I am pretty frugal with eating and drinking while I am on my solo ski season.

Plus the astronomical cost of owning an apartment in Switzerland. Smile
snow report
@TheGeneralist, to be fair, you'd be paying to eat & drink if you stayed at home, so it's only an uplifted price you should consider...
snow report
TheGeneralist wrote:
Did you not eat anything or drink anything whilst you were away?
Did you walk to Heathrow airport and back?
Petrol?

That aint the total cost, is it? rolling eyes

No, but that's not what the post actually asked:

JordanJSY wrote:
... how much you pay on average for a weeks skiing including flights, transfers, lift passes and equipment rentals.

Though arguably including airport parking if you fly is sensible when comparing against say tunnel/ferry+driving.

Food/drink for comparative purposes is a grey area and won't gives apples for apples, as some people will be dining in Michelin Starred restaurants, having full restaurant lunches, others taking a picnic and home self catering, some will be smashing down 8 pints a night at 7 euros a hit on top of earlier apres ski, others will have a glass of supermarket vino in the evening, and that makes a huge difference. Suppose some peoples holiday cost includes chalet board catering so that would be useful to know.
ski holidays
zikomo wrote:
Can you let me know which Michellin starred restaurants you have had disappointing experiences in so I can avoid in the future? It really would be helpful as we eat out a lot both in the UK and abroad so always good to know where to avoid.

I've never had a disappointing experience in a Michellin (sic) starred restaurant, not sure where you read that - nor even a Michelin starred one. But they're not exactly the place to go for hearty food after a day's skiing, hence a disappointing way to eat!
snow report
James the Last wrote:
zikomo wrote:

I've never had a disappointing experience in a Michellin (sic) starred restaurant, not sure where you read that - nor even a Michelin starred one. But they're not exactly the place to go for hearty food after a day's skiing, hence a disappointing way to eat!

Oh I see, I did read this differently. I assumed you had eaten at a few 1+ star restaurants and been disappointed.
I suggest you try it one day, you might well be surprised. Happy to suggest quite a few (including the Fletschhorn in Sass Fee where we will stay for 3 days) which serve hearty food alongside a tasting menu. Marcus Neff even did a pizza and move night for my kids last year so my wife and I could enjoy a romantic dinner together.
snow report
I tend not to be bothered after a day's skiing. I want a quart of tea, a shower, a drink, another drink and some tall tales and some scrumptious food washed down with a bottle of claret, rather than being fussed over with inconsequential choices and being treated like an incapable 18-month-old child.
latest report
Quote:

Marcus Neff even did a pizza and move night

I like the concept - as opposed to a pizza and stay still night.

@TheGeneralist, Since I generrally self cater on ski trips and food and wine together about cost the same price as at home I never include food costs into the ski trip prices. Afterall I will eat and drink wherever I am
ski holidays
Oh! I forget to subtract the saving of switching the heating off at home.
snow report
*looks at all the answers*

*keeps very schtum about last week in Val d'Isere*
ski holidays
It's interesting to see how many people go about booking their holidays too...Driving/flying self catering/catered, chalet/apartments etc.
latest report
johnE wrote:
Oh! I forget to subtract the saving of switching the heating off at home.

Well I don't so no saving there.

Dont forget if you self cater to account for the nearly full bottle of oil, coffee etc you will leave behind.

I went with my brother in law once and he came up with a money saving plan of making hot chocolate at the apartment instead of paying for fabulous chantilly infused works of art at the nearby cake shop. Kids were disgusted, and refused to accept the travesty, and insisted that it was their holiday as well and they should ( correctly) have a few luxuries. I have given up caring what it costs on a ski holiday.
snow report
James the Last wrote:
I tend not to be bothered after a day's skiing. I want a quart of tea, a shower, a drink, another drink and some tall tales and some scrumptious food washed down with a bottle of claret, rather than being fussed over with inconsequential choices and being treated like an incapable 18-month-old child.

Ok to each their own, and I have certainly not passed any judgement on how you like to spend your time on a skiing holiday. Don't really see the need to be so pejorative on the subject though. A fine restaurant has certainly never treated me like an incapable toddler, and neither do I find it a "disappointing" experience. But then I am confident enough to be comfortable in all sorts of environments. I guess it also helps to have extensive experience of what is being discussed, I have had plenty of the sort of evening you describe (and thoroughly enjoy that sort of thing) but it is very clear you do not have a clue when it comes to the sort of restaurants I am talking about.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Dont forget if you self cater to account for the nearly full bottle of oil, coffee etc you will leave behind.

It's still there when I get home.

Seriosly though I do throw more food away at the end of a ski trip than usual, potatoes and lettuce for example do not seem to travel well.
snow report
blahblahblah wrote:
Kids were disgusted, and refused to accept the travesty, and insisted that it was their holiday as well and they should ( correctly) have a few luxuries. I have given up caring what it costs on a ski holiday.

Pfft, kids need to be read the riot act then NehNeh Would never have got away with that with my folks, if I complained that the gruel was tepid then I'd spend the night on the streets. Tough growing up in the late '80s, early '90s.
snow report
zikomo wrote:
I suggest you try it one day, you might well be surprised. Happy to suggest quite a few (including the Fletschhorn in Sass Fee where we will stay for 3 days) which serve hearty food alongside a tasting menu. Marcus Neff even did a pizza and move night for my kids last year so my wife and I could enjoy a romantic dinner together.

Did the meal on the EoSB last year which was at 2* restaurant. Very, very nice food and I'll do it again if there's the chance, but I still needed extra to make up for all the skiing I did. TBH I'm quite happy making do with having a few beers in the shower/bath and then scoffing down copious amounts of bread and cheese...but I'd guess I'm on a different budget to you Laughing
ski holidays
johnE wrote:
Quote:

It's still there when I get home.

Seriosly though I do throw more food away at the end of a ski trip than usual, potatoes and lettuce for example do not seem to travel well.

I meant the ones you leave at the apartment. Laughing
snow report
SnoodyMcFlude wrote:
blahblahblah wrote:
Kids were disgusted, and refused to accept the travesty, and insisted that it was their holiday as well and they should ( correctly) have a few luxuries. I have given up caring what it costs on a ski holiday.

Pfft, kids need to be read the riot act then NehNeh Would never have got away with that with my folks, if I complained that the gruel was tepid then I'd spend the night on the streets. Tough growing up in the late '80s, early '90s.

Indeed, but now they have childline on speed dial, and children only seem to mix with children of super achieving parents, I am often challenged on our lack of paddocks/swimming pools/holiday homes/Bentleys etc Why can't they just be friends with the Mock-tudors or the Volvo-fords? Instead of Little Chanel Aston-Martin and Swarovski Rocking-Horse.
latest report
The last two holidays I have managed to get a family of 4 for under £3000 which includes a night before in the airport and parking, lift passes, hire equipment and both kids into ski school for mornings. Yes it is budget accommodation but we are hardly there so don't see the point in paying for the savoy. This year was pretty much bang on £3000 to Avoriaz and last year was Chamrousse for about £2500. Not sure we could afford to go if it was
much more to be honest but we had a fantastic time last year. Plenty of offers out the but depends how high you set your standards I suppose.
latest report
We've been to VT over the Easter holidays for the last three years and have always managed 2800-3000 for 2 adults 2 children. Easyjet flights, self drive, self cat 2 bed apartment, vt family pass, parking, ski hire, private lessons for girls together and ski hire.
ski holidays
Quote:

andyrew wrote:
Crystal are doing Planibel in La Thuile sunday 29th for £241 pp from Gatwick (based on 2). Lift passes £178, ski hire can be had £99 (or £80).

It's been on offer for over a week - can't understand why it's not being snapped up.

On a coach?

So, with passes and flying is £1096 for 2 self catering in a quiet week? Not a super deal really.

No that includes flights. £ 258 from Manchester for us Northerners !
snow report
zikomo wrote:
) but it is very clear you do not have a clue when it comes to the sort of restaurants I am talking about.

A bit uncalled for, don't you think?
ski holidays
heads and back bottom's . . . . show me some light please?
ski holidays
We are working on around £1300 ea for a family of 5 this year. That is 3 Vallees staying in la Tania, Flights, Private Transfers, Catered Lodge, Lift Passes, Ski Hire, Lessons for the kids and a nanny, during the first week of April. May seem expensive, but skiing with kids adds up and cutting on something like a catered chalet means you end up having skied a day with 3 hungry mouths baying. When they are a bit older we will look at self catering.

By comparison, me and 6 mates are heading to Megeve for a weekend's skiing. We're doing that for £450 ea (Flights, private Trans, Self Cater Apartment, Hire and Passes). its a completely different holiday.
snow report
In previous years by booking late deals we've managed to get a catered chalet/hotel package (including flights and transfers) for around £350-£400. There don't seem to be as many deals around so far yet this year though Sad . Self catering deals are cheaper but then you obviously have food costs to allow for and the hassle of cooking or eating out, so for me catered is worth the extra upfront cost. Also I find if I have a big chalet breakfast and afternoon tea when I get back at 4-ish I don't really need to buy lunch on the slopes (a mars bar in the pocket is enough), so save money on lunches every day (plus more time skiing Very Happy). Free wine in the chalet means we tend not to spend anything in the evening! Very Happy

Lift passes cost whatever they are. There's not much you can do about those although obviously the smaller resorts will be cheaper. I guess typically you're looking at around £200 for a week these days (more for the big resorts)

Ski hire is normally cheaper if you do it through one of the online agents like Slopefox or Alpinresorts rather than book with the tour operator. Can normally get reasonable kit for around £80 - £100 for the week (cheaper for kids gear)

So has generally worked out around £700 pp plus a bit of spending money. Not too bad really and no more than many people would spend on a standard week's summer beach holiday abroad.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy