Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Need boots for very awkward feet

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi Snowheads,

Here's a challenge for you. I've skiied inthe past, despite a bad ankle injury when I was in my twenties. I'm now in my mid forties and haven't skiied for a few years because I've had an ankle fusion operation to repair my dodgy ankle. I can walk now without pain and I'm sure that I'll be able to ski again if I can just get some boots that fit. My main problem is that since the fusion operation (which fused my heel to ankle joint and that joint to the tibia and fibula, I have no ankle movement at all, so I can't point my toes to get my right foot into conventional boots.

In the past I've had Strolz boots which were perfect for my mis-shaped ankle (see pictures). I'm concerned that I won't be able to get into that type of boots any more so I'm looking for advice.
As well as the lack of "flex" in my ankle, my right foot and ankle joint is much larger than the left which may also make boot fitting interesting. See pics below. (Sorry if they put you off your dinner).

I'd be interested to hear any recommendations that you may have.

Thanks
Richard

[/img]
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@RichardBishop, Your pictures didn't appear for me (maybe that is a good thing Smile )

Strolz boots still exist so maybe they should be your starting point. I have a club left foot, with almost zero forward flex, but I have been able to manage with slightly oversized boots, a heel lift and a foam liners (I've skied for the last 30 years).

A left field option that might work is the Dahu boot, which combines a snowboard type boot with an exoskeleton shell that is easy to put on. They aren't really a performance boot, but might be worth a look if it was those or not skiing.

https://www.dahusports.com

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 23-01-17 20:06; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@PowderAdict, that's certainly different! Ever come across anyone that had tried them out?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
HI, do you know where you can buy these dahu boots, they look amazing, but i cant find a stockist
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm skiing in Switzerland at the moment, and the shop opposite the hotel has racks of them Toofy Grin

I've seen a few people using them, I think there are some comments on this forum from users whenever these boots are mentioned. As mentioned I think they are targeted at the casual skier, who wants comfort, and isn't pulling High-G carving turns, or sessioning the Park.

According the the website the UK distributor is http://unify-bp.com/
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Try chatting to the guys at Rivington Alpine near Chorley. I know they fit some of the disability sports guys so may be used to your particular challenges! No commercial interest except them fitting me with a lovely pair of boots….
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
you could also look at Apex boots which Ellis Brigham sell. https://www.ellis-brigham.com/footwear/ski-boots
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Dahu look really comfy, my worry is pointing toes to get into a "normal boot" so those or Apex could be good.
If I want a firmer shell, I may look at Strolz again (they were so good last time).

Thanks for the tips. Happy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
What about Daleboots?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'll second what k said. I'm the same in that I've had excellent boot fitting service from them.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for the advice everyone. I decided on Strolz boots in the end because I've had them before. Steve from "Glide and Slide" in Otley custom fitted them for me.

The right boot had a leather flap put into the front of the boot by Strolz at the factory and Steve made custom inners for me to give me a slight forward tilt.

I'm really pleased with the results. Here's a video of me skiing in the new boots. I'm delighted because I was worried that with no ankle flex, I wouldn't be able to get into boots, never mind ski in them. Happy

http://youtube.com/v/V14LcSpZ02M
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@RichardBishop, Looking good. There is nothing in your skiing that looks anything other than a natural balanced stance. The professional instructors may disagree, but that is for them to comment.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Personally, I think you should get enormous credit for persevering and getting to the point where you can ski at all...let alone look half decent.

FWIW. If I'd come so far, I'd be interested in getting a good BASI instructor to assess my situation and then make the most of what I could do.

I thought for a while that I'd have to give up skiing....so it's brilliant when you find that you don't (in my case thanks a to Lower Back fusion), even if you have to dial things back a bit.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Looks better than a lot of people that don't have ankle fusion! Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy