Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skis for a beginner

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
As per the title, I'm a beginner looking to pick up my first set of skis. I've got the boots (Salomon Quest 80s) and everything else. Just need a set of skis.

I've been looking around on ebay / gumtree and have a budget of around £80 including £20 postage. Are there any I should avoid, or will any all-mountain skis in reasonable condition do me a turn? Should I just pick ones I like the look of?? Does it matter if they're a bit scratched up?
I've currently got my eyes on a set of Atomic Colts, K2 Apaches, Salomon Powerlines, and a couple of others.

Thanks for any advice!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
FWIW. I think boots are a good idea, but I'd wait before getting skis.

The logic for having your own skis as an Advanced 1wk/yr skier is thin...and for a beginner is even thinner.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
So just hire when required? I expect to visit Snow Factor at Braehead once a month, and Austria every January.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
My logic, which you are free to ignore, is that by the time you have paid carriage (if flying) and servicing, you are out the cost of hiring.

Then there is the fact that, as a beginner, you are unlikely to have formed an opinion about what sort of ski suits your needs/preferences.

Skis improve every year and buying skis often leaves you with out of date tech and possibly not the right skis for the conditions you get in resort.

My advice is to go down your skiing journey for a few years and you will then be in a better place to evaluate your options.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I assumed that skis at ski resorts would be a few years old, not the latest tech! Guess that changes things a little.

I'll put the ski money towards some more clothing.

Thanks for the advice.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
redcard wrote:
I assumed that skis at ski resorts would be a few years old, not the latest tech!

Thanks for the advice.

You learn to chose your shops wisely....and maybe go up a level.

This place is good for advice regarding which shops are worth using in a given resort.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Old Fartbag, speaks wisely. Rent skis initially, ski rental outlets vary so change shop if you like - and this applies also to the skis, normally you should be able to change between different skis almost by the day.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Rent until you are at least an intermidiot!! having your own boots is a great idea, as long as you have gone to a good boot fitter. Custom foot beds are a real bonus! if you hire skis that aren't up to it, just go back and ask for another pair! enjoy your trip and welcome to Snowheads
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy