Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flying easyJet with dakine roller

Poster: A snowHead
I have a DAKINE low roller (meant for a snowboard) that fits my skis (im short!) and boots with most of my ski clothes

Im flying out to barcelona for a trip to andorra on easyjet and these are the baggage conditions for my flights

'Each item you check-in as hold luggage has to be under a certain size and weight. Its total size has to be under 275cm (to find this out simply add its length + width + height) and a standard weight of 20kg per bag, except for sporting and medical equipment.'

My bag is actually about 19kg, and the length + Width + height of the low roller is under the 275cm limit (about 240cm), however it fairly obviously looks like a Ski bag..

Are they going to make me check it as sporting equipment?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Almost certainly, and it will be more expensive if you don't do it in advance, plus if they are tight on space for any reason they may refuse to carry it.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
When I flew to Milan the other week I just booked small sports equipment instead of hold luggage. Cost about £10 more I think. Was also 23kg but didn't give me any problems
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
My hold luggage was included, but i dont need it, annoyingly
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hold luggage is £38, sports equipment is £70. The details in the Luggage section of the website says:

Quote:

Hold Bags

Each passenger (including children and infants) is entitled to bring up to 3 hold bags - these exclude any small or large sports equipment detailed below.
Each bag includes 20kg of weight. Excess weight can be purchased

Small Sports Equipment

Adults/ Children can bring ONE item of Small Sports Equipment per passenger.
No individual small sports item can weigh more than 20kgs.
Due to carrier regulations sports equipment cannot count as general hold luggage and must be itemised.

(my underline)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I think you'd have issues if it were to go missing en route with regards to easyjet paying up for new skis etc in a wosrst case scenario.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@ousekjarr, depends on the route for how much the sports equipment costs I think. Have paid £70 for flying to Geneva for the EoSB but paid less than that for flying to Milan
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@calro, There is no way the people on the check in desk will let you put that through as normal hold luggage.

The max size of 275cm is the max size of all bags, including sporting goods bags.

Pay for the carriage now, it will be much cheaper than paying at the airport. It also gives you extra weight, 12kg IIRC.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Regarding weight, my current easyJet booking for a hold bag and ski bag says 'total 40kg'

I believe the max for sports equipment is 32kg, but that would only leave 8kg allowance left over for the hold bag.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@bar_shacker 275cm is more than the total dimensions of my ski bag though?

I phoned up AND asked on twitter and no one ive spoken to is telling me i cannot as long as my bag is within the dimension limits

the line @ousekjarr posted (Due to carrier regulations sports equipment cannot count as general hold luggage and must be itemised. ) I cannot find on the website anywhere!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It seems it has changed recently. http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:F54a_wdy3M4J:www.easyjet.com.edgekey.net/en/help/preparing-to-fly/sports-equipment&num=1&hl=en&gl=uk&strip=0&vwsrc=0 shows it included. As does bing but the page no longer appears to have it.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I guess the final worry is if sports bags are treated with better care than general hold luggage
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Having just had to bring a whole load of stuff back on easy jet (59kgs in total inc. 2 sets of skis and boots) as i understand the rules.

Hold baggage - std buy one is 20kgs but then you can pre-buy additional weight.
Ski bags - max weight 32kgs and can be more than one bag if 2nd bag is a boot bag.

If you have a 1 x hold bag, 1 x ski bag and 1 x boot bag you have a maximum of 52kgs which can be distributed across all 3 bags however you wish.

A passenger can buy as many hold bags as they like but only one ski bag.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I literally only have a ski bag and carry on luggage..
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
calro,
You mentioned that it's only a short trip, so why not travel with hand luggage only and hire a board?

You'd save yourself £70 (minus the cost of board rental of course).
snow report
Aha, its a board bag with skis in it and i meant im short, hence why my skis fit in a board bag. its not a short trip!
ski holidays
It's mainly price discrimination, people who want to take their own sporting equipment are more likely to be happy to pay a premium to transport it. The only real difference in the service provided is for sporting equipment the size and weight limits can be more generous, if there were other benefits such as more careful handling or providing rental gear in case of delay I'm sure the airline would shout about them!
If your bag meets the standard size then you should be able to take it as standard luggage, however since they sell a specific product for ski/board carriage then there's a chance when you check in your bag you will be asked to pay extra - it will come down to what training the check in staff have had and how alert they are! It's a gamble!
I've taken my paraglider ( basically a big rucksack) as standard luggage on Ryanair and easyJet despite there being specific sporting equipment categories for this - the difference is it would be far harder for check in staff to differentiate between it and abnormal rucksack.
ski holidays
simonbaddeley,

Quote:

the difference is it would be far harder for check in staff to differentiate between it and abnormal rucksack.

Is that the joy of autocorrect? Do you mean "a normal rucksack"? Toofy Grin
snow report
simonbaddeley wrote:
It's mainly price discrimination, people who want to take their own sporting equipment are more likely to be happy to pay a premium to transport it. The only real difference in the service provided is for sporting equipment the size and weight limits can be more generous, if there were other benefits such as more careful handling or providing rental gear in case of delay I'm sure the airline would shout about them!
If your bag meets the standard size then you should be able to take it as standard luggage, however since they sell a specific product for ski/board carriage then there's a chance when you check in your bag you will be asked to pay extra - it will come down to what training the check in staff have had and how alert they are! It's a gamble!
I've taken my paraglider ( basically a big rucksack) as standard luggage on Ryanair and easyJet despite there being specific sporting equipment categories for this - the difference is it would be far harder for check in staff to differentiate between it and a normal rucksack.
x

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 22-02-17 12:54; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@Bergmeister, indeed - I can usually make enough mistakes on my own without the help of autocorrect.
latest report
@marcellus, that is wrong. easyjet give you the option of Small Sports Equipment (max 20kg) or Large Sports Equipment (32kg). You can carry and ski bag and boot bag but the total of both must be within 20kg. On our recent trip we had 3 x Hold Bags (Total 60kg) and 2 x Ski Bags (40kg). We were able to distribute the weight over all 5 bags with the ski bags being around 25kg.

calro, I have had the 'total dimensions' debate with easyjet a few times; including a telephone discussion with one of the CEOs Exec Team. They are adamant that even though a ski bag is within the total dimensions it cannot count as hold bagge and must be booked as Sports Equipment. By all means take a chance but if you get hit with the airport with the £45 charge (each-way) then you will have to accept it.
snow report
@Gaza, if you only buy a "small sports Equipment" then yes the max weight allowed for that is 20kgs.

However, if you have bought more "Total weight" than the 20kgs you can have your ski bag as heavy as 32kgs.

So using your example if you had a total of 100kgs to transport and buy that weight of baggage your ski bags could total 64kgs leaving 36kgs between the other 3 hold bags, if need be you could actually just check 2 in because you've bought the 100kg.

In my case last week I had a duvet and pillows to bring back as well as all the ski gear so 1 of my "hold bags" although on the limit in terms of size just weighed 6kgs!
snow conditions
@Gaza, wrote -- "..I have had the 'total dimensions' debate with easyjet a few times; including a telephone discussion with one of the CEOs Exec Team. They are adamant that even though a ski bag is within the total dimensions it cannot count as hold baggage and must be booked as Sports Equipment..."

I have wondered about this with Crystal/any TO - If my Low roller, containing skis/boots/clothing/everything else, weighed less than 20Kg, could I check it as my Main hold bag, to escape paying for Ski Carriage?? (wasn't brave enough to try it and just paid for ski carriage....)
snow conditions
@marcellus, I agree with you when you express it in that way. On my recent GLA-MXP flight I had no issue with the ski bags being more than 20kg as they balanced out with the other bags. However, I had a battle at MXP on the return. The check-in agent and her colleague insisted that Small Sports Items could not be more than 20kg even if the other bags were less. Even when I showed them the website page that clearly stated that the bag could be up to 32kg and pooled with other bags they still insisted they were right. I insisted on speaking to a manager and after a couple of phone calls they reluctantly checked the bags in. Cue another email to Carolyn. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Resurrecting this thread rather than creating a new one.....can anyone clarify based on recent experience?

Last night I went to book some EJ flights to Innsbruck after Christmas, I see hold bags can be booked in all weights 20/23/26/32kg etc. Then I'm wanting to add a ski bag at astronomical cost and think, why don't I just buy a 32kg bag allowance from EJ and load up my big wheeled Dakine roll-along bag and take as a 32kg hold bag rather than a bag AND a ski bag?

Am I missing something here? I'm just trying to see what's best. I certainly wont be paying for both, I'll take the car if they are thinking they're ripping me off, I'd have a 20kg plus a ski bag but prefer to put all in one.

Cheers......I think I know the answer by the way!
latest report
I have travelled with a ski bag booked under "other sports equipment" (I think) which is a little more expensive but allows you 32kg.

I have never had a problem with this and have a Dakine Concourse douyble ski bag - it's huge.
snow report
@Markymark29, hmmm. A mate I travelled with at Easter had booked a standard hold bag but then subsequently purchased a snowboard. He saw the astronomical cost of adding sports equipment, and decided to wing it, stuffing everything into the snowboard bag. He got away with it, BUT the snowboard bag came in under the max hold luggage dimensions which a ski bag would not.

No probs with stuffing everything in your ski bag if you have booked one though. I regularly hit the 20kg limit carrying 2-3 pairs of skis in mine, and it has never been questioned.
snow conditions
Did we ever find out how @calro, got on?

A couple of points on luggage that I have found...

If you are over your baggage weight limit, it is cheaper to buy an extra bag on the EJ app (giving you another 20kg) than to pay for 3kg of excess baggage.

You can be 1kg over and won't get charged.

You can buy extra bags (and 20kg allocation) on the phone app at any time before you actually check in.

You can buy luggage for one leg of a return flight (eg 2 bags out, 3 bags back) but you have to ring up to do so.

Any one bag cannot exceed 32kg as this is an EU limit for manual handling.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy