Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

NORWAY- Current conditions

Poster: A snowHead
Wondering if anyone can enlighten me as to the current conditions in Norway and specifically Western Fjords and Hemsedal area. West seems maddening, rain, snow, rain, snow. Is this normal? Interior seems dry. Storms never seem to make it over the coastal mountains and when they do they drop only a few centimeters. Is this normal?
Are current conditions about average?
We are travelling mid-march and will want to ski off-piste and side-piste. Should the snow fill in enough by then? I have not travelled to Norway before and I just don't know enough about conditions to gauge if this will be a successful trip or not. I hope to go to Myrkdalen, Roldal, Hemsedal. Maybe Voss, Hovden, Hallingskarvet.
Any suggestions on where the snow may be particularly good this season. I will drive anywhere reasonable, from Oslo, to find good snow.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
http://www.varsom.no/nytt/snorapporter-fra-nve/snomengder-i-norge-per-13-januar-2017/
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
In short its been bad.
I can't speak for everywhere but this season has been very mild where I live compared to previous years. Røldal which is the local for me has been struggling due to snow limit being too high and we have had limited opportunities on the weekend. However on the west coast this can change in a week, we had a weekend of powder skiing (75cm in 3 days) in the sun two weeks ago then last week it was horrible with rain, same this week. However could be great by mid march rolling eyes .
Although the distances are small they take a long time to cover (80km/h speed limits, single lane roads, ferries, potential plow convoy etc.) in Norway so you most likely won't see it all, Myrkdalen and Røldal are the two snowiest resorts in the south west with good off piste. Hemsedal is on the eastern side in the valleys, is the premier party resort for people from Oslo but has good skiing as well, however they are struggling for snow due to lack of precipitation (different weather systems as is on the eastern side). Other options from Oslo is to take the train/car to Trondheim and ski in Åre (Sweden) or Oppdal region, there are some very good resorts there as well. Lastly if you have it, I would bring touring (and avalanche) gear, many great opportunities for ski touring and you are able to search for that good snow.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You are confirming what I unfortunately suspected. If Roldal is struggling, its bad news.

Any idea how far a drive from Oslo to Are?

Also, @OwenM, link looks great but all in Norsk. So far I figured out Overnatting, Snoraport and skiskole, not much more. I will see what I can do to find an English version.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Snow depths and open pistes/lifts in Norwegian resorts http://www.skiinfo.no/norge/snoerapport.html
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
skiberg wrote:

Also, @OwenM, link looks great but all in Norsk. So far I figured out Overnatting, Snoraport and skiskole, not much more. I will see what I can do to find an English version.

Should be a translate box top right.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@skiberg, dont give up on Røldal though (sorry to sound depressing in my first post), a bad season can still turn out to be good and there is a good base above 800m. It's about the same to Trondheim as it would be to Myrkdalen/Røldal (around 5 hours). The drives in Norway are scenic so not like driving on motorways. My advice is to rent a car that can fit your skis and see where the best snow turns out to be. Best way to keep up to date is to use yr.no, Facebook(all the ski centres have regular updates) and fnugg.no (norsk skiinfo). I don't want to make promises but I'm pretty sure you will get some good skiing somewhere!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Agree its too early to worry yet. As a backup plan you could always fly from Oslo to Narvik and ski the lapland resorts in Narvikfjell, Riksgransen, Bjorkliden etc.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Themasterpiece, Yep, and true to west coast weather they are now forecasting ca. 15cm on the weekend and snow all next week for Røldal which has appeared out of no where Razz
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I am feeling better already. BTW, I am coming form the states and we ski in Europe pretty much every year. I love this forum as they do a great job with the weather.

We are going to Norway as we wanted a different experience. Unique culture etc.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@skiberg, You'll have a great time! Definitely different to skiing in the alps, less people, smaller resorts and norwegians are much more into touring/off piste. Understand your norsk might be a bit rusty (google translate is your friend) but for some great photos and inspiration head to friflyt.no, lots of reports on where the skiing is best in Norway at any time. (oh and if you haven't already, watch Supervention)
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
heading off to Hemsedal next weekend and feeling rather deflated having seen the snow report of 17cm base...been praying for snow for weeks but they remain unanswered...

Any reports on the piste conditions?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@weirdonorskie, I'll be able to tell you on Sunday/Monday but that's probably too late for you Puzzled . Looking on the bright side, the base was 13 cm a day or two ago, so it's increased over 30% on the last 48 hours.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Also, @Themasterpiece's link is the same site as http://www.onthesnow.co.uk if your norwegian isn't up to scratch.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Well if you look at it that way, there aren't many resorts that can boast those sort of % increases over a weekend!

I actually meant I'll be going out this coming weekend, so will be hitting the slopes on Monday: either on foot or on skis...
ski holidays
@weirdonorskie, may bump into you then, hopefully not literally (although with limited pistes open, the chances of collisions must go up).
snow conditions
Booked to go to over Easter. So a watching brief at the moment on this. Haven't sorted which resort yet but likely Trysil, as we are headed for Olso, which even now is looking ok?
snow conditions
Snow cover in Trysil looks ok https://www.skistar.com/en/Trysil/

You could also consider the Lillehammer resorts. We liked Kvitfjell
snow conditions
Themasterpiece wrote:
You could also consider the Lillehammer resorts. We liked Kvitfjell

Thanks. Will take a look. Also was thinking about Gaustablikk.
ski holidays
Off to Trysil next week and it's currently 82cm and has been for a while. I think that'll be fine as the temps are low so no slush and the pistes are usually beautifully groomed. Can't wait.
snow report
Does anyone have any idea when this High Pressure over Scandinavia is going to break?

Anyone with first hand conditions reports?
ski holidays
@skiberg, forecast for next few days suggests cloud over Are on Sunday-Tuesday, but warm - rain!
latest report
It looks like a significant pattern change to snowy weather in about 7-10 days. Long term predictions are tough, but everyone seems to be buying in to this right now.
latest report
Norway conditions are mixed at the moment.

Trysil is good. Hemsedal and Voss are struggling.
snow conditions
Well, pleasantly surprised by the conditions in Hemsedal this morning. Most lifts open, half the pistes, and those that are open generally in decent condition. Some scrapey hardpack, and the odd patch of ice, but not bad at all. Off piste would be limited but everything's white, which is much better than expected. Very Happy
ski holidays
@mgrolf, sounds good, given how little snow they've had. Is it busy?
snow conditions
High is breaking now. Mild wet air coming towards west coast now by the looks crossing fingers that freezing level stays below 600-800m then we may get a decent amount of snow on the west coast over the next week.
latest report
That's what I am hoping for. It looks like the lows will be strong enough to drop some snow in the interior as well. At this point I have all but written off visiting Hemsedal.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
That's what I am hoping for. It looks like the lows will be strong enough to drop some snow in the interior as well. At this point I have all but written off visiting Hemsedal.
ski holidays
Lots of snow predicted for the interior (Are) early next week....
snow conditions
@dobby, not as busy as expected, but then it rarely if ever gets like the French Alps in holiday season.
@skiberg, plenty of time for things to change, though I have to admit I wouldn't bother with Hemsedal right now unless you're happy lapping round the same pistes.
snow conditions
@mgrolf, thanks for the update. Next week may be busier - Oslo holidays, I think....green run carnage Smile
ski holidays
Looks like a legitimate storm cycle is finally rolling in. Any first hand reports on conditions is appreciated.

Has anyone skied Oppdal?
latest report
I can only comment on Hemsedal...it's been a good week but the pistes are pretty icy now in places, and most are hard pack. The forecast doesn't look great for next week, some snow but windy as well. The end of a holiday is always sad but out feels like the right time to be going home. Fingers crossed for anyone out next week, I hope the snow comes.
snow report
Similar forecast for åre....windy and wet tomorrow. Snow Monday.
ski holidays
Trysil was perfect: sunny all day temps ranges from -17 to +6
Runs well groomed
Plenty off piste
But fresh snow would be good
snow conditions
warbis66 wrote:
Trysil was perfect: sunny all day temps ranges from -17 to +6
Runs well groomed
Plenty off piste
But fresh snow would be good

It was getting a bit thin in places when we left yesterday (run 13 not
Good). Temps hit 5 degrees there last week with a lot of sun. Defiantly needs a top up
snow report
Yeah -agree
snow report
Røldal was mild this weekend, heavy snow on Saturday down to 500m but snowline went up to 1000m during the night (20cm high up over two days). So high up snow is good, with it getting colder and snowier from tonight. Mates up in Harstad said its been dumping there since Saturday so likely that skiing in Lofoten and Narvik is quite good at the moment. Oppdal is great for skiing, usually gets more snow than the mountains in the east due being closer to North/Norwegian Sea.

For info. Vinterferie (school holidays) are this week and next week for Norway (its split between counties which week they get). So if you're coming the next two weeks it will be busier than usual. Also later on in the season (end of March, April) smaller resorts will only open on weekends so always good to check their facebook/website for updates.
snow report
Thanks for info. Not arriving until march 10. Thinking about two trips; either west with Roldal, voss, myrkdalen. Maybe Sogndal or Hovden if it snows. Other would be east.; trysil or skeikampen, then Oppdal and Are. Maybe vemdalen. I heard it's easier to move about in the east and I have a car. Really depends in the weather but right now I am leaning toward the East.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy