Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Auto Europe Car Hire - WARNING

Poster: A snowHead
Used them many times before and no issues but for the 1st time after dropping the car off at Geneva last weekend we had £65 put on our CC today. Turns out hidden on page 4 was a charge per day for winter tyres. You try and explain that it is actually illegal to hire a car in Geneva without winter tyres and the website stated winter tyres are included but transpired the paperwork they sent me after we paid had a charge clause.

If using Auto Europe check when you buy but also check the voucher they send you after very, very carefully, our clause was on page 4. Mad Mad
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Cheers thefatcontroller - I always use them at GVA for that reason. So what I can't understand is how if the website says winter tyres were included on the page showing the cost...they then weren't included Puzzled

I always do a screenshot on my phone of the page showing the price and the 'Includes winter tyres' wording.

Have you chased it up with Auto Europe? I would - irrespective of the hidden wording in the booking confirmation.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@mountainaddict, Am chasing/giving them hell. Not impressed, they say they will investigate and get back to me. Simple lesson learnt, take screen shot of the winter tyres included image of page before buying.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
thefatcontroller wrote:
You try and explain that it is actually illegal to hire a car in Geneva without winter tyres

I'd be amazed if they would ever rent a car to you without winter tyres at the appropriate time...

...but it isn't illegal to drive without them in Switzerland or France.

Your insurance might not pay up if you're in a collision with summer tyres on, though, and you'll be fined if you hold up traffic.

The hidden charge is a joke though - hope you can get them to refund.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@ibexag, My brother lives in Geneva and he says it is rules to have winter tyres on by certain date? Rules and law may be different words?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@thefatcontroller, no it's really strange, there's nothing in the road law/rules about it at all. It's just that all insurance policies say that they won't pay up if you have an accident and your car doesn't have "appropriate equipment" for the conditions.

Next door in Austria it's different, there are set dates where they are mandatory. In Germany, you get fined if you are in ice and snow with summer tyres. But here in Switzerland, it's only an issue if you have an accident.

If they speak German, they can read about it here: https://www.verkehrs-recht.ch/2014/01/fahren-ohne-winterpneus-im-winter
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ring and tweet and whine and demand a refund.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Auto Europe is a broker. I use them a lot but the booking voucher is actually with the rental company not the broker. Each rental company has different terms unfortunately so it's good advice to read paperwork thoroughly.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@queen bodecia, Used them multiple times before. Never been charged by any car rental company during winter for winter tyres in Geneva. The website said included, the hidden clause in the contract said not. Just warning others...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Which rental company was it?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowdave wrote:

Unirent, which is actually Europcar. Car was a Skoda Yeti 4 x 4 Automatic.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Unfortunately car hire in Europe, esp Spain and Italy can be v risky

Two companies come up again and again Goldar and "Sicily by car" (beware Sicily by car operates from some the Italian Alpine airports)

see article below, including comments

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/holidays/article-4129736/Think-know-sneaky-car-hire-tricks-Think-again.html#comments

I hire cars regularly and the cheaper hire cos come in much cheaper than the bigger ones Hertz etc. It can be tempting to hire cheaper , but be prepared for hassle, scams etc

When return the car, not a bad idea to return in good time , before flight departure, ensuring you leave sufficient time, to photo car, argue with car hire co. etc

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Wed 18-01-17 12:01; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
slightly off topic, but I go Friday & today discovered I have lost my credit card. Ordered a new one but it will not be here in time. Will another member of the party be able to use theirs?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Jonny996, my new card arrived in just a couple of days, you might be OK. I think if you are the renter it has to be your card.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
thefatcontroller wrote:
snowdave wrote:

Unirent, which is actually Europcar. Car was a Skoda Yeti 4 x 4 Automatic.

Hmmm... I went and double checked my voucher when I saw Unirent mentioned. (I made a booking a while back with them, using rentalcars.com, so appears to be practice with Unirent rather than any particular broker)
Annoyingly, I can also now see in the small print of the rentalcars.com voucher a 10 CEF charge per day for winter tyres. A bit cheeky, seeing as they presumably only need to fit them once at the start of winter, and take them off again once at the start of summer.
Anyway, that's a lesson for me in something looking to good to be true. I did try and figure out how Unirent could be serviced by the Europecar desk at Geneva, but be able to afford to rent equivalent cars significantly cheaper than Europecar themselves.
Still seems a bit dodgy they are able to take you right up to the point of purchase, quoting once price.. and then slip in something else - but lesson learned I guess. (No doubt it was in some 20 page T&Cs I clicked yes to having read just before completing purchase!)
Haven't low cost airlines been made to clean up their act (A little bit at least) with regard to this sort of thing? (i.e. They can't slip in taxes late ron int he process, having quoted a price without it)
The only consolation is that I just end up spending roughly what I would have done had I used Europecar or Budget rather than Unirent.

I'd be interested to see if Unirent still came in 50/60 EUR cheaper during the summer when they don't have the excuse to slap on the winter charges... or if the advertised price reverted to something equivalent to the other Geneva rental companies.
snow report
@thefatcontroller, regret this can happen at GVA - do check what was said on the webpage on which you ordered the car - sometimes the advert and booking with auto Europe says 'winterised' but then the local agent invokes a charge inappropriately. Holiday autos is a good site, and lists whether winter tyres are included - and if the specific car we choose does not make this clear (this happened when I booked last week) then I give them a ring - they always are very helpful and clear.
snow conditions
Comment from Daily Mail link which is entirely OT, sorry!

"Ted, Coventry, United Kingdom, 2 minutes ago
Why do people need to hire a car when on holiday? Do that many people go on touring holidays? Or is that they have forgotten what their legs are for and have lost the use of them? Or are they just plain bone idle?"

I don't actually believe in the inherent racism of "Johnny foreigner will always rip us off in Spain/Italy." However I do always take out additional - third party - car hire insurance through insurance4carhire-type insurers when renting a car. Mostly to cover irritating scratches that you wouldn't care about on your own car.
latest report
@James the Last, you know better than to go mooching around in the DM comments section... anwyay, maybe Ted likes walking tours of Europe's scenic airports and industrial districts.

Booked with Avis this year, specifically as the full winterisation and tyre package was included, and had a flexible fuel policy. Cheapest? No, but I don't fancy having that argument in Munich airport at 6pm on a Saturday thanks.
snow report
The Mail will tell you that you don't need to worry about Munich; it's only Latin countries where they'll rip you off...

Seriously though, if hiring I use a third party excess insurer which for a couple of pounds a day means you don't have to care! No matter how good your foreign language skills you're at a disadvantage when trying to negotiate as to whether or not you have scratched a brand new car - even in the UK. Insure it and don't worry - as a general rule I never insure anything I don't have to (extended warranties, mobile phones) but hire car excess I do as it's so cheap these days.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-car-hire#insurancetrick
snow report
@James the Last, I agree. I also video the car on collection.
snow report
Markymark29 wrote:
@James the Last, I agree. I also video the car on collection.

Yep, I tend to do that too. Photos from several angles, close up on damage and then a video walk round. Same routine when I return the car.
ski holidays
...and do it in a loud and obtrusive manner so that the staff see that you are not to be messed with Wink
latest report
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Booked with Avis this year, specifically as the full winterisation and tyre package was included, and had a flexible fuel policy. Cheapest? No, but I don't fancy having that argument in Munich airport at 6pm on a Saturday thanks.

That's exactly what I did at Christmas. It's worth a few extra quid just to avoid the scrum at the cheapo desks. There was no queue whatsoever. No extra charge for going into Austria, and the woman only asked me once if I wanted extra insurance. We even got a better car that we booked Very Happy
latest report
altis wrote:
...and do it in a loud and obtrusive manner so that the staff see that you are not to be messed with Wink

I couldn't do anything other than loud and obnoxious, even if I tried Laughing
latest report
Just ring up your credit card company and tell them you are being ripped off, unfair contract. Send them the website page showing it is included, and tell them you weren't told etc. They'll pull it back then the argument has to come from the company as to why they deserve the money, instead of you trying to argue to get your cash back. One of the good things about credit card companies.
ski holidays
Ta Da......Ok good result but how many have paid and not questioned it....It wasn't an error in their system as on closer checking the paperwork we signed in Geneva for Unirent did have the clause in. Dodgy...

Quote:
Dear XXXX,

Thank you for your recent Auto Europe car rental under voucher XXXXXXX, with Unirent in Geneva, CH.

We have reviewed our contracts with Unirent in Switzerland and found that your prepaid rate should have in fact covered the Winter Tyre fee that you were charged 75.60 CHF locally. Our contracts vary depending on the location and supplier, so this simply was an error within our system. I wish to offer you our most sincere apology on the behalf of Auto Europe and myself.

I have refunded your Mastercard ending in XXXX, the amount of £61.26 which with today's conversion is the equivalent of 75.60 CHF. You should expect to see the credit posted to your account in the next 3-5 business days.

Thank you for your understand and patience whilst we corrected this issue. We look forward to assisting you with your future car rental needs.

Best Regards,
snow conditions
Glad you got sorted thefatcontroller Smile
latest report
@mountainaddict, Thanks, on one hand want to say that is brilliant customer service but niggling worry that lots have paid Unirent and never complained?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@thefatcontroller, I have had that happen twice with Auto Europe for much smaller amounts . Auto Europe have sorted it out both times with almost the same email. Obviously it happens a lot.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy