Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best place for lunch in Avoriaz/PdS?

Poster: A snowHead
Please can I have some recommendations for an on-the-slopes restaurant for lunch in Avoriaz/PdS. Cost is irrelevant (this is intended to be a splurge trip) but we don't want to get suck in Morzine after lunch....

Thanks. snowHead
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My favourites are in the goat village just below Linderets, I've been to a couple (La Cremaliere and the one dead opposite it whose name escapes me), and they were both excellent. Otherwise Llhottys above Les Gets was good too
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@1556garyt, are you making a trip over from Nendaz or are you staying in PdS?

In recent experience the finest dining we've experienced has been the Paika in Les Gets. La Cremaillere is good but somewhat mountain food and with a definite lending towards mushrooms (I am not a fan of mushrooms) but good, good value and very convivial. La Terrasse next door has been updated I think and was a firm favourite for a long time.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Grande Ourse in Les Gets, Mont Chery. Unfortunately, you'll have to make it back to Morzine afterwards, but it's worth it. You'll also probably have to book especially at half term. On the Avoriaz side take @whitters advice and try the Linderets restaurants off the red run down to the Ardent lift, can't go wrong if you try the first restaurant on the left as you enter the village - can't remember the name but may have been La Cremaliere (or the one opposite Very Happy )

Edit: Just checked the website for La Grande Ourse and it hasn't been updated since last season, better check it's still the same quality place before booking, be a great shame if it's no more as I was hoping to visit it for lunch next week
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Goes back to my original question: day trip from Nendaz? via col de Morgins? or staying locally? There are good restos scattered throught the PdS and to a certain extent it's not necessary to detour enormously.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Goat Village, Lindarets, Le Chaudron is quite good, but i think there are better ones. I'm guessing the kebab hut is off the list? not been there for ten years but it was very good when needing fast calories!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Changabang burgers was our favourite by far for lunch. Cordon bleu it ain't but fresh, very tasty and relatively cheap.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
1556garyt wrote:
Please can I have some recommendations for an on-the-slopes restaurant for lunch in Avoriaz/PdS. Cost is irrelevant (this is intended to be a splurge trip) but we don't want to get suck in Morzine after lunch....

Thanks. snowHead
I think you may have to wait till evening for that kind of splurging
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Grande Ourse was great. I'm sure I had a burger that went: rosti, burger, rosti, burger, rosti. Plus fries.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Burgers rosti and chips are all very well but I can get that anywhere, including at home, made by myself. A treat-lunch surely is a little different?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I think there are lots of good restaurants in PdS, some even very good, but sadly none classify as great, in my opinion. By great, I mean special occasion restaurants where everything is perfect and the food outstanding. Something like Chez Vrony in Zermatt.

La Terrase for the plat du jour (Linderets), Folies de Neige for the daily rotisseried suckling pig, Chez Crepy - book the upstairs table if you're a big group of 8+ (both Plaine Dranse) and l'Abricotine (Brochaux) are my favourites, all good but none achieve greatness for me. There are also a couple of good ones at Super Morzine, but I forget their names.

I once went to La Paika, following several recommendations on here and I was disappointed. It's a very nice place, but anywhere that puts squeezy bottled sauce on the table, with Heinz written on it, in France, isn't trying hard enough to be great. Also they couldn't cook a simple cote de boeuf properly, but the service, style and setting were all a very high standard.

I'll try to get to Grande Ourse sometime. There has to be somewhere in the PdS that really knocks socks off.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
La Ferme near Lindarets and L'Abricotine were both good spots for lunch
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The terrace at La Foilleuse in Morgins has the best view into he whole of the PdS in my opinion. It isn't very posh though!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Our favourite is Chez Nannon - under the Troncs lift in Nyon. Book if you want to be inside.

Paika, expensive, but great.

We don't get the fuss around the Grand Ourse, too British for us perhaps. We prefer the Mushroom down the back.

La Cremaillaire in Lindarets is our fave over that side - €€€€€

Half way down the Linga on the right - can't remember it's name, but cosy inside with good quality plat du jour.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
under a new name wrote:
Burgers rosti and chips are all very well but I can get that anywhere, including at home, made by myself. A treat-lunch surely is a little different?

Agreed.

I found PdS poor for top quality food. Seems that all the "best" places sell the same stuff but slightly (and only slightly) more chefy and more expensive. I asked about this last year and went to the best recommendations and didn't think any were great vs the normal tourist trap places.

My humble opinion of eating in ski resorts is that it's all about finding the venue with the best service, decor and ambience so that you can kick back and enjoy a long session.
snow report
@Badbobby, you need to visit Monterosa then...
ski holidays
Le Vaffieu, at the top of the Nabor chair on the Pleney ridge, is good as well, along the lines of Chez Nannon. If you want to be on the Avoriaz side, we like La Passe Montagne in the Lindarets bowl, but as others have said its no better or worse than some of the others in goat village, or Les Brochaux. We've tried several of the restaurants in Avoriaz village itself, that are by the run down to the chairlifts, and decided La Poya to be the best of them, but again not fine dining.
snow report
snowfraise wrote:

Half way down the Linga on the right - can't remember it's name, but cosy inside with good quality plat du jour.

La Leiche - nice place and a frequent stop for us but fine dining it ain't.
ski holidays
Hi just after some decent recommendations in Avoriaz for family's to eat lunch and dinner that is good but reasonably priced. We only have Avoriaz area lift passes. We aim to pick the kids up from ski school then aim to do a couple more runs (blue/green) and then get some lunch. Having never been just wondering how easy it is to get around the resort at dinner time once we have dropped the ski's off. Cheers for any advice
ski holidays
Skiing down to the top of the Super Morzine lift would fit in with your lunch plans - there's two or three places down there, one just above the lift station with "grenouille" in the the title, and the other another 100m up the piste to the left from the lift station from it (you can ski into both coming from Avoriaz). Then it is an easy lift/ski/lift combo to get back to Avoriaz (all blue/green in both directions).
latest report
That sounds great we will look into those.
snow report
@1556garyt, lots of very good ones (and a few duffers) mentioned above.
@snoozeboy, Of course PdS does not attract the same clientele as Zermatt, but I would be surprised if La Reserve, Avoriaz doesn't meet your fine dining criteria. https://restaurant.michelin.fr/643l3cz/la-reserve-avoriaz . And yes it's ski-in ski-out and they do do lunch!
@snowfraise, agreed
@Badbobby, tough crowd! It's true people come to the mountains to eat "mountain food" so it is all a bit samey, but I can't agree there's little difference between the self-service usines and the best of the boutiquey a-la-carte places. And you're right, it's not all about the food.
@under a new name, but only if you have a friendly native to decipher the menus for you wink
@Wrekingirl, wow, can't believe anyone could compare the Vaffieu to Chez Nanon Shocked a chaqun son gout I guess snowHead
snow report
L'Passage is the place just above Super Morzine. Great plats du jour, very reasonable and warm welcome. Nice outside terraces too. Lindarets also good option with La Cremaillere being the pick of the bunch.
snow report
@bluedusty, You're never more than 10 mins walk from anywhere in Avz, but it can be hard going for little ones in deep snow (pull them in a toboggan if they're small enough). Get used to grabbing a public lift (ascenseur public) up, and then only walking downhill to your destination Smile . Or flag down a horse-drawn sleigh if it's all a bit much!
snow report
@shep, thanks for the recommendation. I wouldn't say that a properly cooked cote de boeuf with a homemade bearnaise sauce, not from a farty Heinz bottle and fries from potatoes rather than McCain were exactly an expectation of fine dining. I much prefer bistro-style food as per the above. I'll definitely check out La Reserve next time I'm in Avoriaz.
snow report
Hi, thanks for all the advice in the end we mainly used me Yeti as it was right next to ski-school pick up for the kids and they loved it. Last day today so feeling really down but can't wait to come back. Just hope the snow comes again soon for the next wave of visitors as lower down it's a bit bare. To be fair though the slopes have been in great condition all week so accredit to the resort for keeping it good.
latest report
New restaurant in Chappelle d'Abondance 400m from the telecabine (not the Cret Beni, the other one) - L'Atelier de Jacky.

I've long-lamented the lack of a really excellent restaurant in PdS (yes, I know about La Paika and I don't rate it as highly as others), but this one could be it.

It's a fine-dining restaurant and whilst I prefer simpler, bistro-style food, it really was excellent when I went on Sunday for lunch. With a 4 course 29e menu and a very modestly priced wine list, it was unbelievable quality and value-for-money. I'm going to have to modify my ski routes such that I'm passing by La Chappelle at lunch time more often. I'm also going to have to get out of bed earlier so that I can spend 2 hours at lunch.

It's a bit too far from Avoriaz and Morzine however. Another bonus wink
ski holidays
@snoozeboy, do they get much passing trade?

Must make an effort to get there, sounds mighty fine.

Shep, you up for a journey?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Passing trade from people on the Abondonce-La Chappelle-Chatel road? - yes a lot. It's a busy road. It was full on Sunday although they'd only opened the downstairs (ok, so it was half full).

Passing trade from skiers? They haven't been open yet during the season, but it's 400m from the bottom of the telecabine and then, it's a very quiet ski area. They have a very light, airy dining-room with a big south-facing terrace outside, but you're not in the mountains, you're at the foot of them.

But it's a nice place to pass lunchtime and the food is definitely worth the detour. It'll be interesting to see if they maintain that price point when the skiers arrive. I couldn't work out how they could have made money for the price I paid.

Whilst I say that this is the first, excellent restaurant in PdS, I still haven't been to La Reserve in Avoriaz yet, but I'll make a point of doing so this winter.
snow report
@snoozeboy, Chez Nannon is pretty excellent, if rustic...depends what you mean by excellent Happy
snow conditions
@under a new name, agree Chez Nannon is great. Paika best I've been to in the area but not great for Avoriaz. La Terrasse in Lindarets my fave that way.
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
@snoozeboy, Chez Nannon is pretty excellent, if rustic...depends what you mean by excellent Happy

Rustic can be excellent and I know that, like La Paika, Chez Nannon has a big following on here. I googled Chez Nannon and the setting looks very nice, but I have to say that the chips on some of the Google review pics seem to come from McCains rather than potatoes. That isn't excellent. What is so complicated about frying potatoes? Even the Belgians, who seem to fail to undertand the concept of winter tyres on alpine roads, manage to get this right. Speaking of Belgians and fries, there's also a Thomy mayonnaise bottle on one of the tables in another of the photos. Are eggs and oil whisked together really too complicated, expensive or time-consuming to provide?

If something is to be excellent, it can't cut corners and try to get away with second rate. It also can't make a farty-sound when I'm squeezing bland-beige mayo onto my Mcains frozen fries.

I agree that La Terrasse is very, very good too and one of my favourites. But it doesn't feel like excellent does.
snow report
Yes uann, maybe even inter season if you're up one lunchtime? Thanks for the info Snoozeboy!

Like I said before, there's not really a fine-dining clientele in PdS, especially lunchtime (which was OP's original question). Les Enfants Terrible in the Dromonts Hotel in Avz looks worth a look, but evenings only; likewise there's the excellent Philibert in Morzine where you certainly wouldn't find a squeezy sauce bottle (not front-of-house anyway wink ). Over your way Snoozeboy I was told Chez Gaby is black-tie only some nights, but it's only in your "very-good" category at lunchtimes.
ski holidays
On a grey day the Grande Ourse and book the 'bubble'

On a sunny day, there is little to beat eating outside at the Altitude Lodge above Les Gets.
snow report
+1 for the goat village

If you fancy going somewhere a bit random, pop into chez BaBeth in Plaine Dranse - not necessarily for lunch but for a mid-morning coffee. It's like a bizarre little grotto - you may hate it, but you definitely won't forget it! Laughing
latest report
@Handy Turnip, Babethe's is a bit Marmite, as it were...

@shep, a fine plan! or idea or whatever Happy

@snoozeboy, must confess that I can't get past the "patates aux Reblochon" on the Nannon menu so chips and mayo don't register.

I must confess that it pales against its former self under Francois and the memorable evening when I led a torchlit descent from there having 1. helped the lighter weights with their digestives and 2. forgot to bring enough matches. Shocked Embarassed
latest report
@under a new name, haha.. definitely a bit marmite!!! snowHead
snow report
@under a new name, @snoozeboy, I'll also add that if the main thing that caught your eye is the chips and mayo, instead of looking at the Nannon menu that's full of home cooked savoyard specialities, then you'd be much better off at the burger hut on the main road opposite tremplin rather than an actual proper restaurant.
ski holidays
@Dr John, I didn't even know they served chips or mayonnaise! But there is no option - patates aux reblochon avec charcuteries is all you need to know.

Ideally following a few powder driven laps of the Aigle and the Chamossiere bowl.
snow report
@Dr John, you OK hun?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy