Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ruptured anterior clavicle in St Anton Monday.

Poster: A snowHead
Long journey back.

Dislocated it on a mogul crash and tore the clavicle.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Anyone have experience on rehab times for this injury.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
DanFuller wrote:
Long journey back.

Have you fractured the clavicle or dislocated the acromio clavicular joint?

Fracture: 2 to3 weeks painful then well on the way to recovery 6 to 8 weeks.

AC jt depends on the grade of injury and the treatment:

Minor sprain: 2 to 3 weeks recovery

Complete dislocation: 6 to 12 weeks depending on how severe

Surgery to stabilise: 3 to 4 months
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Jonathan Bell wrote:
DanFuller wrote:
Long journey back.

Have you fractured the clavicle or dislocated the acromio clavicular joint?

Fracture: 2 to3 weeks painful then well on the way to recovery 6 to 8 weeks.

AC jt depends on the grade of injury and the treatment:

Minor sprain: 2 to 3 weeks recovery

Complete dislocation: 6 to 12 weeks depending on how severe

Surgery to stabilise: 3 to 4 months

Apologies it was an AC separation. Grade2. They asked me if I wanted surgery but I have little or no pain and nearly full movement already so advised the hospital I'll confirm either way in 2 weeks
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@DanFuller, My OH just had similar (though a little more severe than yours as borderline 2/3). Interested that they offered you surgery for a grade 2; was that in the UK?

Hope recovery goes well.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Yes at southend hospital in essex. They did a series of tests on movement a week after I did the injury I think if I'd struggled with anything theyd have upgraded me to a 3
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@DanFuller, for grade 4 it's 6 weeks in a sling night and day (yes 24 hours), then 3 months min physio (probably longer). That's after having the wire inserted.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Bennyboy1, Interesting. I have just had a lockdown repair for a grade IV and the rehab looks like this (http://lockdownsurgical.com/usa/patients-caregivers/acj-injury/)

Broad arm sling for 2 weeks
Patients allowed to drive a motor vehicle at week 4 and return to work (light duties)
Light sports activity at 8 weeks
Full contact sports at 12 weeks

Now, 5 weeks after the operation, I have almost full ROM in the shoulder but still not permitted any heavy lifting (oddly I have not been given a definition of what "heavy" is). I expect to return to climbing after 12 weeks and resume skiing at 6.

The sugeon wanted to wait 6 months from the accident to determine how I could manage without the operation. Actually even only a short while afterwards I feel as if it is an improvement.

@DanFuller, If it is a grade II, where I beleive the AC ligaments are strained but not ruptured, I think you will not need an operation and it should recover fairly quickly. One week is really not long enougth to make an assessment. Your orthopaedic sugeon should be able to inform you better than me.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
They said it was a strong grade 2 but not full tear, his words were 'this is a 2.5'

I agree a week isn't long enough and he said to come back in 3 weeks to assess where I am. The lump is freaking me out abit ha
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@DanFuller, in that case TBH it sounds like almost exactly the same injury as my OH (though we think she's had a full tear of one of the ligaments, treatment and doctor reaction sound identical). She did hers the week before you and is due to start physio next week where they will do further movement assessments.

She is also pretty freaked out by the lump....
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Can I ask which movements are difficult for her? I can't tie laces or lift it in a front raise like taking something from a shelf
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@johnE, very interesting. I am given all clear to ski after three months but no snowboarding or mountain biking for 12 months....surgeon is a skier so may be biased Smile, he says rugby players normally return after 4-5 months. But perhaps speed and chance of high speed impact worse for boarders...(?) not sure I believe that.

I had the op in Austria and they inserted a pin which restricted movement. The uk surgeon I am seeing on my return said he wouldn't have inserted the pin as it may increase the likeliness of frozen shoulder.

After 7 weeks I have maybe 70% movement but little strength. Physio is making me crawl around on hands and knees like a baby to gain strength. My kids fall over laughing Very Happy

Back to Mayrhofen at end of March on skis this time and not my board... rolling eyes
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@DanFuller, For the first week she couldn't really do anything with her arm at all!

Now she is two weeks in she can't lift it above stomach height really (in any direction) and lateral movement is tough too, but she has been spending some time out of the isolation sling and now tends to have it resting on the table for eating or working.

She has increasingly been able to use her hand for stuff providing it doesn't require strength so probably could tie laces if needed, though I doubt that would have been the case four or five days ago.

How long ago did your injury happen?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I did mine last Monday so 10 days. I can lift stuff with it(only small items) but I panic if it's bigger. If I try to do something I have a concern about like washing I will move the arm halfway then return it back to the start position and then start again but all in a very slow manor.

I'll be honest mines not been in the sling since Saturday. It was making my trapezes stiff and stinking out my t shirts rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Bennyboy1, What was the pin for? This is the op I had http://lockdown.uk.com/row/medical-professionals/testimonials/.

OK I am now 5 weeks after the lockdown operation and would say I have about 95% range of movement and it is not too week, but I really cannot test the strength until the 12 weeks are up. I suspect this is to allow sufficient fibrous in-growth to occur. The consultant said 12 weeks to cycling and climbing. My physio has me doing isometric strength excercises and baby press ups, but yesterday I accidently straightened my kness and found that I could do press ups with no pain.
snow report
@johnE, certainly not this. I had a traditional wire to hold the joint together (stays permanently) and a pin (think it's called k wire or something) inserted into the shoulder st 90 degrees to provide stability.
ski holidays
@DanFuller,

Benn a while since i did shoulder trauma but i dont recall myself or one of my colleagues ever operating on a grade II AC joint separation.
latest report
To bring my thread back to the life. I had 8 weeks of Physio and it’s now as strong as my opposite shoulder. The only issue I have is on a flat bench press and side plank but even that twinge disappears after the first rep / 10 secs.

Back to St Anton and Tignes this feb so we will see how it works out
latest report
Good luck @DanFuller; watch out for those moguls....
snow report
Ha. I’ve earmarked the same slope I did it to ski first day
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy