Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Do I have to like reds? I'm so slowwww...

Poster: A snowHead
@maggi, that was a great post! you are so right about the Tbars, I hate them too, but thankfully I haven't been in a resort with a T Bar in years. My problem was riding it with my dh, he always made my side go up a bit higher, so it used to catch my hip and I would be in agony by the end of it. I would ski off, and once the blighter let it go and it hit me at the back of the head as I skied away. Evil or Very Mad . I am still not sure if he intended to do it or not. lol
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
bambionskiis wrote:
T bars freak me out too which doesn't help

I don't know anyone who likes T-bars, I hate the things. In St Anton last month I went up one on my own and it was so steep it scared the living sh*t out of me! (top of the Valluga for those who know it), I've never gripped anything so tight in my life!!

Nothing wrong with skiing slowly - a leisurely cruise along a nice blue practising carving is a pleasure.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I hate black runs, I over think my skiing and almost always bail but I just do them anyway. I just take them slowly, by traversing or edge harder on short turns and take pit stops. I do them to build confidence more than anything.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

I don't know anyone who likes T-bars

That's why I like them Toofy Grin
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
good on you.......life is a journey not a race......so why not apply that rule to skiing! NehNeh
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm back. Still the slowest skier of all time.

But I didn't fall, didn't injure myself or anyone else.

I stayed on blue runs but there was one bit of a run which was red to start with and I almost sh*t myself. Not nice but I got down it twice, but this year I'm afraid my bottle has gone. I should have had lessons again but I was so nervous because on the outside, my technique isn't bad and it looks like I'm ready to go higher and steeper. But inside, my heart is pounding and I just daren't. So I skipped the lessons. I think it's a psychiatrist I need, not a ski instructor. Sad

Lovely holiday, but I hate myself for not daring to do a bit more.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Perception of steepness, and indeed danger, varies according to ones sense of being able to cope with what lies ahead.

For example: There was a 'steep drop', to the left of a shallow path that I used to shy away from, with that hollow stomach feeling. Three years later, having cracked a particular technique issue, I found myself glancing at the same slope thinking it looked rather nice to ski, before suddenly realising the gut-fear it used to induce in me Shocked

There's absolutely nothing wrong with enjoying blue runs - there are loads that are classics (and they often lead to really nice bars and cafés). However, it can be useful to be at least comfortably tolerant of reds as there are some places where reds provide worthwhile connections and there are a few places where, frankly, what should be called red has been called blue as it's the only option rolling eyes

In all, what I'm saying is, keep on as you are - enjoying those blues - and keep on with the lessons. One day, I reckon, somebody will teach you/show you/suggest to you something that suddenly makes the reds less daunting and subsequently, you'll wonder what all the fuss was about wink

Meanwhile, don't hate yourself for anything - just enjoy what you love snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thank you so much for these wise words. If I could go back today, I would have 3 days private lessons. Next year, I will make sure I book them. I missed so much lovely scenery because I was too chicken to join in with the rest of my friends. Spent a lot of time on my own, which was a bit sad. Still, at least I'm lucky enough to have been able to go in the first place. Edited to add... also, next year, I shall make sure I am fitter. I did not prepare for my holiday and I know now that I should have.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Where did you go?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Les Arcs 2000. Went last year and I was much better than this year. I seem to have lost my mojo. Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The fear of speed is actually nothing to do with the speed itself and the neither are steep slopes inately scary. The fear is the ability to control the speed and the ability to avoid hurting oneself. If I went down a steep slope on a bicycle I would be able to go quite fast and I would not be scared. I am quite an experienced cyclist, I would know the capabilities of the bicycle and I would know my ability to control it's speed and direction, even in an emergency. I would make a risk judgement - you can never rule out a fall - in order to minimise hurting myself. Now if I was on a skateboard on the same hill. My skateboard experience is minimal and my capabilities and that of the board would be very much an unknown so even though I'd love to go pretty quick I would bail out pretty sharpish.

You need to build your toolkit piece by piece in a variety of ways. It's not just one thing. It will require a bit of mental fortitude. You wall fall. You won't suddenly not be scared. But persevere and bit by bit it will get better. Actively seek out ideas of how to improve and then actually implement them. You may have to break off from your main group and either ski by yourself or perhaps with one or two others - at least for a short time every now and again. So here some throughts and things to try:

1. Work on skiing a variety of difference turns and turn radiuses - look up BRAQUAGE, kick turns - do short carved turns and long ones.

2. Practice hockey stops, 360's, little jumps, standing kick turn, side slipping and snowploughing

3. Ski moguls

4. Ski the fall line

5. Ski in poor visibility getting used to feeling your way

6. Find a nice even but steepish slope with a nice run out with not too many people and see challenge yourself to straightline it higher and higher up the slope - allow yourself to make a turn if the fear kicks in

7. Learn various drill exercises like those listed in this post and have a go

8. gradually increase the steepness of slopes you do all of the above

It's about pulling together the toolkit to cope with whatever is thrown at you in addition to training the mind to understand what to do in every situation and be comfortable doing it.

Disclaimer: I am not an instructor

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Mon 27-03-17 15:28; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Very helpful, thank you! I so wish I didn't have to wait until next year.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
You don't! Wink

We have some very good instructors on-hand Cool

Disclaimer: I am not one of them snowHead
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
bambionskiis wrote:
Thanks for the words skidipidity, and others really helpful and for the tip about MP3 isnowhead, I'll look into it.

Not wishing to sound like a stalker but we skied in Norway at Christmas and are in Obertauern this week so have seen your name and comments a couple of times and, as a nervous, intermediate middle-aged parent, wanted to share my lightbulb moment. I strangled the joy out of running by obsessing about gear, gait and PBs and found myself at risk of doing the same, new to skiing in my 40s.

Make skiing your sanctuary from the constant pressure to succeed and improve: work and parenting provides an endless supply of impossible deadlines and homework-nagging. With practice and coaching, improvement will probably follow but don't allow a constant feeling of inadequacy to be the pervading emotion. Our family motto when we ski is "We go up a mountain together. Then, we go down a mountain together". If I start to ask the youngest why she snow-ploughs when she turns to the left, my other half will jab me with a pole.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Layne wrote:
T

1. Work on skiing a variety of difference turns and turn radiuses - look up BRAQUAGE, kick turns - do short carved turns and long ones.

2. Practice hockey stops, 360's, little jumps, standing kick turn, side slipping and snowploughing

3. Ski moguls

4. Ski the fall line

6. Find a nice even but steepish slope with a nice run out with not too many people and see challenge yourself to straightline it higher and higher up the slope - allow yourself to make a turn if the fear kicks in

It's about pulling together the toolkit to cope with whatever is thrown at you in addition to training the mind to understand what to do in every situation and be comfortable doing it.

That seems to me to be absolutely designed to put the OP off skiing. I would recommend doing none of that but following the previous poster's advice. Just enjoy what you enjoy.
snow conditions
emwmarine wrote:
Layne wrote:
T

3. Ski moguls

4. Ski the fall line

That seems to me to be absolutely designed to put the OP off skiing. I would recommend doing none of that but following the previous poster's advice. Just enjoy what you enjoy.

Read the OP's comments above on their trip this season. Sounds like there was a lack of enjoyment. That was the only reason I commented at all.
snow conditions
Zayna99 wrote:
But I didn't fall, didn't injure myself or anyone else.

I stayed on blue runs but there was one bit of a run which was red to start with and I almost sh*t myself. Not nice but I got down it twice, but this year I'm afraid my bottle has gone. I should have had lessons again but I was so nervous because on the outside, my technique isn't bad and it looks like I'm ready to go higher and steeper. But inside, my heart is pounding and I just daren't. So I skipped the lessons. I think it's a psychiatrist I need, not a ski instructor. Sad

Not necessarily a physchiatrist but sounds like the issues you're having aren't necessarily ski related.

I'm no expert skier, certainly not an instructor and no head doctor...but here's what I find works for me in skiing confidently.

1) Feeling relaxed - when I'm tense (e.g when on steep, icy slopes in bad visibility) my skiing is terrible. When I'm chilled out it comes more naturally and I don't have problems.
2) Not worrying about falling - Easier said than done, thankfully I'm thick so it comes naturally. On the times that I do worry about falling I tense up and then fall over. Plus when I do fall I'm not relaxed so it's quite a jolt. Putting all that to one side just allows me to think about the skiing. When I do fall (which happens) hopefully it's in a way that I can laugh at.
3) Going back to gentle slopes - That's basically what you're doing. I've skied some runs that I've felt out of control on, so go back to practicing technique on pistes that I'm confident on. THat way I improve my skills and my confidence at the same time.
4) Trying new things - Sometimes it's best to just go for it. There are a few runs that I've done that were much easier in practice than what I expected them to be.
snow report
Thank you all. Layne... there was a lack of enjoyment on some days. I was disappointed with myself and ridiculously annoyed that I'm not the girl I was. Girl, lol, I'm 56 this year. In the past I have ridden mad horses, I've scuba dived on shipwrecks in tropical and British waters, I can ice skate, drive a truck, stand on a stage and sing to hundreds of people, but for some reason (and I suspect it's because I'm a certain age), I've a fear of everything. I like the idea of finding a steepish slope and going down it faster and faster, that would work and I don't know why I didn't have a go. I was busy practising turning and stopping. rolling eyes Can I ask what you mean please when you say 'ski the fall line'?
ski holidays
@Zayna99, I knew a guy once who was in his early 30's, drove a sports car, played rugby. He went skiing, was like a kitten and hated it. I have a problem in water. Nothing is guaranteed, most people have things they are less than comfortable with.

On the age thing. Could be. My wife has got more conservative as she has gotten older. And she is still only 44! She can and will ski anything though. Sometimes she just would rather not. And sometimes she will ski at a more leisurely pace than me for example. I am not a danger freak or a need for speed merchant as such but I like a challenge and doing fast sweeping turns when there aren't many people or obstacles is exhiliriating. But I like to feel comfortable and safe doing so.

Skiing the fall line means skiing directly down the slope keeping to a line that would occur if you fell. The idea is to get your upper body facing down the slope and simply making the legs do all the work underneath you. It forces you to get your weight forward and prevent yourself leaning back (known as in "the back seat") and therefore controlling your speed. A lot of people on even semi-steep slopes traverse across the hill, make a full turn and traverse back the other way - facing mostly across the hill. It works but isn't really skiing the slope, more surviving it. And therefore, in my eyes at least, less enjoyable.

Skiing with children is interesting because of their variable timidness or lack of fear. It can give you an insight into your own consciousness and makes you question what is actually "dangerous" and what isn't.

A lot of things I suggested earlier can be or are meant to be fun. But I guess it might depend on your definition of fun!
latest report
This bit... "isn't really skiing the slope, more surviving it"

I ski the whole time with my brakes on. I rarely take the brakes off and let it run. I can hear my first ski instructor shouting "LET IT RUN" sometimes, and that's the only time I do, when I remind myself what the whole point of sliding down a hill is about.

It's very tiring, the way I ski. Very. My poor old legs are in knots by the end of the day. Shocked
snow report
@Zayna99, it might be sacrilegious to say this on snowHeads, but have you thought about taking up a different sport instead?
snow report
Zayna99 wrote:
This bit... "isn't really skiing the slope, more surviving it"

I ski the whole time with my brakes on. I rarely take the brakes off and let it run. I can hear my first ski instructor shouting "LET IT RUN" sometimes, and that's the only time I do, when I remind myself what the whole point of sliding down a hill is about.

It's very tiring, the way I ski. Very. My poor old legs are in knots by the end of the day. Shocked

The question really is, when you do "let it run" can you remember what that feels like? Do you want to do it again? If the answer is "No" then as Hurtle suggests perhaps cross country skiing or another sport entirely is the way to go. If the answer is "Yes", then great - you have a future.
snow conditions
@Zayna99, Something I find helps at the top of a more challenging run is, before I set off, to take a deep breath and smile.
latest report
A different sport... no. When I learned, I loved it. LOVED it. I would dream about it, couldn't wait to go.

I just want my mojo back please. Sad
snow conditions
@Zayna99, It may be broken. Try going to the mojo shop and asking about a repair or replacement.
snow report
Hurtle wrote:
@Zayna99, it might be sacrilegious to say this on snowHeads, but have you thought about taking up a different sport instead?

I cast thee out!!!!
snow report
Zayna99 wrote:
A different sport... no. When I learned, I loved it. LOVED it. I would dream about it, couldn't wait to go.

I just want my mojo back please. Sad

In which case I think doing some or all of the things I suggested would help. It would also help if you could ski with someone who could act a soul mate and do the stuff with you. Skiing in a larger social group is going to make things difficult right now. The alternative is to spend some time with an instructor that can actually coach rather than simply instruct.
snow report
I love the challenge of steep blacks and riding them well but given the choice I'd rather spend my time messing about on Blues.

It's not all about speed and steeps, its just doing what you like doing......simple.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Gyro wrote:
I love the challenge of steep blacks and riding them well but given the choice I'd rather spend my time messing about on Blues.

It's not all about speed and steeps, its just doing what you like doing......simple.

Agreed, but as has probably already been mentioned, it is a good thing to at least be comfortable on reds and happy to make your way down them, even if its just so that you're easily able to make your way round the resort to ski on all the blues that you enjoy.
snow report
I couldn't agree more, I was just saying that even though I am very competent on blacks I prefer a different type of challenge other than riding steeps.
No argument that it's better if someone is more skilled but it's not the end of their skiing fun if not.
snow conditions
@Zayna99, Go to somewhere small and quiet, get out for first lifts and either have an early lunch or ski through lunchtime. Remove one of your potential sources of fear, i.e people skiing quickly around you. Get private lessons either for the morning or at lunchtime with someone with experience of teaching timid ladies. We have a couple of instructors here who spend virtually all of their time doing just that.
I don't know where you are located but if you are able to get to a snowdome and have free time go to one of the special ladies mornings or whatever they do local to you.
AND RELAX AND ENJOY BEING IN THE MOUNTAINS!
snow report
There's much more enjoyment and less fear to be experienced the more competent you get. The answer is lessons, lessons, lessons - with a competent and sympathetic instructor/coach. I don't bat an eyelid at stuff that would have rendered me $hitless 6 or 7 years ago, and I'm sure that's because my technique has, under instruction, become more reliable. (I take regular lessons all year round in a snowdome. That has the additional benefit of keeping me reasonably ski-fit.)
snow conditions
Skiing is all about confidence...and a good instructor will boost it, by providing proper technique, which gives control, which leads to confidence. Simples.
snow conditions
@Old Fartbag, er,that's what I was trying to say. Very Happy
ski holidays
Ski as you need to ski, take in the view that most miss. You have every right to be on the mountain. Those that do not want to take in the view can pass. Enjoy
Very Happy
ski holidays
Hurtle wrote:
@Old Fartbag, er,that's what I was trying to say. Very Happy

Sometimes these things are worth repeating (and I hadn't read your reply Embarassed )
snow report
Just saying "hi" from another happy to ski slowly on blues.
Red don't frighten me, it's most of the other people on reds that do!
Oh, and I ride too 🏇
Hope you are all still out there enjoying your skiing.
snow report
Wondering if you have a ski holiday done or planned for this year,
latest report
Zayna99 wrote:
I'll be honest. I don't like going fast and I don't like steep runs.
Is that terrible? I've had lessons and I will be having them every time I go skiing but I really just like cruising along nicely, not scushing along at breakneck speed.

Skiing is fun, and you should be doing what is fun for you. If you don't like steep tracks or if you like going slow, then go slow. What I really don't get are people with no idea about skiing, trying to somehow slide down world cup tracks. What for? It's not fun for sure, as none of them is skiing there. I believe they might think they are skiing, but in reality they are fighting to survive, most of them sliding majority of that run on their butts trying not to end up in hospital. It looks bad, they are scared like hell, and with group of people like this, they even spoil the fun rest of us could have there if track would be without slowly moving (or fast on butt sliding) obstacles. And I really don't think anyone would believe their bragging later on evening (if they didn't end up in hospital) how they ski down the Streif.
So don't worry what others might think, and do whatever you like and whatever is fun for you. If cruising blue runs is fun for you, then be happy doing it.
snow report
As long as you enjoy it then there's no issue in skiing blue runs slowly. There are no medals outside of competitive racing, so it's all just for fun anyway. I see an awful lot of intermediate skiers who ski way too fast for their ability and that's a real problem! Skiing slowly in control and having fun is perfectly acceptable.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy