Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Black Diamond skins - quality issues?

Ian.S
Ian.S
Has anyone had any problems with new BD skins? Just changed skis so my old BD ascensions are too narrow. After a frustrating day slipping in a skinning track I decided to buy some wider ones. First problem - the heads sheared off two of the break-off screws while inserting them, both in the same position on the front fixing, so I assume the right-hand of the 3 pilot holes was not drilled properly when manufactured. Second problem - the glue is rubbish. Neither skin will stick to the ski properly, or even to the other skin. Again I assume this is some sort of manufacturing fault? Surely I shouldn't have to re-glue new skins? Now left with 2 useless sets of skins and a large hole in my credit card Sad
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sounds like either a faulty batch, or maybe very old stock. Which model of skins are they?

I've only ever used G3 skins, and have never experienced any issues of that type from new.
snow report
 Ian.S
Ian.S
Black Diamond Ascension STS 125mm. Bought from Technique Extreme in Chamonix so I'm expecting a Gallic shrug if I take them back.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Ian.S, as above - sounds like a faulty batch or very old stock that has been on the shelf for some time - I have used BD Ascensions & Glidelites for years and have never had a problem (let alone had to reglue them...).Take them back...
snow report
 Ian.S
Ian.S
Thanks for the ideas. Interesting idea that glue might 'go off' if the stock is old - hadn't thought of that. Anyway, I will be taking them back, and I've e-mailed BD as well to see what they say.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Have to say my 1 year old BD skins don't stick as well as my 5 year old BD's.... Also they tend to lift slightly at the edges giving a concave look to the skin when it's fitted, neither seems to affect the performance though!
snow report
 Ian.S
Ian.S
Strangely they have now started to stick properly - maybe it was some combination of brand new skins and the temperature indoors when I was fitting them and cutting to size. Weird. I'd agree that the glue on newer BD skins isn't what it used to be.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ian.S wrote:
Strangely they have now started to stick properly

Had you newly wax your skis prior to using them when they struggled to stick?

Regards,

Nick
snow conditions
 Ian.S
Ian.S
Nope. Made a complete t*t of myself too when I took them back to the shop this morning to show them the problem! They do come with what looks like waxed or plasticised paper protecting them when new - perhaps they need to "cure" or have a bit of use to get fully functional?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy